Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Immense fear bordering with horror

Poster: A snowHead
@niki250, don't suppose you can remember the name of the instructor, the Snowheads massive would like to have a word Toofy Grin Laughing Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A word on Chairlifts.

Modern ones slow right down to a crawl for you to get on and off - and some even have a "Rolling Mat" to help with getting on. These make life easier.

Old Chairlifts - which may be in your resort, don't slow down at all. These are trickier.
When getting on one of these, the sneaky thing to do, is make sure you are a little further forward than at least one of the other passengers (there will probably only be 2 of you) - so they will get smacked first by the chair on the back of the legs, slowing it down! Toofy Grin Either way, you need your poles in one hand and use the other to to stop the Chair hitting you.
At the top, stand up in good time (Poles in one hand), place the other hand on the front edge of the chair and let it push you to the point where you turn away, out of its path. This can prevent getting off being too rushed, as you have stood up in good time and are ready to ski away from the chair without being panicked.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-09-21 21:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Old Fartbag, don't tell me it's you who always contrived to ensure I'm the one who gets whacked on the hamstring tendons. Not pleasant.

More seriously though for the OP, dealing with older model chairlifts is a skill in itself. You just need that subterfuge suggested (also helpful to ensure you are already slightly bent at the knees ready to sit down in an instant).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
j b wrote:
@Old Fartbag, don't tell me it's you who always contrived to ensure I'm the one who gets whacked on the hamstring tendons. Not pleasant.

More seriously though for the OP, dealing with older model chairlifts is a skill in itself. You just need that subterfuge suggested (also helpful to ensure you are already slightly bent at the knees ready to sit down in an instant).

Don't worry - I took my fair share of thwacks - until I spotted some crafty Fecker sliding forward at the last minute.....and the penny dropped. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was not taught the hockey stop. My bf used it a lot actually, but only because he tried it himself ( that's where ice skating experience comes in handy). She didn't teach us that.

I was talking yesterday to my bf and your theory on males and females talking up things differently is 100% true. I whined how it was unfair and that I expected to do at least the easiest runs, if nothing I do rollerblade and even better than him and he said that although I am technically a lot better than him I'm too afraid to do anything. I hate to admit it, but that's the truth. I just didn't know my attempt to ski would turn out to be internal struggle with myself. Laughing

I also wasn't taught any way to fall down or to get up. She just said I can't get up on my own and I must find somebody to pick me up so she just started pulling me up, even though she explained it to my bf how to get up since he fell a lot of times the first day.

As for the chair lifts, I think they're new? I mean it wasn't complicated at all.

To confirm to the person who said she was probably uninterested, yeah she was talking on the phone.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I must find somebody to pick me up

Which made further skiing without the instructor impossible since nobody could pick me up if she's not there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My wife hated her first 3 days of skiing, she was older when she started learning. She was afraid, scared of the mountain (and a little hungover) so she had a really bad start, especially as the kids seemed to be so natural. Then it clicked and she started to enjoy it, that was 5 years ago, this year as a family we're going for 3 weeks (her idea to make up for last year). Stick with it, get a nicer instructor who wants to help beginners and I'm sure you'll love it too. Good luck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
niki250 wrote:
I was not taught the hockey stop. My bf used it a lot actually, but only because he tried it himself ( that's where ice skating experience comes in handy). She didn't teach us that.

I also wasn't taught any way to fall down or to get up. She just said I can't get up on my own and I must find somebody to pick me up so she just started pulling me up, even though she explained it to my bf how to get up since he fell a lot of times the first day.

Here is a flavour of some of the Video Clips by Darren Turner, on topics that have been discussed in this thread:

http://youtube.com/v/gGsZH3SqO-I&list=PLC502BC8CCA9BB32D

http://youtube.com/v/hEKUUoxYw30

http://youtube.com/v/B8U5dpZiQp8

This covers the Hockey Stop at the start - but the rest is a stage you haven't reached yet.

http://youtube.com/v/0e7-mNDgIXw&list=PLA893DD2FE6198306&index=15

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 21-09-21 13:44; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@niki250,
Quote:

I also wasn't taught any way to fall down or to get up. She just said I can't get up on my own and I must find somebody to pick me up so she just started pulling me up

This gets worse. Mad Another invaluable technique to learn, as early as possible, is how to position yourself, lying on the piste, to then get yourself back upright. If necessary, using your 2 poles, held in one hand, as a support / lever to help, where the gradient is flat, or not very steep.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/4plfCfSRHyY
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PeakyB, Snap!

Great minds think alike. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell (Former British Racer) talks about falling: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2001/jan/13/wintersportsholidays.wintersports.guardiansaturdaytravelsection
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Side Slipping

The start of this clip demonstrates the actions needed to allow it to happen ie Flattening the skis, by gently rolling both knees downhill (more weight on the Downhill ski) - which releases the edges and lets gravity pull you sideways down the hill. If your weight is central, you will slide directly downhill. If your weight is a little forward - you will slide diagonally forwards. If your weight is a little back - you will slide diagonally backwards.

Rolling the knees back up hill, engages the edges again, which will either bring you to a stop, or take you round the corner. At your stage - simply being able to sideslip and then come to a stop, should be the goal.

Side slipping is a very useful method of getting down a section which you feel is too steep or icy to turn on.....though learning this skill (along with any others) should be under the supervision of an instructor. I mention it, so you will have an idea of what it involves.

http://youtube.com/v/SIFDZVFYfJo&list=UU2jvpwCE6Ybmizxid2qnRHg&index=38

Another demo of Side Slipping - on a steepness of slope that is way beyond you - but gets across the technique that can be used in situations that would otherwise have you scared rigid. Knowing you have something in your skillset that allows you to cope, can help settle your fear.

http://youtube.com/v/3bgenBQQ6qI
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a result of @PeakyB's suggestion of useful survival techniques - I have posted clips that graphically show them. There has been how to Hockey Stop and how to Sideslip down steep terrain - but there is one more I want to highlight, called the Kick Turn.

This allows you to change direction (where you feel it's too steep or difficult for you to do a normal ski turn and remain in control), while standing still, without losing any height. It could for example, be used if you lost control and went off the side of the Piste into heavy cruddy snow, which is too difficult to turn in. Using a Kick Turn, you can get yourself facing the right direction and traverse safely back onto the Piste.

Along with Sideslipping - it will allow you to get down nearly anything that you may come across. Again, first do it with your instructor:

http://youtube.com/v/qalV0fR6vK8
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, never mind @niki250 there is some learning for me in those videos. I am not sure I have ever got hockey stops properly, though I use elements of them to slow myself down, if I try to stop suddenly that way I find it hard to keep my balance. And I hadn't even learnt the terminology of "kick turn" let alone do them as easily as shown.

However side-slips and controlled falls were essential parts of my early skiing. My wife (as she wasn't at the time) insisted on taking me on steeper slopes than I felt happy with, so I quite often found myself at the edge of a piste finding the easiest way to turn was to fall over gently and get up pointing the other way. And I got a lot of experience managing uncontrolled falls to the best effect!
snow report
@j b, to do a hockey stop flatten your skis, rotate your feet so you are side slipping then engage the edges to brake. While you are doing that keep your upper body facing down the hill. Start on a relatively gentle slope so you have a lot of time and dont need to rush, as you improve you can go through the motions more quickly. After a very short time you will be able to do it seamlessly with no real side slip and go straight to the braking phase.
snow report
@Chris_n, that is what I learnt by watching the video. When an instructor demonstrated it to me I assumed that you needed to stop instantly, and tended to overbalance. If I had practised in 2 phases, side-slip then brake, I would probably have got it ... something to play with assuming real skiing happens this winter.
latest report
j b wrote:
@Chris_n, that is what I learnt by watching the video. When an instructor demonstrated it to me I assumed that you needed to stop instantly, and tended to overbalance. If I had practised in 2 phases, side-slip then brake, I would probably have got it ... something to play with assuming real skiing happens this winter.

Going from a Hockey Stop - to "Linked" Hockey Stops - as shown by DT in that video - is a nice way to learn to do the sort of short turns that work for small moguls and narrow paths, where you stay off your edges.

If you then do a strong edge set (with pole plant) and twist your feet, on steeper slopes, while facing d/hill - you get "sprung" into the next turn - and so find yourself doing "old school" Short Swings......but I digress.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-09-21 14:46; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@niki250
Controlled fall, as an emergency stop and evasive action, eg to try to avoid an imminent collision.

You're receiving fantastic advice. I wanted to second the controlled fall comment. I did this last year. It was my first time skiing and in the second half of the week I ventured onto the mountain on my own following instruction in the early part of the week. I set off on one section towards a short zig zagged path with a short drop on one side and a drift on the other. As I set got into this path my goggles steamed up and I was blind. I didn't feel able to stop and remove them as I couldn't see if anyone was near me and didn't have time to lift them whilst skiing. I knew the turn was approaching so rather than crash blindly or go down the drop, I deliberately veered right, right into the snowdrift. It kept me and those around me safe when I felt out of control.

That same week I also veered into a different drift to avoid the child on a sledge that decided to cut across my path. It's a nice soft landing at least.

It sounds like despite the shocking tuition you received you are still keen, which is fantastic. Definitely find a new instructor and learn separately from your boyfriend until you feel more confident.
snow conditions
@j b, ah but I didn't watch the video wink . Everyone tries to do do what you did, normally making a quite a good job of engaging their edges for the first time unless you break it down when teaching.
The second sentence in your reply is by far the most important part of learning to ski, playing is absolutely key to early stages of learning.
latest report
@Owlette,
Quote:

PeakyB wrote:
@niki250
Controlled fall, as an emergency stop and evasive action, eg to try to avoid an imminent collision.

You're receiving fantastic advice. I wanted to second the controlled fall comment

Thanks. I’ve been pretending all my falls are deliberate and controlled for decades. wink
snow conditions
Owlette wrote:

You're receiving fantastic advice. I wanted to second the controlled fall comment. I did this last year. It was my first time skiing and in the second half of the week I ventured onto the mountain on my own following instruction in the early part of the week. I set off on one section towards a short zig zagged path with a short drop on one side and a drift on the other. As I set got into this path my goggles steamed up and I was blind. I didn't feel able to stop and remove them as I couldn't see if anyone was near me and didn't have time to lift them whilst skiing. I knew the turn was approaching so rather than crash blindly or go down the drop, I deliberately veered right, right into the snowdrift. It kept me and those around me safe when I felt out of control.

That same week I also veered into a different drift to avoid the child on a sledge that decided to cut across my path. It's a nice soft landing at least.

It sounds like despite the shocking tuition you received you are still keen, which is fantastic. Definitely find a new instructor and learn separately from your boyfriend until you feel more confident.

Back at the point that Lady F was learning - Ski Evolutif in Les Arcs - when skiing on paths, she would often use the "Stuff yourself into the nearest banking" method of stopping....leaving a Cartoon like image in the snow. If there was no banking at hand, a small, snow-covered bush would suffice - it was a bit like a daft, slow motion game of pinball.

On one occasion, when she was a wobbly intermediate, we were skiing back to Meribel Mottaret on a wide path. She caught an edge and without warning, disappeared over the edge on the right....but did so in a way that she took me over as well (without realising she'd done so). When she stopped sliding, she wiped the snow from her sunglasses, looked up, saw me, and with a mixture of awe and surprise said, "Wow, it's amazing you were able to get down here so quickly". rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-09-21 20:06; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Old Fartbag, Laughing
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
The second sentence in your reply is by far the most important part of learning to ski, playing is absolutely key to early stages of learning.

A message important to @niki250. A need to be on the border between comfort zone where you can play with your technique, and just out of it where you can find whether things are actually working, is the ideal spot.

For me though ... I have realised it is rather too long since I last had a lesson (though my wife and daughter have). I am sure I would benefit.
ski holidays
I was never at the proper mountain in the winter before, and I completely fell in love. And I did enjoy skiing the first day. It would be a shame not to try again.

The crappy instructor actually gave me another reason to try until I succeed and that is that she's made me so afraid that if I manage to conquer my fears I'll feel like the strongest person in the world.

Your advice was so valuable. The videos you all linked are amazing! I should probably learn the basics on bunny slopes and then find a good instructor to take me to the proper one. By the time I manage to do that my bf will gain even more experience so I'll feel safe going down the blue runs with him.

I hope there are people who managed to ski (easy slopes) even if they're afraid of open high spaces. And I hope it's like any other fear which can be conquered. But I do think familiarity with the slopes will make me desensitized over time.
ski holidays
niki250 wrote:
I should probably learn the basics on bunny slopes and then find a good instructor to take me to the proper one.

I would say that you should learn the basics with an Instructor - as teaching yourself from videos, especially as a beginner, seldom works, due to not getting feedback on what you are doing. Ingrained faults take longer to sort out, than learning correctly in the first place. Seeing oneself on video is an eye-opener, as most of us are not in the dynamic skiing position we think we are....but too upright and inactive.

The reason I posted the Videos (and the link to others), is to give you an idea about how you should be taught; see how you should progress and be a resource to help understand what you are being taught and why, which can then trigger discussion points with your instructor.
ski holidays
More of my Waffle - or should I say, things I've learned over the years:

1. Get fit. Leg Blasters are the single best exercise: https://sawback.com/blog/leg-blasters/

2. Do not ski after you're tired - especially avoid that "one last run" at the end of the day....due to high risk of injury

3. Be aware of the Mid Week blues - where everything seems to fall apart, due to an accumulation of tiredness (mental and physical)

4. Do not skimp on Gloves/Mittens, Socks (surprisingly important) or Goggles (with a good all-round lens eg. Oakley Prizm Rose or a Photochromic one)

5. Use a Hemet - that fits properly

6. Stay well hydrated - and don't drink much alcohol at lunchtime (if skiing in the afternoon)

7. Eat food that will give decent energy (Carbs) - as you will expend a lot of it

8. Put some sort of sticker on your hired skis, so a) You can recognize them and b) Someone else doesn't take them by mistake

9. Use breathable fabrics and good wicking fabrics next to skin ie. not cotton

10. Use layers of clothing - which can be added or subtracted according to the weather

11. If a cold time of year - have some Glove Liners (can be Silk, Merino Wool or other Thermal fabric) - or if suffer cold hands, get some heated glove liners, like those from Blaze Wear.

12. If continuing to ski - Get your own Boots - but Good Bootfitters are few and far between.

A tip from Lady F - When Female, get a Male Instructor, as they are often more sympathetic (Chivalrous) and provide eye candy. snowHead

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 22-09-21 21:31; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
To add to Fartbag's superb list, don't be afraid to take a morning or afternoon off.

I think there's certainly the feeling that you need to be on the mountain all day every day as you've paid a fortune for your ski holiday and it might be the only week on snow that you get. But there's a lot to be said for a morning in the pool to relax those aching muscles, and to let your mind unwind too. You'll hit the slopes that afternoon feeling rejuvenated.

Small Owl wanted a morning off on the Thursday. He was 6 and had been in full day lessons since the Sunday. He was exhausted. He had a lovely morning chilling out at the apartment with Mr. Owl and then joined Big Owl and I at lunch ready to tackle his afternoon lesson.

Don't be afraid to take breaks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
8. Put some sort of sticker on your hired skis, so a) You can recognize them and b) Someone else doesn't take them by mistake

May not often happen but it sometimes does. We had one trip where everything went wrong. There was a lady in the same chalet (so had rented from the same place the company had an arrangement with) who each morning grabbed the first pair of skis she found of the same make as the one she had hired - but only discovered at the top of the gondola they were set up for someone else's boot. We twice got caught out with missing skis and spending an hour getting the rep to phone everyone to find them.

And then one day we went for lunch and my wife found her skis missing when we came out. No idea how the person managed, but fortunately there was still someone from the same party in the restaurant who realised what had gone wrong, and skiied down to the bottom carrying the skis that should have been taken, and then completed the circuit to get the right skis back to us. That restaurant did very well selling coffees that afternoon.

Before lockdown we finally bought skis of our own - and I have bought a set of Snowhead stickers off @admin hoping that no one else on the mountain will have those on their skis ...
snow conditions
j b wrote:
Before lockdown we finally bought skis of our own - and I have bought a set of Snowhead stickers off @admin hoping that no one else on the mountain will have those on their skis ...

Also get a lock - if nothing else, it makes an insurance claim easier if the worst happens. I swop one ski with the person I'm skiing with (usually Daughter) - and use the lock. I have nice Carbon Poles, which come with me into the Restaurant.

My Daughter uses K2 Burnin Luv from 2007 - and when we were in Crested Butte a couple of years ago, she stopped at the end of the day having taken off her skis....when I saw an older lady lift my Daughter's K2s by mistake - as she had the same model, in the same length and just assumed they were hers. If I hadn't spotted it, I suspect the skis would have been put in the boot of her car and taken home....and she would have only realised her mistake when she next came to the mountain.
latest report
Maybe it's better to ask here than to open a new thread. Could I use children's skis, if they're like 140 cm long? I'm asking this, because I suppose they're lighter and more beginner friendly? And a lot cheaper too.
latest report
niki250 wrote:
Maybe it's better to ask here than to open a new thread. Could I use children's skis, if they're like 140 cm long? I'm asking this, because I suppose they're lighter and more beginner friendly? And a lot cheaper too.

I think that would be a bad idea - IIRC I don't think an adult boot will fit in a child binding....but aside from that, they are designed for children. A Lady's Beginner Ski will be light and Beginner Friendly....and designed with Female physiology in mind.
snow report
Quote:

I would say that you should learn the basics with an Instructor

That would be ideal, but I've already spent a lot of money on the basics last year. I'm aware of the fact that I sound stupid for not wanting to spend too much money on this, but it's unfair since I did pay last year but got nothing.

I'm DIY and Teach Yourself type of person, and the one time I've actually decided to take classes it turned out like this.

I'm feeling so silly for being so sad over this and I don't get it why it breaks my heart so much.
snow report
@niki250, I'm a bit of a skinflint myself so I wouldn't worry too much on that account. Skiing is a bit costly at first because most you need some sort of tuition to get started, you hire equipment, you need some specialist clothing and to some extent you may pay a bit over the odds for holidays because you are a rookie. However, you can mitigate against some of it. For example clothing you can get the minimum required, buy second hand, borrow, etc. Where you probably don't want to skimp is on tuition. Because even if you don't have the best gear or the best hire gear or the best accommodation, good tuition is going to make you feel good and put you on the right path. That said....

You don't necessarily need loads of it... quality is equally important as quantity. If you do take a private lesson for a couple of hours it seems expensive but it will be intensive and tailored. You can ski for 3/4 days at least just practicing everything you were told/taught and getting in the mileage that is required to embed the skills and techniques. When you are happy just go back for another couple of hours and get pushed on again.

If you are DIY/TY type you can do a lot more with the tuition you get. And you can read up, watch videos (be careful it's a reputable teacher) and practice yourself to reinforce.
ski holidays
@niki250, My wife has a set of Atomic ETL* - "Easy To Learn" skis which are 123cm, but built for adults. I personally think they are ridiculously short and she will, at some point, have to get longer skis. They make turning easier when learning, but you lack stability for going straight.

That said, she wouldn't have got back up the mountain without them, so it's better than nothing.

For now!

* My son labelled them "Extra Tiny Length" skis.
snow conditions
niki250 wrote:
Quote:

I would say that you should learn the basics with an Instructor

That would be ideal, but I've already spent a lot of money on the basics last year. I'm aware of the fact that I sound stupid for not wanting to spend too much money on this, but it's unfair since I did pay last year but got nothing.

I'm DIY and Teach Yourself type of person, and the one time I've actually decided to take classes it turned out like this.

I'm feeling so silly for being so sad over this and I don't get it why it breaks my heart so much.

The fact you spent a lot of money to learn the basics - and are not comfortable with the basics on an easy slope - is the fault of the Instructor.

Not having the spare cash to spend on lots more lessons, doesn't make you sound stupid, but pragmatic (and normal).

You are much better with those Video Clips, than without them....and with what you've learned already, should allow you to progress.

Get your Boyfriend to Video you skiing and post it on here - and there is enough knowledge, but better still, Instructors, to give you feedback.

Like I said before - there is something about sliding on two planks, that induces fear - which causes the body to do the exact opposite of what it should be doing eg. Twisting the upper body about to help turn; pulling away from the slope, by leaning back and leaning uphill; looking down at your skis and keeping your arms and hands close to your body.

Sometimes, understanding how a ski turns - helps understand why you make the motions that you do. In the case of Carving - near the start of this Video (@ 0.47), Darren Turner explains why/how the shape and design of the Ski makes it a "turning machine". The rest of the video is for a later stage in your skiing.

http://youtube.com/v/UGn62uxnhjg&list=PLD933EFB0EA5BFFAB&index=5

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 24-09-21 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
How tall are you? I ski with 128cm skis but I'm only 152cm tall and 50kg. I have children's poles! They suit me just fine.

I'm a DIYer too. I paid for 1:2 tuition on our ski holiday (shared with my husband). We had three 2 hour lessons and I spent the rest of the holiday doing the same 3 or 4 runs repeatedly so that I could focus on my technique. Since we came home I have taken out an annual pass to my local dry slope to carry on practicing. Dry slopes are harder to ski on so fingers crossed I'll be flying by the next time I'm on snow. I've found that this repeated practice has been the best thing for my confidence, particularly when it comes to going fast.
snow report
Owlette wrote:
How tall are you? I ski with 128cm skis but I'm only 152cm tall and 50kg. I have children's poles! They suit me just fine.

From a much earlier post: 165cm/60kg.
snow report
@niki250 I'll also support what @Old Fartbag has said about watching Darren Turner's videos on You Tube. They do indeed cover everything and have been the biggest inspiration to me to improve my skiing. Don't be afraid to watch as many as you've got time for, but do try to go through them in order, starting from the introductory videos, etc. and then progressing through Beginners, Intermediate and Advance.

One thing I didn't really get when I learned to ski originally was that the snowplough is really just a tool to keep your speed down and a method to stop quickly. It's something you use initially and then forget, except for when you want to stop quickly in a emergency and you can't do a hockeystop.

As you go through Darren's videos you will see how you quickly start to turn parallel and then progress to carving.

I hope that you manage to get back on the slopes this winter and soon find out why it's so much fun.
snow conditions
DixieDean wrote:
@niki250 I'll also support what @Old Fartbag has said about watching Darren Turner's videos on You Tube. They do indeed cover everything and have been the biggest inspiration to me to improve my skiing. Don't be afraid to watch as many as you've got time for, but do try to go through them in order, starting from the introductory videos, etc. and then progressing through Beginners, Intermediate and Advance.

One thing I didn't really get when I learned to ski originally was that the snowplough is really just a tool to keep your speed down and a method to stop quickly. It's something you use initially and then forget, except for when you want to stop quickly in a emergency and you can't do a hockeystop.

As you go through Darren's videos you will see how you quickly start to turn parallel and then progress to carving.

I hope that you manage to get back on the slopes this winter and soon find out why it's so much fun.

I agree with all that - though IMV the Snowplough does much more than be a means of slowing down. When doing a Snowplough Turn, the Turning Leg is in the same position as it is in a basic Parallel Turn - except that you have the safety of an outrigger - and the ski is already on its edge and ready to turn. It really allows you to feel the ski biting and turning, while feeling in control and not having the psychological pressure of turning with parallel skis (which involves being able to flatten them, so they drop into the fall line, allowing you to change direction).

Taught correctly and within context - it's a great stepping stone. Taught incorrectly (as in how to progress from it), it becomes a "crutch" which is hard to completely drop from one's skiing ie. Using a small stem to start a turn, rather than the correct movements to keep the skis parallel.....though this was more of an issue with Straight Skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy