Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2021 / 2022

Poster: A snowHead
@sbooker, have a look at https://brasseriepsb.com/ - a micro brewery in Bourg, with its own (v small) bar. Run by a New Zealander iirc, and supplies a number of establishments throughout the area. Very nice stuff.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll wrote:
@sbooker, have a look at https://brasseriepsb.com/ - a micro brewery in Bourg, with its own (v small) bar. Run by a New Zealander iirc, and supplies a number of establishments throughout the area. Very nice stuff.

+ 1 vote for PSB, was in there last Friday and can recommend their 'FreeRider' Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Changes to the resort shuttle services due to staffing challenges announced today, via the Marie’s Facebook page:
Quote:
The Transdev company is facing great difficulties in recruiting and maintaining a sufficient number of drivers to honor the service it has committed. The operation of inter-station shutters and valley base has been heavily impacted since the season started.

Despite the efforts made by the municipal services to overcome these difficulties, we are forced to reorganize the timetable grids of the shuttle to ensure regular and satisfactory service during the day.

Starting from Saturday, February 5, 2022 and until the end of the winter season:

>> Inter-Station Shuttles:
- The shuttles will no longer be circulating every night until 23h: the last rotation from the funicular platform will start at 21h15 to Arc 1800, Arc 1950 and Arc 2000.
- Seasonal workers' work out taken into account on all 4 sites (including the post ends of 19h30 for correspondence of the funicular to 20h).

>> Chantel shuttle:
- Operations every 20 minutes: from Sunday to Friday 9:30 am to 12:00 pm and from 16:00 to 20:00, on Saturday from 8 am to 12 pm and from 15:00 to 20:00.

>> SNCF Station shuttle -> funicular on Saturdays:
- Operations only on SATURDAY 19 FEBRUARY and 26 FEBRUARY from 11:00 to 19:00 with a cut of 45 min around 15:00,
- SNCF Road Station Departure: Quay #18 (Transporter: the SAT)

>> Valleys bottom shuttle:
- Operating at about 60% of the initial schedule.

The function of the funicular on Thursday evening until 11pm is on hold.

DISCOVER THE INTEGRITY OF NEW HOURS Eh oh! https://www.lesarcs.com/se-deplacer/navettes/bourg-saint-maurice.html

We know the difficulties faced by users and are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience. We assure you to do our best to keep the maximum functioning of this free service, offered to vacationers, workers, residents.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski pass question.
We are 2 adults + 2 'juniors' (16yrs and 17yrs).
Looks like I can get a family pass 6 days which gives me a EUR30 discount on the adult prices so EUR295 each for the week.

I've asked the hotel we are staying at if they can help organise passes, which they can, but they charge a commission on top; fair enough - its less faffage for us.

For an individual pass, they're adding about EUR10 on top of the ticket office price - not unreasonable.
For the family pass, they're adding about EUR30 per individual on top of the ticket office price - seems a bit excessive.

I am tempted to sack off the hotel offer and trudge down to the pass office at 1800 on Monday morning and just pick up myself. We're staying at the Mercure so its only about a 5 min walk down to the pass office.

Having said that, we are arriving in half term week, so its going to be busy. We don't arrive in resort until late Sunday evening so pass office will be shut. If I rock up at 8am on Monday morning, is there going to be an almighty queue to get passes? Or do most people sort them out when they arrive on the saturday / sunday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@yllen, buy online.

I certainly wouldn't pay someone 10/30 Euro's even if I had to go the lift pass office myself.

We self cater and more often than not the agency will do it (for free) and give them on arrival. If not I do it online, if not go to lift pass office myself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yllen wrote:
Having said that, we are arriving in half term week, so its going to be busy. We don't arrive in resort until late Sunday evening so pass office will be shut. If I rock up at 8am on Monday morning, is there going to be an almighty queue to get passes? Or do most people sort them out when they arrive on the saturday / sunday.

Just on this - most people sort it out on Sat/Sun - Monday morning should be quiet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
@yllen, buy online.

If not I do it online, if not go to lift pass office myself.

Right - but both options still require shlepping down to the pass office Monday morning, since if I buy online I've still got to collect; presumably from the self-service point rather than the office itself?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Separate but related question;
Will the pass stations / offices require us to show our covid passes before issuing ski passes?
So all 4 of us will have to go down; I can't pick them all up myself?
From the paradiski website:

"Checks will take place:
* At the skipass sales outlets"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
yllen wrote:
Layne wrote:
@yllen, buy online.

If not I do it online, if not go to lift pass office myself.

Right - but both options still require shlepping down to the pass office Monday morning, since if I buy online I've still got to collect; presumably from the self-service point rather than the office itself?

Can be delivered from what I can see:

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/pickupsites
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yllen wrote:
Will the pass stations / offices require us to show our covid passes before issuing ski passes?

"Checks will take place:

They could do but from what I've read on here they mostly don't.

Worst case, if you don't do it via online/machine and they do ask you will have to call them to arms but I think it's highly unlikely you will need to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@yllen, Why not buy online and have them posted to your home address. Or are you going out next week. My memory is that it takes about a week for them to post them to your home address.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
@yllen, Why not buy online and have them posted to your home address. Or are you going out next week. My memory is that it takes about a week for them to post them to your home address.

Website says they need 15 days notice for international postage.
7 days for French domestic.

"2.50 € for shipping within France (order possible up to 7 days before your first day of skiing).
4 € for international shipping (order possible up to 15 days before your first day of skiing)."

I'll just order online, have it sent to the 'Quick Purchase' point at the bottom of the TransArc and pick up there.

Thanks for all the pointers!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yllen wrote:

"Checks will take place:

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and my friends bought passes on 2 separate days and weren't asked for any COVID passes prior to purchase.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly76 wrote:
yllen wrote:

"Checks will take place:

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and my friends bought passes on 2 separate days and weren't asked for any COVID passes prior to purchase.

similarly over Christmas
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Help - we’re going to be in Bourg St M this weekend and want to meet our friends for an evening meal on Sunday. Our local knowledge is at least 20 years out of date Shocked Any recommendations for a good place for supper in the town - we looked at l’Arssiban online and thought it ideal but it’s not open Sunday evening ? Thanks !
latest report
You'll find that there is limited options on Sunday evenings as most places are closed... Le Chalet is worth a try, right at the traffic lights after Lidl. Base Camp Lodge will probably be open too.
ski holidays
gvj wrote:
Help - we’re going to be in Bourg St M this weekend and want to meet our friends for an evening meal on Sunday. Our local knowledge is at least 20 years out of date Shocked Any recommendations for a good place for supper in the town - we looked at l’Arssiban online and thought it ideal but it’s not open Sunday evening ? Thanks !

Le Refuge is the place to go, booking is essential.
snow report
@Gilly76, @alasdair.graham, Thanks guys we’ll try and book one of those - had hoped to avoid too much melted cheese but hey ho
snow report
Pretty sure Le Refuge is closed Sunday evenings. Good luck
latest report
Le Refuge - had been a regular for years, but in Jan 2020 (i.e. just before COVID) we were very disappointed. Half the restaurant had been converted to a deli/shop and the menu was very basic. Won't be going this March unless they've improved their offering. Any updates?
snow report
We’ll be in the town from Saturday and see what we can glean.
ski holidays
Anyone in plan peisey this coming week ?
snow report
@gvj, try le Kozy - set back a bit, about 150 yds on LHS from the station roundabout on the main drag. Terrible name, great food.
snow report
Looking at Les Arc Ski passes there is now different grades. We do not want to go over to Le Plagne side and was planning to get the Classic pass. I noticed that there is a "PRIORITY LINES" addition on the Essential and Premium versions. We are going out week of 19th March - Is that likely to make any difference?
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
Looking at Les Arc Ski passes there is now different grades. We do not want to go over to Le Plagne side and was planning to get the Classic pass. I noticed that there is a "PRIORITY LINES" addition on the Essential and Premium versions. We are going out week of 19th March - Is that likely to make any difference?

No there are only a few lifts where the priority lines are and the w/c 19th you won't need it, if you're not planning on visiting La Plagne just get the Classic.
snow report
Thanks for the info @Minion1980, Happy
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, agreed, classic is fine if not going to La Plagne, especially for that week (although I hear that things are getting busy for every week for the remainder of the season. But no, the 'fast path'options are limited and with smart planning, you'll not miss)

PS see you on the snow! You may not recognise me, and we're unlikely to recognise you, but we will be there.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Thanks. I will be the one with the helmet plastered with Snowheads stickers. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@gvj, try le Kozy - set back a bit, about 150 yds on LHS from the station roundabout on the main drag. Terrible name, great food.
Le Kozy is unfortunately closed and up for sale at the moment.
snow report
@wills_h, thanks for the update - I knew the previous owners (friends of friends) sold a few years ago, but had thought it had got back on its feet. That's a shame.

Last time I was there... having watched the TdF go past IRL in Bourg, moved to the Kozy for a beer sitting in the sun watching the finish on the TV screens they had outside, seeing Geraint win in La Rosiere. When suddenly there was a stir and murmur: Cav came past in front of the broom wagon, almost coincidentally with the winning time up the hill. Alone and over an hour down even at that point: he didn't get off, rode up to La Ros knowing he was going to be outside the time limit but refusing to get off and give up. Chapeau.
ski holidays
Does a Les Arcs day pass give access to the funicular down to BSM for an evening meal or bit of shopping?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
@sbooker, Yes
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll,
Thanks. Getting excited - less than a month away now. I'm trying to keep my excitement in check as we still have to be able to supply a negative test to jump on the plane. It's quite hard to confidently arrange all aspects of a three week holiday to the other side of the world knowing that you may have to cancel the whole thing 24 hours before departure.
snow report
Quote:

Does a Les Arcs day pass give access to the funicular down to BSM for an evening meal or bit of shopping?

The normal use of a day pass in Les Arcs is to park at the funicular and use that to get up to Les Arcs. As @Arctic Roll, says it is easy to get the funicular down to Bourg st Maurice. We use it to go down for shopping - big rucksacs and a walk to the Super-U - and have gone down to use the municipal swimming pool. This is a "proper" pool that you can swim in as opposed to the leisure pool in 1800. Interestingly my son and I had to walk across to the sports shop and buy speedos as men have very prescribed requirements on swimming attire.

I would reccomend a shopping trip to the Super-U and see some proper French produce for sale - lots of different sea food and fishes, rabbit and some interesting cuts of meat, including andouillette

There is one problem with going down for a meal. They have just changed the times of the funicular. It now stops about 21:00, too late to go down for an evening meal.
latest report
@johnE, have you thought about going to the Lidl for the 'basics' - a lot closer to the funi than the Super-U! (at a guess, it's about 200m tops from the end of the footbridge)

You can also wander through the old part of the town for that genuine French experience, and then pop into Lidl on your way back, save your rucksack from getting too heavy for too long!

There's a few restaurants at that end of the town too on the main street, closer to the funicular, that may ease that panic of getting the last one back up. But agreed, it's not really something you'd want to do on a regular basis.
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.

Hey, I run a brewery in the valley (Sapaudia Brewing Co.) and live in Bourg.

You can find our IPAs (Lost in the Woods & Cosmique IPA) at the following places in Les Arcs.

Charlys Factory at the funi in BSM
Mont Blanc in Vallandry
Bois de l'ours in 2000
Benjis in 1800
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Yes I am aware of Lidl but when I go down to Bourg (it is almost a 500m walk to the funicular from our place) I like to go to buy the more exotic (but not the andouillette).

Incidently we called into Arc1600 on the Saturday at the start of the school holidays. The place was heaving. I've never see it so busy. I'm really pleased that commercial activity has returned.

We are now all booked up to arrive on the evening of March 30th
latest report
@johnE, we so agree to avoid the andouillette!

Webcams do seem to be showing a remarkably full domain - which has to be good for the commercial enterprises.
ski holidays
timlongs wrote:
sbooker wrote:
I put this in the Tignes section but I’ll put it here too as the week before I’m in Les Arcs-

I’m due to be in the Tarentaise in mid March. I’ve recently read in another part of the forum that “France doesn’t have good beer anyway”.
I’m hoping I’ll be able to get a decent ale while I’m holidaying. Please tell me there is an availability of decent ale (if it’s the crafty IPA type stuff even better). If it is only the watery lager styles I will be abstaining for the week.

Hey, I run a brewery in the valley (Sapaudia Brewing Co.) and live in Bourg.

You can find our IPAs (Lost in the Woods & Cosmique IPA) at the following places in Les Arcs.

Charlys Factory at the funi in BSM
Mont Blanc in Vallandry
Bois de l'ours in 2000
Benjis in 1800

Awesome, and good luck with the business. Do those bars stock your beers kegged or bottled ?
ski holidays
@timlongs, any bars in Les Coches selling?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy