Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@3offthetee, thanks for that Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Can anyone recommend their favourite runs they would recommend in Saalbach-Hinterglemm?

I like this kind of question. Obviously everyone will have their own favourites, but my own (based on many different factors, including length/width, scenery, views, nice gradient, mountain restaurants, lack of crowds) are:

Piste 168 (currently perfect, 7km long, and with the area’s best mountain restaurant halfway down)

206/205/202: the Asitz run at Leogang

212/211: the beautiful, forested Steinberg run at Leogang

121/121a: Reckmoos North (Fieberbrunn)

110a: lovely, long run through the forest at Fieberbrunn

105: very enjoyable red run, which really should be a blue, under the Doischberg gondola at Fieberbrunn

125: enjoyable when snow’s good and not too busy

31/30/36a: generally good snow, and not busy - finishing with the lower half of the World Cup downhill race course

There are many other shorter runs dotted around the area, which I enjoy and look forward to doing, and I can’t think of any that I make a point of avoiding (except possibly 2a in mild weather, late in the day, and when busy).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

gazzaredcruiser wrote:
a group of eight of us are arriving on 26th Feb, last time, ten years ago we stayed in Hinterglemm whch i loved. This time we're Saalbachstayign in the Gappmaier Hotel..........anyone stayed there? is it a good choice?

I've stayed in the Gappmaier a few times but not in the last 10 years or so.

Last summer the Hotel Gappmaier (which is at the bottom of the small Kreuzkapelle nursery slope, and centre view from the living room windows of my apartments, so I’m looking down at it) spent a small fortune on refurbishing and extending. The new rear extension houses a swimming pool and what looks like a sun lounge (which is odd, considering that it faces north). It looks more luxurious now and may well have gained a star (or half a star).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a reminder for anyone coming to Saalbach this season. My good friend, Hansi Oppeneiger, who runs his own ski/boot rental business (“Hansi’s Best-Price”, located next door but one to Bobby’s Pub, at the bottom of the main village street), will look after you very well, beat or match any price you may have been quoted, and give you an extra small discount for just telling him that I recommended him to you. Everyone who goes to him seems to be more than happy with his services (as well as his welcome schnapps).
I can also recommend some good ski instructors.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Super excited as back to Saalbach 2nd week March from Australia for first time since 2019 for obvious reasons. First have to learn the new numbers as my map is old and they have changed all the numbers. The question I have is how is the link and skiing to Zell? Is it worth it? We are only here 5 days this time but we ski a lot of mileage so will easy cover the resort. Is it worth popping over to Zell or does it not add too much as you need to get bus back?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ldj226, I went over to Zell last week and enjoyed it. Nice views of the lake, good skiing (to the bottom of the City Express), interesting lunch at the Pinzgauhütte.
Getting there is currently not only easy, but an absolute pleasure, as piste 168 is open and in great condition.
Coming back isn’t problematic. The bus from the Zell am See Xpress lift station to the Schönleitenbahn lift station runs every 10 minutes, and the ride takes only 8 minutes.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tatmanstours wrote:
@Ldj226, I went over to Zell last week and enjoyed it. Nice views of the lake, good skiing (to the bottom of the City Express)
we’ll definitely head over that sounds awesome.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of fresh snow today. Awesome! Bit worried that my weather forecast thinks it might rain soon though…
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
But, to contribute something useful, someone asked about the route X4 down from Zell to Viehhofen. We did it today and it’s absolutely fine, lovely track through the woods and enough snow all the way down. So don’t bother coming down in the gondola.

Ah yes that was me I think Very Happy

In the end, the group I was with opted for the bus all the way from Zell to Vorderglemm to maximise our time on the slopes, so X4 was a moot point in the end. Did the 21 yesterday though and it's a pretty nice run although a bit narrow and bowl-y in a few places.

TBH, found the Saalbach side to be a bit overcrowded and the pistes a bit lumpier than Zell, but doesn't help the weather was a lot different today.

168 was a nice run but the Hecherhutte wasn't open (or at least the one building we passed with 'Hecher Hof' written on it wasn't...), rather adding to the anticlimax. We did stop at the Montana Royal, which I know has attracted some criticism on here, and it was very good for a drink and snack. Even if the rotating suckling pig at the entrance was a bit blingy for my taste..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

168 was a nice run but the Hecherhutte wasn't open (or at least the one building we passed with 'Hecher Hof' written on it wasn't...), rather adding to the anticlimax.

@ratechaser, you must have skied straight past the Hecherhütte. The Hecherhof is a farm a few hundred yards below the Hecherhütte.
After coming down the long, wide main section of piste 168, you come to a road, which leads into the car park of the Hecherhütte. It seems that at that point you must have turned left and skied alongside the road, instead of turning right into the car park. The Hecherhütte would have been literally 30 yards to your right.

Yesterday Saalbach and Leogang was much more crowded than over the weekend, even though the weather was similar. I think loads of people must have come over from Zell wink

If they would only change or vary the unremitting diet of deep house music at the Montana, I think I’d use it more. So would other adults of my acquaintance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tatmanstours, damn!!

Mind you, we were quite late getting down the 168 so a leisurely lunch was out of the question anyway. Maybe we'll try again at the end of the week...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ratechaser, worth it for the food and the ambience. Tell the waitress, “Raduš” or the owner, Jarmila, that “Richard Tatman” recommended you to visit. You never know what my, and/or your, reward might be. Also the gulasch soup and the jagatee are without question the best available in the entire area.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're in S/H for a week from 5th March. Starting to get very excited. Very Happy

We're in an apartment and will probably cook 2 or 3 evenings, so we'll want some wine, white and red. I'd rather not break the bank, so wondering if any locals / regular visitors can recommend any wines at MPreis in the sub-€10 bracket? Closer to €5/€6 would be even better!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="tatmanstours"]
Quote:

Yesterday Saalbach and Leogang was much more crowded than over the weekend, even though the weather was similar. I think loads of people must have come over from Zell wink

If they would only change or vary the unremitting diet of deep house music at the Montana, I think I’d use it more. So would other adults of my acquaintance.

The Schmitten website is interesting - it shows what I assume is lift utlisation, currently at 16%. Is it a bit grey for them, are they all in S-H, or is the resort really that quiet... I will see in 4 days time!!

https://www.schmitten.at
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RobMcQ, Mpreis do a two for one offer make sure you buy two of the same bottles, you can get a decent Gruner Veltliner for your budget the moment they have Grüner Veltliner Mautern normaly 11.00 per bottle but if you buy two you get the extra one free, they also do a range of wines with a Donkey on the label which isn't bad they do both red and white.
ski holidays
@radar, Will look out for those, thanks.

Anybody got any other suggestions?
snow report
Evening! Chap in the lift today reckons everything will be closed tomorrow due to a storm that’s coming. What do you think, likely he’s right?
latest report
Re. Wine: Can’t go wrong with Veltliner or Zweigelt…
latest report
The wind does look pretty heavy, key will be finding the lifts which have a bit of shelter and can still operate, but they will be busy.
latest report
Quote:

I'd rather not break the bank, so wondering if any locals / regular visitors can recommend any wines at MPreis in the sub-€10 bracket? Closer to €5/€6 would be even better!

@RobMcQ, no doubt I’m a cheap skate, but I seldom pay more than €3 for a decent bottle, admittedly by taking advantage of the 2 for 1 offers and other deals.
The best shop for wine is Lidl, followed by Hofer, both in Zell am See. However I’ve managed to get some good ones from Billa in Saalbach. I don’t rate MPreis for wine.
You can get good Chilean, French, Spanish, and South African wines. The €1.99 Soave goes surprisingly well with a prawn stir fry. As well as Zweigelt and Grüner Veltliner, I like Blaufränkisch.
snow report
Re weather tomorrow, if it’s raining, or higher lifts are closed, I’ll stay put. If it’s not, I’ll be off to do piste 168 and go to the Hecherhütte for lunch. Simples!
ski holidays
Having skied till it hurt for two days running now perhaps a quiet day is not a bad thing Toofy Grin
latest report
Great day today - skied with Snowheads “Scarpa” and “Kooky” round Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm and Zwölferkogel, then to Leogang for a chicken lunch at the Hendl Fischerei, then to Bergeralm for happy hour, then skied down in the dark to Bauer’s Schi-Alm, then to Spitzbub for more Après, then to Bobby’s Pub for pizzas and more Weissbier. Saalbach is great!
snow report
@tatmanstours, I have a strong memory of a small piste side restaurant above a very aromatic cow shed, twas at least 12 years ago. Would this be have been the Hecherhof you mentioned earlier in this thread?
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, Impressive Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

I have a strong memory of a small piste side restaurant above a very aromatic cow shed, twas at least 12 years ago. Would this be have been the Hecherhof you mentioned earlier in this thread?

@RetroBod, no, the Hecherhof is a farm beside the lower part of the piste that leads down to Viehhofen (168). It isn’t a restaurant or open to the public. I don’t know which restaurant you’re referring to - can’t think of one that is above an aromatic cowshed.
snow conditions
has the hechterhut changed its booking system cos last time we got there all the tables where booked but mostly empty mindst it was yr 19. Still had a drink but they where still empty /reserved on leaving .The day had clouded over in the morning and folk hadnt turned up so reckon if you would like to eat then book, id rather not book as it restricts my day but the time we did get there for a late lunch it was good.
snow report
@tatmanstours, @Tiefschneetaucher, Thanks for the tips. Looks like we might need to check out Billa. We won't have a car, so I don't see us going to Zell am See for wine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski for fun, I’ve never to my recollection ever booked a table for lunch at the Hecherhütte, even when taking a group there, but I’ve never had a problem getting a table and partaking of my usual gulasch soup and jagatee.
ski holidays
@RobMcQ, there are two Mpreis in Saalbach, in town small with limited selection, second one towards Hinterglem larger and a wider selection, just depends on where you are staying , the larger one has a wide choice of pizzas too Very Happy
latest report
@radar, perhaps I’ve been unlucky or don’t visit it often enough, but I haven’t seen any really good deals on wine in the big MPreis. When I have taken advantage of deals, the wine has been passable but unremarkable.
snow report
@tatmanstours, think you have, they do one called Queen Lizzy which wasn’t bad, the gruner we have bought from there on the 2 4 1 have been good . The BP garage isn’t bad either Toofy Grin
snow report
@radar, We'll be up by the bigger Mpreis, so sounds like the better bet for wine. Good to know that it has a reasonable pizza selection too. That might be useful for a quick dinner for the kids on the nights we choose to eat in.
ski holidays
Be careful when shopping in MPreis. They show the price of an item if you buy two of them especially wines. So dont get caught out on just having one and wonder why the price is more expensive. They sell Yellow Tail merlot/Shiraz for 3.99 a bottle if you buy two. The same ones in the UK are usually £6.99
snow report
@RobMcQ, you haven’t gone and rented our apartment ?

They also do decent sandwiches if you want a picnic lunch, they have started doing ready meals, they are in the cool cupboard on the left as you walk in, they are quite good, cheesy sausages are also available we usually grab a pack or two to take home
snow conditions
@radar, Don't think so. We're in Glemm Lodge, across the road from the Mpreis. Seems to be owned by a German, unless he's just an agent.
ski holidays
@RobMcQ, they refurbished / rebuild it a couple of summers ago, looks nice, handy for the bus and MPreis.
snow conditions
Well skiing in the rain today was a first for my daughters. They weren’t impressed Laughing

Fingers crossed for some snowfall overnight!
snow report
@radar, Yeah, looks really nice and the proximity of bus stop and MPreis were definite plus points. Not sure how much use we'll get out of the piste that drops down there (86 I think?), as the recommended apres spots seem to be above Saalbach or Hinterglemm. How easy is it to get taxis in the evenings, to get into Saalbach and Hinterglemm, as it looks a bit far to walk?
ski holidays
@RobMcQ, yes 86 it’s nice, we use it when it’s open, it’s off piste for us as we go left, you should be able to take the end and it’s yards to your place, it’s never busy.

We sometimes ski back dump our gear and walk in, getting a taxi in Saalbach is easy, they hoover around Burgi’s as the Spitzbub and Bauer’s are there, if you are in town phone for one, taxi6620 is who we mainly use its around €15 to €18 and it’s always a minivan that will take 6 and skis.

For Hinterglemm same taxi company, we always go to Saalbach. The odd occasion we have been there never had a problem getting a taxi

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 17-02-22 16:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy