Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@moffatross, if you are looping round from Fieberbrunn you won’t be doing it late afternoon when it’s worst. If you are looping from Leogang you won’t be doing it at all. Access lifts up from both resorts can be busy at the bottom if you time it wrong.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@buchanan101, excellent, and that all makes sense. Roughly, when is peak pressure time on the lifts ? Leaving it until say 10.30 am start at Leogang or Fieberbrunn, is the morning rush hour mostly over ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@moffatross, I’ve only been at the bottom once in Leogang and timed arrival (from Saalbach - see it doesn’t take long) at about 10am and ran straight in to all the ski schools leaving and took almost half an hour. Was (U.K.) half term week though

Fieberbrunn has a couple of uplifts. One is a rather strange multi car gondola which doesn’t seem very efficient. Possibly always a queue?

Others can advise better - Tatman is the local expert. Me - I’d leave earlier than later.

Generally there are very few queues in the area - the bottom of Leogang and Fiberbrunn were the two places I hit significant queues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moffatross, If I where you I would get an early train to Fieberbrunn. The railway station is a good 45 minutes walk away from the lift (10 mins by taxi). Aim to get to the lift for morning start. Be aware that the link to Saalbach is often closed when the weather is bad/windy, choose a bright day Very Happy Then have a great day!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@buchanan101, @Yorksboy, more good intel, thanks. So, as early as possible then.

It's funny thinking about it now, but I spent a week at Saalbach a few years ago and genuinely didn't even think about where the connections outside of the circus really went. I do remember skiing vast distances via a very efficient and almost queueless lift system, with just the odd drag lift being a bottleneck from people falling off.

Haha at the multicar gondola. That's proper old skool lift infrastructure. Last time I used one of those was at La Grave Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well we’ve arrived. Got stung by Sixt at Munich airport who added another 300 Euros onto an already overpriced car… apparently not even the most basic insurance was included in the price they’d quoted me. I’ve hired many cars in my life and this has never happened before, basic insurance is always included, right? They always seem to find a new creative way to charge you an extra few hundred. So cross. Train next year!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyway back to the topic of the thread. Only had a couple of hours so skied on the Ansitz, had an excellent Gulasch at the Asitzbräu hut and found some nice fun park bits. The snow is so different to Obertauern in December, one of my daughters got quite cross with the cut up bits but she’ll get used to it! No queues anywhere.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a group of eight of us are arriving on 26th Feb, last time, ten years ago we stayed in Hinterglemm whch i loved. This time we're Saalbachstayign in the Gappmaier Hotel..........anyone stayed there? is it a good choice?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
also.....For sale
Return flight Gatwick to Salzburg
26/02/22 10.35am
easy jet EZY 8559
Return 05/03/22 10.45am
includes 23kg case and
ski and boot carriage
and extra leg room seat
cost £241
Looking for £120
thanks Gary
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just installed the 'OBB Scotty' app on my phone. It's very handy for Austrian bus and train timetables and journey planning.

https://www.oebb.at/en/fahrplan/fahrplanauskunft/scottymobil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So is the SBG Verkehr app, has a handy map for the transfer at Maishofen on to the Saalbach bus ,
Might be handy for anyone arriving after the 5th

You can buy tickets through it as well
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
radar wrote:
So is the SBG Verkehr app, has a handy map for the transfer at Maishofen on to the Saalbach bus ,
Might be handy for anyone arriving after the 5th

You can buy tickets through it as well

Awesome. Installed. Thanks very much Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There gondala queues at Fieberbrunn have been ok this week, might have had to wait 3 minutes...

Heading to Saalbach I don't use the red, Multicar gondala but, instead use the yellow one (with seats). You then offload at the top, ski down the blue run on your right to pick up the chairlift.
Keep left down the slope after the chairlift to get to the gondala to Hinterglemm.
The Fieb chairlift occasionally has had a bit of a queue but if you go around the right hand side there is a single-person access lane which gets you straight on.
Using the red gondala you get off and then have to take another gondala, then ski down (red) to the same point as the chairlift takes you - I think this takes more time than using the yellow gondala.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guys we arrive on 12th March around lunchtime. Due to early flight arrival we will get use of the lift pass from 3pm on arrival day. We are staying in hinterglemm. Does is the night skiing open on Saturdays?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@riman8,
Operating times:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday until 9.30 pm

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/floodlit-slopes_a_1690
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:
There gondala queues at Fieberbrunn have been ok this week, might have had to wait 3 minutes...

Ahhh ... happy days Very Happy And thanks for the lift rundown. When we visit the Circus, I reckon we'll be bussing it rather than taking train as both are free to St Johann tourist tax payers as far as Fieberbrunn, and the bus drops outside the lift station rather than the 45 minute walk from railway station mentioned earlier in the thread. Return via Leogang is quite appealing though.

I also see that Kitzbuel has a connection to SkiWelt, and the mini-marathon journey from there via the lift and piste network to Ellmau for a return bus looks like it should be fun too.
latest report
Tiefschneetaucher wrote:
Well we’ve arrived. Got stung by Sixt at Munich airport who added another 300 Euros onto an already overpriced car… apparently not even the most basic insurance was included in the price they’d quoted me. I’ve hired many cars in my life and this has never happened before, basic insurance is always included, right? They always seem to find a new creative way to charge you an extra few hundred. So cross. Train next year!
For future reference never buy extra insurance from car rental companies because its a complete rip off. Instead use someone like https://www.carhireexcess.com before you go.
snow conditions
@stodge, exactly. Will cost about £30 for a week and about double that for an annual policy (from memory) Insurance from a rental company is something like £25+ a day. (I have an annual excess policy bundled with my annual travel insurance policy)
snow report
Back on the subject of Saalbach-Hinterglemm, it's my first visit there in a couple of weeks (we normally go to France). We are intermediate skiers, comfortable on red runs. Can anyone recommend their favourite runs they would recommend in Saalbach-Hinterglemm? We're staying in Hinterglemm.
snow conditions
@stodge, in Hinterglemm there are I think two of the best runs in the main valley - the main runs down from the top of the two gondolas - I think red 6 (yellow gondola) and red 12 (new gondola). Both long full drops after one lift ride. Both with good non - southerly aspect. Red 6 I’ve seen in an article about favourite runs.
snow report
@stodge, You got me thinking I’ve never really thought about it, more which area we enjoy on a particular day, I can recommend you pm @tatmanstours, and ask for his guide to the ski circus.

In no particular order these are some we enjoy,
2a from the Schattberg best in the morning, have a coffee when you get to the bottom
35 from the top of the Zwolferkogel, you enter as if starting the black 36, not the longest but enjoyable
212 and 211 down into Leogang
121 and 109 in Fieberbrunn, on 121 take the black not the red road round it, it’s very short and you won’t realise you’ve done it.
85 off the Reiterkogel and do lunch at Reiteralm, share a portion of Kaasknocken and Keiserschram
168 if it’s open, lunch at the Hecherhütte then the bus back to the Schönleitenbahn

The runs mentioned by buchanan101 are good , there is also 40 at the end of the valley which is a challenging red.
latest report
Thanks @buchanan101 and @radar, much appreciated - very much looking forward to trying them all out!
snow report
@radar, isn’t that red 14 not red 40? Used to be a black? A good way to cross the west end of the valley with lifts directly up the south facing side
latest report
@buchanan101, it used to be black changed about 4 years ago, you can do a bit of black off the top 40a and there is a short bit at the bottom, the road round the side can get chewed up.

@stodge, buchanan101 made me look at the map, the runs mention in his/her post red 6 is red 8 and 8a in my head I made 12, 30 and 37

latest report
I must have been looking at an old map! I meant red 35, though there are a load of options down that run including the World Cup run (the black). All those runs you’ve ringed are good -long and good aspect.
snow conditions
The area at the far end of the valley - Reichendkopf was almost deserted compared with the middle (main?) Hinterglemm area yesterday.
snow conditions
Hi. Booked to stay in Kaprun the week after next (it was the only package that we could find at short notice...)

Just glad to be getting out skiing.

Was wondering what people with local knowledge would suggest as the best areas to go skiing? There are three of us, all pretty reasonable skiers.

I'm guessing keep the skiing at Kaprun for sunny days only, and probably only a single trip, and head across to Zell and possibly Saalbach on the other days? Ski bus goes from outside the hotel door, so are we better to get across via the Zell lift system or get it all the way into Saalbach in the morning?
ski holidays
@Kramer, I’ve been told that the bus from Zell to Saalbach is about 30mins - so will save time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Kramer, a week gives you plenty of time to ski all of the areas on the local pass, including Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn. Getting the bus to Saalbach means changing buses at Zell. Time wise, there’s little difference between getting the bus all the way, or skiing over via the Schmittenhohe. I’d be tempted to ski back via the Schmittenhohe, as there are some good stops on the way down.
The Kitzsteinhorn is a great shout for a sunny day, or a day when it’s rainy at valley level. Quieter runs can be found on the extreme right and extreme left, as you look at the piste map.
The Maiskogel is very underrated and offers good skiing on reds and blues. It can be beautifully quiet most mornings, because people head straight up to the Kitzsteinhorn first thing and ski back via the Maiskogel in the afternoon. We tend to do the opposite, skiing Maiskogel in the morning and heading up to the Kitzsteinhorn just before noon, as skiers disappear into the restaurants.
The Schmittenhohe can get busy (for good reason), but the red Sonnen area is generally quieter, as are the three decent black runs. For some reason the excellent slope down to the City Express in Zell has been very quiet of late.
Plenty of decent bars and restaurants in Kaprun. The Ice Bär on Maiskogel is one of our après-ski go to’s.
snow report
Thanks both.
ski holidays
@Kramer, more info on Zell and Kaprun https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBZellamsee/?ref=share
latest report
@radar, ta.
latest report
How hard is it to get back to Kaprun if we end the day in Saalbach or one of the other resorts?
snow conditions
@Kramer, postbus to Zell, then postbus to Kaprun. Entirely possible, but I'd check the times in advance. Taxi from Zell is also an option, as it's not too far from that point.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
How hard is it to get back to Kaprun if we end the day in Saalbach or one of the other resorts?

Takes about an hour by PostBus from Saalbach to Kaprun via Zell am See. Last bus is at 18:30. Costs about €7 . Download the ÖBB app for timetables etc.
latest report
The crazy thing is that we do have car hire excess insurance! But Sixt told us that we’d be liable for absolutely everything - full cost of the car - not even the most basic accident and theft insurance was included. So there wasn’t even an excess if that makes sense. Just full on - if something happens to the car, you buy a new one. I’ve never seen a hire contract like that before so I obviously hadn’t looked out for that issue in the small print. Well, (expensive) lesson learned.
snow conditions
But, to contribute something useful, someone asked about the route X4 down from Zell to Viehhofen. We did it today and it’s absolutely fine, lovely track through the woods and enough snow all the way down. So don’t bother coming down in the gondola.
ski holidays
Favourite red piste so far was the 125 from Reiterkogel towards Fieberbrunn. Lovely snow and not busy.

Another tip; Husband picked up some mask clips that you attach to the helmet - 5 Euros for a pair in the ski shop in Zell but I’m sure they sell them everywhere. He’s much happier now.
latest report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
a group of eight of us are arriving on 26th Feb, last time, ten years ago we stayed in Hinterglemm whch i loved. This time we're Saalbachstayign in the Gappmaier Hotel..........anyone stayed there? is it a good choice?

I've stayed in the Gappmaier a few times but not in the last 10 years or so.

Was very decent when were there, about 300 yards up the road to the Schattberg Gondola or if its still there, a little tow from the back of the Hotel up to the Kohlmais Gondola.

Definately time for a trip back to Saalbach, a lot have changed since my last trip about 6 years ago.
snow report
gazzaredcruiser wrote:

I've stayed in the Gappmaier a few times but not in the last 10 years or so.

Was very decent when were there, about 300 yards up the road to the Schattberg Gondola or if its still there, a little tow from the back of the Hotel up to the Kohlmais Gondola.

Definately time for a trip back to Saalbach, a lot have changed since my last trip about 6 years ago.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy