Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Long from Full Knee Replacement to Skiing Again?

Poster: A snowHead
Any personal experience about number of weeks from full knee replacement operation to getting back skiing on mountain slopes please?
I'm reasonably fit and healthy, for a Senior Citizen. Fully committed to following medical and professional therapist advice on preparation, recovery, rest and post op exercise. It's my weaker leg, in case that makes any difference. Also I realise there's absolutely no guarantee of a successful outcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having had a TKR three weeks ago, I have the same question. Surgeon said I would be ok to ski again, but wouldn't say when. I'm hoping to get in a day or two at Glenshee at least next year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think exact advise from surgeon was necessary for valid insurance
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get your surgeons advice. For my 80 year old mother, she had a second total knee in the early November and was skiing again in March from memory. She did all the exercises to help with recovery and remained as active as she could. To be honest I don't think I have ever see her ski as well as when she had the two replacement knees. The removal of pain made a huge difference to her.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Usually about 6 to 8 months if you are sensible and do rehab.
Once got a postcard from a patient who was skiing at 8 weeks - not ideal.
Jonathan Bell
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all above for your help snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had my TKR on 23 Sept. I have full extension and 110 degrees flexion after 5 wks. Looking forward to St Anton in March ‘22 for my first post TKR ski!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cup of tea and stretch it out should do it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ctpickard1, well done, sounds very positive and you must have been working hard on the rehab.
How about walking unaided, without crutches/sticks? How’s that going?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No crutches since end of wk 3. Only advice i'd give is
- do the exercises from day 1
- don't be afraid to use pain killers (under the advice given), they allow you to push yourself with the post op physio exercises
- don't get down about progress, it starts slow then you will see improvements every day.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ctpickard1, thanks, I’m committed to doing the rehab, as I do regular exercise routinely.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery and hope to hear about how your first ski trip with your new knee goes next March.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had my left knee replaced in May depending on early season conditions hope to be in Tignes in December if not Ste Foy in January. Hoping my right turns will be as good as my left turns and pain free!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Fogliettaz, thanks, sounds like a great outcome. Hope the early season conditions suit and you'll be able to post about how your return to the slopes goes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ll be taking some of my knee replacement patients skiing in a few weeks at snowcentre
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might want to take a look at the www.skimojo.com - perfect for your situation

(Declaration: I work for these guys, but seriously, all their clients love them!)
snow report
As a PhD researcher in orthopaedic joint replacements please let me convey the importance of being dedicated with the physio rehab exercises! It might be hard to stick to them but they are arguably the most important factor in the outcome of a TKR! The ski mojo system sounds like a sensible option to help during the skiing. Let us know how it goes and good luck! Smile
ski holidays
My Dad had his replaced in January (2018?) and skied the following Christmas with no issues (other than his usual handicap of being rubbish at skiing).

He did some pretty strenuous hill-walking in the summer in-between (i.e. 6 months post TKR).
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, When you planning your TKR day? we are around most of Nov...
snow report
I’m just 2 weeks post op and had wound staples removed yesterday. Been a bit more challenging than I expected.

On reflection I may have overdone exercise in the first week. Balancing regular but light recommended exercises and mobility with plenty of rest is important.

Also managing timing of taking pain control meds, to maximise benefits, worth thinking through.
Using cryo cuff on knee, 3 times a day, seems to help.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
@Jonathan Bell, When you planning your TKR day? we are around most of Nov...

Last sat of November . May see you there!!
ski holidays
@PeakyB, from experience I’d say priorities in first few weeks are icing to reduce swelling (cryocuff is great) and set up pain meds schedule and stick to it.
snow report
I don't know whether to be despondent or reassured after reading these posts.

Had TKR 10 weeks ago, and despite 2 or 3 sessions of exercises each day, taking over 3 hours altogether, I'm struggling to get past 95 degrees bend. I seem to have been stuck on a plateau for the last four or five weeks, with no sign of improvement. Physio just says - keep doing the exercises !

What makes it worse is the interrupted sleep at night. I waken after, at most, a couple of hours with my leg seized up, always bent, and I have a painful few minutes trying to straighten it. It's not cramp, more like the muscles have gone into spasm. I've tried taking a magnesium supplement, and that seems to help a bit. Beginning to wonder if I am overdoing the exercises and that is the muscles telling me to ease off.

At this rate I'll be lucky to get back on skis by the end of the season, to make use of my free pass at Glenshee !
latest report
@RUGBY PETER, thanks, yes I agree. I’ve found it a trial and error process to get the timing and dosages of painkillers to suit me. Hopefully got it about right now. Ditched the codeine after 10 days.
Cryo Cuff definitely worth the cost and so much easier than a bag of frozen peas in a cloth.
ski holidays
@deerman, you are possibly doing too much exercise and not enough icing and rest. Also don’t be a hero- if are experiencing pain take painkillers. Have a look at bonesmart.org - some really good info re TKR recovery on there. At the stage you are at I was at 105 degrees bend so we’re not that far apart, I eventually achieved 140 degrees + so don’t panic. Ice, ice and more ice.
snow report
@PeakyB, yes I ditched the codeine early on - made me feel sick. Re cryocuff rather than individual ice cubes I froze 2 small water bottles overnight and put those in -usually lasted the whole day. Also used to wake in middle of night absolutely starving, started taking a sandwich to bed Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
@deerman, over 3 hours exercise a day sounds a lot but depends on what type, intensity, etc.
Apart from getting past 90 degree bend, what other milestones have you achieved in your first 10 weeks post op?
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Not sure what counts as milestones - walking fairly easily, without sticks on flat ground (still use stick when walking my dogs, more in case of them being too boisterous). I can now just manage a complete circle with the pedals on my recumbent exercise bike, and have achieved up to 20 minutes on it, but with no resistance. I have a session on it every 2 or 3 days. My consultant said to gently start to add resistance after I managed 20 minutes with none. Able to walk up stairs "normally" without sticks, but find descending still a struggle.

The last time I saw my physio, about 3 weeks ago, he seemed pleased with my progress, but as I said, I seem to have barely moved on since then. I'm seeing him again a week tomorrow, so I'll find out what his verdict is then.

On painkillers, I do not have pain either during the exercises, or generally during the day, rather occasional discomfort that does not justify painkillers. I tried taking codeine for the night time muscle spasms, but it had no effect.

I do the exercises I've been given by the physio two or three times a day, followed by 20 minutes with the Donjoy cuff.

Perhaps I'm just impatient, expecting too much too soon.
snow conditions
@deerman, @ctpickard1, wondered how your recoveries are going, 4 weeks further on?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Rather than improving, I seem to be going backwards. Still unable to get much past 90 degrees bend, knee seems permamently stiff, and sleep is even more disturbed, with knee seizing up every hour or couple of hours. So effectively no change in the last 3 months, despite following physio's exercise regime that takes up to 3 hours a day. Seeing Glenshee open up today merely rubs salt into the wound. At this rate I won't be back on skis this season.

I'm seeing the surgeon in 10 days and will be looking for some answers and a solution. I'm beginning to suspect arthrofibrosis.

Ho hum.
snow conditions
@deerman, 3 hours a day of exercises seems a lot to me. Maybe try less exercises and a lot more icing. Have you looked at the Bonesmart website? There’s some really useful recovery info on there.
latest report
@deerman, I hope things might have improved for you in the last week. I find it difficult to judge the right balance between exercising and resting the knee. I probably push it too hard.

6 weeks post op I got 120 flexion. Can’t straighten leg fully but that’s improving. Knee still tends to swell after exercise. Walking still difficult, clunky, feels unstable, managed about 400m max so far.

Wound suddenly got infected last week, being treated with standard antibiotics. Consultant appointment not until mid Jan.

Managing without painkillers and sleep not too disturbed now.
latest report
@deerman, @Jonathan Bell, @RUGBY PETER, a year on and wondered how you're doing?

My own recovery from TKR at end of Oct '21 went well for 9 months, apart from minor infection Jan '22. End of July suddenly ill, then the operated on left leg became very swollen and red. A&E admission and 4 nights on I/V antibiotics. Diagnosed as cellulitis at risk of sepsis. Although no redness since then, left leg remains significantly larger than right leg, especially calf, ankle and foot. Tingling sensation lower leg, pain on top of foot and numbness around toes. Referred for tests for nerve damage but expect that to be into next spring before appointment.
Bit concerned about chances of skiing much in Feb.
ski holidays
Things have improved significantly. After seeing the surgeon, who commented that what I had was as good as it gets, I went back to my old, local, physio who had retired but decided to go back to work. Within a few weeks she had me walking normally, completely straightening my leg, and improved articuation. I have been back skating and cycling over the summer and had my first day on skis last Sunday at Glenshee. That went better than expected, except for my legs suffering from the unaccustomed exercise !

I'm hoping to get a few more days in before I have my other knee replaced - I have just had my pre-op assessment and expect to be called in for the operation early next year, which will of course put paid to the rest of the season.

One thing I have noticed is the extent to which my unoperated leg has lost muscle compared to the operated leg. Too much concentration on building up the muscles round that knee after the operation. Next time I'll make sure to work on both legs.
latest report
@deerman, glad things are improving... ah yes, remember making that mistake once after a knee injury. Shocked when phsyio asked me to do same thing with other leg and the muscle shake gave me away!
snow conditions
Well, that’s 3 weeks since I had my right knee replaced – this time by the NHS (Golden Jubilee hospital in Clydebank). What a difference ! After 3 weeks I am about the same stage of recovery as I was at 3 months last time. So much for private healthcare.

I have little or no pain, other than when exercising, and can sleep in my own bed at night – albeit wakening up every couple of hours needing to stretch the muscles and change position. I still have some way to go in rebuilding muscle strength, but can already manage 20 minutes on the exercise bike with no resistance and have started adding a little resistance. Walking about a mile every other day, and now have about 105 degrees bend – still a bit to go on getting the leg straight though.

Three main differences between the two procedures:
1. I was advised, this time, at the initial pre op assessment, to start exercising immediately and not to wait until after the operation. I did so, adding a couple of ½kg ankle weights to my right ankle.
2. The anaesthetist gave me a “Hunter’s” canal (adductor) nerve block before the operation. I asked my surgeon in Aberdeen for this, but he was dismissive of the benefit, saying that while it might mitigate pain, it also numbed the muscles and thus weakened them. Instead he gave me some local anaesthetic around the joint after the op.
3. One my bugbears after the first op was the full length compression stocking I needed to wear for six weeks after the op. At best it was uncomfortable, at worst downright painful. This time there was no sock, rather I was given a supply of anticoagulant injections to give myself one each day. One night I thought it worth trying a sock when I went to bed, to see if it would help reduce the swelling. It came off after about 15 minutes – just too darn painful.

I cannot comment on the actual surgery, whether there were any significant differences, as I was sedated each time. The only difference I am aware of is that the first operation was done with the assistance of a MAKRO robot, while the surgeon used computer guided surgery for the second. Whether this made any difference I know not.

I have no regrets using private medicine for my first knee – I doubt I could have put up with the pain for another 18 months. However I am in no doubt about the superior outcome form the NHS procedure.
ski holidays
To answer the question I asked in my OP, it was 15 months post TKR that I returned to skiing.
That discounts 3 hours at the ChilFactore ski test exactly a year after the op.

My return was delayed by the severe infection in my left leg about 9 months post op. Without that setback I feel I’d have managed the PSB in Dec ‘22.

I went on the double A (Alleghe and Arabba). Quite anxious at first but good conditions and sun helped enormously. Even so, I paced myself and maybe did only 25 hours skiing in week 1.

Even this left me very tired and with achy leg muscles, so I took the weekend off. The next 5 days saw an increase in hours skiing per day. Not the long distance missions of 3 years ago but demanding and enjoyable skiing.
Able to tackle red and black graded pistes without fear or problems.

Overall, exceeded my expectations. Since returning I’ve finally had the neuropathy tests on my left leg and await results. I didn’t mention I’d just been on a 2 week ski trip snowHead
ski holidays
What can you ski after a TKR? Is it still possible to ski bumps, rip it through trees off piste, crank GS carved turns?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy