Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@enduroaid, as at@tatmanstours, states the hut is there selling liquid refreshments, they have seating and heaters, the guy who owns it is great. You can enjoy the sounds of people getting it wrong on the new cut through, though he does have music too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@enduroaid, it’s not generally that crowded or risky in Saalbach in late season, and the pistes are fairly wide. However I still shudder at memories of “Happy Valley” in St Anton, and also a certain narrow, mushy and congested piste in Val d’Isere.

It's the toxic masculinity factor at play, and from what I saw, lots of Dutch wannabee racers were the worst culprits. We skied at St Johann yesterday, where the vast majority of people on the mountain were Austrians, and I saw some of the highest standards of skiing and best behaviour of anywhere I've ever skied bar Scotland. Today we skied at Kitzbuel, and saw some of the worst. The red run down to the railway station was pretty scary at 4.45 pm, and the bumps in the last kilometre were carnage.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We love the new link because our ski locker is under the schattsburg lift. I smoothed it out nicely today by doing a massive snowplough all the way down. You can thank me later.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does the new link mean no walking across the bridge at the end of the day when skiing down the black??? If so my family gonna be very happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ldj226, the new link is from the Bernkogel to the Schattberg Xpress. It doesn’t affect the Schattberg black run or how you get across the road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ldj226, no, the link is from the bottom of Bernkogel to the Schattberg Express. The black run down Schattberg still stops at the bridge and you have to walk over it to cross the road
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ldj226, it’s on the other side, it avoids walking down through town to get to the Schattberg and the bus stop or Swips Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At least we all agree... wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wrong side, the new link is on the bernkogel side, basically a right turn above the soul house which when taken drops skiers at the car park for the schattberg xpress lift.

Basically it means easier links to the bottom end of the village and the bus station at the schattberg lift
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That makes more sense thought they had extended the piste over the road. Good if we finish that side of the mountain as would save a bit of time to the accommodation potentially
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi folks, please can someone confirm what requirements are re passenger locator form, is it still needed with some restrictions being scaled back on 5th March

I Have all 3 jabs and will get some ffp2 masks for mid March trip, have I missed anything else ?

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ribblevalleyblue, good discussion here on the entry requirements also what the validity of the booster is, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4937993#4937993

Only form is the return to the UK one
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has been posted before but any recommendations for ski hire in Saalbach. 6 of us going on 5th March mainly intermediate skiiers.

Thanks

Soulo
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Sorry if this has been posted before but any recommendations for ski hire in Saalbach. 6 of us going on 5th March mainly intermediate skiiers.

@soulo, I recommend you to go Hansi’s Best-Price, which is next door but one to Bobby’s Pub at the very bottom of the main village street.
Hansi speaks fluent English, his equipment is good, he is very experienced and friendly and will look after you very well. Also it’s his own business and he will be happy to price-match any other quote, AND he will give you an extra, special discount if you mention my name and tell him that I recommended you to go to him.
He will also offer you a welcome schnapps from his famous schnapps fountain on the bar in his shop.
I don’t get any commission or kick-back from the business I send to him, but he does do me some favours. I wouldn’t suggest his shop to you, unless the feedback had been generally excellent. All my family, friends and guests, who come to Saalbach regularly wouldn’t consider going anywhere else.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ribblevalleyblue, we came from the UK last Saturday. Nothing extra needed beyond the NHS covid pass showing 3 jabs. They even accepted my 18year Old's with 2 jabs, didn't even ask for her PCR which was annoying!
It's pretty relaxed here now. We haven't shown covid passes anywhere and mask use is about 30/70 with lots of shop staff not wearing them.
snow report
What an amazing day! We hung around the zwolferkogel and our boarders found lots of fresh snow to play in. Settled for beers at the Ellmaualm and husband announced he was never skiing in France again! It feels, low key and local but with top notch facilities everywhere we go.
Thanks to tatman and radar- I've been reading this thread for years and wanting to come to Saalbach and we are not disappointed!
ski holidays
@nem, that’s heartwarming to read. And you’ve probably only scratched the surface!
ski holidays
Only 2 days to go Sad
We have spent lots of time around leogang as well and have planned to head over to Fieberbrunn tomorrow.
We have skiied all over the Alps in Feb half terms but Saalbach is the least busy by far. No queues at all! Is it a bit quieter due to covid or pretty normal?
latest report
@nem, it’s probably better than many or most resorts, thanks to the size of the area, the number of access points, the number of gondolas (the most of any resort in the world), and the fast lift system (noted as fastest in the world years ago, when Saalbach received an award for “Best European Development”, and more fast lifts have been added since then).
However much depends on who is on half term holiday - Salzburgerland, Vienna, Bavaria, Netherlands...?
snow report
That makes sense.
snow report
Quote:

That makes sense.

Only because I gave the après a miss this evening wink
snow conditions
Very Happy
latest report
@nem, Like you, I've had Saaalbach on my must do list for a few years, after following these threads. I've persuaded our group to go and we're there in 10 days time for a week. I can't wait.

It's good to hear that you're having a great time despite what looks like some pretty mixed weather. Just leave some snow for us!
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, will the Hinterhag be shut for the rest of the season? What other options to you recommend for apres? 17 sleeps....
snow report
Quote:

@tatmanstours, will the Hinterhag be shut for the rest of the season? What other options to you recommend for apres? 17 sleeps...

@RetroBod, there’s been no sign or talk of it opening, although pandemic restrictions are ending on 05/03/22.
TBH I haven’t missed it, although others have mentioned that they have. There are other and varied options.

Up the mountain, après normally starts on the Kohlmais at the Bergeralm or the Panorama Alm. Then, just above the Hinterhag Alm, there is the new-look Maisalm, which has been proving to be popular. Then, at the bottom of slopes, there is a choice of three good bars: the Spitzbub, Burgi’s Bar, and Bauers Schialm.

It’s also worth investigating the Soul House at the bottom of the Bernkogel. They have a very good live band, and I’ve had favourable reports, although I haven’t been there myself.
snow report
@nem, know how you feel we discovered Saalbach thanks to @tatmanstours,
snow conditions
nem wrote:
What an amazing day! We hung around the zwolferkogel and our boarders found lots of fresh snow to play in. Settled for beers at the Ellmaualm and husband announced he was never skiing in France again! It feels, low key and local but with top notch facilities everywhere we go.
Thanks to tatman and radar- I've been reading this thread for years and wanting to come to Saalbach and we are not disappointed!

hubby has made one of the best decisions of his life along with a wife who decided to marry him who enjoys skiing fortunately my wife did the same and totally agree re austria in particular saalbach
snow conditions
I saw a good band in Soul House in March 2020 from around 5pm.
Played some great rocky covers including an amazing Bohemian Rhapsody.
The lead singer looked like Jurgen Klopp and had some great banter with the crowd.
If they are on this year it's worth a look.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not skied this area yet. Can anyone tell me if there is a group of ski-in mountain huts on the slopes (higher the better) that I could ski hut to hut like I can at the Dolomiti Superski area? I love the Dolomites but I'll be there in a week and the snow is sparse and I love off-piste skiing when possible. Thanks in advance.
latest report
Loving the sight on the cams this morning of the snow falling, ok it seems light and appears on the forecast to be stopping after tomorrow, but every little helps and the temps appear to be dropping a bit so hopefully cannons can blast to top it up nicely for my visit in 2 weeks!

@tatmantours or others there, please can you tell me what days spacey is on at Maisalm?

Starting to plan the itinerary around lunch and apres, chicken man already booked for day 1
latest report
Quote:

The lead singer looked like Jurgen Klopp and had some great banter with the crowd.

Sounds like Peter Thederan and his Swedish band, who used to play in Castello, as well as the Soul House.
latest report
Quote:

@tatmantours or others there, please can you tell me what days spacey is on at Maisalm?

@ribblevalleyblue, although Spacey did do a gig at the Maisalm a few weeks ago, it was a one-off private booking. However he tells me that he’s hoping to be gigging in the Ötzi Bar from 05/03/22 (when the restrictions end), and also St Patrick’s Day in Ötzi Bar.
snow report
Quote:

Sounds like Peter Thederan and his Swedish band, who used to play in Castello, as well as the Soul House.
snow conditions
@Alchemist, not that I’m aware of but check with the tourist office they are very helpful.

I do know that freeriders use the https://www.spielberghaus.at/en/mountain-love as the owners are into it
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, although Spacey did do a gig at the Maisalm a few weeks ago, it was a one-off private booking. However he tells me that he’s hoping to be gigging in the Ötzi Bar from 05/03/22 (when the restrictions end), and also St Patrick’s Day in Ötzi Bar.

That’s a shame about Spacey at Maisalm, but looking forward to trying it anyway in its new look, been one of my favourites in the past.

Is he still doing Spitzbub twice a week?
ski holidays
Quote:

Is he still doing Spitzbub twice a week?

@ribblevalleyblue, no, so far he’s been unable to get any work from Spitzbub. I think he’s just been able to keep his head above water with a bit of ski instructing.
ski holidays
Can I ask what’s the current state of play with getting a beer at the end of skiing in Austria?
snow report
Quote:

Can I ask what’s the current state of play with getting a beer at the end of skiing in Austria?

@Kramer, it’s pretty well business as normal. Bars currently have to close at midnight, but that restriction is being lifted on 05/03/22.
snow conditions
We never make it out past midnight anyway…
snow report
Hi
I normally buy a 6 day ski pass from hotel or hire shop but this year one of the mooses needs one for ten days. I see on the Alpin card website that a photo is required with ski passes for that duration. I was hoping someone here might be able to advise whether
a/ I need to buy it from ski lift ticket office as the photo is integrated into the ski pass or
b/ I buy the ski pass as normal but the moose just needs to bring photo ID (ie passport etc) on the slopes to prove their identity as the legitimate ski pass holder.
Thanks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy