Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
We're also heading out in March after Holiday Shuttle has ended their transfer service for the season. I did stumble across this alternative; https://www.austriatransfer.com/en , https://www.austriatransfer.com/downloads/fahrplaene2021/Saalbach_Hinterglemm.pdf .

Anyone got any experience of them? Reviews seem pretty sparse and their service doesn't seem easy to find via normal google searches.

I have booked them, they didn't request any payment in advance so worst case scenario is if the transfer shuttle doesn't turn up then I jump on the local bus.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@weezer, seems to be the same company as https://www.gasteintaxi.com/en/ - Rudigier Reisen, with an address in Badhofgastein. Google reviews look reasonable (4.2/5.0) with the usual scattering of whingers, and they're listed on all of the main Gasteinertal websites. They have an office in Salzburg, so presumably will go anywhere in the region if the demand is there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@weezer, @ousekjarr, could turn out to be the transfer service of choice. Their (single journey) prices are certainly competitive at €100 for a couple and €180 for four adults and two children. I wonder how many vehicles they have at their disposal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours,
Quote:
We are a passenger transport company with headquarters in Salzburg City, Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein. Our fleet consists of more than 30 vehicles in the premium classes Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagen, Audi and touring coaches up to 72 people. You have the choice between enonomy, business, luxury and VIP class vehicles.

They have at least 7 coaches as they offer a range of sizes, so since their transfer service is running to multiple places which don't easily make up a single route, my assumption would be that they have at least 4 minibuses for shared transfers, and will replace/augment that with a standard 8 seater to cope with variation in demand. I'm guessing at quiet times they'll send a car or offer a different departure time, as they'll know in advance how many people are booked onto each journey.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ousekjarr, thanks for that; I’m continually getting requests for suggestions or recommendations of transfer services, not least from my own family and friends.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll let you know how it works out once I'm back.

All communication with them so far has been quick and pretty clear, coming in both German and English.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A quick click around their transfer offerings shows up a few queries - their first transfer each day shows 0800 at Munich, 1000 at Salzburg, and no matter which destination you choose, it shows arrival at 1130. Same times for Wagrain & Flachau (about 45 minutes) and Saalbach (about 90 minutes on a completely different route via Lofer), so I'm guessing they actually have no specific timetable or routes and just advertise those times as indications and to try to encourage passengers to consolidate. I'd also doubt their ability to reach Saalbach in 90 minutes in a minibus at peak times, but maybe they can.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@weezer, good find, be very interested in their service and your feedback , their schedule doesn’t look to bad, have they given you an estimated arrival / journey time?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'd also doubt their ability to reach Saalbach in 90 minutes in a minibus at peak times, but maybe they can.

@ousekjarr, 90 minutes is a fair average estimate. I remember once doing it in under an hour, using the Holiday Shuttle. Obviously not at a peak time, and the driver bore an uncanny resemblance to Lewis Hamilton.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone got a view as to whether piste 168 will hold up till 12th March? Desperate to ski it as often been closed on our visits .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I will be in Saalbach on my own from 17 - 23 March. Definitely up for meeting up on Paddy's evening (won't arrive in resort until 10pm, though). Also up for some leisurely blue piste pootling if that matches up with anyone's level!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RetroBod wrote:
Anyone got a view as to whether piste 168 will hold up till 12th March? Desperate to ski it as often been closed on our visits .

Top half (above the road) was lovely last week, bottom half reasonable-ish cover (occasional thin patch) but heavy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

RetroBod wrote:

Top half (above the road) was lovely last week, bottom half reasonable-ish cover (occasional thin patch) but heavy.

We're out on Saturday and I'm in full weather forecast / webcam watch mode. The temperatures at valley level look pretty warm for the next 8 days. There does seem to be a chance of a small top up on the 7th/8th, but looks like no more than a cm or two at valley level, at best. End result, I'm not holding my breath for it being open for us from the 5th. I'd be delighted if I was wrong though!

I'll try and report back on here during next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@RobMcQ, the nights look cold, though (comfortably sub zero). And with it not being a main holiday week, and not too much ‘damage’ to the pistes, you might well be ok Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RobMcQ, out in the 12th so any reports gladly received!
latest report
@Cacciatore, I like your positive thinking, thanks. It'll be our first time in S-H and it'd be great to have 168 open as it sounds like a great run for the kids. I also like the sound of a Hecherhutte stop, given Tatman's top rating for the place.

@RetroBod, I'll try and post a few times during the week.
snow report
Quote:

I also like the sound of a Hecherhutte stop, given Tatman's top rating for the place.

I might pay it a visit for lunch tomorrow and will then be able to check out piste 168.
My current impression is that there is plenty of snow, and, despite the sunny weather, the air temperatures are relatively cold, especially at night, so I’m optimistic. As ever, it boils down to the depth of the snow, and also how keen the piste maintenance guys are to keep maintaining it.
latest report
just found out our hotel kitchen will be closed on monday (lack of staff) so we get to explore and try a local venue, any suggestions for a nice romantic meal for the wife and i? perhaps a nice steak? within Saalbach. Happy to make an advance booking.

I know hotel peter gets a good review for its "cooked at the table" steak but i'm maybe thinking somewhere else, maybe with a nice bottle of red.

Eva Alm? I did look at tiroler baum but its shut on a monday aswell!
snow report
@enduroaid, the restaurant at the Kendler is very good https://www.kendler.at/en/hotel/herzlstubn-restaurant/

The Eva Alm is fairly standard but nice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-03-22 21:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:

As ever, it boils down to the depth of the snow, and also how keen the piste maintenance guys are to keep maintaining it.
Assume there is still no snow making down there either?
snow conditions
@RobMcQ, you will not be disappointed!
ski holidays
Guys any recommendations for restaurants in hinterglemm (where we are staying) and zell? Thinking of spending an evening in zell and taxi-ing it back. Nothing too posh as we have kids but something half decent. Also is it easy enough to get into the town centre from the bottom of the lifts or is a taxi needed?
latest report
@riman8, in Hinterglem, Liemers or Heurigenstube both are good, THOMSN is good for casual dining, we have eaten at each of them and not been disappointed.

Not sure why you would want to go all the way to Zell, but you will go past one of the best restaurants in Saalbach Hinterglem, which is the https://www.tirolerbuam.at/en/restaurant/, the kids can have wood fired pizza and you can have some good food and a good wine list, the restaurant looks quite classic Austrian but the food isn’t.

There is also the Kendler in Saalbach, their venison was delicious and the wine list is good too.

There are more choices in Hinterglem but we haven’t tried them, this may help you, https://www.salzburgerland.com/en/via-culinaria-a-culinary-stroll/
snow report
Thanks @radar, want to go over to zell for the day on the Express for a change. Thought we’d make an evening of it
ski holidays
Just in case anyone fancies dining at my favourite restaurant, the Hecherhuette, the cost of a taxi back to Saalbach (booked through the Hecherhuette) is €40, which can be pretty reasonable if a few people share an 8-seater taxi. Obviously that would mean skiing down to it and spending the evening there (no hardship!)
The steak and king prawn dishes (and everything for that matter) are superb, as is the service and ambiance.
ski holidays
@riman8, in Zell I can recommend The Burger factory, they are in the Byron burger category.
snow report
@riman8, don’t know the restaurants in central Zell, but I do like the Seecamp restaurant on the northern shore of the lake - a lovely setting, especially if it’s a fine, warm evening and you can sit on the terrace. Good food too.
Of course it would involve walking just less than a quarter of the way round the lake from Zell in a clockwise direction, which could actually be a very pleasant thing to do, if not encumbered by ski gear.
I also once had a nice meal at the lakeside “Seestrand” restaurant at Thumersbach on the eastern side of the lake.
Also on the eastern side of the lake, the Erlhof (the former residence of the Von Trapp family, where most of the singing children were born) is reckoned to be the best restaurant in the entire area.
snow conditions
Decisions decisions. What skis to bring. It’s looking warm for when we arrive on 7th March. How is cover holding up over resort? Do I bring my newer all mountain 100mm underfoot or my I can happy ski over rocks/patchy snow 92mm tried and tested.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ldj226, cover’s pretty good, as is the piste maintenance - you’re unlikely to encounter rocks and patchy snow.
snow conditions
Perfect newer skis it is.
ski holidays
@Ldj226, with 100 underfoot I’m assuming your looking for off piste?
latest report
I do love offpiste but my 100mm is my standard all mountain ski that I ski on and offpiste skiing with. I’m with my dad, mum, wife and bro so probably more piste skiing this trip. Will have all my avalanche gear with me just incase the snow is on.
latest report
Wife is talking about giving skiing a go . She’s advanced snowboarder. I’m thinking not complete beginners ski lessons for her as she will have basics. Anyone else switched? Looking at skill in Saalbach and she would probably do blue rather than green which is complete beginners but not really sure.
latest report
The forecast seems to be settling down to a whole lot of sunshine for the next week+. Anybody know if there's any decent off piste to be had? Recommended spots would be welcome.
snow conditions
@Ldj226, there are ski routes that you can do without a guide, the freeride world tour goes to Fieberbrunn on 15 March https://www.freerideworldtour.com/event/2022-freeride-world-tour-fieberbrunn. Can’t be a bad recommendation for off piste!

In this thread you will find reference to guides for off piste, the https://www.spielberghaus.at/bergliebe/winter-in-saalbach is popular with freeriders, you can only get there using a ski route, the might be able to recommend guides you can use/book.

Lessons there is a recommendation a few pages back from Tatmanstours our local guru, we start with blue and there are some good learning slopes.
snow report
@tatmantours, the temps seem fairly cold during the day aswell at present, this is based on my barometer of the cam showing what’s melting at the Wildenhutte at top of schonleiten lift ! With no snow forecast, are they cranking the cannons up to top the pistes?
latest report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@tatmantours, the temps seem fairly cold during the day aswell at present, this is based on my barometer of the cam showing what’s melting at the Wildenhutte at top of schonleiten lift ! With no snow forecast, are they cranking the cannons up to top the pistes?

Don't see why they'd need to crank up the cannons - plenty of snow at the end of last week; more than my previous two trips to Saalbach. They may not be able to anyway - my instructor in Zell last week said that many cannons had already been put away, and there are legalities about dates after which they are allowed to use them
snow conditions
Ldj226 wrote:
Wife is talking about giving skiing a go . She’s advanced snowboarder. I’m thinking not complete beginners ski lessons for her as she will have basics. Anyone else switched? Looking at skill in Saalbach and she would probably do blue rather than green which is complete beginners but not really sure.

No greens in Austria.

Many Saalbach blues are light-reds, and many Saalbach reds are dark blues; what I mean is that there's not that much to distinguish many of the reds from blues. Not many flat blues.

Saalbach does have a small problem for boarders - the way it's designed leaves lots of cross mountain tracks to link between runs. Most runs go up and down alongside lifts, so if you want to travel along the mountain you have to take the "roads" which are generally wider than most blue run roads, but are pretty flat for boarders. hey, but she's thinking of skiing not boarding so what am I on about!?
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, I doubt that they’ll be switching on the snow cannons in March.
I went out this afternoon for the first time this week. Air temps were cold and the pistes hard packed. Being Fasching week lots of people, a few lift queues (for the first time this season), lots of kids, and lots of bad skiers. All should be back to normal next week.
snow conditions
@tatmantours, thanks, guess as I have visited Saalbach in January for nearly all of the last 10+ years I’m often used to seeing the cannons at work, but now I reflect on my last visit in the first week of Mar 2019 (just before Covid shut us down) can’t recall them then, but that said as I with wife and our 4 year old son , I wasn’t paying much attention to the normal stuff or skiing as much anyway!

Some catching up to do in Saalbach soon (no wife or son!) as went to Mayrhofen in Jan 19.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy