Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Nice" Hostels in resort

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on "nice" Hostels in the alps
Nice being recently renovated, comfortable, good facilities etc. cause I'm willing to share but I'm going to be Hosteling long term and working remote, so I can't deal with dives.

I've done the usual googling, read the top 10 hostels etc. They seem to come up with the usual
But wondering if anyone had any recommendations from personal experience?

For anyone interested, the general ones I see pop up:
https://www.ho36hostels.com/en/la-plagne-en/dorms/
https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Chamonix-Lodge/Chamonix/53431
https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/RockyPop-Hotel/Chamonix/271417
https://www.hotel-basecamplodge.com/en/

I'm toying with the idea of resort hopping for a few months starting in January, as I fear that I'd get bored with a seasonal rent in one place

Ta!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All of yours seem to be in France. Here's a nice Swiss one, from where you can ski Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald.

https://valleyhostel.ch/en/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have stopped in the zermatt youth hostel a few times. Pretty modern, clean and good food.
You will have to Google for link.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Euro Youth Hotel in Bad Gastein is part hotel / part hostel. I hadn’t been in a hostel for over 25 years and prior to going a friend told me about waking up in the night to one of the other guests pissing in the middle of the room. The reality was 18yo German and Austrian girls running around in their underwear. Super clean, decent price for the town and right opposite the station and 5 minutes walk from the main lift. The only thing you really miss is a little bit of privacy and the occasional wake up as somebody comes in after you’re asleep.

I’d absolutely go again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hideout in Morzine - theyve also opened one in Tignes this summer. Smart and the one in Morz has a great restaurant attched
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andybomb1 wrote:
The reality was 18yo German and Austrian girls running around in their underwear.

Next boys trip decided then! Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
swskier wrote:
andybomb1 wrote:
The reality was 18yo German and Austrian girls running around in their underwear.

Next boys trip decided then! Laughing Toofy Grin

See also: UCPA (except the girls are French and Swedish)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
getmetothesnow wrote:
I'm going to be Hosteling long term and working remote

Isn't that an oxymoron?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smells of cleverer than usual Spam......
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andybomb1 wrote:

Well that sounds simply awful Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are two hostels and a mountain cabin in the Verbier ski area. The first is down in Le Chable, next to the railway station, in the base gondola building. this works well if you're arriving from GVA by train, obviously. The second is up the mountain at the middle station of Ruinettes. The mountain hut is the Cabane du Mt. Fort, below the summit.

Cabane du Mt. Fort
Maison des Ruinettes part of the middele station complex.
Mt. Fort Swiss Lodge in Le Chable.

Logistically, the Mt. Fort Cabin is harder to access, as you can only ski down to it from the Col des Gentians, which is two gondolas up from Ruinettes i.e. it would be hard to get to with luggage and without being in ski kit. But it might be viable for a night or two from the hostels.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 7-09-21 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, The Mt Fort Swiss Lodge looks a good option. Have you stayed there? If so could you answer the following: It looks to be at the base of 2 lifts? Are there large queues in the morning?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The gondola station hostel in Le Chable is dead easy. Few steps to drag your gear from the train then you are straight on the gondi bypassing any queues in Verb itself in the morning.

Hostel doesn't have a kitchen mind.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The gondola station hostel in Le Chable is dead easy. Few steps to drag your gear from the train then you are straight on the gondi bypassing any queues in Verb itself in the morning.

Hostel doesn't have a kitchen mind.

Thanks. One of the photos on the hostel's website shows what looks like a dining area with cereals and drinks etc. set out?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles wrote:
getmetothesnow wrote:
I'm going to be Hosteling long term and working remote

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Lets not tell my employer that
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
There are two hostels and a mountain cabin in the Verbier ski area. The first is down in Le Chable, next to the railway station, in the base gondola building. this works well if you're arriving from GVA by train, obviously. The second is up the mountain at the middle station of Ruinettes. The mountain hut is the Cabane du Mt. Fort, below the summit.

Cabane di Mt. Fort
Maison des Ruinettes part of the middele station complex.
Mt. Fort Swiss Lodge in Le Chable.

Logistically, the Mt. Fort Cabin is harder to access, as you can only ski down to it from the Col des Gentians, which is two gondolas up from Ruinettes i.e. it would be hard to get to with luggage and without being in ski kit. But it might be viable for a night or two from the hostels.

Ah these look like a great shout! THanks
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
All of yours seem to be in France. Here's a nice Swiss one, from where you can ski Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald.

Cute, I certainly need to decide if I'd be taking the car for somewhere like this?
I've only ever skied Davos & Klosters in Switzerland, so I need to branch out

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 7-09-21 13:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
andybomb1 wrote:
The Euro Youth Hotel in Bad Gastein is part hotel / part hostel. I hadn’t been in a hostel for over 25 years and prior to going a friend told me about waking up in the night to one of the other guests pissing in the middle of the room. The reality was 18yo German and Austrian girls running around in their underwear. Super clean, decent price for the town and right opposite the station and 5 minutes walk from the main lift. The only thing you really miss is a little bit of privacy and the occasional wake up as somebody comes in after you’re asleep.

I’d absolutely go again.

Tbh sounds like boarding school, so I'll just get a nice hit of PTSD from it, can't wait
Thanks for the recco though
snow report
getmetothesnow wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

Cute, I certainly need to decide if I'd be taking the car for somewhere like this?
I've only ever skied Davos & Klosters in Switzerland, so I need to branch out

Absolutely no need for a car here - public transport is purpose-built for skiing, and is included in the ski pass.
latest report
greengriff wrote:
@LaForet, The Mt Fort Swiss Lodge looks a good option. Have you stayed there? If so could you answer the following: It looks to be at the base of 2 lifts? Are there large queues in the morning?
I haven't, but another Snowhead did a weekend trip out and stayed there, and the thread is here. My recollection is that he did single-occupancy and as you see, he seemed happy with the place, albeit it was only for a short trip.
ski holidays
@LaForet, Cheers, I'll check it out.
latest report
I've stayed at the Swiss Lodge in Le Chable for a couple of nights - perfectly decent place, pretty dead in the evening but reasonably quiet and a very convenient location.
ski holidays
@snowdave, It looks like it might be the most straightforward place to get to ever! What about food there? Above it was mentioned that it had no kitchen, but pictures on the hostel's website showed an eating area with breakfast cereals etc. What's the deal?
latest report
There was a decent common room and breakfast was provided but I didn't look into catering I'm afraid as we ate out. The website doesn't mention any catering and calls it a "hotel" which is a bit grand given the bunk beds and shared showers!
ski holidays
IIRC when manned there was a bar area which might serve you coffees and possibly modest snacks but it definitely isn't half board and there isn't anywhere for you to cook so expensive Swiss eat outs it is.
snow conditions
Thank you both!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy