Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@TopGooner, speaking for Saalbach, there is generally a good, lively atmosphere at the Bergeralm (happy hour, buy one get one free on all alcoholic drinks 3.30-4.30pm), and from what I hear also at the Panorama Alm. These are mountain huts, so there is a ski down afterwards. Near the bottom you have the newly revamped Maisalm, which is proving popular.
Then at the bottom, you have Burgi’s Bar, Bauer’s Schialm, and the Spitzbub - the last one being the one that we use, and that I would particularly recommend. Personally I never reserve a table anywhere.
For later evening, after dinner, you might get to squeeze in an hour before all the bars are required to close at 10.00pm. There is a lively atmosphere with live music in the Underbar and the Off-piste Bar. And the Ötzi Bar is often lively, and will be starting live music on some evenings in February.
Bobby’s Pub is sometimes busy and sometimes quiet, but it offers good, cheap food, ten-pin bowling, music, and televised sport.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're a hero!! Thanks very much
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours

Is spacey strutting his stuff in Spitzpub in his usual style despite the restrictions?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, Do you know if hotel bars also have to close at 10pm? Bit of a bug if they do,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ribblevalleyblue, no, Spitzbub is being very cautious about the supposed ban on après-ski musical entertainment - although it’s busy and pretty normal, with loud music - but no Spacey show (for some reason and at least for now). I suppose that, as customers are supposed to be seated, there is limited scope for Spacey drawing in more customers from elsewhere.
However, Spacey told me that he will be strutting his stuff in the Ötzi Bar from February.
And most bar owners - certainly the Underbar and the Off-Piste Bar (as well as the Ötzi Bar) are interpreting the regulations as permitting live music.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Corky, I haven’t been in any to find out, but I would have thought that they would be under the same restrictions as any other bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks. It's seven weeks until I go so, hopefully, things may have chang8ed by then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Corky

my friends were in Saalbach last week stopping in Art Kristiania and their friends in Eva Alm and in both they were made to leave the hotel bar at 10pm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ribblevalleyblue, OK. Thank
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TopGooner, @Corky, just to add to Tamantours comment, be sure to have your QR code with you at all times, some mountain huts have a person checking on entrance, others will as you to check in, using a QR code on the table or menu, I forgot my phone and my paper printout one evening and was asked to leave at the Eva Alm however a couple of days later they didn't bother, Burgi and Spitzbub will ask to see it didn't go to Bauer’s Schialm but imagine they will be the same

Eating out in restaurants was more consistent and in each restaurant we were asked to show it or check in, fortunately when Mrs Radar forgot her phone I had a copy of her 3rd jab QR code, they were about to ask us to leave.

All establishments close at 22.00, restaurants close their kitchens at 20.30 or 21.00.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Week tomorrow we are due to arrive and planning is underway.

We were in Saalbach for the first time in March 2020 and had a pretty chilled week with friends cruising around on blues. Just me and Mrs BH this time and we are keen for a bit more skiing.

We are both competent (Mrs BH boards and is the better of us two) on blues and most reds but stay away from blacks. Are there any stay away from reds that are the more difficult end? Piste 40 could be tough - north facing and I might form part of the WC run.

Equally any easier reds while we get our snow legs back?

Also keen to get over to Leogang and wondering if I'll need to book a table at the snowhead famous huts on that side? I'm used to just deciding to stop when I'm hungry!

See you soon Saalbach!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TomBH, the only mountain restaurant where anyone bothers to book a table is the Hendl Fischerei (“Chicken Man” to those of us who know its prehistory) at Leogang.
The only red that, if I were at your level, I might hesitate to go down is number 40, which used to be a black. However there are a couple of red bypasses round the steepest sections, and it’s certainly within the capabilities of intermediate skiers.
It’s difficult to give specific advice, as so much depends on the conditions. In good conditions you would probably find some of the short blacks enjoyable and not unduly challenging, whereas in bad conditions piste 2a (a blue) is notoriously arduous for intermediate skiers.
You might consider doing the anti-clockwise circuit of the main valley (Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm, Zwölferkogel, Schattberg, Kohlmais), which takes about three hours at a moderate pace and doesn’t involve anything particularly challenging (piste 2a may sometimes be a pain in the neck, but at least it’s graded blue). That would give you a good overview of what’s available in the main valley, as well as a sense of achievement and of having travelled. And you can easily bail out early if you’ve had enough and catch the ski bus back to Saalbach from Hochalm, or the Zwölferkogelbahn, or the Schönleitenbahn, or download from Schattberg Ost on the Schattberg Xpress.
Leogang is a no-brainer for you, and don’t discount Fieberbrunn, which has the advantage of allowing you to bypass any runs you don’t fancy, by using the gondolas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@tatmanstours,

Thanks for all of this and your guide, which I've been restudying this week. We did 2a in 2020 early on a bluebird day and it was great. As you say an afternoon perhaps less so.

Thanks for the advice on 40 - I suspect we will use the gondola that runs up it at some point so we can check it out and see if we fancy it.

The chicken man is the restaurant I'm keen to try - noted on booking. Leogang looks excellent and means going via 2a on a morning!

Will give that route you suggest a go. We are known to find an area we like and stay there for a couple of hours before disappearing into a hut for coffee/lunch/beer depending on the time of day!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH

Leogang is my go to area, the Hendl Fischerei an absolute must, as was it in the ‘chicken man’ era, albeit talk about 2 different places, but the chicken no different (except price!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to the relaxation in the travel rules looks as if our booked early march trip is getting closer to actually happening , halleluja!!. Having missed last year ( no go) and the year before ( switched to schladming en route re covid) can t wait to return to saalbach as much for the ambience/apres as the skiing .Both of which for me are without doubt the best to be had or weve ever had, whatever your tastes in what for most of us is a holiday experience im hoping we will be able to enjoy again. There are so many options that im sure our likes will be catered for even allowing for some places and venues not being the same due to the covid effect . Though I would miss mrs burgi offering us zwei bier und zwei shnapps as we fall up the steps into her bar on our arrival , so can someone confirm all well there?as for the hinterhag im getting the vibe that that it will not reopen in the same mode ever again . ah well que sera sera
snow conditions
@ski for fun

My friends said Burgis packed every time and they struggled to get in, all table service by Mattias and his mum doing the bar as usual

Get in early it seems.

Hinterhag closed.

Sure Mr Tatman and other locals can give more comprehensive view
ski holidays
@ski for fun, @ribblevalleyblue, Burgi’s is a favourite and Mrs Burgi was in fine form, they haven’t taken on any extra staff, so it’s just the two of them, it’s all tables they will squeeze you on to a table where they can, the layout has changed a bit new long tables so they can get more bodies in, they will hold tables.

It starts to build up from about 5.
latest report
Between the Bergeralm, the new-look Maisalm, Burgi’s and the Spitzbub, there’s certainly enough early evening après for me. Don’t know whether the Hinterhag will return after the pandemic has finished, but can manage quite well without it in the meantime. It’s not been as good anyway since Josef Solar left and went to Winter Wonderland.
snow report
radar wrote:
@TopGooner, @Corky, just to add to Tamantours comment, be sure to have your QR code with you at all times, some mountain huts have a person checking on entrance, others will as you to check in, using a QR code on the table or menu, I forgot my phone and my paper printout one evening and was asked to leave at the Eva Alm however a couple of days later they didn't bother, Burgi and Spitzbub will ask to see it didn't go to Bauer’s Schialm but imagine they will be the same

Eating out in restaurants was more consistent and in each restaurant we were asked to show it or check in, fortunately when Mrs Radar forgot her phone I had a copy of her 3rd jab QR code, they were about to ask us to leave.

All establishments close at 22.00, restaurants close their kitchens at 20.30 or 21.00.

Is it 3rd Jab they require for bars or will 2g + test suffice do you know? Thanks

We're heading along shortly and can't wait. The infamous 2b/2a is best tackled in the morning so? Keen to give the longest run a try, my OH is a slightly nervy third week skier so torn between the fact its graded blue as a positive and its reputation!
ski holidays
@Manning18, Austria is operating 2G (double jabbed or recovered) for restaurants & bars (and accommodation).
ski holidays
@Manning18, you find lots of answers on this thread and its a good place to ask the question https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4914508#4914508.

2a was fabulous !

We all had our boosters and they wanted to see that QR code.
snow conditions
conor256 wrote:
is there any night skiing in Saalbach at the moment?

Open again https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/floodlit-slopes_a_1690
snow report
good if quick area overview from Marlene
snow conditions
Transfers in March this year. Info for anyone looking at shared transfer and a late season trip.

As restrictions ease a bit I am looking at coming out in March and just discovered that the Holiday-Shuttle.at transfer service stops operating shared transfers on 5th March. Quite surprised that even with the situation we are in that there isn’t enough demand to provide some service.

They only offer private at €190 for 4 people each way with 5% off for return.

Best quote I have is a taxi firm salzburgtaxi.eu at €163 for 3 people, (€171 for 4)

I know some swear by the train/bus, however removes any hope of skiing on the first day
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, that's interesting we are going out mid March, will use the bus via Maishofen, it takes about 2.15 you can get the details on the SBG or OBB app, both apps will give you train connections as well.

The bus is the 260 from the airport connecting with the 680 at Maishofen , first bus is at 0647 from the airport , next is 0847, or you can do bus, train,bus 0655 takes 3 hours.
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, you are right, I make a poi t of earliest flight, taxi, latest flight back and usually get an extra 3/4 to full days worth. It just feels like better value to me with more slope time. €171 for four looks like really good price to me.
snow report
I’ve paid about £380 return for a minibus for 6 from Salzburg airport. Not bad money if you can get it
snow conditions
@ribblevalleyblue, several on this site have used https://austria-taxi.at/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, yes seen that before and people giving good recommendations and I have got a quote several times, but it’s never beaten salzburgtaxi.eu

Just checked austria-taxi-at now and they are €183 each way v €163 for the date I want
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, I’m not totally surprised that Holiday-Shuttle are stopping after the half term , when we went out (first week of Jan) it was just the two of us and when my daughter came out just after us it was her and one other both ways, when we went back last Friday there were 3 additional passengers, two from Zell and one from Leogang.

With the easing of restrictions you would have thought they would carry on.
snow report
@radar, there was a time when the shuttle had a virtual monopoly and was also the cheapest option (excluding public transport). I get the impression that it’s now being undercut by other taxi firms.
ski holidays
I’ve booked a private transfer for four adults in mid March but I had to book a minibus (for up to 8 ) which was more expensive than the four seat taxi.

This was because sites were saying they could only take three passengers because they can’t use the front seat because of covid19?

Not sure if this is true or not, maybe I should rebook just a normal taxi?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 25-01-22 21:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
That smiley with sun glasses was supposed to be the number eight?

Smiley Cool now edited

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 25-01-22 21:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yes, you can turn off smiley interpretation when posting to avoid this - if you edit the post it can be corrected. The smiley code for the shades face is an eight followed by a bracket - simply put a space after the 8
snow report
@tatmanstours, the private transfer seems to have risen, on the occasion when the three of us traveled together it was 20 or so euro more to have a private transfer than the regular shuttle service.

Demand is playing a part in the early termination of the service, on Friday our flight was at 15.15, there were a total of three departing flights showing on the monitors and both on arrival and departure at Salzburg the airport was like a ghost town, on Friday only the take away / coffee shop was open.
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, I booked a two-way scheduled transfer from Holiday-Shuttle travelling on 12th and 19th of March. The booking was done in late November. Credit card debited, got a booking confirmation etc. Haven’t received any notice on transfer being cancelled, but you’re right, as I now look at the online booking system all dates after the 5th show no availability.

Is there anyone who’s booked through them in March-April - got any message from them?
latest report
Hi, staying in Saalbach for the first time 3rd week of March with crystal.
We've Previously been to Zell am see and got the bus to Saalbach/ski circus and had great time there for the day (pre Zell am See express) in Jan 2017 (awesome snow!)

Just a couple of things - any recommendations for local ski lessons? - my wife is a confident intermediate but wishes to have maybe a couple of small group lessons to improve technique but doesn't want a full 3-5 days of lessons as crystal advertise.

How easy is it to get to the Kaprun glacier from Saalbach with the new lifts now/is it worth it? Sounds like most of the area will be open in late march but just in case the snow isn't the best and fancy some higher altitude stuff..

Thanks!
ski holidays
Ravensburger wrote:
@ribblevalleyblue, I booked a two-way scheduled transfer from Holiday-Shuttle travelling on 12th and 19th of March. The booking was done in late November. Credit card debited, got a booking confirmation etc. Haven’t received any notice on transfer being cancelled, but you’re right, as I now look at the online booking system all dates after the 5th show no availability.

Is there anyone who’s booked through them in March-April - got any message from them?

Contacted them through the online form and got a swift reply:

Hello Ravensburger,

thank you for your mail. Yes, you´re right, in the meantime we´ve decided to offer our scheduled shuttle only until 5.3. But for all those who have booked by the end of march, the booking will of course remain valid and the shuttles will of course run.

That’s a relief…
snow conditions
@ravensburger, that’s good news for you.

Surprised they don’t look at their system and offer up same times as pre booked people like yourself.

I asked for the same dates, but it was a response of not running beyond the 5th, but we can offer a private.

Appreciate they will make more on private, but they will be getting nothing from me as they are more expensive than others
latest report
paddy2190 wrote:
How easy is it to get to the Kaprun glacier from Saalbach with the new lifts now/is it worth it? Sounds like most of the area will be open in late march but just in case the snow isn't the best and fancy some higher altitude stuff..

Well, if you are staying in Saalbach you could ski across to the Schonleitenbahn and over to Polten then down the famous run 168 to join the lift up to Zell. Or if the reason you're asking is because the snow conditions may be poor, assume that 168 is closed and you have to take the regular ski bus. Then up into the Zell area, down the length of the Areitbahn, onto another bus to the Maiskogel slope at the entrance to Kaprun, onto the gondola to the glacier, and you've arrived - about 90 minutes after you've set off. If the conditions aren't great, assume that 25% of the people in the Glemmtal have done the same, and expect it to be busy.

Until the end of March you're unlikely to have problems finding good conditions in the Saalbach area. However, if the weather is warm you may have to choose wisely and cope with some sketchy conditions on the way, e.g. the runs down into Leogang are north facing and likely to be good, but to get there you have to traverse the south facing slopes above Saalbach which will be soft on the way out, and carnage on the way back. Alternatively, head up Schattberg and then stay in the area around Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel on the Hinterglemm end. If the conditions are marginal, avoid Hochalm, Reiterkogel, Bernkogel and Kohlmais unless you like your snow in liquid form between the waist-deep moguls.

That said, you could also get lucky and have fresh powder with cold conditions and overcast skies to keep the pistes in a good state.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy