Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any information on Canazie val di fassa ?

Poster: A snowHead
So we have booked a place to stay in Canazie for Jan 8th to 15th, as it is on the stella Ronda it seems like a good base. We are fairly fast skiers so assume we will at some point do the stella ronda, . We intend to ski different areas each day, then ski back to the town in the evening. Arabba, is one of the areas I look forward too, hope it doesn't take too long to ski to from Canazi, where else would you recommend? The Sasslong run is also one we fully intend to do a few times, are there many ski routes in the area? actually any information at all is welcome as out from a weekend in Cortina a few years ago we haven't skied this area of Italy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We are fairly fast skiers so assume we will at some point do the stella ronda,

Couldn’t give a XXXX for anywhere else Little Angel

You’ll like it. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't take very long at all to ski from Canazei to Arabba. From Arabba, you'll also be able to do Marmolada, if you start from Canazei reasonably early.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super, we start early most mornings, so it's great to know that. I am looking forward to the trip now, it has always been a plan to go to that area so we decided to book early to ensure we got a place to base ourselves. Wonder should we do the Stella Ronda at the beginning of the week to give ourselves an idea of where everything is in relation to our village, or would it be one of those things you leave till the end of the week, when everyone else is bored of it leaving it quieter?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's also worth going over to ski the Hidden Valley, it's a fairly long day out, but worthwhile.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sella Ronda can be done both clockwise and anticlockwise, and there are also variants in both. If you're quick you can do both directions in a day, although that does mean you'll probably have to skip lunch, which is one of the joys of Italian Skiing IMV.

Pick a destination in the morning and crack on with it. The downhill course so over in Selva Val Gardena. There are also some 'off the beaten track' side resorts which start or end on the Sella Ronda, but aren't technically part of it and so are less busy.

It's a huge area, and you'll love it. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast because in bad weather they can (and do) close some lifts which could leave you stranded with not enough time to get back to Canezei via another route.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If as you say, you are 'Fast skiers', why not do the clockwise and then anti clockwise (orange and green, but always get which way mixed up)...we were based in Corvara and did the clockwise in about 4 hours with no stops. Its easily doable. Both ways offer different pistes so could be entertaining to go both ways.
Loved the Dolomites, plan to be there end of January (not the Birthday bash though).
We had a snowy day on our visit to the Hidden valley, so really didn't see much on the way down, enjoyed it, but will have to do it again when its a clearer day......being pulled behind a horse drawn sled is an experience though.
Piste map is downloadable from here .....https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Ski-map

You have so many variations, we are on our 4th visit but still find different places to visit. Enjoy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea we ski pretty fast, two teenagers are gung ho to see how much they can and we usually do a light lunch, so pizza and wine back at it, might do it both ways. I have been on you tube and looking up piste maps, I think I have seen all the videos on the area, INCLUDING the snowheads birthday bash, looked like great fun, I was wondering who was who, lol.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't neglect the Ciampac area (other side of the valley from the Ronda) ; short bus ride from Canzei to Alba gondola ; much quieter than the Ronda and some nice runs and Huttes... Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sella Ronda is fun but nothing epic. It is simply a set itinerary that lots of people do, so it is more congested on those runs/in those lift lines. Clockwise vs Anti, they vary a little bit, not much. Do it early in the week so you'll know if you want to repeat it. More fun with vis. I also ski fast but doing the SR means dialing it back at times as you will be looking for the (very good) signage on the fly while trying to keep your group together. Having a leader is a good idea; deputize one of the kids on the clockwise and the other one leads on the anti.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good advice scooter, I'm looking forward to the area, I myself like long runs, so the area with long runs and a few steeps will be the one that I will be returning to. I did the ski welt last year, I wasn't very impressed with it, seemed to spend a long time on lifts, rather than on the piste.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we definitely don't ski fast but easily managed Marmolada and back from Canazei. Including several hot chocolate stops and a look around the museum. We've been to the area twice and now estimate an hour for each 'side' of the SR so similar to @Simon94.

Personally I'd recommend a side trip to Ortisei, can be added on to SR or done by itself, probably best done via an anticlockwise SR so you only have one leg left afterwards. Just go down Saslong, walk across the car park and get on the train/funicular thingy to travel through the hill.

The "La Longia" run from the top of Seceda down to Ortisei is beautiful, varied, long (over 10k) and the several times we did it also quiet. It goes through a gorge and even past a frozen waterfall.

and I found a decent video... https://inspireditaly.com/travellers-tales/dolomites-best-ski-runs-fairytale-ski-slope-la-longia/ 7 mins + for the gorge bit, the waterfall was more spectacular when we were there, just pot luck. On the video they call it 'The fairytale run'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@biddpyat, if you're looking for long fast runs I highly recommend Kronplatz, a short day trip (car or bus) from anywhere on the Sella Ronda. I think the on-piste skiing there is the best of any of the Dolomiti Superski areas, with more vertical and more steep groomers including 5 blacks. Also the most gondola-centric lift system I've ever seen, which I don't particularly like but some do. As a bonus, there are two good museums at the summit that are worth your time, especially if you get a bad vis day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@biddpyat, Check out the whole area here. https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Val-di-Fassa/Ski-map

A 3d map of the whole Dolomiti Superski Area. I've provided the link to the area centred around Canazei; but you can move the map to see all areas. You can also zoom in and change the perspective. Have fun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd suggest the Sella Ronda, both ways early in the week, so you can get an idea of return times from the various areas. You don't want to miss that last lift back over pordoi! rolling eyes

I think the steepest, fastest runs are in the Val Gardina/San Christina areas. Plenty choice of blacks.

Couple of nice runs in Colfosco. A lot of people just go straight past. The black can be a real test if some fresh powder (or even ice Skullie ).

A few of us on the BB plan to visit Vigo di fassa, which is fairly close to you.

A couple of years ago, had a day in Alp di Suisa. Some nice runs. Follow the run down from the top of Comici, short bus ride, work down the valley, and gondola down to Ortesei. Taxi, or bus back from the square to Val Gardina or Selva.

+1m for a trip to Kronplatz, although it's a long day from Canezie so you will need an early start. Choice of a couple of nice long runs down into La Villa. It's about 30 minutes each way bus ride to Kronplatz, (I think every 20 minutes) so check the timetables.
Maybe just visit La Villa one day to see how much time you will have.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 3-09-21 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just checked my ski tracks from last trip. Arabba to La Villa approx 1 hour. Same on return, so fast skiers should be able to get back to Canezei (or at least over Pordoi) in about 90. Should give you 3-4 hours to enjoy Kronplatz if you time the bus ok.
snow report
Quote:

Arabba, is one of the areas I look forward too, hope it doesn't take too long to ski to from Canazi,

Being a fast skier doesn't really make that much difference. It is the state of the lift queues that matter.
ski holidays
@biddpyat, There is more than enough ski mileage for a few weeks around Canezei without having to rush lunch or to go beyond the Sella Ronda and the 500 km of linked off shoots. The rifugios serve coffee and lunch that demands savouring. If necessary ski faster. Ortesei/Suceeda are particularly rich for gourmet lunches. Smile
The Val di Fassa, Pozza and Pera areas are worth a day, the Buffaure,Vulcano and Tomba runs are a treat.
Adjacent areas of Selva/Santa Christina/Ortesei/Alp Di Suisi , Arabba/Marmalada offer different terrain for a few days.
I suppose if you must tick the boxes, do the orange and red S.R. routes but their value is as a conduit to different areas.
If you need to use a ski bus to your accommodation, queues can be a problem at the end of the day. It may be better to finish your ski day at the bus termini at Alba or Pozza where there space on the bus, perhaps better to Apres at a bar or chocolataria until the queues have diminished but don't spoil your dinner.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone, lots of information there, JohnE, good point re the lift ques, mad that it's September and I'm already looking forward to it.
ski holidays
My Trip Report for Canazei, dates from 12 years ago, but apart from the prices, not much has changed...

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915
ski holidays
It is a great area ..one important thing to remember is to makes sure you leave PLENTY of time to get back home as the lifts shut at 4:30 and taxis are expensive..from experience...The ski bus is great and tickets are cheap for the week and it is easier to catch it from there and go up to Pena where there is a choice of quick cable cars than go up two from the center of Canazei also there are nice area going south on the bus such as Alpe Luisa ..a really great area you will enjoy it Very Happy

this is the best map once you get the hang of it
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en
ski holidays
Since this thread has gone into hibernation, i thought it’d be ok to ask another question?

I’m planning to try Dolomites for the first time over Xmas - I thought id decided on Canazei as a good fit - we’re all intermediate++ skiers (normally ski Les Arcs/3v and happy on any red there, and easier blacks to test our mettle), and location and slopes looked good for us - my wife is preferring to take it easy at the moment as she’s just had eye surgery, and I’m fine to go with the flow.

However my daughter has thrown a curveball by saying she wants to give snowboarding a try, and my other two are threatening to join her. I’m not quite clear where the beginner slopes are in Canazei - we’re fine to leave them to it (they’ll all be 16+ by then) but as it’s Christmas, would really like to have lunches together and at least spend some time on the slopes with them. I know the reds are relatively easy in the dollies, but presumably too much for first week boarders ? So wondering - is this really such a great choice for us?

Love to hear opinions, and alternatives - Madonna is the other place I’ve been mulling over - that appears to have a better mix of blues/reds in proximity. Not quite sure how small it is though, compared to our usual French mega-resort experience (we do enjoy a sense of travelling, which is one appeal of the SR).
ski holidays
Most of the skiing is up in the Belvedere bowl above Canazei (there is a small beginners area in the village).

The bowl has some very wide easy areas for beginners plus a couple of steeper reds. I would say it was the ideal place to learn
snow conditions
@albob, thanks for that - I was a bit confused as the piste maps seem to show everything above Canazei and Campitello as reds (bar one or two runs), and certainly those off the main lifts. How do they get to the easier areas?
ski holidays
Canzei-Pecol bubble then Toe bubble : they do indeed show as mainly reds, but (in my opinion) the only true red bit is the short drops off the 'Ridge' (the Toe bubble stops short of the ridge..)

If they were in France the map would be all 'Blue' !

Assuming that they are taking lessons? - trust in the instructors..

=====edit====

The Dolomitisuperski 3D ski map is a fantastic resource, see here -- https://www.fassa.com/EN/3D-ski-map-Dolomites-Val-di-Fassa/
snow report
If they catch the bus up to Alba and take the gondola on the rhs up to Campac there is a very nice blue run to practice on ..Its as quick as going up the bubble
ski holidays
@DaveD, Nice one - forgot about Alba (and much quieter than areas on the 'Ronda' !)
snow conditions
Thanks both - really useful info, but I have to say, it doesn’t look a great set up for what we’re after. They are either learning on a slope by the town (I checked one of the ski school web sites, and that’s what they suggest), or have to take a bus for one blue run that appears to be on a drag lift (again not great for beginner boarders).

Are the “red” runs easy enough that they could graduate to after a couple of days of boarding (assume they progress at a reasonable pace)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Belvedere area area is wide open and not difficult in any way. There's a slightly steeper area right off the lifts at the top but nothing difficult.
snow report
Corvara or one of the adjacent villages would provide a local area of mostly blue runs
snow report
Pejoli wrote:
Thanks both - really useful info, but I have to say, it doesn’t look a great set up for what we’re after. They are either learning on a slope by the town (I checked one of the ski school web sites, and that’s what they suggest), or have to take a bus for one blue run that appears to be on a drag lift (again not great for beginner boarders).

Are the “red” runs easy enough that they could graduate to after a couple of days of boarding (assume they progress at a reasonable pace)?

No drag lifts anywhere in the Dolomoti superki that I remember and Campac is a really nice area for beginners ..it never gets that busy and is usually in the sun
snow conditions
DaveD wrote:
Pejoli wrote:

No drag lifts anywhere in the Dolomoti superki that I remember ….

Your memory is failing you NehNeh
There aren’t many but there are a few drags if you really want to find them Toofy Grin
snow conditions
There are a couple in the area at the bottom of the gondolas that take you up to marmolada, also near the saslong I think..
snow report
"There aren’t many but there are a few drags if you really want to find them"

four! on the lower slopes in Selva ; a couple a Plan di Gralba : a couple in Corvara etc...
snow report
albob wrote:
"There aren’t many but there are a few drags if you really want to find them"

four! on the lower slopes in Selva ; a couple a Plan di Gralba : a couple in Corvara etc...

The Canazei piste map shows three drag lifts servicing the only blue runs marked on the map ? Have those been replaced with chairs ?
latest report
I'm not sure if the map your are looking is the most up to date one.
The one on the Val Di Fassa site shows - one up in the Belvedere bowl, one in the village and a couple up at Ciampac (above Alba)

https://www.fassa.com/en/skimap/

Just to add - the map in my link above shows a lot more Blue !!
ski holidays
Thanks! That version of the map looks much more promising.

I’ll give one of the ski schools a call today and ask how long they take to graduate beginners from the village slopes to up top in the bowl - if it’s only a day or two then I think we have a winner!
snow report
Ok, so we’ve had a late change in thinking and decided we would rather opt for an apartment than separate hotel rooms for that extra Christmas spirit. Dallied with reverting back to high altitude France again for a moment (had a great time in VT staying in the Oxalys a couple of years ago) but decided that with a mono-jabbed 16 year old in tow, the Italy plan would make things that much simpler - no need for PCR tests every couple of days just to access lifts, restaurants et al.

So, had a quick hunt around, and managed to find a place in Selva, via Inghams. All booked, and very excited already!
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Just checked my ski tracks from last trip. Arabba to La Villa approx 1 hour. Same on return, so fast skiers should be able to get back to Canezei (or at least over Pordoi) in about 90. Should give you 3-4 hours to enjoy Kronplatz if you time the bus ok.
That is now a plan,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy