Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone stranded due to positive return test?

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone was or is stranded in their resort as a result of a positive Test to Return?

One of the risks currently, especially for a family or group, is that one of you may test positive and thus need to organise an extension to the stay to quarantine. I can imagine there are various issues with this. Of course, in some ways, an extension has always been a risk, even before the Pandemic, thanks to injury or a 'conventional' illness.

It raises a number of practical issues that might affect a risk analysis, including what actually happens with local notification? How does the TO or rental agency handle the situation? Is there a local hotel used specifically for quarantined visitors? Is is easy generally just to stay put, in place? How do you handle groceries etc if self-catering? What's been the experience with insurers? And so on ...

So I thought I'd start a thread just to see whether this was actually happening much and what people's experience was if it had happened to them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
<Pulls>
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LaForet, good thread to start. Clubmed will allow guests stay on in resort (obviously will have plenty spare rooms in January), I'm guessing will bring food to room. Only those who test positive stay, those testing negative go home and complete isolation there. But one adult can stay with a child. It will be all covered.

Incidentally I have heard France like other countries likely to reduced isolation periods so by next week this could be as short as 5 days for boosted persons, so you shouldn't be stuck for too long
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am aware of one Brit and two Dutch that have tested positive in Austria during their stay. They were allowed to stay in the hotel they were in as they had rooms available (mainly because everything was cancelled last week due to regs changes at short notice). The authorities came2 days after a positive pharmacy test to carry out their own testing, as far as I know they came every day after that until negative. I don't know what the situation with the Dutch was regarding Insurance but in the case of the Brit it was covered by him paying the costs and him then providing receipts.
The holiday company he was with was Crystal, the only thing they did was arrange his flight home. I don't know if it was a personal decision to get home earlier but he arranged his own transport, taxi to local train station then train to Innsbruck airport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our chalet provider (VIP Ski) has this on their website....

What happens if I test positive during my holiday ?
For our part we will treat your case as we would for norovirus for which we are well practiced. You would isolate in your room for the remainder of your stay and we would bring catering to your bedroom door. The co-habitant of the room would be required to take daily antigen tests and be asked to isolate with you in the event of a positive test.

At the end of your stay with us your insurance policy should cover you for the cost of further accommodation and/or transport if you need to self-isolate, together with repatriation where necessary and emergency medical expenses abroad.

We will help seek additional accommodation and onward transport on your behalf. Subject to availability we can offer extended self-isolation stays at the rate of £100 per room per night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friends of mine staying in VIP in Bear Lodge Les Arcs, still there (after arriving on 15th Dec. Shocked ) due to positive LFT and PCR. Apparently there's a lot of space - thanks probably due to being a UK focussed company- quite a few of the staff are out through isolation protocols too.
Yes, as above, an insurance job for the extension.

Overall very happy with the service and the support VIP have given them.

Having been disappointed last night at the Bozo press conference, are waiting on pronouncements today about potential lifting of travel restrictions to come home...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cannot see how quarantine is going to work during February when (usually) most accommodations are booked out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
peanuthead wrote:
...Incidentally I have heard France like other countries likely to reduced isolation periods so by next week this could be as short as 5 days for boosted persons, so you shouldn't be stuck for too long

I've not seen any info' on what the UK rules (or airlines) on when you can return. Is it the same as ending isolation here (2 neg lateral flow, post day6) or just a neg lateral flow.like normal return? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably not what you mean, but I'm currently 'stuck' in the UK after a positive test the day before my return flight to Austria.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kettonskimum, i imagine there will be reduced numbers travelling this year
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Probably not what you mean, but I'm currently 'stuck' in the UK after a positive test the day before my return flight to Austria.

Rotten luck Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cacciatore wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Rotten luck Sad

Especially as based on other tests it seems most likely to have been a false positive... But tbh I'm considering it good luck that this bad luck happened here and that it gives me more time with my family than I've had years (long story but NHS test and trace also released me from self-isolation the day after getting the positive so could be a lot worse).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Rotten luck Sad

Especially as based on other tests it seems most likely to have been a false positive... But tbh I'm considering it good luck that this bad luck happened here and that it gives me more time with my family than I've had years (long story but NHS test and trace also released me from self-isolation the day after getting the positive so could be a lot worse).

Sorry to hear that, will you have to pay for a new flight or is your airline amenable to your situation?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully as of later today, this should all become academic again……. Now to get rid of day 2 PCR!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chuckles3, I suspect that the pre-departure test will for return will be scrapped then the day 2 post-return PCR will go to a lateral flow test.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Chuckles3, I suspect that the pre-departure test will for return will be scrapped then the day 2 post-return PCR will go to a lateral flow test.

I hope so, off in 2 & a bit weeks so been holding off to order until today. Seems madness to keep any in the current circumstances. Just a shame Italy aren’t reviewing their rules until the 31st (the day after we return).
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Really hoping they announce that today.
snow report
Back at the start of the season a friend's niece had a positive return test on her Uni. ski trip. At that point everything hadn't gone to hell in a hand cart yet so they were expecting 'fresh meat' in the following week so she was shipped out of resort to a cheap hotel in the valley to isolate. Was 'fine', though she started to get tired of eating baguettes 3x a day after a few days.
ski holidays
Minion1980 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Rotten luck Sad

Sorry to hear that, will you have to pay for a new flight or is your airline amenable to your situation?

Free changes with easyJet, so all good on that front Smile
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

Free changes with easyJet, so all good on that front Smile

That's handy!
snow report
The other thing is what happens if you are one of those people that tests positive long after the 10 days? Some people are positive for 45 days even though no infectious as such. I guess a doctor has to given a special pass certificate otherwise you will be in a ski resort forever. Sounds nice if the insurance company is paying Smile
snow conditions
Good thread, thanks. It's the risk of being stuck abroad which is causing me to cancel trips at the moment, so I shall watch developments with interest, especially the actual rules.
ski holidays
I strongly suspect it depends on individual resort policy, not just national policy. The Telegraph reported a bit of a horror story of a family placed in a quarantine hotel after one of them caught covid at Obergurgle. It looks as though he had had Covid before he left the UK - but this had not been picked up in the pre departure test. However, what then happened would have applied had he picked up the infection during travel or in resort.

Quote:

When we left, Austria had just come out of lockdown. My wife and I are tripled-jabbed, most of us had Covid this summer and we thought we were fairly safe. Though it wasn’t required before travel, we all took lateral flow tests before leaving.

But the night we arrived in Obergurgl my son didn’t want to go to dinner, which is unusual. He felt feverish, so we tested him again but that was negative. It was the same Sunday morning, so we all stayed in the hotel for the day and didn’t ski. On Monday morning he still felt unwell — but nothing more than a mild cold — so my wife stayed with him while I took my two daughters out to ski.

But when I tested him Monday afternoon, he was positive.

I immediately spoke to the front desk but they didn’t know what to do — things are constantly changing. Initially they said isolate the child but the rest of you can do what you want, which sounded a bit relaxed.

They notified the Austrian health authorities, however, and it went downhill from there.

We were told not to leave the room, and while the hotel initially offered us a separate three-bed, two-bathroom apartment where we would be more comfortable, the authorities wouldn’t let us move.

Instead we were given PCR tests on Tuesday (December 21) morning and that evening taken to a ‘safe house’ 15km outside Innsbruck.

Drivers in hazmat suits arrived at 7pm to transfer us in an old ambulance with bare metal walls. It was minus 5C or so outside, with no heat in the vehicle — they said the cold was better for the Covid patient! — so my kids were scared and freezing by the time we arrived.

They were treating us like we had Ebola and that drive set the tone.

We arrived at the Clubhotel Goetzen/Edelweiss Hotel, a former three-star hotel being used by the Government to house people with Covid. The radiators in the room were cold and we couldn’t warm up. We had one duvet each and shivered through the night, fully clothed, keeping ourselves warm with heat from the stove in the kitchenette.

Hot water is intermittent — it’s warm at best and only good enough for one shower now and then. The hotel manager wouldn’t respond to my queries for more blankets but the guard who checks us regularly kindly found us more.

We were offered a room for four people or two separate rooms — but we didn’t want to split up because the kids are afraid and my wife and I worried what might happen if either adult became really unwell. So despite the risk of infection, we took the room for four. My son is in the bedroom and the rest of us in the common room. They have a few screens but the Wi-Fi is patchy and there’s nothing else for them to do — we’re not allowed outside to exercise, but thankfully we have a balcony so we can get some fresh air.

The one good thing is that we can order deliveries, so I ordered a heater which arrived from Amazon today. We’re given three meals a day but they are predictably nasty. Lunch one day was fried cheese, dinner last night a plateful of deep-fried mushrooms, breakfast is rolls and jam. There’s not a single plate, glass or cup in the kitchenette — we have to drink out of the tap.

It’s not the worst thing in the world — we have been able to order from local restaurants and the accommodation is free, we’re not paying. I’d be livid if we were paying. The hotel in Obergurgl reimbursed me for the rest of the week we didn’t stay there and helped get our money back from ski rental and lessons, they were really kind.

We were all tested again yesterday and are still negative. We have another test on December 27 before hopefully being freed on December 28 but our biggest concern is that another of us gets Covid and the quarantine clock starts over. That would be a disaster.

I’m not speaking out to be inflammatory — but if anyone in your party tests positive in Austria, you’re going to be basically under house arrest for at least ten days. I haven’t contacted my insurance company because I know they don’t cover this.

When we were trying to decide whether or not to go, Austria had opened up again after lockdown, with no requirements for pre-departure testing, so I thought they seemed pretty flexible, but that belies what really happens if someone in your group gets Covid. There’s no way you can guard against it and this place is filling up with English people.

The author refers to the action taken by "Austrian health authorities" but I suspect that it was the local public health authority which decided how isolation should be effected. However, there is no doubt that catching covid in resort has consequences. Under my circumstances, I have decided to wait until the situation settles in the hope that the risk reduces as March and April approach. Not preaching at anyone - the risk assessment will be different for each of us.
latest report
lazyskier wrote:
The other thing is what happens if you are one of those people that tests positive long after the 10 days? Some people are positive for 45 days even though no infectious as such. I guess a doctor has to given a special pass certificate otherwise you will be in a ski resort forever. Sounds nice if the insurance company is paying Smile

In Austria (Salzburgland) the test to release is on Day 5 after your positive result. If you have no symptoms and a CT level >30 then you are free to go even if you register a Positive Test. If not, then you are released on Day 10 regardless. The "Long" COVID scenario doesn't apply unless you're receiving treatment.
snow report
@achilles, is it really a horror story? Certainly testing positive and having to quarantine is an absolute PITA, but that sounds to me like pretty good treatment rather than a horrific experience.

Free transport, free hotel with choice of rooms and balcony, free food, and able to get whatever they want to be delivered. They describe it as house arrest, but it's unclear to me how anyone could expect anything else from quarantine other than to having to stay isolated within their own space?
snow conditions
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
In Austria (Salzburgland) the test to release is on Day 5 after your positive result. If you have no symptoms and a CT level >30 then you are free to go even if you register a Positive Test. If not, then you are released on Day 10 regardless. The "Long" COVID scenario doesn't apply unless you're receiving treatment.

Are you sure about that? That sounds like test-to-release after contact with a positive case (K1) and negative test, NOT after a positive test. I've heard of a couple of mild infections where the person has had to be in quarantine for a month or so, but don't have first-hand experience to verify that.
ski holidays
@achilles, there is no local public health authority in Austria. Healthcare is private and the people pay for health insurance to cover their healthcare costs. In most cases this is a national health insurance provider ÖGK, but there are many others. For tourists this is either provided by travel insurance or EHIC. Quarantine policies are nationwide but implemented by the Länder. The story you have posted seems very fair, but sensationalised by the Media.
latest report
@clarky999, nothing to drink from? Inadequate heating in a winter climate? OK, so it's free, but the basics should be provided. I agree you should expect to be in isolation, but should also expect to be treated humanely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:

Are you sure about that? That sounds like test-to-release after contact with a positive case (K1) and negative test, NOT after a positive test. I've heard of a couple of mild infections where the person has had to be in quarantine for a month or so, but don't have first-hand experience to verify that.

When I had covid (back in Oct 2020, so may well have changed by now!) there was no test to release after the quarantine, it was automatic release on day 10.
snow report
Anyone know the Airline policies if the pre departure tests are cancelled, and somebody turns up at checkin with obvious symptoms?

Having been very careful to avoid infection for 2 years as a Carer for vulnerable family, got vaccinated and boosted at the earliest opportunity, I'd be very p**sed off if I then caught it due to being sat next to an obvious case for the 2 hours return flight. Mad
snow conditions
@Mankei, I don’t think it was sensationalised. The report was mostly a verbatim report from the family.
snow report
brianatab wrote:
Anyone know the Airline policies if the pre departure tests are cancelled, and somebody turns up at checkin with obvious symptoms?

Check-in wallahs are unlikely to start making medical assessments of the punters...

Phone your airline for their view - should be a fun convo Smile
ski holidays
@brianatab, surely you have this risk every time you have a contact with other people. Puzzled
snow conditions
brianatab wrote:

Having been very careful to avoid infection for 2 years as a Carer for vulnerable family, got vaccinated and boosted at the earliest opportunity, I'd be very p**sed off if I then caught it due to being sat next to an obvious case for the 2 hours return flight. Mad

Pre departure tests are down to the rules to where you are travelling to, it's highly unlikely the countries with these rules currently are going to remove them any time soon.
latest report
brianatab wrote:

My experience of flying with Easyjet last month was that there were quite a few people on the return flight with obvious symptoms of respiratory infections (including one sat right behind me), as well as many being allowed to board without having FFP2 masks (required by Easyjet's Covid travel policy) and/or not wearing masks during the flight. Follow up notifications from PLF details/day 2 PCRs confirmed at least two Covid cases on the flight.

All in all, a pretty harrowing experience if you are the least bit cautious about Covid. It felt like playing Covid roulette. It could have been (or at least felt) so much safer if Easyjet had followed their stated protocols.

Removing the pre-departure test will make things even more leaky - but at least reduces the likelihood of having to isolate/quarantine in resort.

If I could drive for my next trip I would do, but otherwise assume there is a real risk of getting infected, particularly on the return flight. I did avoid getting infected with anything on the plague flight though - FFP2 mask and recent booster did the job?
latest report
Trouble with being on an island. I assume for most Europeans they would just drive home? Would that be illegal or easy to enforce not doing it?
latest report
There are not many situations where you are in as close proximity to other people in an enclosed space for such a prolonged period of time as a flight

Quote:

surely you have this risk every time you have a contact with other people.
snow report
Quote:

Pre departure tests are down to the rules to where you are travelling to, it's highly unlikely the countries with these rules currently are going to remove them any time soon.

Apart from the Uk that is Happy
snow report
Mankei wrote:
@brianatab, surely you have this risk every time you have a contact with other people. Puzzled

I also have the option of completely avoiding obvious infections, either by walking away or asking them to stay clear. Not the case on a full flight.

It's all about minimising risks. If the contact is very short, then the risk is reduced. Longer contact increases the risk. 15 minutes is the recommended maximum time.

From boarding to disembarkation, on a 2 hour flight, close contact can be nearer 3 hours. Day 2 testing would be unlikely to pick up such an infection as it would be too early, which would increase the risks to vulnerable family members.
ski holidays
I’ve been on 4 flights in the last year, all easyJet Actually 3 of the flights have been ok with people largely adhering to the rules re masks, with the exception of some who think the mask is to keep their chin warm.

The standards do seem to be dictated by the crew, sometimes being quite strict and other flights turning a blind eye to the maskless

On a flight to Crete plenty of folk just drank their way through the journey negating the requirement to wear a mask. Of course as the alcohol kicked in the adherence got less.

Personally, I would ban food and drink on short flights.

Quote:

My experience of flying with Easyjet last month was that there were quite a few people on the return flight with obvious symptoms of respiratory infections (including one sat right behind me), as well as many being allowed to board without having FFP2 masks (required by Easyjet's Covid travel policy) and/or not wearing masks during the flight. Follow up notifications from PLF details/day 2 PCRs confirmed at least two Covid cases on the flight.

All in all, a pretty harrowing experience if you are the least bit cautious about Covid. It felt like playing Covid roulette. It could have been (or at least felt) so much safer if Easyjet had followed their stated protocols.

Removing the pre-departure test will make things even more leaky - but at least reduces the likelihood of having to isolate/quarantine in resort.

If I could drive for my next trip I would do, but otherwise assume there is a real risk of getting infected, particularly on the return flight. I did avoid getting infected with anything on the plague flight though - FFP2 mask and recent booster did the job?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy