Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland updates and snow reports 2021-22

Poster: A snowHead
Look on the bright side, having learnt to ski in Scotland you should be able to ski like a God everywhere else Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice morning at Glencoe today. Started bright and cold, main basin well pisted as was happy valley. Wind increased and clagged in by lunch but nice to be out. New cafe being handed over on Fri and will be fitted out/opening soon, looks ace. New chair still minus chairs so no idea what’s with that. A bit more snow and it will be great.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
New chair still minus chairs so no idea what’s with that
The lift is apparently good to go but is waiting for a Department of Transport inspector - which has been the case since January rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I knew it was due to be certified but not sure why it had not happened.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ionizingskin, Well if you can only manage sunnyside I am not so sure you have much opinion.

Lots and lots of very challenging skiing in Scotland, some of it as challenging as anywhere. You are doing nothing more than displaying your ignorance.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@zikomo, Lets face it, if you are learning, you could do a lot worse than the easy slopes of Sunnyside.

I would wager he has never even been here, just doubling down on his stupidity.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Troll account will be spamming a skin product shortly no doubt
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Ah yes it's so steep I do believe that sunnyside at glenshee is widely regarded as second only to kitzbuhel in terms of downhill course notoriety
I don't recall anyone referring to Sunnyside as steep Puzzled

Let's be 'aving you then Ionizingskin...Pray tell where you normally ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like one of those sort of skiers who’ve had their egos bruised on the side of a not particularly steep Scottish mountain. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glencoe looking good

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

New snow and no queues at Glenshee

https://app.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee

Snowing at the Lecht
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Ah yes it's so steep I do believe that sunnyside at glenshee is widely regarded as second only to kitzbuhel in terms of downhill course notoriety
I don't recall anyone referring to Sunnyside as steep Puzzled

Let's be 'aving you then Ionizingskin...Pray tell where you normally ski.

Forget steep, coz there's nothing lift-served at Glenshee that is actually steep, but anyone who hasn't occasionally been 'challenged' at Glenshee hasn't skied there very much either Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Forget steep, coz there's nothing lift-served at Glenshee that is actually steep, but anyone who hasn't occasionally been 'challenged' at Glenshee hasn't skied there very much either
That made me laugh and suffer flashbacks at the same time moffatross Laughing

We once skied Glas Maol and thought it odd to see a sign saying 'Sharp edges required' - a bit of a first in skiing all over the world...

We soon found out why - and no, we didn't have sharp edges Shocked Let's just say it was character building Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mountainaddict, haha, I've seen similar warnings there Happy And I guess you didn't rejoin the lift queue for another lap either Laughing

I have an enduring memory of taking the Tiger chair to the Cairnwell summit, and seeing a warning of something like 'not recommended' at top of the Tiger ski run. Obviously skied it anyway because it looked like loads of untouched powder, but after first 50 metres of vertical soon became clear that rest of run had an inch of rain-soaked, refrozen crust on top of a foot or so of freshies. It was basically unskiable in a purist sense, and the only safe way to get down without wrecking the knees was in diagonals made from traverses, kick-turns, traverses, kick-turns ... It took the best part of 1/2 an hour to reach the road level again Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A season pass at Glenshee is worth a decade in the Alps. And still hugely
look forward to Scottish turns.
To be fair it’s looking fine over the weekend. Esp Sunday. I’ll be there with my rock bashers adorned with my SN stickers
Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Between the Spittal and Glenshee ski area, is some decrepit infrastructure from a set of ski lifts that were installed by the Dundee Ski Club about 70 years ago IIRC. Me and Haggis_Trap enjoyed a ski tour there one November many years ago, where I caught this wee fella on camera under the platform of one of the old T-Bar base stations.

ski holidays
We should give credence to our east coast American cousins. The only other place I have experienced windblow like Scotland. Sheer blue ice at the top of every lift. My kids negotiated the splawed holiday skiers with aplomb and enjoyed the better snow below. Noticed by locals and got a load of free guiding by local instructors as a result!
snow conditions
Quote:
It was basically unskiable in a purist sense, and the only safe way to get down without wrecking the knees was in diagonals made from traverses, kick-turns, traverses, kick-turns ... It took the best part of 1/2 an hour to reach the road level again
Didn't someone on here once say 'I can't believe people ski in Scotland?' (Or words to that effect) Laughing

Quote:
We should give credence to our east coast American cousins. The only other place I have experienced windblow like Scotland.
Yep! We skied a day at Mount Sunapee some years ago while we were in that neck of the woods. What appeared to be the glistening crystals of untracked powder off piste was a covering of ice Shocked It was like trying to ski a skating rink, with us clattering across the top of the solid crust. Never seen anything like if before or since. Even in Scotland wink
ski holidays
Actually the surface conditions in Scotland have improved a lot for skiing over the last 30 years. The increase in temperature has made boiler plate ice less common and that is reflected in the parallel decline in good ice climbing conditions. The difference between snow and rain has become even more marginal than it was but the upside is perhaps heavier and denser snowfall with less icing and scouring. I think it’s a while since Glencoe or Cairngorm have been totally iced up ?

This looks like the weekend for great weather Cool
http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=gs
snow conditions
@moffatross, great shot!
snow report
The Guardian has a report on Ellis Brigham's newly launched shuttle bus to Glencoe from their Braehead shop, which also provides ski (Edit: but no boot) hire: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/mar/07/skiing-in-glencoe-apres-in-glasgow-scotland-weekend

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 7-03-22 13:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Alastair Pink, That's not a bad price for the transfer. Pretty much comparable to the cost of driving from Glasgow, without the hassle.

If that could be tied in with a reasonably priced sleeper train to Glasgow, would be well worth considering a weekend trip next season. Very Happy
snow report
I could not believe the car parks weren't full at Glencoe and Glenshee yesterday Shocked Most incredible day with alright conditions and yet not full. Bizarre.
ski holidays
@orange, It's always like that following a disaster on the first weekend of decent snow!
snow report
I could vaguely understand Glenshee but not Glencoe, it was the same.
snow report
orange wrote:
I could vaguely understand Glenshee but not Glencoe, it was the same.

There was suddenly more carparking before the weekend just gone at Glencoe with the builders compound fencing taken down, so even the same number of vehicles wont have felt as busy. However there is currently no catering and very limited toilets at the base, so that will have deterred at least some. The Plateau Cafe is a riot on a moderately busy weekend day with plenty of people downloading to the base for lunch, it's beyond a madhouse when it is the only thing available. Laughing
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
Forget steep, coz there's nothing lift-served at Glenshee that is actually steep.

Or Glencoe or Nevis Range.
ski holidays
DirtSki wrote:
moffatross wrote:
Forget steep, coz there's nothing lift-served at Glenshee that is actually steep.

Kudos. Another skiing God who's registered just to post this, or just forgotten their login password for 'Gael Force' or 'nevis1003', and someone so awesome that they get seconds of air whenever they drop into Spikes or Easy Gully, or straightline backwards down the Flypaper with their ski boots undone.
latest report
@Alastair Pink, ellis brigham's site states the shuttle bus has finished for the season. Glenshee say it will operate every weekend (weather permitting) Jan - April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The EB shuttle seems to have been pulled - the Glencoe one at least was getting some traction (pardon the pun), so a bit unfortunate given the publicity about it. However from what I've heard about clubs and others trying to do this, lack of flexibility by coach companies basically makes it impossible for a third party to do it. So it would need to be taken on by the respective ski area who can basically subsidise the coach with lift passes as a way of making some extra parking spaces available!

However you can get to Glencoe by Citylink, it departs Buchanan Street Bus Station in Glasgow at 6.45am and arrives at the Glencoe road end at 8.55am. It's a 10-15minute walk to the Access Chair, but at that time of day a reasonable chance of picking up a lift up the access road. Going South though, unless you leave early there isn't a bus till 8pm at present - will be fine once the base cafe is open. By early April there is usually an increase in service frequency both ways.
snow report
I can confirm we always pick up as many as will fit in the car on the way to Glencoe (if we are running late enough) and most people do so you will almost always get a lift from the bus stop.
ski holidays
Bit of a waste stopping the EB shuttle just after it got some publicity.
latest report
Probably looks terrible on the webcam but the snow is really good and well pisted.

I enjoyed today. Easily managed 35 runs, 20 miles of skiing and 17,000 feet of vertical. No queues at all. I had Sunnyside to myself for the first 5 runs. The Cairnwell Slalom run is fence to fence and has been pisted perfectly. Tomorrow evening looks wet but Saturday could be Ok.
snow conditions
Good weekend at Glencoe Still plenty of snow in all the right places and most runs are complete. Despite the rain the snow is really good and takes a ski easily. Even had a couple of inches fresh snow on the upper mountain last night. Visibility improved this afternoon. No queues and lots of challenging sport available. Should be good for a while yet. Wind looks ok this week. Cool
snow report
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1423
snow conditions
DirtSki wrote:
moffatross wrote:

Which proves you've never been to Glencoe.

Kerching! Very Happy Very Happy

The Coe Cup is an extreme ski event that includes cliff jumps. One year Dirtski was given a bye and declared winner without actually competing wink.
snow conditions
Glencoe looks a bit average again Wink

flypaper open for the first time this season. Half day tickets available from 12noon

ski holidays
Oooh that looks nice Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
@kitenski, looks lovely.

Currently laid low with a bug but hoping for a good midweek day there next week fingers crossed !
snow report
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=1424

Full report here. Eh oh!
snow conditions
Sunny, cold, magnificent Cool

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy