Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Abolition of amber/green lists

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does this make you more or less likely to travel?

Germany and Austria have been on the green list, so you would have had to be really unlucky for them to move directly to Red while there for a week. But with no intermediate step, they and anywhere else on the Rest of the World (i.e. non-Red) list could now move to Red before you get back - and so require hotel quarantine.

I am sure the intention is to encourage travel to former amber-list countries like France and Italy, but it may have no impact on those while reducing travel to former green-list countries.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
whatever the plan is in September I doubt it will be the same by January?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think rather more useful is the abolition of the thing where they made you pay for "tests" from the companies run by their chums.
In my case they didn't even bother to process the test results: it was government thievery.

Except chargeback works even against the governments buddies, for now at least.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The main thing for me is the hastle getting into a country or finding a PCR test there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You will still need tests to return home though no? Or am I just unlucky to be coming back home before the rules change?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, As I understand it nothing changes until 4th October. From then if vaccinated no test is required to return to the UK, but day 2 PCR after return is still required. From an unspecified date later in October that PCR will be replaced with a lateral flow test. It doesn't help that the BBC report of the changes uses "return", "departure", "arrival" interchangeably with no regard to the actual meaning!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting. Removing the "in country" test requirement isn't really all that helpful as those are quick and easy to get, it's the UK based scam tests which are expensive and in my case at least the companies doing them appear fraudulent - they gave me the number but the test wasn't processed. Presumably reducing that 2-day-test from a PCR to lateral flow will at least reduce the cost and presumably the profits to be made by the scammers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Removing the "in country" test requirement isn't really all that helpful

It does mean that you won't be stuck abroad, unable to return to the UK.

Now, there are plenty on here for whom that is the very stuff that dreams are made of but it would be inconvenient for most.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
Interesting. Removing the "in country" test requirement isn't really all that helpful as those are quick and easy to get,.......

I disagree. It's the risk of 'failing' that test and then being stranded in a foreign country with the unknown costs of their local quaranteen system that puts a lot of people off international travel. Failing a day-2 test once back in the UK just means isolating at home, with far fewer unknown costs and implicatons.

Whether it's wise to allow people to return home who are potentially infected is a different question, especially in the confines of a Eurostar or an airborne people tube.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
Interesting. Removing the "in country" test requirement isn't really all that helpful as those are quick and easy to get

You have sussed this. Most others haven't, and will continue to pay overpriced UK companies for “peace of mind” or whatever it is they're being sold. When I told people in the UK that I could walk in to a test centre and be out in under a minute with an internationally recognised certificate 20 mins later and all for free, I was met with shock and surprise that it was so fast and easy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Judwin wrote:
I disagree. It's the risk of 'failing' that test and then being stranded in a foreign country with the unknown costs of their local quaranteen system that puts a lot of people off international travel. Failing a day-2 test once back in the UK just means isolating at home, with far fewer unknown costs and implicatons.

Whether it's wise to allow people to return home who are potentially infected is a different question, especially in the confines of a Eurostar or an airborne people tube.

People also come to the UK from other countries. This overpriced, complicated system is not helpful and holds just as much risk for quarantine in the UK for a foreign national (except it doesn't because they'd never get hold of you before your return flight rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@philwig, with you on that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have to book and pay for a test in France to return to the UK. Due to a prior engagement with an online study day on Friday for hubby, we chose to bring tests with us. We test twice weekly already, so are used to the procedure. If we do have to quarantine, we have our own apartment to stay in and no-one else booked in for the next few weeks. I can live with that one. The ones we bought were delivered the next day, and were a similar price to the French tests. Following Friday's announcement, I've now ordered the day 2 PCR ones, as we'll be back home before October 4th, and already have the order code for the PLF. I found the cheapest one we could that was linked from a reputable source. I could see no need to find anything more expensive, I'll be back in the UK before I find out I have no test to use, and T&T are sending people without tests to NHS ones instead.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmm PCR or Antigen???

just back from a very pleasant 2 week jaunt to the pyrennees, crossing over back and forth between the two countries.

1.Had to book a day 2 test before travel.
2Had to complete a spanish "passenger locator form" before travel.
3 had to have my NHS covid "passport" But also had signed up to the french anticovid app which recognises my NHS covid passport (Not really a passport but hey, who cares what its called)
check in at Brittany ferries, they wanted to see 1, 2 and 3 before we could check in.
Spanish customs at Bilbao wanted to stamp my passport (the real one!) not interested in any of the rest, they did ask where were we going, lost interest when we said "pyrennees"
Return journey
1 complete UK passenger locator form (easy if typically, long winded government form) This form required the day2 test booking ref number
2 obtain a local Antigen test.. we did this in France because it was easier than trying to access info on spanish websites as to where such a test could be obtained and we were in a different hotel/location each night).
As we were not locals (when they are free) the Pharmacie in Luchon very helpfully relieved each of us of euros 25.01 for the tests! It took about 10 mins each before we could celebrate our new "NEGATIF" staus in the local bar! (we had tested ourselves before the official version for strategic reasons)

Arrival at santander port BF required to see the PLF and the antigen test before allowing us through.

its a piece of cake, really, just a slight pain form filling.

turns out we could have got an antigen test across the road from the checkin if only BF had told us!

lots of people in queue were suffering from severe Testitis induced stress, they all had a variety of notions about what hoops they had to jump through!
Many thought they had to have a PCR test, but HM Govt simply states that is "preferable" not a legal requirement

It will be even easier this winter, the return test bollix will be replaced by a free NHS antigen at your local test and trace depot.

Of course, if you test positive then you are screwed, but we had a contigency plan in place for that, which is why we pre tested, once you are in the local official system you have few options
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy