Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2021/22 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@turms2, taxi's are inexpensive, so don't worry about it just do it! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've gone ahead and booked the Linzerhaus, it's free cancellation and no payment until the end of December, so I can always change it around if needs be.

Google maps suggests a 20 minute walk to Hinterglemm and 30 minute to Saalbach, so that's always an option too for evening meals.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swskier, yes, the Linzerhaus is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. I’ve always had the personal opinion that location is, as ever, all-important, when choosing accommodation in Saalbach-Hinterglemm.
Much of the accommodation is strung out along the valley, which is not exactly ideal, but at least doable, as long as you don’t mind being reliant on buses and taxis.
It is far better to be located in the upper part of the village, either slopeside, or at least a short walk from the Kohlmaisbahn, or the Bernkogelbahn.
Focusing on Saalbach (which most people prefer to Hinterglemm), if you stay down by the main road, you are likely to avoid slogging up through the village, by using the Schattberg Xpress gondola (which you wouldn’t necessarily want to have to do every day), or catching ski buses to the Schönleitenbahn, Zwölferkogelbahn and/or Hochalmbahn.
At the end of the skiing day, you will face a few dilemmas that can be avoided by staying in the upper part of the village, such as whether to come down the Schattberg North black run, so as to be closer to your accommodation, the ski bus stop, or the taxi rank. Or whether to linger on the “sunny side”, where most of the après-ski action can be found, and then face a walk down through the village, to get a bus, or take a taxi from Schiliftstrasse.
And then later in the evening you’re likely to have the dilemma of whether to call a taxi, or have a long walk to and from your accommodation.
As I say, it’s all unnecessary hassle if you choose your accommodation wisely. I spend all season in Saalbach and can count on one hand the number of times I walk for more than 50 yards in ski boots, or catch ski buses (except to get between the villages quickly, with a deadline to meet). In 15 years I have caught the 680 bus maybe once or twice. And there is plenty of accommodation within 100 yards or so of both of the gondola stations mentioned above.
In Hinterglemm you could stay near the Reiterkogelbahn, the Westgipfelbahn, the Unterschwarzachbahn, or the Zwölferkogelbahn, but the ski bus doesn’t go through the centre of the village (it passes through a bypass tunnel), and the village is somewhat more spread out than Saalbach, which I suspect would entail more walking, unless you want to use the same gondola every day.
There is accommodation at Hochalm and Jausern/Vorderglemm, but these are isolated outposts at either end of the valley. Okay for accessing the skiing, but not the facilities and atmosphere of the main villages.
My thoughts will not be shared by everyone. I’m sure that people have enjoyed their holidays in less convenient locations. To some extent I’m influenced by the convenience of having apartments that are just across the road from the Kohlmaisbahn, and a stone’s throw from the village. However I do also listen to the comments of friends and acquaintances, who often say they wish they were staying in a more central and convenient location.
If however you do book accommodation down by the main valley road (bus route), the timetable of the 680 bus is on the Saalbach website, and it’s downloadable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tatmanstours, appreciate the response, and agree location isn't ideal at the Linzerhaus. I'd rather be in a more central location, but there's not much available even remotely close in price.

Looking at €1.3/1.4k minimum for a place central in Saalbach via the tourist office website. Likewise booking.com you're looking at £1.4k, where as the Linzerhaus is £730! Have found a reasonably priced apartment on Vrbo at a similar cost to the Linzerhaus that's in Casa Alpina on Florianiweg, so might book that instead, as it's a much better looking location.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@swskier, the Linzerhaus is in a position which provides a compromise between cost and location. It can provide an entirely satisfactory holiday as long as you are OK with either a bus or a walk in the morning to get to the lifts, and with a longer walk or a taxi to get back from an evening meal out.

The ski bus stop is outside the Hotel Austria on the main road. From here, the bus can drop you at the entrance to Hinterglemm before the tunnel (not by a lift - 75m to the Bergfriedlift T-bar), or at the bottom of the road to the Zwolferkogel (150 metre walk to the gondola), or at the base of the Hochalmbahn. If you want to use the Reiterkogelbahn, then you have to walk through town.

In the opposite direction, you can get the bus to the Schattberg Xpress or Schonleitenbahn. If you want to use the Bernkogelbahn, or Kohlmais lifts, you need to walk up through Saalbach anyway.

If I was staying there, I would use the Mitteregg lift in the morning, which is about a 300m walk away, or take the bus to Hochalm if you want to be on the other side of the valley. At the end of the day, I would either get the bus back from wherever you end up, or take the access blue runs from Westgipfel to get back to the Mitteregg lift, or if coming back from the sunny side there's a skiway down from Sunliner to the back end of the Hotel Theresia which then is a 500m walk back to the Linzerhaus or 1-2 stops on the bus.

If you decided to finish in the centre of either village, have some apres beers and then eat a meal and get a taxi back, you wouldn't be the only people in ski gear at that time. If however you must have a shower before heading out again, then you have to accept that the location isn't the most convenient. A taxi back from Hinterglemm or Saalbach will be about €10-15 in total and there are always taxis waiting in the centre of Hinterglemm and Saalbach. Almost all of them are VW buses, capable of carrying 7 people plus ski kit. I'd build that into your plan, unless you feel you benefit from stretching your legs after a long day. The walk into and back from Hinterglemm is just about flat, but the walk to Saalbach is slightly downhill on the way there, and rises gradually on the way back.

If you didn't fancy the hassle of going that far, you can eat at Hotel Austria next door, or at Hotel Theresia towards Hinterglemm, or at the Barbarahof towards Saalbach.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swskier, I may be able to help you; I‘ll send you a P.M.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,

Any guidance on finding self catered accommodation in Saalbach (or Hinterglemm) for 14 people... ideally a large chalet style... understand this might be difficult given it's more of a France thing. Had a look at the tourist board but seems to be a struggle to find anything in Saalbach itself.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pa1641, not sure if self catered for that many in a single unit exists, I do know someone who manages a number of rental properties who might be able to help, will DM you his details.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pa1641, Brain wasn’t full in gear ! https://www.blackriverlodge.at/en/
It’s not in a bad location pretty close to the bus stops and refurbished about 5 years ago.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just booked my flights for January 21st 2023, another 6 friends already have accommodation and flights sorted, can’t wait for @tatmantours to start the 2022/2023 official/unofficial thread
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ribblevalleyblue, as we’re in the throes of the summer tourist season, I suggest that the autumn might be the best time to initiate a new thread for the forthcoming ski season.
Congratulations on getting things sorted though Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll be in Hinterglemm for a week in January then in Zell for a week in March. Does anyone know if you can buy a 12/13 day pass that can cover that wide period and if this is cheaper than getting 2x6 day passes?
Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boabski wrote:
I'll be in Hinterglemm for a week in January then in Zell for a week in March. Does anyone know if you can buy a 12/13 day pass that can cover that wide period and if this is cheaper than getting 2x6 day passes?
Thanks in advance

I did this exact trip this year and unless something has changed you will need to buy two separate six day passes as the 12 day pass is consecutive days. You are I suspect 3 or 4 days off a season pass being cheaper so if you can do a third week or long weekend you might want to consider that.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH, thanks. Sadly I'd struggle to get more skiing in Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boabski, The lift pass prices are published on Saalbach.com, so you can price them up and see how the season pass (bought at the special discounted, pre-season price) compares with the normal weekly/6 day passes.
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Thanks in advance

I’m not sure if a Salzburg Superski any 10 days in the season pass, augmented by a two/three day pass would be any cheaper, as next year’s prices don’t seem to have been published yet.
snow report
@Austrian Seagull, yeah. Had a look yesterday and still on last season's prices. Think it looks like a 2x6 day pass option will be slightly cheaper
snow conditions
@boabski, The season pass is better value once you get into your third week. At the moment I'll be in Hinterglemm for a week from 10th December, two weeks from 7th January and a week from 28th February.
These plans might change as Ive just found out that I need shoulder surgery following my dislocation in March (this was midway through my 2 week trip). Im determined not to miss out and will ski in a sling if I have to Toofy Grin
snow report
Lucky you, apart from the operation obviously Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Have stayed in Saalbach several times in different hotels. Four of us booked to go back to Das Neuhaus on 14 th Jan for a week next winter. Using Crystal ski.
They have now informed us that they have no longer got a contract with that hotel and have offered Die Sonne as a replacement including all inclusive.
Has anyone stayed at Die Sonne any comments etc. We like après-ski beers in usual places till 6 30 pm ish but are a bit past being later evening revellers
ski holidays
@Richard Farndale, our place is opposite the Die Sonne, they offer transport to and from the lifts in Hinterglemm and Saalbach they have at least 2 mini buses, which run regularly in the morning and on demand in the afternoon and later, they spent quite a bit of money on the hotel in the last few years and it has a good reputation, good wellness area, it's about 20 minute walk to the Eva Alm and 15 to Del Rossi.

They do pick up from Burgi and Spitzbub Very Happy

Pity you didn't post last week I could have popped over and taken pictures
ski holidays
Thanks radar the mini bus service sounds like it’s a big plus especially in morning. Gives a choice of starting point .
snow report
@Richard Farndale, I have stayed at Hotel Sonne quite a few times. Excellent accommodation, great food and nice bar area to enjoy the all inclusive after dinner! However have not stayed for about 4/5 years.

Yes a little out of town, but easily walkable. They did do transfers to the lifts and back, however as I recall back then the last was around 6 and my apres ski lasts longer than that, so rarely got the lift back, either walked or taxi ( well worth it if a group of you)
ski holidays
@Richard Farndale, a cab back from town is €18, never a problem getting one
ski holidays
Thanks guys Taxi back to Die Sonne sounds like a good bet after beers in Bauers or Hinterhagalm, if it reopens next season hopefully.
snow conditions
Can anyone help @Gow87, who is looking for somewhere in Hinterglemm for a quite drink, I thought of Liemers or the Glemtalerhof , anywhere else?
ski holidays
Hexenhauser is nice from memory. Actually INSIDE the Schwarztacher is quiet, outside definitely not. Adler Resort bar is quiet but not worth the journey from main st. There will be others but we tend to look for the noisy ones Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Just arrived At Salzburg for a week in Saalbach, hoping the weather holds for most days, or mornings at least Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours any suggestions / recommendations for some gentle activities (health prevents challenging or long walks unfortunately) or good lunchtime restaurants or cake shops ? Happy to get on the bus to Zell or Kaprun or other nearby places . Ta
snow conditions
@sev112, Just in case @tatmanstours does not see your post, you can always send him a PM
snow conditions
Thanks @albob Smile
snow report
@sev112, at the end of the Glemmtal it's worth a trip to Lindlingalm for both the bridge and the treetop walk if you are OK with climbing up stairs and don't have any issues with heights - see https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/golden-gate-treetop-trail_a_1713

Going the other way, Mosshammer in the centre of Zell is a lovely cake shop on a plaza in the centre of the town, next to the old tower. Strangely it gets very mixed reviews on most platforms, either really good, or really negative - not sure why, as we've always had good experiences there. Earn your cake with a leisurely walk along the shores of the lake, or take a boat trip first.

Kaprun has a good spa - expensive, but it is huge and worth it. See https://www.tauernspakaprun.com/en/spa-water-world

If you are OK walking along the peaks, you can take short walks from the open lifts without necessarily having to cope with a huge vertical range. Alternatively, try an e-bike - recommended for those who can provide limited power themselves.
snow report
@sev112, I’ve replied to your personal message (before reading this recent sequence of posts).
ski holidays
Currently on my way back to Saalbach (after three months back in Brexitland). Looking forward to getting my lederhosen on again.
Spacey is apparently doing a gig at Hotel Post on Monday evening.
Will start the 2022/23 thread shortly.
latest report
@sev112, I’ve replied to your personal message (before reading this recent sequence of posts).
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
Currently on my way back to Saalbach (after three months back in Brexitland). Looking forward to getting my lederhosen on again.

Excellent news. Pleased to have my trip to Saalbach booked for for early March. Third in four years - might be hooked.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:

Excellent news! I can only myself to start getting excited about the winter season when you officially open the thread! Very Happy
snow report
The ticket prices for the season are live Very Happy , haven't looked at how they compare to last year.

Planned operating times winter 2022/23*
Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
02.12.2022 planned start of season
08.12.2022 until 10.04.2023 lift operation with ski connections between Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn
11.04.2023 until 16.04.2023 lift operation in Leogang
snow conditions
Thanks to @tatmanstours for advice this week. Had a very good week here, peaceful because school kids are not here, but lots of places in town not open. Rain last couple of days but managed walks up and down the valley when we had an hour or so’s respite at lunchtimes. Envious that it’s a lazy summer trip rather than an energetic winter trip looking at all the pistes due to health, but maybe again sometime in the future.
latest report
@sev112, glad you had a good time, despite the onset of autumn and things closing down.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy