Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires new la masse gondola

Poster: A snowHead
getting excited for my xmas trip now, i received an email from Les Menuires website today informing of lift opening date (4th dec), and confirmation that the new high speed gondola taking you direct from the base to La Masse summit in 8 minutes will be opening as well.

its great that the old La Masse 1 gondola will still be in place to allow for skiers access to the lower slopes, but this will be a good addition as it will not only help in the morning rush, but allow for pedestrians to access the summit as well.

some of the people who will be going on our feb half term trip are non skiers, and they like to either do the walking trails, or take the gondolas where available, so this will be one more option, especially to take in the fabulous views and a nice resto at the top.

will be interested to see where the start of the new lift will be from, as not sure there would have been much room alongside where the existing LM1 gondola sits, to fit another gondola station?

only downside is i will now have to wait and see if there will be a new, updated, fabric lift map from the wipe-out store available by then Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
terrygasson wrote:
will be interested to see where the start of the new lift will be from, as not sure there would have been much room alongside where the existing LM1 gondola sits, to fit another gondola station?

It's right next to the Reberty lift, at right angles to it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers @Raceplate,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@terrygasson, a very useful addition and 8 minutes is an impressive time from base to summit.
One of my favourite areas in 3V.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's some pics from 3 weeks ago. The giant cable reel came up the mountain on the back of a lorry from Italy along with 2 support trucks with cranes. Mr P v excited about taking a look and checking the specs and stats. If anyone is interested-the cable was 6950 m long, and weighed 95 tonnes.. Shocked

(Pics of the big red lorry with the fully loaded cable reel are also available for any nerds out there on request wink )

The route goes up more to the left hand side, over the drag lift and I think will tempt people towards Dame Blanche and also to the top of the drag lift-so more bods will head towards the OP on that side i think..boo hoo-such a great spot on a fresh snow day!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Such a shame the old Rocher Noire three seater chair has gone though. That was a lovely peaceful way to start the day
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
planning my trip for Jan 2022
Any COVID limitations I have to take into consideration?
4 Adults after 3 vaccinations
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Perty, nice pictures, as an engineering nerd myself, i love seeing these developments taking shape. hopefully when i see it in the flesh at xmas it will be surrounded by lovely snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

@andy1234,
Quote:

Such a shame the old Rocher Noire three seater chair has gone though. That was a lovely peaceful way to start the day

that's a shame, i didn't realize the old chair was going.
it could be a good alternative to get up the mountain, especially if its busy or a sunny day and you just want to chill out with mates/family.

i still miss the old ramses 1 and 2 lifts from mottaret up to the top of saluire for these reasons as well
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Meanwhile, pictures ate on social media of a gondola at Courchevel at a somewhat relish angle. It looks like the Saulire (sp?), but can't cross post the photo at the moment. I sure Me Dauphine will be on the case soon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As if by magic:

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2021/09/29/courchevel-les-cabines-de-la-saulire-fortement-endommagees-lors-d-un-essai
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The big (BIG) downside of the new lift is that it is a one-shot bottom-to-top lift - no mid-station (as I understand it). Great in theory, except for those days where the good snow is above a certain altitude and you really just want to be lapping up high to stay out of the heavy/not fun snow (or out of the valley cloud or similar), or simply when you just want to lap the fun terrain which mostly is above the old mid-station level without having to bang out an extra 400m vert down to the valley.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 7-11-21 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@offpisteskiing, exactly
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
The big (BIG) downside of the new lift it that it is a one-shot bottom-to-top lift - no mid-station (as I understand it).
That's just ridiculous. Kicking Horse take 2 (which is equally ridiculous) Confused

Penny pinching in the extreme? Never mind questions of snow conditions bottom vs top, what about when it's dumping snow or blowing a gale?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought they were leaving la masse 1 in (for the time being)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stevew, they are, but that serves the lower half of the mountain. It's the upper half you'd most likely want to lap.
latest report
@denfinella, there is the lac noir but it is tedious and doesn't go to the peak, does anyone know if a replacement top lift is on the game plan?
ski holidays
Lac Noir has been removed too unfortunately Sad
snow conditions
Bummer. What about the drag to Dame Blanche. Probably one of my favourite runs, in the sun and out of the way of any lifts eyc
latest report
Drag is still there. I believe the only remaining lifts will be that drag, Masse 1 (bottom one) and the new gondola.
snow report
Yes, the drag lift is still there, and I reckon it will get a lot more use, so be prepared for your fave OP stashes off the drag and down Dame Blanches to get skied out more quickly.
snow report
Will the Saulire cabins be ready for use this winter or is the damage too bad ? Re the news above from last week, "fortement endommagées" does not sound good
latest report
As long as they start opening it in the summer again, I'll be happy! wink
snow report
@Geh, I heard from my daughter who is there that end of Feb opening
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
The big (BIG) downside of the new lift it that it is a one-shot bottom-to-top lift - no mid-station (as I understand it). Great in theory, except for those days where the good snow is above a certain altitude and you really just want to be lapping up high to stay out of the heavy/not fun snow (or out of the valley cloud or similar), or simply when you just want to lap the fun terrain which mostly is above the old mid-station level without having to bang out an extra 400m vert down to the valley.

Agreed!

1) Not so good in spring when we will be forced to ski back to the valley in slush; and 2) The upper runs will now be a lot busier. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
hi all, seeing as i am currently in Les Menuires, i thought i would give a thread update on the new La Masse gondola.

i have used it a few times this week, it is super quick to get up to the top, and the new top station is impressive. you have near 360 degree views around the station, with helpful directional guides placed on the glazed barriers to inform you what peaks you are looking at.

it is good for pedestrians to be able to access La Masse now, and lots of people having picnics up there, but it could do with some form of benches or seating, as they were having to sit down on the paved floor.

i am sure that the owners of the restaurant at the top are happy now, as you have to go past them to get to the slopes, and presumably more footfall for them, whereas before you would generally turn right out of the top station and miss them.

As others have said, the downside is that you cannot access the top now without going back down to the very bottom and taking the gondola back up. i am sure all the planning for this was done pre-pandemic, but not having the old rocher noir and lac noir chairs, means having to take a gondola, whereas using the chairs meant you could still get quite high up the mountain.

obviously La Masse 1 is still operational, which in theory allows novices to go up to the old mid station and down again.

to be honest this week, due to covid, I have tried to avoid the busy gondolas as much as possible, and only using chairs where i can. there have been a couple of times i have gone to use the new La Masse gondola, but the queues were quite long, so i bailed out and either gone up the old La Masse 1, or the reberty chair and skied elsewhere.

i have also used this tactic to access the orelle valley, as the cime caron telepherique has been busy, so instead have used the portette chair and thorens gondola to reach it this way, as generally has been near empty.
snow conditions
terrygasson wrote:
i am sure that the owners of the restaurant at the top are happy now, as you have to go past them to get to the slopes, and presumably more footfall for them, whereas before you would generally turn right out of the top station and miss them.

They've sold up! What was one of my favourite good value and usually quiet self-service restaurants with friendly owners has been replaced by a fancy and expensive restaurant (that had almost no customers last week when I was there several times) and an over-priced snack hut. The cheeseburger from the hut was ok but at €13 sans frites is hardly cheap. The burgers at any of the VT huts or McThorens are as good or better for less money and a cheeseburger sans frites in Mottaret is €6.50, literally half price.

Yet another cheap lunch venue gone from the 3Vs. rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy