Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing advice needed for old guy

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I'm 74 this year, been skiing for approx 35 years, quite competent, grew up on ice skates so I know slippery, got my own kit with Head all terrain skies which I love. Up to my last skiing, Feb 2019 just before Covid lock down, I was skiing powder, slush, ice, and going easily at speeds up to 60mph (on an empty piste of course!) with no problems. I have never been much good at jumping though.

My problem is that during my last time skiing, I seemed to loose the ability to easily tackle steep moglie blacks. It was pointed out to me that I was leaning back and I think I agree with this. Trouble is I can not seem to make myself lean forward. I don't think it is fitness, I was running sub 30 mins 5K Parkruns and sub 60mins 10K at the time which has degenerated to 60 mins 15 mins for the 10K last week after no competitive running during the lockdowns.

I don't think it is a fitness or strength problem. I can still perform my childish party trick of sitting down on the backs of my skies and then the hard bit of getting back up again. (at least that was the case last time skiing).

As far as my kit goes, would angling my boots a bit further forward be of any help? I was going to try it last time, but couldn't figure out how to make the adjustment.

So, how do I make myself lean forward when faced with a difficult slope?

Post script --- the one answer, even if it is the correct one, that I am NOT looking for, is that sometimes you have to accept growing old!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Congratulations on your longevity on skis. snowHead

IME. The best way to stay in balance, is Not to think of leaning forward (or backward), but to slide your feet back and forth underneath you....this allows you to react much quicker.

ie. Suck your feet back when it gets steep.

In moguls - when you hit the uphill side, you will suddenly decelerate - to remain in balance, push your feet forwards to offset the breaking effect.

When you drop over the steep bit, pull your feet back, while pushing the tips down - this stops you getting in the back seat, while keeping snow contact.

As you go down a mogul field, the pushing forward and pulling back of the feet, feels like peddling backwards, with your feet on one pedal.

These Videos demonstrate what I'm talking about:

http://youtube.com/v/VDKdkCJbia4

http://youtube.com/v/bRCiAvdyBIQ

Nb. There are those a lot younger than you, that have difficulty with steep mogulie Blacks. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 25-09-21 16:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TCSC47 wrote:
Hi
I'm 74 . . Feb 2019 . . skiing . . speeds up to 60mph . . running . . . degenerated to 60 mins 15 mins for the 10K last week . .

You have my sympathy, but perhaps the reason you find the way you used to ski and run (statistics#1) is not as easy as it used to be (statistics#2) is due to there being one or more common connections and causes?

As an older skier myself, I've readdressed my objectives, and actively changed my non-ski activities and ski style (ha) to suit my evolving situation, working towards a different future, I hope.

If you had a really long break from activity, or got Covid, maybe without knowing it, or both, that could indicate a possible connection? But is there something you can think of? An injury in the period between, perhaps? Onset of deterioration of the joints you use?

Personally, I am trying to ski more smoothly, less aggressively, slower, than I used to, and doing more flexibility and agility stuff, whatever people may advise or say about me.

Good luck solving it, but the equipment angle doesn't look likely. I suggest videoing yourself asap to get a good look at it from the outside.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TCSC47, What are you doing to maintain flexibility as well as fitness? Skiing in variable terrain requires you to be reactive to the changes underneath you, and that requires flexibility as well as strength. It's very easy in the bumps to get knocked backwards.

So I'd try yoga or pilates starting several months before you go away (assuming that you aren't doing that already) and when on snow find some easier bumps to play on -- and wait until they've softened a bit. Once you've found that you have not lost the ability you had, try harder (as in black, not firmer ones)

Quote:

So, how do I make myself lean forward when faced with a difficult slope?

You could define a difficult slope as being the gradient where you can no longer lean forward!

And, of course there is always the standard Snowhead advice of a lesson with a suitably experienced instructor.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TCSC47 wrote:
As far as my kit goes, would angling my boots a bit further forward be of any help? I was going to try it last time, but couldn't figure out how to make the adjustment.
If you change the way your boots (or bindings) are setup so you are pushed forward I think there's a strong chance it will make the problem worse. If you are pushed forward by your kit, you might instinctively drop your hips backwards to compensate making it feel like you are even more in the backseat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tactics and Lines:

Here Deb Armstrong talks about taking a potentially easier line - if the Moguls suit it:

http://youtube.com/v/C4g9MqjsFCg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After the age of around 30 we start losing muscle mass.
Suspect your core muscles are no longer as strong as they were (have you checked to see if the six pack is still there? wink )
Seriously try some core exercises and see if it makes a difference, I'm around 20 years younger than you but they make a big difference in bumps and powder for me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TCSC47, Bloody well done. Hope I am doing the same in 7 years. I skied with a 90 odd old skier. He had been Captain of the GB Winter Olympics team. I noticed that he had reverted to a very young child like stance leaning well back. I couldn't work out why. I suspect that one looses the "leaning forwards" aspect of skiing. One's upper body needs to be at less than 90° to a steep slope, and I think that becomes an issue with advancing years.
Core exercises could help but also activate the core before setting off.
One instructor had a routine - ankle flex, knee flex, hips forward, activate core, hands forward, shoulders rounded, head up, smile , GO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just want to add, that I find your initial post inspirational - not of course because you have an issue, but because at 74, you still have the will, wish and determination to find your mojo, skiing steep black mogul runs - something that I suspect 95% of the members of this forum, also struggle with. There really are not many "holiday" skiers - including me - that can ski down steep bumps, with flow, grace and control. IMO. Bump skiing, let alone steep slope bump skiing, really is the hardest discipline, due to the terrain constantly throwing you out of balance.

In my first post, I highlighted subtle tweaks that can directly help with a loss of balance/being thrown backwards. In my second post - I highlighted a line that may produce less dramatic shocks to your centre of gravity.

This post, is (as mentioned by others above) recognizing that your age is a factor - but a factor that can be mitigated, if your expectation is simply to get down in control (which may well be your goal).

At 61, I am considerably younger than you. Having had back surgery, my body no longer behaves like it's made out of soft rubber, my knees can no longer flex up past my eyebrows and my legs can no longer can work like a Jackhammer......not that these attributes ever allowed me to ski bumps like a god. snowHead

A video that I would recommend watching, is a pretty old one - but imo Bump Skiing is the one area that hasn't really changed, as Carving in steep bumps is a shortcut to a serious accident.

It's on Youtube and is called "A private Ski Lesson 2-3 with Lito Tejada-Flores - Bumps & powder"...from his "Breakthrough on Skis" videos.

He really shows how it's possible to come quietly down steep bumps, while keeping control and not being too sore on your body (in the video, he seldom uses lots of flexion/extension, or "zipper lines").

I would also recommend finding your mojo on smaller bumps (if not already doing so) - then upping the ante as confidence builds. Jumping straight into a Black Bump run, without practice on easier pistes, is enough to shake your confidence to the core.

Do keep in touch - as we could all do with a little more inspiration.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 26-09-21 17:44; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could try hiring some softer skis? I got some softer ones and some stiff ones and TBH on challenging terrain the stiffer ones find me out sometimes - the softer ones breed confidence and do whatever I tell em! And they are lighter.

And also everything everyone else said Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You are 74 ,really don`t think steep blacks should be a priority, enjoy the red and blue pistes and fine tune your technique on those so that you`re still skiing when you`re 80
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TCSC47, I'm not quite in your situation, being a mere 70 and it was my oesteoarthritis that was making my skiing difficult. As the pain got worse I found myself straightening my legs too much and leaning back. A friend suggested using a ski mojo and I discovered that I was much happier bending my legs and found my weight much more centred over the skis. It really worked and moguls became fun again. Actually they were always fun. It was the rutted blue and red pistes that really hurt.

If you enjoy steep mogul fields then keep doing them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TCSC47,
Anything that gets you from the top of the lift down into the bar & a beer is a good one - a rule that got me through University skiing & being a ski bum. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TCSC47, Id hazard a guess at technique issues, rather than trying to tinker with boots etc I’d suggest a private lesson on your next holiday and/or get to one of the mogul sessions at the indoor snows domes with an instructor (assuming they are still doing moguls!!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
I’d suggest a private lesson on your next holiday and/or get to one of the mogul sessions at the indoor snows domes with an instructor (assuming they are still doing moguls!!)

Yup; The simplest answer can often be the best answer.
snow conditions
Lots of times leaning back is too big a boot or packed out boots. Also, did you have an equipment change, especially in regard to bindings, between when you were a god of moguls and when the issue began? I have two pairs of skis where the distance from boot sole to ski and the angle of the boot sole relative to the ski are radically different and I could take me a full day to adjust. I could see if you hadn't acclimated to that and immediately went out pushing yourself that what began as an equipment issue turned into a head issue.

So I wouldn't write off equipment, but to get back in the saddle, start working your way back by stepping back a notch until a slightly less intimidating slope is a piece of cake you don't think about. Skiing is such a mind game and you need successes to move forward.

You may need to analyze the equipment angle and fix it first, but I wouldnt anticipate an instant cure.
ski holidays
Thank you everybody. I have saved all your comments and videos to take my time to analyse them and learn. I have to apologise big time to you all for not replying sooner to your kindness and helpful advice. Like many of us, I'm sure, I am finding the present situation of Covid extremely difficult and I have had to close my mind to skiing at the moment, worse things are going on.
Rock on everybody!!
snow report
Sorry to hear life's difficult at the moment, @TCSC47.
snow conditions
@TCSC47, good luck and do keep us posted on how things go. It’s always a pleasure reading inspirational, skiing related posts Very Happy . Hope I’m still as enthusiastic and capable at 74 (even 64, to be honest Laughing ).
latest report
Thanks.
snow report
@TCSC47, thanks for sharing. I started skiing a little later than you (late 40s) and now 63. At what age (if any!) do you think you stopped improving? I’m at the stage of still trying to master steep mogully blacks and your story gives me hope.

Re your recent problems. Was it a matter of just having a bad day/week? Sometimes this just happens and can be made worse by over stressing. I find this in sports I’m more adept at, just relaxing, taking it down a notch to regroup before getting back to the gnarly stuff helps a lot
snow conditions
@TCSC47, I am seventy five and reading your opening post you could more or less be describing my fitness levels. I can still do your party trick as well.

I have always been pretty good with strength and stamina however as someone else has mentioned, flexibility is also important which is something I the past I have not focussed on perhaps as much as I should.

A few months ago I had back problems, something which has occurred before. A very good physio sorted me out and changed my gym routine to include the use of TRX straps and resistance bands whilst still retaining some of the strength exercises using machines. I skied in Tignes for two weeks last month and drove both ways without the slightest back problem.

I have to admit that I am getting a bit more risk adverse as I get older, partially because of a nasty crash in a couloir a few years ago. When we did some moguls last month although I coped as well as the younger members of our group, I feel that I was holding back a little. Confidence does make a difference.
snow report
I do not see the point of moguls. I do not mind skiing through some if I have to slowly, but at speed all I can think of is repeated falls and acl damage.

I always try and avoid mogul fields, as I have no interest in getting good at moguls.

I also avoid ski jumps, mainly because accident statistics invariable point to ski jumping and moguls where people get injured.

One motto I recall is

"Don't make a mountain out of a mogul"

The times I have injured myself skiing have all been related to trying to be cool, and doing some air. I am over 50 now, I have no interest in being cool!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 10-01-22 13:24; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, Sometimes you have no choice! Usually on a busy blue after lunch which could do with a bash.....
latest report
@MorningGory, I can ski moguls, just that I do not get any great pleasure from them.

A picture from a blue beginner mogul field in Val Thorens. They tend to trip up beginners, I seem to recall... (I was taking the picture, not on the ground)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-01-22 13:39; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Bigtipper, I can't and don't either
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Sorry to hear life's difficult at the moment, @TCSC47.
+1. With the additional disadvantages of clearly not being as strong, fit or as good a skier as the OP, his posts have really resonated with me. Whilst I've kept pretty supple with thrice weekly Pilates classes and I've had the odd day of coaching at Hemel, the prospect of the next trip after a two year gap (so far) at the age of 75 is daunting. And yet I really, really don't feel ready to give up skiing.
ski holidays
Mr Mogulski and I are looking forward to the BB when we will ski for the first time since the 2020 BB. Aged 75 and 73 we hope we can still live up to our Snowheads names! We did judge mogul skiing for 20 years and picked up a few tips... Look forward to seeing everyone in Arabba.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

And yet I really, really don't feel ready to give up skiing

The impact of Covid has been hard on a whole range of skiers, for different reasons. An absence of a couple of seasons can be really daunting for older skiers, when what we really need is to be able to keep going, not asking too much of ourselves - but not too little, either. It's a difficult judgement call, even when other things are equal. Not just about skiing, but about life in general. Lockdown has demanded - from all of us - a willingness to put big chunks of life "on hold" and it doesn't do our mental health any good to be hankering after things which are just impossible. But just giving up all aspirations isn't good for us either. The trick is to find new challenges, which stretch us in different ways. There is sometimes a notice at the top of unpatrolled "off piste" areas in France which says "Savoir renoncer". Which means, in context, as the rest of the notice explains, "know when it's wise to give up". That's a real challenge, in all kinds of situations. Someone who has defined themselves as being really, really, good at something, is in a difficult situation. A bit like women whose identity has been being beautiful. I know two women, around my age, who were very beautiful in their day. They are not, any more, and whilst I do feel for them, in a way, I also feel genuinely content that this isn't one of my problems. So as a skier, who has never been more than moderately competent on groomed slopes in reasonable conditions, I don't ask more than to be able to cruise around for an hour or so, enjoying the mountains, before sitting down to a nice lunch. I have no illusions about being able to "improve", only to be able to go downhill more slowly (in all senses). Because downhill is where many of us are going - let's not be under any illusion about that.
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

I don't ask more than to be able to cruise around for an hour or so, enjoying the mountains, before sitting down to a nice lunch.

Suits me too. Plus some more skiing after lunch.
Quote:

I have no illusions about being able to "improve",

I do improve with lessons and see no reason for that not to continue.
Quote:

downhill is where many of us are going - let's not be under any illusion

I don't see the benefit of giving in to that notion.
ski holidays
Just caught up with this thread. I am still learning how to ski after 55 years of trying (I didn't learn as a child). I have often been told (correctly) that I lean back but I think I was much better in 2019 because I simply kept telling myself to make sure my weight was on my toes rather than on my heels. Similarly, to keep skis together and evenly weighted in powder, I tell myself to ski on the uphill ski, having been taught years ago to keep my weight on the downhill ski. These two simple thoughts seem to work well for me and I now find I use a lot less energy. I hope to have more instruction in February - never too old to improve!
latest report
@Jehu, what makes you think keeping your weight on the uphill ski will assist your skiing? It will mean your downhill ski becomes very jittery and potentially could slip away from you which isn’t good! There is a reason you were taught to put more pressure on the downhill ski!
snow report
Quote:

I don't see the benefit of giving in to that notion

If the notion is that in our mid 70s we will not be capable of doing some of the stuff we enjoyed in our 20s, and can expect (despite sensible efforts to keep strong, supple and coordinated) to go downhill physically, I see myself as "accepting" it not "giving in to it". To me that feels like wisdom (which is supposed to be one of the great benefits of old age, though one doesn't always see life that way.....). My "acceptance" of things I can't change is imperfect, but I'm working on it. wink
snow conditions
@pam w, I'm concentrating on the things that I do better now than I did when I was young. That, happily, includes skiing. I try to avoid thinking about my piano playing, the hopelessness of which, to be fair, is nothing to do with age but everything to do with laziness.
snow report
When I bought a lift ticket for my buddy the other day the desk person expressed surprise. It took me a second to work out what the issue was... he'd seen the date of birth in my mate's ID and noticed that he was 75. A $50 discount was duly awarded. We made first chair and took laps of fresh tracks until the hordes got out of bed. On the lifts (we never stopped on the runs) I learned that he regularly competes in cycle races in the under 40 category, a field in which he generally finishes about half way up.

I'm not suggesting "Britannia Unchained" style that most people could achieve that: none of my own parents and grand parents achieved it, through no fault of theirs. Even my school mates have statistics against them if they fancy a shot. My point is that 75 is just a number. My buddy works every day at his fitness, controls what he eats, and takes supplements. He was an expert years ago, so he doesn't really have the challenges of learning or falling over. The OP could, like my mate, assign a nominal age of 38 to themselves and see how that works out. That's my plan.
snow report
Yes, thanks to having lots of lessons I can ski better now than I could in my young days, when I could scarcely afford to go skiing. I can't do the kind of days I could do years ago but console myself with the thought that as I no longer have to pay for anybody but myself, I can afford long lunch breaks. I don't think I am too prone to give way to notions of age - I learnt to snowboard in my 50s. I still sail a lot. In the spirit of "savoir renoncer" I would not, these days, embark on a long night-time passage, which I would have relished at one point. If I found myself with no choice, I would make a decent fist of it, but would prefer to have a brandy after supper and take to a comfy berth. Adapting, not "giving in". wink
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

would prefer to have a brandy after supper and take to a comfy berth.
Sounds sensible at any age. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

And yet I really, really don't feel ready to give up skiing.

Better yet chnique n fitness is what you need.

10 squats, 1 min plank, 10 lunges = 1 set

3 sets a day for month 1, thereafter a steady increase to 5 or 6, should keep you going.
snow report
@AL9000, 1 min plank? Pfft, I can do a LOT longer than that. (I do a great deal of Pilates.) Lunges are more problematic - dicky knees. Sad
snow report
@Hurtle, Forget lunges then, work on glutes - after plank, roll over, shuffle your feet back then thrust your hips in the air and hold. Pilates is great.

If you can manage these everyday, you’ll be skiing til your 90s … like achilles snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy