Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose ski pants: Helly hansen legendary vs. Black diamond recon stretch

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey, just joined and hope someone can give me some advice:

So I bought the helly hansen legendary pants for 69 bucks and the black diamond recon stretch for 139 bucks.

Which one of these pants should I choose? The helly hansen have 10000 waterproofness and breathability. But the fit is really nice.

The black diamond have 20000 waterproofness and breathability and are basically a softshell. However, they are designed to be pulled up high and and sit on the hipbone which may need some time to get used to.

I will mostly ski but may also go touring from time to time.

Which pants are ideal for me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Black Diamond is a shell - which might be more versatile, especially for touring.

At the end of the day, get whichever fits best and is the most comfortable (the HH has venting zips and good quality insulation).....as both are decent products.

BTW. Welcome to the fold. snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 29-09-21 20:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes.

With the BD shell I can just layer if necessary for touring and colder Temps.

However, they fit a bit looser than the helly hansen and I don't know if they are supposed to be like this to enable more movement?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Karmareturns wrote:
Yes.

With the BD shell I can just layer if necessary for touring and colder Temps.

However, they fit a bit looser than the helly hansen and I don't know if they are supposed to be like this to enable more movement?

I haven't warn either - but believe the BD Shell is a looser, more Freeride cut - to allow for more movement.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the greeting!

Yea, i recon the hh legendary would look better for Instagram pictures as they fit really well and look good.

But for functionality and practicality the BD shell may be the better option...

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is a review of the Female version - which I think would still apply to the Bloke's version:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-pants-womens/black-diamond-recon-stretch-pant-womens

Worth noting: "...we recommend these pants for backcountry use with occasional resort days in between." Your usage is the other way around.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes I read that review and it didn't help me much...

Because what works for Backcountry should also work on the resort (with layer underneath) or no?

Backcountry is more harsh and demands more than resort but I may be wrong...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Karmareturns wrote:
Yes I read that review and it didn't help me much...

Because what works for Backcountry should also work on the resort (with layer underneath) or no?

Backcountry is more harsh and demands more than resort but I may be wrong...

Yup.....they will of course work for either.

The BD will be better for Touring. The HH will be better for Piste. I suppose it depends how much Touring you do, as the BD will probably be better for Piste, than the HH will be for Touring.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiing, touring, touring, skiing, park, snowboard, snowshoe etc etc ... the ones that fit and you like the colour of
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They are both the same color...

Yea snowshoeing was also something I was going to do besides skiing and touring.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve got recon stretch bibs. Bought this season and done about 20 days in them, inbounds and touring, mix of conditions, no complaints.

Have gone from well below zero to well above zero. A merino base is all I have needed, venting is great, easy to dump heat on the legs, and I really like the deep pockets over the legs. Don’t use them to carry stuff but super handy to dump things in while faffing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy