Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
ousekjarr wrote:
paddy2190 wrote:
How easy is it to get to the Kaprun glacier from Saalbach with the new lifts now/is it worth it? Sounds like most of the area will be open in late march but just in case the snow isn't the best and fancy some higher altitude stuff..

Well, if you are staying in Saalbach you could ski across to the Schonleitenbahn and over to Polten then down the famous run 168 to join the lift up to Zell. Or if the reason you're asking is because the snow conditions may be poor, assume that 168 is closed and you have to take the regular ski bus. Then up into the Zell area, down the length of the Areitbahn, onto another bus to the Maiskogel slope at the entrance to Kaprun, onto the gondola to the glacier, and you've arrived - about 90 minutes after you've set off. If the conditions aren't great, assume that 25% of the people in the Glemmtal have done the same, and expect it to be busy.

Until the end of March you're unlikely to have problems finding good conditions in the Saalbach area. However, if the weather is warm you may have to choose wisely and cope with some sketchy conditions on the way, e.g. the runs down into Leogang are north facing and likely to be good, but to get there you have to traverse the south facing slopes above Saalbach which will be soft on the way out, and carnage on the way back. Alternatively, head up Schattberg and then stay in the area around Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel on the Hinterglemm end. If the conditions are marginal, avoid Hochalm, Reiterkogel, Bernkogel and Kohlmais unless you like your snow in liquid form between the waist-deep moguls.

That said, you could also get lucky and have fresh powder with cold conditions and overcast skies to keep the pistes in a good state.

Thanks for this, yes we've been lucky enough to ski the 168 in January and stop at the Hecherhutte at the end of the day. The snow was a bit mixed and 'muddy' at the bottom but a fantastic run overall. Appreciate the tips and areas to avoid if it's warm. Depending on the snow we may not bother with the glacier but if it's doable in 90mins it may be enjoyable just to experience it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Just a couple of things - any recommendations for local ski lessons?

@paddy2190, I’ll send you a P.M. (I’m in contact with some good local instructors).

Quote:

How easy is it to get to the Kaprun glacier from Saalbach with the new lifts now/is it worth it? Sounds like most of the area will be open in late march but just in case the snow isn't the best and fancy some higher altitude stuff..

Quote:

Until the end of March you're unlikely to have problems finding good conditions in the Saalbach area. However, if the weather is warm you may have to choose wisely and cope with some sketchy conditions on the way, e.g. the runs down into Leogang are north facing and likely to be good, but to get there you have to traverse the south facing slopes above Saalbach which will be soft on the way out, and carnage on the way back. Alternatively, head up Schattberg and then stay in the area around Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel on the Hinterglemm end. If the conditions are marginal, avoid Hochalm, Reiterkogel, Bernkogel and Kohlmais unless you like your snow in liquid form between the waist-deep moguls.

FWIW the conditions around the middle of March have been very good in recent years: cold temperatures, no crowds and the pistes have held up well, even on the south-facing side.
I agree that, in late season warm weather, the best snow is generally to be found on the north- and west-facing slopes of Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Schattberg and Zwölferkogel. However the conditions on the south-facing slopes tend to be okay (or even excellent) in the mornings. In the afternoons much depends on your attitude - to me it’s all skiing, and slush/moguls present an opportunity to practise and improve. Of course anyone who doesn’t agree with that philosophy can minimise their skiing on say the return journey from Leogang or Fieberbrunn by downloading on gondolas from mid-station (Schönleitenbahn, Kohlmaisbahn, and Bernkogelbahn).
Personally (and I can also speak for all my friends and family, who range from intermediate to competent skiers), we generally don’t find it necessary to download on gondolas - it really isn’t that bad. And, if you call at one of the mountain restaurants for a while, the snow starts to crisp up again in the late afternoon.
I agree that you could get to Kaprun on skis within a couple of hours; however I don’t know anyone who’s considered it worthwhile to do so during March. My visits to the glacier have been in April and October.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coming back from Zell to Saalbach do you have to get a bus?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading out to Saalbach on 05/03 and have a couple of questions for the locals / recent visitors;

1. When we buy lift passes, do we need everyone there to verify covid vaccination status, or can I go along with the paperwork and buy for everyone, while they do other things?
2. Following the recommendation of @tatmanstours, I'm planning to use Hansi's for ski hire for my daughter. Anyone know if they are open Saturday lunchtime / early afternoon? (We should arrive in Saalbach about 13:00, so keen to collect her skis pdq and use the free option to ski from 15:00 if possible.)

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
P.S. So far this season piste 168 has been open for only one day - after last weekend’s snowfall. There is no base on it, so even a foot of snow seems to get scraped off it towards the bottom. But I’m hoping it might open again after this coming weekend’s predicted dump. The Hecherhütte is without doubt my favourite mountain restaurant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scoman wrote:
Coming back from Zell to Saalbach do you have to get a bus?

I've got a trip to Saalbach and one to Zell this winter and planning to bring the group we are in Zell with over to Saalbach for a day and my understanding is you can use the Zell am See Express both ways (and then you need a bus from the gondola to get back into the Saalbach lift system).

So as long as you make sure you don't miss the last lift down from Zell to Saalbach only a short bus ride needed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TomBH, the ski bus from the Zell am See Xpress bottom station to the Schönleitenbahn lift station runs every ten minutes and takes eight minutes. The Schönleitenbahn closes at 4.00pm, so as long as you make it for then, it’s one good long ski down to Saalbach from the top of the Wildenkarkogel.
If you miss the last gondola, you just change to the Saalbach ski bus and it’s a few minutes ride to the Schattberg Xpress lift station, or wherever you might want to disembark.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@scoman, yes, see my reply to @TomBH above
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RobMcQ, I would have thought that each person will have to show their Covid pass in order to buy a lift ticket - but I don’t know.

Yes, Hansi will certainly be open all day on Saturday - it’s obviously a busy day for him.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@RobMcQ, yes, everyone will need to show their own documentation. While I've not been asked for photo ID to go with it, that's supposed to be part of the check. As you'll be at the lift anyway on day 1, it's a 45 second transaction for each person to buy their own, or if you have kids to buy for, they'll be with you anyway. If you have bought your pass in advance, it can be activated online by uploading an image of the QR code for many/most resorts
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Just a couple of things - any recommendations for local ski lessons?

@paddy2190, I’ll send you a P.M. (I’m in contact with some good local instructors).

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW the conditions around the middle of March have been very good in recent years: cold temperatures, no crowds and the pistes have held up well, even on the south-facing side.
I agree that, in late season warm weather, the best snow is generally to be found on the north- and west-facing slopes of Leogang, Fieberbrunn, Schattberg and Zwölferkogel. However the conditions on the south-facing slopes tend to be okay (or even excellent) in the mornings. In the afternoons much depends on your attitude - to me it’s all skiing, and slush/moguls present an opportunity to practise and improve. Of course anyone who doesn’t agree with that philosophy can minimise their skiing on say the return journey from Leogang or Fieberbrunn by downloading on gondolas from mid-station (Schönleitenbahn, Kohlmaisbahn, and Bernkogelbahn).
Personally (and I can also speak for all my friends and family, who range from intermediate to competent skiers), we generally don’t find it necessary to download on gondolas - it really isn’t that bad. And, if you call at one of the mountain restaurants for a while, the snow starts to crisp up again in the late afternoon.
I agree that you could get to Kaprun on skis within a couple of hours; however I don’t know anyone who’s considered it worthwhile to do so during March. My visits to the glacier have been in April and October.

Great thanks, yes we're happy to ski in any conditions especially coming from Scotland! Sounds like there will be decent coverage at least anyway - downloading is always a last resort!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, @ousekjarr, Many thanks. Sounds like both bits should be pretty stress free.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@scoman, yes, see my reply to @TomBH above

Many thanks for the response.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure how I missed this thread but...

Heading to Zell for half term, self-arranged for once so could anyone give me any pointers on:

1) Quietest time of day to get lift passes sorted (we are staying in the town centre, so presumably from CityXpress?)

2) Recommendations for town centre ski hire - 4 of us, all intermediate. Not simply looking for cheapest but decent equipment, service and not too much of a scrum! Also if worth booking in advance or if it's all the same just to turn up and sort out...

3) Any issues with hiring a locker at CityXpress on the day, or are they in limited supply?

Not been to Zell for 5 years, so looking forward to trying the easier route to Saalbach. And hoping that I can still get some low key apres in!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RobMcQ, we just got our passes from the hotel. It saved going through all the PCR/Vax checks again. Same price and no hassles
ski holidays
I’d always pre book skis and lockers. Saves time and hassle on the day. Spoke to ski shop in Hinterglemm yesterday and was told the lockers can actually sell out so why risk it?
snow report
@Tiefschneetaucher, I'm not sure there's actually an online option to prebook a locker at CityXpress. We'll be in early - likely before noon, so am hoping we can beat the rush. Maybe even get on the slopes for an hour as I believe passes work from 3pm the day before they are due to start...

Like the idea of hotels sorting out passes, will have to see if ours does that...
ski holidays
@ratechaser, alternatively buy an extra day on the lift pass. It’s 26 or 29 euros more for 7 rather than 6 (I looked today but can’t remember exact number). In 3 weeks we should be in by about noon as well. I will probably buy a 7 day pass.

Yes the passes for the next day work from 3

My hotel Alpin Sport says they do passes.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, yeah, our hotel will as well. But although we'll be in at noon, there will be checking in, unpacking, ski hire, and no doubt demands for food. So really no chance of getting on the slopes much before 3 anyway. I'll save my euros in this instance...
ski holidays
@boabski, Thanks, but we're in an apartment, so will need to sort ourselves out.
snow conditions
Do any snowHeads know if there's anyone offering baby sitting at self-catered apartments in Saalbach/Hinterglemm? We're 3 families and might fancy one or two nights where we leave the kids in front of a film and head out for drinks and dinner. The kids are 10-12, so a bit young to be left on their own for that long.
snow conditions
The ski shop we’re using didn’t seem to have an option for booking lockers online but when I called them they talked me through it - it was hidden somewhere under ski reservations. May be worth checking? We plan to start skiing as soon as we arrive so we’ll buy a pass for arrival day. Husband always moans about the cost but it’s clearly essential Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@ratechaser, theres a GB ski club FB page for Zell, quite a few locals on there and a very good ski rep Nikki, who’s always helpful
snow conditions
If you are thinking of going to the ski circus or if you want a reminder of what yiu are missing
http://youtube.com/v/2H0FB52Ay9k
ski holidays
@RobMcQ, have you tried the Tourist Office, they are pretty helpful, email or WhatsApp them.
latest report
Thanks for the video, those blacks look fun. But, number 8? On my piste map the black under the Schattberg Xpress is number 1? Or am I missing something…
ski holidays
@Tiefschneetaucher, the worldcup run is 36 and 36a, the red 35 of it is good as well, the black under the Shattberg is 1b, red10a is challenging and the black bit at the end interesting!
snow report
Arrive tomorrow - looks like plenty of snow due mid week and then at the moment a couple of clearer days at the end of the week.

Bags just about packed and entry rules read and then re read 100 times to convince myself we are good to go!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tiefschneetaucher, you may have an old piste map - when Fieberbrunn and then Zell were added to the area the runs were renumbered. See https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/piste-map - there's a storm across the valley at the moment, so many of the higher lifts are closed currently. This is pretty unusual.

Though when you say black 8, I'm confused - 8 is a red run on the Westgipfel, not a black, and not under the Schattberg Express lift.
ski holidays
@ousekjarr, Are there likely to be lifts closed for the rest of the weekend? Tomorrow and Sunday look a bit more settled snowfall wise but still quite windy
snow conditions
@Manning18, take a look at https://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/saalbach-hinterglemm/prognose/4-tage#weatherDetail

The wind is forecast to drop later today, and to be more moderate throughout the weekend. Still breezy, but probably not enough to close the lifts like this morning. But I'm not a meteorologist...
snow conditions
@TomBH, @Manning18, some recommendations for you download

Alipn Card app allow notifications, you will get notifications of the lift closures, you can use it for planning, it’s interesting at times!

Saalbach Hinterglemm app, it has live maps of which runs and lifts are open and restaurants

Lift times are here, https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/operating-hours

Make sure you have your latest covid QR code in Apple wallet or Google pay, or a screen shot, maybe a paper copy if your phone runs out of juice.

The Alpin app is always on for location, could impact you phone battery

Enjoy
snow conditions
@radar, Thanks I've got the S-H app and will take a look at the other one too.

QR code is currently downloaded on the phone, several paper copies and a laminated credit card size version!

Having made myself keep my excitement in check I'm now starting to believe that come Sunday morning (maybe tomorrow PM if everything were perfectly) I'll be on the slopes!
snow report
@radar,
Quote:

red10a is challenging and the black bit at the end interesting!

You made me get my piste map out! I think you may be referring to “red 40”?
snow report
@ousekjarr, @radar, Thanks guys. We only have 3 days in saalbach from tomorrow so its all in or bust!
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, you are right! Got that one wrong and we did it last week!

@Tiefschneetaucher, didn’t mean 10!
snow report
Thanks! Got it. The girl in the video gets off the gondola on Schattberg West and then goes on the 8, and I’ve now found it on the map. If all’s well and nobody here catches Covid then we’ll be skiing those runs in two weeks’ time Very Happy
snow report
Seems like some high winds and stormy weather are predicted for this area from Wednesday. Does anyone know the likelihood of lifts staying open in Saalbach
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
P.S. So far this season piste 168 has been open for only one day - after last weekend’s snowfall. There is no base on it, so even a foot of snow seems to get scraped off it towards the bottom. But I’m hoping it might open again after this coming weekend’s predicted dump. The Hecherhütte is without doubt my favourite mountain restaurant.

I just realised that 168 is the long blue that means we can get back to Zell without needing a bus... ugh! Are there no snow cannons towards the bottom then?

And as I'm always on the lookout for a nice pit stop for lunch, what is it that makes the Hecherhutte special?
snow conditions
@Tiefschneetaucher, depending on where you are staying and your appetite for buses, the terrace at the Bergstadl opposite the lift midstation on Westgipfel is an excellent place to finish your day. It catches the last light of the sunset over the Zwolferkogel in February, and then you can ski down deserted pistes into town either straight down to the bottom of the U-bahn, or across to the Bergfriedlift which is near the bus stop if you have to get back to Saalbach.

Red 8 can be a lovely run down, but there is a narrow part about 3/4 of the way down the top half which can become almost like a halfpipe full of moguls when it gets very rutted. In warmer weather and at busy times, approach it slowly and all will be well. On cold or quiet days, it's a straight schuss
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy