Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free SCGB membership with Sunweb hols

Poster: A snowHead
Roll up, roll up.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/ski-club-gb

Sign up with direct debit only. Then forget you have it. Then it auto-renews after one year!

Sounds like they have found a way to increase membership after all wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A tour operator promotes another tour operator. Genius Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One might challenge the assertion of "worth" £70.....

And if memberships are being given away like candy with cheap packages why should an existing member bother renewing or a potentially consider joining?

DD a dirty trick - it's the way of the commercial world but if SCGB genuinely a members' club surely its value would be self evident to members without catching them out on the "forgot to cancel" trick?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just cancel the dd as soon as its drawn on rather than leave it in place. (Wish I always listened to my own advice)

Also this will swell the coffers!

“Members will be subject to a £1 admin fee when processing the membership”
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can hear David Goldsmith booking a Sunweb holiday as I type Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This looks nice in Tignes for the week 4th-11th Dec, for instance Toofy Grin

Nice hotel, half board, lift pass included. £750.

https://www.sunweb.co.uk/ski/france/tignes-val-disere/tignes/hotel-village-montana?Participants%5B0%5D%5B0%5D=1991-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B1%5D=1991-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B2%5D=1991-03-20&Participants%5B0%5D%5B3%5D=1991-03-20&Duration%5B0%5D=8&Mealplan=HP&Month=2021-12-01&TransportType=SelfDrive&Allocation=2
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
I can hear David Goldsmith booking a Sunweb holiday as I type Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing
@boredsurfin, you're a very naughty boy! Madeye-Smiley

It does make for some amusing speculation though. Dependant on the details of the arrangement between SCGB and Sunweb are the SCGB contractually bound to provide membership to anyone who books a Sunweb holdiday? Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 10-09-21 12:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin wrote:
I can hear David Goldsmith booking a Sunweb holiday as I type Toofy Grin

Oh yes, I do hope he does precisely that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hope that pools heated!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Alternatively, you could do the PSB and pay £200 less to not get SCGB membership. Win, win!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As always, the proof of the pudding in in the eating through swaff of Ts & Cs... which is fun....

If you book your family, you only get a standard, single membership, so only one of you can benefit.

There's a £1 admin fee so you have to hand over those auto renew codes - and they will auto renew you for £70 or whatever next season. And its not quite an insta-trap, Sunweb just give you a redeem code to use on the SCGB website, so you do actually have to go there and use it within 7 days... Its only valid for trips bought between September and October. Can you feel the generosity just dripping off this?

Also says SCGB membership rules apply so the "NO DAVES!" rule is still in effect.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
adithorp wrote:
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Alternatively, you could do the PSB and pay £200 less to not get SCGB membership. Win, win!

Indeed. I was thinking along the lines of the Premier Party at ~£2k (Excl. lift pass). You could use the spare grand to buy your new club chums a small vin rouge.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Klamm Franzer, To be fair, SCGB give you over 3 weeks notice before taking the next DD. Just had mine for next year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
...To be fair, SCGB give you over 3 weeks notice before taking the next DD. Just had mine for next year.
Of course if the price changed, then they'd have to give you 10 days notice as per the Direct Debit Guarantee.

To be fair, can you remind us also how good their refunds were during the Covid lockdown? wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, Yes, I believe they were commended for refunding the Freshtracks Holidays very quickly. As to the subs, I could have stopped them easily, I chose not to, just as I did with my other club subscriptions.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Can you feel the generosity just dripping off this?
It really is rubbish when you look at it more closely.

chocksaway wrote:
@philwig, Yes, I believe they were commended for refunding the Freshtracks Holidays very quickly. As to the subs, I could have stopped them easily, I chose not to, just as I did with my other club subscriptions.

Legally they had to refund the holidays unless the customer accepted a rebooking. Doing something you are meant to do anyway isn't exactly commendable.

The issue with subs is that other clubs (certainly the ones I belong to) acknowledged that members didn't get use of their subs and offered a solution of some kind without having to be asked, either refunds, part refunds, suspension of DDs etc etc. No, the Ski Club have ignored the issue, hoping it'll go away, meantime accepting furlough money and rate rebates and leaning hard on the landlord. I doubt anyone was expecting full refunds but a gesture would have been the right thing to do, show at least that they had Members' interests at heart. People tend not to voice loud complaints over these things, they just take their ball and go home - the membership numbers will tell the story when they come out. Meanwhile keep splashing the cash to creep up to journalists and industry types and do some more pointless market research. I'm sure you've had the email:

Quote:
Win a £300 Snow+Rock voucher with the September 'State of the Snowsports Market' survey brought to you by the Ski Club of Great Britain, Snow+Rock and the Mountain Trade Network.

Simply by completing this survey you can be entered into the draw to win this amazing prize of a £300 voucher to spend with snowsports experts Snow+Rock in any of their UK stores or online at snowandrock.com

This important piece of research provides insight into the needs, wants and behaviour of skiers and snowboarders globally. Your responses will help the industry provide the best products, experience and services to help you enjoy snowsports in the future as these unprecedented times end across the globe.

Firstly, how much more effin research do they need when they never seem to act on previous research? Why does a UK-based ski club need 'global' research? And thirdly, I thought the new GM was severing ties with his Mountain Trade Network thingy?
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
...... Firstly, how much more effin research do they need when they never seem to act on previous research? Why does a UK-based ski club need 'global' research? And thirdly, I thought the new GM was severing ties with his Mountain Trade Network thingy?
<laughs> You couldn't make it up.

@chocksaway is impressed that they didn't break the law on Direct Debits or holiday refunds. Soon he'll be bragging about how much money they made by taking subscriptions and delivering nothing, which is the worst business plan I've ever heard. It may take people a while to notice they were fleeced, but treating your customers badly costs business in the medium term.

If the fact that members money's been laundered through your man's own little company doesn't ring alarm bells, it should.
ski holidays
Quote:

I thought the new GM was severing ties with his Mountain Trade Network thingy?

Come along old boy, you scratch my back, I'll have a lackey suck your balls.
It's just business.
latest report
@philwig, Where did I say I was impressed? I didn't, I just presented the facts. I won't be bragging, you clearly don't like the Club, but don'tmake things up about me and drag my reputation down to fuel your judgements. You may be playing to the gallery on here, but your responses expose your motivations.

As to legally required to provide refunds, Yes they were. But on the snowheads good guys and bad guys thread, they were complimented for the speed that they processed this. I have my own pad so couldn't give two hoots.
snow conditions
We had to fight tooth and nail to get our Covid refund from Sunweb, eventually having to resort to CC chargeback - which they appealed and lost.

So not minded to book with them again in a hurry Sad

After 30+ years will not be renewing my SC membership this year either.

Just sayin'
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
... Where did I say I was impressed? I didn't, I just presented the facts.
... [1] To be fair, SCGB give you over 3 weeks notice before taking the next DD. Just had mine for next year.
... [2] I believe they were commended for refunding the Freshtracks Holidays very quickly.

Methinks you doth complain too much.
Those are your two statements.
I pointed out that both are obviously simply legal requirements: they had no choice.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

@chocksaway is impressed that they didn't break the law on Direct Debits or holiday refunds. Soon he'll be bragging about how much money they made by taking subscriptions and delivering nothing, which is the worst business plan I've ever heard. It may take people a while to notice they were fleeced, but treating your customers badly costs business in the medium term.

That is the paragraph I am complaining about.

By making things up and suggesting what someone might say without any evidence is an oft used internet tool to undermine someone else's opinion by denigration. Generally it suggests that the poster is intolerant to information contrary to their often blinkered viewpoint.

If you believe I am complaining too much then you clearly are not interested in reasonable debate. The apres zone is toxic enough on this site with its intolerance, now it is spreading to the main site, it is likely to drive away yet more users.
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
We had to fight tooth and nail to get our Covid refund from Sunweb, eventually having to resort to CC chargeback - which they appealed and lost.

So not minded to book with them again in a hurry  Sad

Just sayin'

There you have it neatly illustrated, the hapless management and Council of a club (that sells holidays for a living) getting into bed with a bucket & spade tour op (a competitor) in a desperate attempt to somehow increase memberships to make up for the fact 30+ year loyal members are jumping ship. Is it really easier to fudge the giving away of free memberships to people who won't remain members rather than keep happy the people who loyally coughed up subs every year for decades? 

It is glaringly obvious that the Club needs rebuilding from the ground up, starting with making the membership attractive to the hundreds of thousands of UK skiers out there. Meanwhile, more market research is seen as the way forward rolling eyes
latest report
@chocksaway, +1. People should post their own opinions, not what they have decided other people's opinions will be.
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:

So not minded to book with them again in a hurry Sad

Just sayin'

Sorry to hear that – what bad service. Out of interest, on what basis we’re you claiming a refund? Was the hotel closed? Flights cancelled? Or you could not enter the country etc. ? Thanks snowHead
snow report
Covid prevented entry to Austria - Sunweb's T&C's at the time unequivocally stated that we were due a refund, as did the law, but they tried to fob us off with a somewhat bizarrely named "corona voucher", which was not acceptable to us. Lots of others in the same situation if you check out Trustpilot etc. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sunweb.co.uk

Wry amusement I had when I saw that afford they could to sponsor a TDF team later in the year Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Conversely if you want to buy a SCGB Freshtracks holiday it is compulsory to pay for SCGB membership if you are not already a member

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 13-09-21 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@On the rocks, is it or it is. Which one?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@halfhand, typo corrected, thanks
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Covid prevented entry to Austria - Sunweb's T&C's at the time unequivocally stated that we were due a refund, as did the law, but they tried to fob us off with a somewhat bizarrely named "corona voucher", which was not acceptable to us. Lots of others in the same situation if you check out Trustpilot etc. https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/sunweb.co.uk

Wry amusement I had when I saw that afford they could to sponsor a TDF team later in the year Madeye-Smiley

Yes, those Trustpilot reviews are pretty grim; and they are clearly sprinkled with a few fake positive one. No doubt companies such as Sunweb have a very rickety cash flow situation at the best of times, and are using recent customers money to pay last years accommodation bills etc.

As always, your best bet is to pay with a credit card, and/or have www.moneyclaim.gov.uk in your browser favourites.

Personally, I make one attempt to get my money back, and then I’m straight on the phone to the CC company, or issuing a county court summons. I laugh if companies start to give me sob stories.

Happy to hear you got the money back!
snow conditions
To be fair, that was the first trip I had booked with Sunweb and until it all went tits up I had no complaints about their service.

In the more distant past I had some superb holidays with the SCGB / Freshtracks, although in recent years I had only kept up my membership for the insurance, which suited me very well until that too went down the tubes.

It's very sad that things have come to this.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy