Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2021/22 Thread + Winter Olympics Beijing 2022

Poster: A snowHead
@ster, Watching how much it got chewed up yesterday I thought there might be problems today.

Charlie Guest got a good result yesterday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rjs, yes, the snow looks pretty ragged on the brief pictures they’ve just shown and its a bit foggy too.

She did well to finish with so many higher ranked skiers sliding out.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mens Slalom rescheduled until tomorrow.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Klamm Franzer, for sure? I thought it was still “under discussion” according to Twitter for what thats worth.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So says the FIS website. No details on the reason.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Klamm Franzer, I mean the rescheduling until tomorrow bit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FIS web page says tomorrow (Thurs 6th), 1st run 15.45 cet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So it is, in the scheduler now. I couldn’t see any mention on the Front page with all the “news”
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zagreb change - FIS now showing 1300 CET for men's first run today (6th)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@davidthornton, thanks for the heads up, the first start time did seem a little late in the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
@davidthornton, thanks for the heads up, the first start time did seem a little late in the day.

And they must have redrawn bibs as the start list seems to have changed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ster, Yep, Dave was originally drawn 14th., now 10th.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidthornton wrote:
@ster, Yep, Dave was originally drawn 14th., now 10th.

With the way the course deteriorated for the women, that might be a good redraw for Dave!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Might not be bad to not go too late in the 2nd run too unless you are miles up from 1st run
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its going to be called off, before they get the minimum racers down.
snow report
Absolute farce. I thought that after zubcic had such a poor run the Croatians would have been happy to call it off
latest report
I giess if the snow conditions were bad enough to cancel yesterday, it was pretty unlikely it was going to be better today apart from sweeping the leaves off.

The Croations must have suggested it was in the best interests of their guests to hang around another day to try.
snow conditions
@ster, there was meant to be a big drop in temperature overnight
latest report
@holidayloverxx, and it didnt?
snow conditions
@ster, not enough to make a difference, obvs, but when the decision was made to hold the race the forecast was to be much colder, as I understand it
latest report
Shame about the men's race. My daughter raced Zagreb in 2020 and it was just as bad. It seems a terrible place to hold a race and was surprised it passed the snow control gate. Ona differnt note, my son is forerunning the Ski Cross worldcup at nakiska next weekend. Providing he passes all his covid tests, which is looking like a bit of a lottery atm
snow conditions
Victor Muffet-Jeandet has broken his ankle on that piste... And will now miss the Olympics.
latest report
Great result for Charlie 13th. Shiffrin is something else, where that second run came from.......
snow report
Amazing result for Charlie. She's been putting in real solid performance this season
ski holidays
Those top gates in the 2nd run looked pretty tricky with even big names going out on them. That young Canadian, Nullmeyer, seems to have jumped from nowhere into the top WC ranks this season from a lot of DNQ/DNFs last season.
latest report
Nullmeyer does seem to be doing amazingly; she is off the back of some sort of injury. Some of the other Canadian slalom skiers are doing well too, St Germain I think had the second fastest time on the second run. I think maybe, just maybe the Canadians have recognised that success isn't determined by the men's speed team.
Sons forerunning going well. First day, they were literally test racers, no athletes and the track was altered quite a lot after the learnings with jumps shaved and some even removed. Yesterday it was still considered big and fast and a lot of the women struggled with one section (he said 3 in the afternoon session hit it right) and also some of the men. Its a very fast track and the snow was fast in the pm. He's getting lots of track time, which is good, but must admit am somewhat scared for the heats.
latest report
gryphea wrote:
maybe the Canadians have recognised that success isn't determined by the men's speed team.

No kidding. It sure took 'em long enough! Who was the last one, Guay? Meanwhile last week I think I saw four CDN women who looked like they could compete for a slalom podium in time, good for them.

And the Olympics are coming, which means anyone can win.....the "Kerrin Lee effect". (Plenty of other examples of that)
ski holidays
@gryphea, her website said her 2017/18 World Cup Season "suffered a season ending injury two days before first World Cup in Soelden, Austria. I tore my ACL and meniscus in both knees so I am now focused on returning stronger than ever for the 2018/19 season!"

Both knees!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A Jamaican skier has qualified to compete in Beijing ! Smile

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/beijing-2022/2022/beijing-2022-benjamin-alexander-set-to-be-first-jamaican-skier-to-compete-at-winter-olympics_sto8708034/story.shtml
snow conditions
albob wrote:
A Jamaican skier has qualified to compete in Beijing ! Smile

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/alpine-skiing/beijing-2022/2022/beijing-2022-benjamin-alexander-set-to-be-first-jamaican-skier-to-compete-at-winter-olympics_sto8708034/story.shtml

Good stuff! Quite an achievement, he is at or around Eurotest pace (100 GS points).
latest report
Hmm. You can actually see a video of him skiing here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-sports/59377107

I would suggest that (like Vanessa Mae) he has rather carefully chosen his FIS races to achieve the number of points required to qualify. I don't see him passing a Eurotest any time soon.

I am sure all the politics in the video helps with his sponsorship. I am curious to see how it helps with an injected race piste in a few weeks Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Its a real balance between allowing a plucky underdog training their heart out following thier lifelong dream to represent his country at their chosen sport, or someone seeing an opportunity in a sport where they have no background/love, where there is no competition and a way of reaching a standard required to get to the Olympics

"If you go onto the International Ski Federation website, you will see that I am the best Jamaican skier out there. That doesn't say much. If you look at the rankings, I believe I’m in 3748th place in the world for giant slalom - and I’m pretty damn close to where I need to be.
"Am I better than the average skier in terms of my ability to control a race ski on an icy surface? Hell yeah, way better. Am I better than a superstar Austrian kid who’s been skiing since he was two and racing since he was seven but now he’s 14? No, that 14 year old is probably much better than I am."
ski holidays
ster wrote:
Its a real balance between allowing a plucky underdog training their heart out following thier lifelong dream to represent his country at their chosen sport, or someone seeing an opportunity in a sport where they have no background/love, where there is no competition and a way of reaching a standard required to get to the Olympics

"If you go onto the International Ski Federation website, you will see that I am the best Jamaican skier out there. That doesn't say much. If you look at the rankings, I believe I’m in 3748th place in the world for giant slalom - and I’m pretty damn close to where I need to be.
"Am I better than the average skier in terms of my ability to control a race ski on an icy surface? Hell yeah, way better. Am I better than a superstar Austrian kid who’s been skiing since he was two and racing since he was seven but now he’s 14? No, that 14 year old is probably much better than I am."

He comes across a lot better in that quote. I am all for the plucky underdog following their dream in sport, especially the middle aged ones like me!

At the risk of thread derailment though, I am less keen on people grifting off social issues to raise their profiles/sponsorship etc. It is OK to just go skiing/racing because you like it and are proud of your country.
ski holidays
I've just been watching today's Men's Downhill from Wengen on Eurosport (it's the first of two Downhills being held at Wengen, today's started a bit above the Hundschopf but tomorrow's is the full length classic distance). Interesting to see downhill racers using a snowplough to lose some speed (just before they enter the Kernen-S) albeit at about 60mph! Toofy Grin

I think that can be described as a proper racing snowplough! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Well that was an interesting two days of racing! - Marco Odermatt is seriously impressing! And sad to hear that Carlo Janka will hang up his boots after the Wengen DH tomorrow.

@Alastair Pink, Surely it was ski school no...

ski holidays
@barracuda, brilliant! Laughing Laughing
snow report
Turns out that the Jamaican skier was born in Northampton !!
snow report
Has he made up his FIS point tally yet? Because he was well under the bar for Olympic entry last time I looked.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, Yep - he made it last week at an event in Liechtenstein

"..The 38-year-old set out to fulfil the dream of becoming the 15th Jamaican to compete at a Winter Olympics, and after a strong performance in Liechtenstein has qualified for Beijing..."
snow report
He's had a massive improvement in the last couple of races.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy