Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Should be fine to get it from the shop but I haven't bought one from a hire shop for a while....

The photo's are all digital now and they snap you at the pass offices. If in doubt, getting them from the pass office would be best.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Moose11, last time I bought a non-season pass with a need for a photo, the ticket office cashier just quickly took a photo of me over the counter, and that was incorporated in the pass. That was probably 15 years ago. These days they’ve got photos of me on file.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant. Thank you both very much for getting back to me, much appreciated.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going on 12th March, Any idea which bar would be the best to celebrate Paddy's day in?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi guys
I’m travelling to Saalbach on the 12th of March competent skier looking to join any ski groups or ski guides that might be available if any.
Travelling solo for the first time after years of going as a group / couple lol

I have skied the area and many other Austrian resorts couldn’t go another year with not sking since covid .

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks James

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 26-02-22 10:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm going on 12th March, Any idea which bar would be the best to celebrate Paddy's day in?

@Corky, on the basis that Spacey reckons he’ll be doing a gig in Ötzi Bar, I would say there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, Thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Corky wrote:

any in kilkenny or possibly killarney and at a pinch kinsale but as you will be in saalbach take your pick theres something for all tastes , ho ho
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@james.easom, The other bit of advice is to remove your e-mail address from your post, before you get spammed and spoofed to death.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@james.easom, I agree with @RobMcQ, as I mentioned in your other post it’s best to use the PM within Snowheads, it is in the top right hand corner ( send/receive messages)

Edit your post by using the scissors symbol next to your post.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@corky @james.easom, out of interest are you flying into Salzburg and if so from which uk airport?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Salzburg. 6am flight from Birmingham. Traveling with Crystal. Why do you ask?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Corky wrote:
Yes Salzburg. 6am flight from Birmingham. Traveling with Crystal. Why do you ask?

Not that many flights go into salzburg so just curious if I would be on same flight and also with your location being Birmingham didn’t realise flights came in from there, I was born in midlands and family still there

What a great flight time you have for potential slope time Saturday afternoon.

I’m 7am out of London city, my pal out of Manchester 8am, taxi booked for transfer so if all goes to plan we get a couple of hours on the snow piste, before the other piste!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Planning similar. Hoping to get a couple of hours skiing Saturday afternoon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@james.easom,
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@corky @james.easom, out of interest are you flying into Salzburg and if so from which uk airport?
snow report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:

@corky flying from Gatwick 7:10 flight to Salzburg hoping to get half day In if all goes well Cool
snow report
radar wrote:
@james.easom, I agree with @RobMcQ, as I mentioned in your other post it’s best to use the PM within Snowheads, it is in the top right hand corner ( send/receive messages)

Edit your post by using the scissors symbol next to your post.

@radar @RobMcQ Thanks all removed. New to this site Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

Hi guys
I’m travelling to Saalbach on the 12th of March competent skier looking to join any ski groups or ski guides that might be available if any.
Travelling solo for the first time after years of going as a group / couple lol

@james.easom, James, there are generally quite a few Brits of my acquaintance, including Snowheads, skiing around the Saalbach slopes. I don’t know who’s here during your week. Contact me again (suggest private message) nearer the time.
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, @Corky, @james.easom,I'm making assumptions about your knowledge but just in case, your lift pass is valid from 3pm on Saturday , including the night skiing in Hinterglemm and the sled runs. EDIT: the night slopes aren't open on a Saturday! Nights skiing on Monday, Wednesday and Friday until 9.30 pm

I would also recommend that you download the Saalbach app, handy for lift and piste openings and the Alpin card app handy for planning.

ski holidays
Interested in Freeriding the "Freeride Testival" is taking place in Saalbach / Fieberbrunn on 5 & 6 March, more on registration and the daily programme here https://freeride-testival.com/saalbach.htm it's in German
latest report
@radar, thanks yes aware of the 3pm. This will be my 10th year visiting Saalbach and at least half of those I’ve been twice a season.

Still trying to work out if I really like Saalbach !!!
ski holidays
Just arrived back in Hinterglemm, if anyone wants to ski, drink, chat etc send me a message. Very Happy
snow report
The secrets out! Just skied 168 to Hecherhutte for lunch, saw 4 other skiers 2 borders and 2 ski tourers- so crowded! Very Happy
ski holidays
We had a pair of skis and poles taken from outside the Hecherhutte on Friday. Our last run down of the week and had to arrange for a taxi to come up.

Now needing to sort out a claim for 250 EUR
snow report
This seems to be a problem around the ski circus! That’s why I always use a lock for skis and poles.
ski holidays
Crims get everywhere (especially when there is a road nearby), but I often wonder how often it’s down to stupidity.
As an example, I was skiing with a friend a couple of weeks ago, a delightful Irishman, whom I would describe as quite intelligent but inclined to be absent-minded. I watched as he removed my skis from a gondola, carried them to a flat spot, laid them on the ground, and actually put one of them on, before I finally intervened and asked him what he was doing.
My skis were a pair of very distinctive 174cm red/green/white Elan GSX Race skis, whereas his were a pair of around 165cm, plain maroon coloured Dynastar, very basic piste skis.
On another occasion a few years ago, I was skiing with him and he commented that his skis didn’t seem to be going as fast that day. I then noticed and pointed out that his skis were totally different from the ones he’d been using the previous day. It transpired that he’d accidentally taken a young girl’s skis from the ski room. They had similar colours, but were considerably shorter than the ones he’d hired.
I once saw a woman walking off with my poles outside the Bergeralm - I just happened to be watching. I went across and calmly took them from her. She just muttered something unintelligible.
I was once at the Bergeralm with some friends, when their teenage son (who is autistic and attends a special school) said that a girl had just skied off on his skis. One of the parents (both police officers and good skiers) skied off after the “thief” and caught up with her after about 1km. The girl protested her innocence, until it transpired that the boy had memorised the serial number on the skis. The girl’s brother then arrived on the scene, started arguing the toss, and then tried to ski off with one of the skis, only to be rugby tackled to the ground by the boy’s father. It all got quite exciting! By the way, all parties in this little drama were English.
A friend once found his skis to have been taken from outside the Hinterhag Alm. The following morning they were handed in at Saalbach police station. A similar thing happened on another occasion, and the skis were found halfway down the piste leading back to the village.
I have heard stories about gangs of Eastern Europeans turning up in vans and loading skis into the back and driving off - don’t know if that’s apocryphal.
I do remember a fellow Snowhead having his brand new skis stolen from outside the Hinterhag Alm. He’d split them and paired them with mine, but the thief had found one and gone looking for the other (clearly he wasn’t interested in mine, as they were both still there - at which I was both relieved and insulted).
Anyway, the bottom line is that I always lock mine with a cable lock - not enough to defeat a determined thief with wire cutters, but I’ve never had a problem, even when using expensive, brand new skis (touch wood!)
ski holidays
@TopGooner, that really sucks - must have ruined your last day, if not your memories of the holiday. I’m very surprised that it happened at the Hecherhuette. If it had been outside some roadside bar in one of the main villages at après-ski time, I wouldn’t have been so surprised (especially if they were nice skis, worth the best part of €1,000).
snow report
Thanks Richard, luckily we were on our way down to catch the bus and had decided that would be our last run of the week and the situation could have happened earlier in the week which would have been worse.

We rented through ALPIN / Hervis months ago and Hervis were fine but did take my 250 euros. It would have been nice if they just sorted it out directly with ALPIN as they knew I had paid for the ALPIN guarantee.

Taxi from the Hecherhutte to the bottom of the slope was 30 euros but Jarmila was lovey and sorted out my son and friend with beers while they waited for the taxi. I went down on skis with the other lads and we had a few flying hirsch shots in the nice cafe by the Zell Express. The taxi was later than the last ski bus, so it was a pain having to wait for the postbus but at least we were nicely tipsy Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some local apre knowledge needed, which bars are accessible by taxi and someone on crutches or in a wheelchair, toilets would need to be on the same level.

My thought
Spitzbub, street level one step to get in and the toilet is on the same level
Maisalm, accessible by taxi, toilets via the lift

Any others?
ski holidays
@radar, I think you’ve nailed it, George. Interesting question to think about though.
latest report
@tatmanstours, it’s a bit different!

What about the Soul House, could you enter from the road and go up, I recall it’s stairs but is there a lift?
ski holidays
@radar, I don't remember a lift. If there had been one, Mrs TT would certainly have used it, and I seem to remember having to pull her up the stairs.
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, what a picture Toofy Grin
latest report
I saw on snowHead that some places (not especially pointed at SB buit thought I would ask) are insisting / requesting cash as opposed to card. Whats it like aroung the huts?
snow conditions
@RetroBod, There are a couple of huts that are cash only, a few have a minimum spend usually 10 / 15 euros , the Hintermaisalm and the Winkleralm are both are still cash only, but most will take card, if you search this topic with "cash" you will get the previous discussions.
snow report
radar wrote:
Some local apre knowledge needed, which bars are accessible by taxi and someone on crutches or in a wheelchair, toilets would need to be on the same level.

My thought
Spitzbub, street level one step to get in and the toilet is on the same level
Maisalm, accessible by taxi, toilets via the lift

Any others?

@tatmanstours, Burgi's you could get in on crutches and the toilet is on the ground floor next door
latest report
@radar, I bow to your knowledge of Burgi’s toilet - never had the pleasure of visiting it (or evidently the need to).
snow report
@tatmanstours, so Mrs Radar informs me Laughing
latest report
Hi All,

found a good deal to saalbach for the 26th march, with aa flight to salzburg, anyone recommend a good shuttle trasnsfer? I cant seem to find coach transfer, unless im not looking at the right place....
snow report
@sn00boarder, unless anything’s changed as a result of the ending of pandemic restrictions, the Holiday Shuttle (most people’s first port of call if travelling alone or as a couple) is only operating private taxi transfers after 5th March. Which means that you have the other usual options: the public bus, the train, or a taxi (in order of cost).

The bus leaves from outside the airport terminal, takes just over 2 hours, and costs less than €20. You can search for departure times and fares on www.oebb.at

The train to Zell am See is regular and relatively inexpensive, but it does necessitate a short shuttle bus journey from the airport to Salzburg railway station (about 10 minutes and €2, when I last used it), and then either the public bus or a taxi from Zell am See station to Saalbach (taxi fare about €40). You can actually get off the train at Maishofen, which is one stop before Zell am See and a bit nearer to Saalbach, but it’s a quiet halt, so probably necessary to call for a taxi. Again you can search on the above mentioned website for times and fares.

Then there are the usual taxi operators, and there is plenty of information about them earlier in this thread. You could enquire here and on Facebook Ski Club if anyone is travelling on the same dates and looking to share a transfer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy