Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy travel experience

Poster: A snowHead
Hello , really keen to return to the sella ronda and thinking of trying san cassiano this year, I have read your posts regarding local regulations but I am still confused, would really appreciate your help. Is the Italian green pass like the nhs travel code? Is the nhs code valid in Italy or do we need to do something else. A snow head mentioned downloading an app but not sure which one. Thanks so much,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have the NHS app up and running ?

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/

Once all set up and you have jumped through a few verification hoops, it will allow you to generate a covid travel pass (which is valid for 30 days).

You can download a pdf , email yourself a copy , or add to iPhone wallet (sorry no idea about android).

The pass has a QR code.
Sometimes there might be two QR codes.
The important one is for second jab (marked 2/2)

Now download the VerificaC19 app.

https://www.dgc.gov.it/web/app.html

This is what the Italians are using to scan certificates.

And open that and scan the NHS QR code.

It should then give you a green tick !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@primoz, @agw,
FWIW I drove out to Italy in August and back to the UK for 1st October and the only checks that I had en-route were at Dover by French immigration who accepted my printed (not downloaded) NHS letter and in the German (but not Luxembourg or French) hotels that I overnighted in. Plus Border Force (of course) at Calais on the return.
From this and a careful study of the requirements of the various countries I was driving through I suspect that entering the Schengen zone (at Calais or an airport such as Venice, Verona, Innsbruck etc) is where vaccination status was being checked - going from one country to another by land didn't require a check.
Whilst in Italy I went shopping quite a few times, into several (!) bars and collected some takeaways. Most (but not all) of the bars wanted to see proof, none of the shops or takeaways. People were wearing masks in all indoor situations.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Sheffskibod, very clear, going to give it go
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sheffskibod,

That’s brilliant - thanks.
I already had the NHS app on my phone so I used your link to download the Italian app as well. I created my certificate on the NHS app, emailed it to myself as a .pdf, opened the .pdf on my iPad and scanned it with the Italian app on my phone. Green tick!
The cert will expire before I need it but at least I now know if works Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Green pass App works with one click, if you want another option. Just import the pdf you downloaded into the app.

Also worth carrying a printed copy. Electronic reading system went down at Heathrow + other ports again today. It could save you a lot of waiting time. Well worth it if you have a train/coach to catch.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, I’m now confused.
As above, I scanned my NHS cert with the Italian app and got a green tick - all good. I’ve just opened the Italian app again, expecting to see the big green tick but there is none.
It appears the app only allows me to scan a QR code - I had assumed it would retain the green tick status for a month or so.
Can I use the Italian app to demonstrate to, eg. Passport control, restaurants that I am ‘fully vaxxed’ or do I have to use it to scan the QR code every time I need to demonstrate my fax status?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you using the Green Pass Italia app for this rather than the one restaurants to check your QR code (VetificaC19)?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon wrote:
So, I’m now confused.
As above, I scanned my NHS cert with the Italian app and got a green tick - all good. I’ve just opened the Italian app again, expecting to see the big green tick but there is none.
It appears the app only allows me to scan a QR code - I had assumed it would retain the green tick status for a month or so.
Can I use the Italian app to demonstrate to, eg. Passport control, restaurants that I am ‘fully vaxxed’ or do I have to use it to scan the QR code every time I need to demonstrate my fax status?

the c19verifac app is used by restaurants etc to check your QR code, rather than by individuals. You show you're QR code when requested and the establishment scans it using the app and gets a green tick. It's useful to have so you can check yourself but thats the only reaosn you need it.

We actually laminated our QR codes on a credit card sized bit of paper and used that but you can just use a paper copy, the NHS app or for iPhones add the 2nd dose QR code to your wallet. They are valid for 30 days from generation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
richb67 wrote:

the c19verifac app is used by restaurants etc to check your QR code, rather than by individuals. You show you're QR code when requested and the establishment scans it using the app and gets a green tick. It's useful to have so you can check yourself but thats the only reaosn you need it.

Yes, I had come to the conclusion that the only purpose to downloading the Italian app was to check that it will produce a geeen tick when someone else uses it to scan my QR code. So I probably won’t need it again.

Quote:

We actually laminated our QR codes on a credit card sized bit of paper and used that but you can just use a paper copy, the NHS app or for iPhones add the 2nd dose QR code to your wallet. They are valid for 30 days from generation.

Ah, lamination - good idea. That’ll start a discussion Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have booked Alta Badia for the 8th of jan, cannot wait Eh oh! , has been too long.
we are landing in Austria and we are not sure whether we need to follow Austrian regulations on entering or the Italian ones. I saw that Italy asks for an antigen test and plf, whilst with Austria you just need to be vaccinated. I am finding this new ‘world’ so complicated, thanks in advance if you know the answer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Harrow lady, In exactly the same situation. Arrive Innsbruck 8th of Jan, travelling to Arabba. Will there be a check at the Italian border?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peter w wrote:
@Harrow lady, In exactly the same situation. Arrive Innsbruck 8th of Jan, travelling to Arabba. Will there be a check at the Italian border?

As again after new years, I expect a fair few changes between now and then. But for practical purposes it will be no more than filling in new forms if anything.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interesting article about handling of the green pass in the Dolomites and what will be required.

https://www.sciaremag.it/turismo/dolomiti-superski-la-soluzione-automatica-per-validare-il-green-pass/?fbclid=IwAR1er1-UlN3-mdI8xVdzl7Qh-aCt_kmYcMTr_tPqYTN3UJ5hW1C1wbt-To8
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think this is the correct place to ask this apologies if it's elsewhere but I can't seem to find it

according to the UK government website, you need evidence of a negative test in the 48 hours prior to departure to enter Italy , either pcr or antigen (which I understand is the correct name for lateral flow tests)

My question is how do you provide this evidence? I have a bunch of lateral flow tests at home from work, but presumably I can't just use them, do I need to book a test via an approved operator, similar to the day 2 return to the UK test who then provide a certificate? Also, who is this shown to? Is it part of the Italian passenger locator?

I've only experience in heading to Spain recently, and there was no requirement to have a negative test if you could prove double vaccination
snow report
Yes you book from one of the approved suppliers. They post them to you, you do the test at the appropriate time, submit your result (and prob photo of the negative result) and you get a certificate emailed back v quickly. You may need to use it on the Italian passenger locator or show it at check in to the airline which is what we had to do for our children to get into Greece.
snow conditions
@LadyDi,
Perfect, thanks for clarifying that
ski holidays
I used Chromatics for Greece. Reasonable cost and v efficient.
snow report
Now I would appreciate some advice ...what tests would I need ..I am (hopefully .covid permiting) ..... I am driving through France to Andorra for a week then across France to L2A and then on to the Dolomites and back via Germany I have had 3 jabs (and the certificate to prove it)Puzzled
ski holidays
we aren't near any testing places so used c19testing for two trips to Italy. Do the test, take photo with passport, upload photo, get certificate a few hours later. They were recommended by a SH and worked well.
snow report
DaveD wrote:
Now I would appreciate some advice ...what tests would I need ..I am (hopefully .covid permiting) ..... I am driving through France to Andorra for a week then across France to L2A and then on to the Dolomites and back via Germany I have had 3 jabs (and the certificate to prove it)Puzzled

I just checked our PLF for Italy and if you've been in the UK within 14 days of arriving in Italy you still need a negative test certificate with test taken within 48 hrs of arrival plus your vaccination certificate.

There are various Italian government web pages (See earlier in thread re just how up to date they are..) e.g.
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto

this is the Italian PLF which should always be up to date. You can start filling this in and it'll tell you what you need.
https://app.euplf.eu/#/
snow report
So I wont need anything as I will not have been in the UK for 23 days?
snow conditions
ATM looks like you'll be ok with a vaccination cert but you need to read the links and obviously check closer the time as crossing multiple borders looks likely to become more challenging over the next few months. e.g. a colleague of mine works in Austria and lives in Germany and he tells that border between the two is becoming more difficult to cross.

The key parts of the web page above are the countries in list C where you have a few options re proof e.g. vaccinated OR proof recovered OR negative test (EU and a few others) and list D (UK and many others) where you need a test + vaccination. This is obviously only for entry to Italy.

Having recently visited Rome I did smile when I noticed that there is a list A, which is the Vatican and San Marino. Fortunately there are no restrictions for these two.

Also there is a list B - atm it has no countries on it Happy
ski holidays
@MountainIdiot, I used C19testing last week, the website was very user friendly and the service was excellent and reliable. My ‘day 2’ test certificate was back in less than 2 hours. I’ve just had the ‘pre-departure’ antigen test arrive today ready for my trip to Italy in a few weeks time plus the ‘day 2’ test as well.
They must be making thousands out of all this testing lark but if you have to do it to go skiing well I’d sooner have someone reliable do it.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, hi its me again. I read that the "pre-departure" test needs to be done within 48h of entering Italy. Any (smart) reasons you are doing it now for a trip in a few weeks' time?
ski holidays
Cookiemonsterhahaha wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, hi its me again. I read that the "pre-departure" test needs to be done within 48h of entering Italy. Any (smart) reasons you are doing it now for a trip in a few weeks' time?

I’ve just got the test ready unopened I will do the test 48 hours before as instructed.
I just got the pair of them now as time soon flies by and while I thought about it. They do come through quickly after ordering though.
snow report
You could argue that things might change by time I go (possible!) but that pre-departure test will get used for somewhere I’m sure!
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

I’ve just got the test ready unopened I will do the test 48 hours before as instructed.
I just got the pair of them now as time soon flies by and while I thought about it. They do come through quickly after ordering though.

ah ha, I'm still living in the days where a pre-departure test can only be done in a clinic! Thanks again @VolklAttivaS5
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, oh I see. No I’ve been doing the test at home ones. How I see it is, I don’t want to pack, set off at God knows what time in the morning for a 7am ski flight, drive 2-3 hours to an airport, do a test there, then find it’s (not likely but possible) positive! Oh my days. So if it’s positive well I’ve not left yet. Will just go back to bed and cry.
ski holidays
Does anyone know how to double check if the Boots in store rapid antigen test service is accepted by airlines and getting into Italy? The boots website suggests it's appropriate for travel and I can't find anything to say it isn't but obviously want to make extra sure! Worst thing would be being refused at check in.
snow conditions
@ianmercer89, it doesn’t say it’s not so it looks ok. As long as you get the certificate saying it’s negative then that’s ok.
£30 though for a lateral flow test! Shocked
Mine was £22 from C-19 testing (you can get cheaper again but I couldn’t comment on the reliability) and a friend’s latest pre-departure test certificate was back within 2 hours of submitting the result.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, oh I see. No I’ve been doing the test at home ones. How I see it is, I don’t want to pack, set off at God knows what time in the morning for a 7am ski flight, drive 2-3 hours to an airport, do a test there, then find it’s (not likely but possible) positive! Oh my days. So if it’s positive well I’ve not left yet. Will just go back to bed and cry.

Laughing just ordered a few tests from them. hopefully i won't be going back to bed and cry next week!
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

Laughing just ordered a few tests from them. hopefully i won't be going back to bed and cry next week!

Fingers crossed. It would have to be rotten luck but if it’s positive then at least you haven’t left the house for another day or so, can change the flight, make other arrangements etc
Got to be better than doing it at the airport!!
snow conditions
we've always done the free NHS test a day or so before the pre-flight test, or when we were about to reach the point were we'd lose money e.g. free cancelation up to 5 days before travel etc. If it's negative then you can chill. If it's positive then you've got a bit more notice to sort things out and you just saved min £20 odd per person. Takes 2 minutes so no big deal, fortunately never had a positive result.
latest report
@richb67, that’s a good idea. I do them twice a week for work anyway and not had a positive one yet but yes it at least gives you the heads up.
snow report
Morning. Any thoughts on what to do with double jabbed teenagers who can’t generate the Covid pass QR code as they’re under 16? How can they get into restaurants, buy a ski pass etc? Thanks
ski holidays
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Morning. Any thoughts on what to do with double jabbed teenagers who can’t generate the Covid pass QR code as they’re under 16? How can they get into restaurants, buy a ski pass etc? Thanks

There’s a whole thread on that - taking teenagers skiing this winter. Lots of us have written to our MP’s asking for teenagers to have access to QR codes as well as the opportunity to get a second jab. Without the QR code I can’t see how they can access the EU covid passport so we will have to do lateral flow tests every 48 hours.
snow conditions
Thanks, I’m on that other thread already, just thought someone here might have more Italy specific information. I saw the article above but don’t read Italian. It’s a disgrace that UK teenagers that meet the criteria can’t prove it, but in Austria at least a letter from the GP would have been sufficient. I understand that in Italy you have to have that elusive QR code?
snow conditions
I’m hoping but not expecting that it might be sorted by Feb but if not we’ll just have to do the regular tests. I don’t understand how Austria was going to work without a QR code either as that’s the basis of the covid passports. Not sure it helps but this is what I got as a reply from the hotel in Italy last week: at the moment no one knows what will be required in February, no one gives precise indications, the only sure thing is that this year you can ski only with the green pass, so if your kids don't have it as you write, they habe to do a test evry 48 hours.
Currently the test can be booked in the pharmacy of Corvara (400 m far from our Hotel) and costs € 15.00 per test.
snow conditions
Following as off to Italy 2nd January, with fingers very much crossed!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy