Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In-resort ski carrying

Poster: A snowHead
We’re going out to Morzine in a group of 5 in Jan, and we’ll hire a car. Our skis live in resort, so no issues with the journey from Geneva, but wondering about driving around resort with 5 sets of skis - ideally we won’t need to pay the extra for a ski rack from the hire co (which looks like it may only be a rack for one or two pairs of skis anyway). If we hire something like an Octavia estate is it feasible to get skis in the car with people, or would we be better buying something like a handirack or some magnetic racks that can live at our apartment (and so aren’t car-model specific)? Even with a ski hatch in the back seat I’m thinking you might be limited to 4 people in the car?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
5 is a lot. We managed it a few seasons ago, with a Landrover Discovery 4. You certainly need a big car.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without a rack or roofbox you'll need 7 seater, unless your skis are very short. But the microchip shortage means renting a 7 seat car will be crazy expensive.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought Teton Gravity Research had previously, er, researched this question in a non-car context?

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

PS: My Octavia estate didn’t fit the skis (with 4 occupants plus all their luggage) in without either (a) using the tunnel in the centre back seat, or (b) having the left-hand back seat down. Got four sHs plus our skis plus all luggage in for an airport run from resort, with LH back seat down. A bit tight, especially for the guys in the back, and they probably wouldn’t have wanted to go further. In the front the situation was as per normal. My 170 skis won’t fit in the boot no matter how I try. Can’t remember if we had 4 skis between us or more, but I think we could have got 5 or 6 sets of skis in that way if there’d been a bit less luggage. I was on a multiweek tour so I had taken the kitchen sink, and the other guys were flying. However, hard ski boxes would have made it a lot more difficult but all our luggage was soft type. For 5 skiers, a roofrack or box would be needed (edit: unless - maybe not needed, depending on length of skis and degree of passengers' bravery/competence/improvisability? There is another way - see later post.) but . I’ll get the tape measure out and see how short a ski would fit. (edit: I reckon 140-145 tops would fit in the Octavia's boot.)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 18-09-21 11:05; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all - will look into handiracks or something we can keep out there and switch between cars or just bite the bullet and use the bus. We would prefer to ski from Ardent most of the time, and that’s two buses from our place so a car is deffo more convenient.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would disagree that you need a big car to get 5 pairs on the roof, but you may have to come up with a custom solution. Getting 5 people in the car was a bigger issue but we only did pretty short joureys with 5 in the car.

Didn't read your message properly, this isn't going to work for a hire car but it does demonstrate that unless you have a really space efficient system, 5 is pushing it on a small car, I doubt that the magnetic ski holders are space efficient enough

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’ll be a decent sized motor (Octavia estate seems a popular one at GVA) so getting people in isn’t a worry - it was carting the skis. Like I say we could use the bus or thinking about it shuttle a couple of people over to Montriond to get the bus to avoid going into town and switching buses.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay,

If there is also a bus option then ........

All the skis in the car. Three people in the car and two go on the bus.

You drive the car to the location. Drop two off with skis.

Then go pick up the other two from the bus (if it is further away) or they walk over and meet you all in the car so no need to drop off people and skis.

Then each day there is a different two on the bus for fairness.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, just pondering the logistics @GlasgowCyclops! It’s possible to do the whole thing on buses in Morzine but to get to where we’d prefer to ski from it’s a bus into town and then another bus to our preferred lift - but an option is to drop 2 or 3 folks at a stop on the second bus route (if that makes sense) as it passes 5mins drive from our place but across the river so not a walking option. Then drive others and skis up and meet them at the car park. Or shuttle them up and pick the others up (it’s about 15mins drive each way) - it’s entirely possible my youngest daughter could be half an hour behind everyone else!

Or just all get the bus and ski from Super Morzine lift!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay, We've done it with 4 pair of skis and 4 in the car. We've had a Skoda Yeti and pretty sure we had an Octavia estate on one trip (or similar sized estate). Might be uncomfortable with 5 and 5 but I guess you'll only be making short trips.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
@andy from embsay, We've done it with 4 pair of skis and 4 in the car. We've had a Skoda Yeti and pretty sure we had an Octavia estate on one trip (or similar sized estate). Might be uncomfortable with 5 and 5 but I guess you'll only be making short trips.

Thanks - we’ll certainly give it a go!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If it were me in resort in the Octavia estate with 4 others, 5 sets of skis 180 max, no rack/roofbox, I'd try it and see, because I just tried something and it would probably work in practice. The skis can go in, bazooka style, between the back headrests, and so long as the car ceiling trim and hatch - and the occupants - are protected from the skis in some way, and secured e.g. with a couple of bungee cords, I don't see why not? The skis in the picture are my 170s and the hatch is down. I think 180s would fit OK as the ends of the skis weren't hard against the hatch, and it was a first try anyway. Incidentally I found snowboards were a bit more of a nuisance. So I'd probably try it first, and only if in practice it was too much hassle, or danger of decapitation/car damage, get a rack. I haven't got one at the mo.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks so much for that @Fat George! That’s so helpful - will look at the estate car options (from memory a Passat estate wasn’t too expensive, so maybe a wee bit more room in that - I think the longest skis we have are about 176).

Thanks again!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, if you want to experiment a little you can make an adaptable (fit any vehicle) rack similar to the proprietary air type.

Using this type material https://www.millercare.co.uk/stayput-non-slip-fabric-roll/ folded triple or quad layer to place on car roof, then run two decent quality but thin ratchet straps to secure through open door apertures. Before you "fit" them, get short bungy cords, fold in half and loop round the ratchet straps to finish by passing the two ends back through the loops to tighten in location on the straps. Put as many as you need to secure total number of objects to straps.

Sounds more complicated than it is to assemble but all straps will fit in a small bag plus the tacky matt and can just be left with your skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ANR1N50/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_X8ZKJ2363CM5Q91G1JC2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

I use one of these for surfboards when hiring a car. I reckon they would be ok for skis as well with a bit of practice. You probably wouldn't be more than 3 pairs on it but that would free up quite a lot of space inside the car.
snow conditions
If you're slow starters in the morning the 'part way bus stop' option would work but I'd go 'two buses' if you like to be out early doors. I do a guided off piste week each Jan, staying in the centre of Morzine and catching the first bus up to Prodains every morning and by the time we're leaving Morzine town the bus is full and driving past people at the later stops. It eases up after the initial 'first lifter' rush so only an issue if your group want to be part of that rush.

Another option would be to contact some of the hire shops in Ardent and see if any of them do locker hire (can't ever remember seeing any public lockers at the bottom of Ardent but also never been looking for them).

Personally I'd go bazooka style as Fat George suggested, just make sure you have have a ski bag or similar to wrap them in - partly to counter the risk of edges damaging the car interior but especially when you're heading home with snow melting off them and dripping everywhere.
latest report
Quote:
and so long as the car ceiling trim and hatch - and the occupants - are protected from the skis in some way

Back seat passenger wraps an arm around them Eh oh!
ski holidays
How about Foam Roof Rack? They used a lot for water sports.
snow conditions
For a short journey you could open the back passenger windows and carry the skis horizontally with the ends sticking out. Most cars will be wider than typical piste skis when you include the wing mirrors, so the skis shouldn't bash into anything.

Or maybe just open one window, and lean them diagonally in the rear passenger footwell?
ski holidays
@HilbertSpace, Not particularly safe and possibly illegal Toofy Grin
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@HilbertSpace, Not particularly safe and possibly illegal Toofy Grin

What about sticking them out the back of the car, and tie down the boot? People do that all the time, at B&Q or the tip!
snow report
put them vertically up against the car door , bases in ...hook brakes into top of window and do the window up tight ... watch out for low level car parks and entrances.

or put skis on roof rack ,, for extra room put boots into bindings ,... for even more room get passenger to stand in boots in ski on roof rack .. for more space add more skis and boots and passengers to roof

obligatory race position required to aid speed and better fuel economy .. goggles and that really awful poles in the air tuck optional ( but advised)
snow report
2 in front, 3 in back. Rear windows open and ski's laying across ways and resting on door of open window.

Slightly tongue in cheek, but - suspect it would work for a 15 min drive.
snow conditions
Of course the main question is, if skis live in morzine, why do you need to drive around? From morzine you can ski anywhere in PdS, no driving required.
latest report
Duplicate deleted
latest report
halfhand wrote:
Of course the main question is, if skis live in morzine, why do you need to drive around? From morzine you can ski anywhere in PdS, no driving required.

Prefer to ski from Ardent rather than the route via Super Morzine and our place is out at Pied de la Plagne so two buses to Ardent (and a plod over the bridge).

Obvs if skiing Pleney side we’ll hop on the U bus, but Ardent is our preferred start point if skiing Avoriaz/Chatel/CH.
snow report
We have the same issue if we are in Chatel for a weekend trip and want to start in Morgins or Pre La Joux with 5.

Best car to rent is a MPV that has a 60/40 split middle row. 2 in the front, 2 in the middle with 1/3 seat folded and 1 smallest person in the back row. Skis down the side - we use a tarp to keep car free of snow melt and scratches.

Another option is to keep some cheap roof bars (with ski racks) and clamps for the two common types of roof rails (raised or flush) which I believe are fitted to most SUV’s and some estates available to rent. You could probably cobble together some cheap unwanted 2nd hand Thule from eBay.

On a normal day we would walk to Super Chatel and start from there. We always drive from London if going for a week.
ski holidays
Good idea on the roof bars if they are reasonably interchangeable. I’d looked at 7 seaters but as someone mentioned they’re pretty eye-watering this year compared with an estate.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hire two small cars? We did this one year when we had six in the apartment. Worked out cheaper than a 7 seater and a bit more flexible. I haven’t checked current prices.
snow report
@andy from embsay, Someone mentioned ski lockers. I would message the tourist office and see if there are any where you want to be. We have rented lockers a number of times at the bottom of lifts for various reasons. Ski rental shops will also sometimes let you pay to leave your own skis there, especially if you are renting any equipment at all from them.
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, no lockers at Ardent, unfortunately, and to be honest we’d still want the option of being able to ski elsewhere.

@DJL, good call - although I’ve spotted a VW Touran for about £100 a week extra over a Focus sized car.

Thanks for all the ideas, folks - lots of food for thought!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy