Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemarking with Scott Superguide 88?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
Just joining this forum after a few visits - been impressed with some good chat in other threads, so I thought I'd try posting this question out there:
Does anyone have recent experience with the Scott Superguide 88 as a telemark ski?
I'm thinking of the latest 2020-21 and beyond model - I'm not sure how similar it is to the previous one. It's in Telemark Pyrenees as a tele ski. On paper it hits the sweet spot in terms of weight/width/type for my touring needs, but I got my hands on a pair in my local shop and found they were pretty stiff... noticeably stiffer than my equivalent Black Crows Orb Freebird (AT setup) and the Black Crows Navis (Tele setup). They had an even flex tip and tail, but it took some flexing. The Navis by comparison have a surprisingly soft tail compared to shovel - I can't say I'd clocked that before but it might explain some of the odd handling at times.
A previous thread had a short discussion about stiff vs soft telemark skis - what are folks' experiences of this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Unbonski, welcome to SH's. Smile its a great ski but my concern would be that there is no metal in it and the binding screws would pull out. If you are light weight might not be an issue. Most Black Crow skis use a Ti sheet under the binding area and they dont recommend for telemarking.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure of this is at all useful given I don't tele but I have a few days on superguide 88s with AT bindings.
I'd just confirm that they ARE remarkably stiff for their weight. The edge grip and carving performance is remarkable for their weight. They are (by modern standards) quite conventionally rockered, cambered. I've not tried them in real powder conditions (I have other skis!) but I imagine that they are less fun for that. They are really well adapted for spring conditions - denser spring snow and firm conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replying! I think the Superguide does have a titanium sheet underfoot and it’s available in various places as a Telemark ski. I had been aware that Black Crows don’t approve teles on their Freebird skis but I’ve had Rottafella freeride bindings on the regular Navis for a few years now and no hint of issues. My main concern is whether the stiffness might hinder me, or if it doesn’t matter due to the more even flex.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unbonski wrote:
Thanks for replying! I think the Superguide does have a titanium sheet underfoot and it’s available in various places as a Telemark ski. I had been aware that Black Crows don’t approve teles on their Freebird skis but I’ve had Rottafella freeride bindings on the regular Navis for a few years now and no hint of issues. My main concern is whether the stiffness might hinder me, or if it doesn’t matter due to the more even flex.

actually I think that is right about the metal - I mounted the bindings and think spyderjon warned me about the drill blunting properties!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Unbonski, Seen plenty of folk teleing on Scott skis, not too stiff in any way. In my experience skis mounted tele ski a bit softer than they for mounted alpine.. so I think you'll be fine Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Unbonski, sorry man, i didn't see any mention of Ti in the Superguide specs, my bad. Should be great skis for you. I was looking at them for alpine touring and musta missed the metal layer..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:
@Unbonski, sorry man, i didn't see any mention of Ti in the Superguide specs, my bad......

They don't mention the titanal binding mount area in their spec - just to lull my drill bits in to a false sense of security Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your helpful comments! At the end of the day they could well be worth the punt I think!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Unbonski, I have 88's which I've clocked up a fair amount of vertical on (I spend all season nigh on touring), I have however migrated to the 105's and in fact pretty well use those all the time, and I think the 88's only had a few outings this past season.

What I would say is make sure the bindings are mounted well, as think it was the second descent of last season I ripped my front binding off!

Didn't know what happened as all of a sudden at speed I fell coming out of a hard turn then hurtled down the slope sans ski coming to a rest just as two others were skinning up and they spotted the binding still attached to my boot before I did Laughing

KenX, did a good job repairing it with larger inserts and I skied all season with them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, Did your repair man notice if there is a metal layer in the 105 when putting in the inserts? I am still dubious that the latest model have a Ti sheet, especially seeing this pull out in a touring binding. A tele binding would last about an hour Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret, I'm pretty sure that there was no metal layer, as at first, I thought the core was at fault.

Though as it transpired was not the ski but numpties in a very well regarded ski touring/ mountaineering shop who mounted them who messed up!

And I've just ordered up, hopefully, some new 105's for the coming season, along with some guide poles, as it was that fall that saw me bend my new poles as well !

Further Edit: can't get skis till mid-Dec, so that does not work for me, so does that point to a ski shortage as well, better start panic buying Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimottaret, there is a titanium plate in the binding mount area, a local ski shop did the original install and all the holes were volcanoed.......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, thanks good to know for future reference
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skimottaret, titanal actually, I typed that but it came out titanium, damn you autocorrect Very Happy
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
......I am still dubious that the latest model have a Ti sheet, especially seeing this pull out in a touring binding......

Yes they do, I drilled some today. However, a guy of your stats is always going to putting a huge strain on a tele binding that's mounted on a lightweight ski - especially when using older four screw designs like G3 Targa's and Rottefella Cobra's etc. You'll get far better screw retention from Meidjo's and 22 Designs models etc. When mounting any tele binding on a lightweight ski I'd stongly recommend mounting with QK inserts for greater pull-out strength.
ski holidays
Hello and welcome. Never used them - if Telemark-Pyrenees say yes- then - yes!

Who doesn't like telemarking on light skis?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy