Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Van Deer Ski - new kid on the block

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like Marcel Hirscher has parted ways with atomic and has launched his own ski brand “Van Deer” press conference is currently on going but the website has launched.

www.vandeer.ski

They will be hand built in Austria and produce race, freeride and touring skis.

I wonder if he will have success with the brand and what drove the decision to move away from atomic.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty ropey website? Cant find the ski specs, the International websales distributor doesnt have them listed

A bit of an early launch.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
auf Deutsch

https://www.laola1.at/de/red/wintersport/ski-alpin/news/ski-marcel-hirscher-ueber-zukunftsplaene/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really independent from Atomic or are Amer making and it's a play into super premium for them?

Bode didn't exactly set the world alight with Bomber and has now gone to Crosson which I predict will result in a few very wealthy Americans skiing nice skis and a shrug from the rest of the ski world.

Ski racers sorta sell, retired ski racers - I'm not convinced, though Rahlves has clearly had a respectable role with Atomic Freeride.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I don't think it will work all too well. It takes a little more then just one person on photo to develop skis, no matter if it's race or powder ski, with that it takes even more to develop proper race ski (I have been in World cup long enough to know how much stuff is there behind fast ski development). And one guy, even if that's Hirscher, is simply not enough to do that. So in best case, it will be mediocre ski, which in few years noone will even know about. For first year or two, I'm sure their sale will be high, as lot of people will want them, but after that, I don't think it will work on long run. Other equipment sure, but skis, I don't think so. But let's wait and see, I'm sure I won't have them, but that doesn't mean a thing Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, so I say they are independent - and I base this on the fact they had look bindings on the skis at the press conference - and as far as I recall look is not affiliated with atomic or amer sports in anyway - had the bindings been atomic then I would have said okay there is some partnership going on.

Then again it may be an atomic factory producing the skis - though can't see why then look bindings are being used.

I guess the difference between Bode and Hirscher is that the latter has near god status in a country that has skiing as the national sport - so he has a much better chance than "bombing" at it like Bode - then again Bode was after a target market and I heard that the ski was phenomenal.

Edit: Just noticed that Dominic Tritscher who is the partner in the project with Hirscher is (maybe was) Atomic's sport marketing manager
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to the internet, Marcel's Dad used to fettle and try his race skis while Marcel's younger brother has been in the ski manufacturing business for around 15 years.

Most of these type of startups have been using a stars name for marketing a product at a premium but the product hasn't really been better than what's in the market for the same price range. (e.g. Maier & Lasse Kjus sportswear). Jon Olsson has had success with Douchebags though.
Suspect it's the need to still be involved and be prominent in a sector he once truly dominated. He's only 32, a bit young to retire and I think it would kill him to do nothing, he's too driven and needs a challenge.

Many ski stars here go into owning hotels or the sports equipment industry. Maybe it's just a matter of time before he turns up with a frilly shirt on Dancing Stars (like ex tdf cyclist Bernard Kohl).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really not a good start for a premium brand putting up a website that google considers insecure.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like they are made by Augment (formerly Croc) in Mittersill. No idea if Augment own the factory. Now despite extensive pimping on places like Pugski/skitalk I'm not sure Augment have ever had any traction in Europe (certainly no one ever asks about them here - but then we aren't really a wannabe racer forum) so maybe this is really sticking an alternate brand on their stuff to attempt to break out?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, I know people with Augment skis in Europe.

Blossom make skis for other brands as well as selling their own, that business model may work for Augment too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Augment, actually that time still Croc had pretty good first year on WC after they start. Getting chief designer of Nordica race department, who accidentally brought all the data from Nordica with him, made it quite easy to have good GS skis... for a year. But without proper race team, and that means proper testing and development without any serious feedback from top racers, second year (and every new one after that) was just going down, to somewhere like being no company of no relevance nowadays, just few years after start.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@primoz,

Hirscher is looking for real racers (esp. Austrian) to use his skis. Wants to have a professional using his skis in the worldcup during the 22/23 season.

Article in German
https://www.msn.com/de-at/sport/nachrichten/hirscher-scoutet-athleten-weltcup-einstieg-schon-fix/ar-AAP1FTJ?ocid=entnewsntp
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some more development in Marcel’s world, seems he is stealing a few headlines in advance of the World Cup opener.

1. He has followed in the footsteps of Svindal and launched a fashion line with ski apparel https://www.the-mountain-studio.com/

2. Ski helmet is now red bull sponsored - if you recall he use to have his helmet sponsored by raiffeisen

3. The relationship with atomic must have really not been working - he is now in Lange boots! The blue boot is after all the best boot

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@barracuda, he also got pretty deep into professional level (I think) enduro motocross, until he injured himself pretty badly this summer.

I think he’s just kinda bored and looking for his next big thing after ski racing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, well my OH, an ex-top Fashionista would say that his colour co-ordination is somewhat lacking Laughing
snow conditions
@clarky999, I wouldn't say he's bored. I was talking with him some half year ago, and it felt like he's just having fun. It actually felt like he's having more fun, then when I was seeing him and talking with him on WC races. So enduro, or these skis/clothes is not boredom thing. Enduro was his long time fun, but when you have other job to do, you kinda take it less serious and more carefully, as he shouldn't get injured on enduro, when whole ski season was infront. Skis/clothes is I guess just something to cash in his name and get some decent income out of it. It's understandable, even though I still think skis are not the way to go. But then again, what do I know Smile
ski holidays
barracuda wrote:

omg, he looks like a holiday billy in that pic. C&A jacket, Peter Storm salopettes badly put on, some gardening gloves and a potty on his head.

actually I've no idea who he is ...
snow conditions
I love his look. I'm dayglo orange and colour matched so everyone knows I'm atgni
snow report
https://skiracing.com/charlie-raposo-is-the-first-athlete-signed-to-van-deer/

Interesting to see how this pans out. Can't hurt to be mentored by MH even if his skis are an unknown quantity.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy