Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone heard of a resort called La Rosiere?

Poster: A snowHead
Only joking.

But seriously, after reading so many positive comments on here, I am considering going there next Feb half-term, with my wife, who hasn't skied for 8 years & my boys aged 12 & 5, who have never skied.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels or catered chalets that can be booked direct, ie, not through a TO.

I know Esprit & ski olympic go there, but I prefer to arrange things myself.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ssnowman,
Theres a chap called masque who I believe has some personal recommendations.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssnowman, T Bar refers to a long-running dispute between Masque and David@traxvax... I haven't used Tracks Vacations myself but when I was considering it found David nothing but helpful. Judge for yourself I guess - there have been lots of kind works for Tracks - http://www.tracksvacations.com/

Also Frosty The Snowman has extensive experience of the area, it would be worth sending him a PM.

Good luck in your search. I will be there with the family next half-term (going with Esprit), perhaps see you there? snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TallTone,
You are spot on my remark was a littke tongue in cheek and on reflection probably silly if a passing mod wishes to delete it I will not be offended but your reply does not make much sense if I do it myself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.larosiere.net/fr/hotels.html The Belvedere is well out of town but looks nice. The Relais PetiteSt Bernard is ski in/out and was recommended by Kevin Mclean.
For Private chalets try:
http://www.tracksvacations.com/
http://snowcrazy.co.uk/
http://www.morealps.com/

EDIT:
IF S/C is any good then http://www.leplanica.com/frame_english.htm are second to none. I have been round them and they are superb.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-05-06 13:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, I hope your not suggesting all silly posts be deleted.
Frosty the Snowman
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman,
No, but there are are prrobably some things that are best left unstirred and I think my post was silly not humorous Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
T Bar, Better than lurking though. C'mon, no sad faces on a Friday Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
IF S/C is any good then http://www.leplanica.com/frame_english.htm are second to none. I have been round them and they are superb.

I stayed in Planica last year with Ski Olympic. Superb chalet, ski in/out, plus swimming pool, sauna etc. I'll definitely be going back, and not just because its run by some friends - Nicolas (who is also a ESF instructor) and Fiona, who was the Ski Olympic ski host the first year I ever went to LaRos. You can see more of Nicolas in the weekly torchlight descent - possibly more of him than you would want actually Shocked Shocked Shocked .

I've looked around the S/C apartments but not actually stayed in one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssnowman, we've stayed at David at Tracksvacations Chalet Mouflon and can definitely recommend it. Emma cooks the most wonderful food Very Happy Great skiing at La Ros and La Thuile too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went there a couple of years ago and had a great time. The town is/seemed quite small, but it had a nice feel about it. Dinner at Le Chalet was excellent, too.

I managed to get through £300 cash in a week, just on booze, so my memory might be a bit unreliable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyweljenkins,
Quote:

I managed to get through £300 cash in a week, just on booze

Had you considered the Eosb for next year. A certain mate of mine was looking for a decent drinking partner all week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, yup. I considered it this year but ended up in Canada the week after instead. No excuse, really.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed in the MGM apartments (self catering) half term this year would definitely recommend them. A bit pricey but excellent ski in ski out location + swimming pool. Having re-read your post might not be ideal because beginners would have to get ski bus to ski school meeting point.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kevinrhead wrote:
beginners would have to get ski bus to ski school meeting point.

But its only a 2-minute bus-ride, buses are every 8-10 minutes and they're free Very Happy
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
TallTone,
You are spot on my remark was a littke tongue in cheek and on reflection probably silly if a passing mod wishes to delete it I will not be offended but your reply does not make much sense if I do it myself.

T Bar, not judging, just thought that ssnowman might not know what you meant.... like Frosty says, don't worry and it's better than lurking Smile
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for a superb response, as usual .

I'll certainly look at the above recommendations and will also consider s/c, although TBH Mrs ssnowman is more of a hotel person.

Has anyone stayed in any of the Hotels? Are there only 2 star hotels in La Rosiere?

I like the sound of Relais Petite St Bernard, being ski in/out.
snow report
Quote:

Has anyone stayed in any of the Hotels? Are there only 2 star hotels in La Rosiere?

I have stayed in the Petit St Bernard. Nice hosts and a good 2* (but not 3*). Right by the main lifts and handy for town. The MGM apartments referred to are actually in les Eucherts, but they are brilliantly located for the slopes. I think 2* is the best in La Ros, and in my experience Petit St Bernard is the best hotel. I have never stayed in any other hotel there, so 'in my experience' is quite significant.

I am a fan, and go there a lot.

DJ
ski holidays
La Rosiere is so revered simply because it's one of the very few Tarentaise resorts that hasn't been affected by overt, crass mega development. You see, it feels personal, you feel like an individual, not a lemming who has just been thrown out of a lift at the top of Burgin Saulire to proceed down a run alongside all the other Killy clad Henry's from Putney.

I stayed at the Petit St Bernard and although the food was distinctly average the positioning and cordiality of the hosts was excellent and I'd stay there again.

The lift pass was very reasonably priced and the ski area is pleasant enough, though it lacks serious pisted challenge (if you're so bothered by these sorts of things). The slopes were wonderfully uncrowded and it was simply sensational to stop every now and then and just immerse yourself with the stunning views of the Tarentaise and, in particular, the glory of the Aiguille Rouge (though not necessarily the monstrosity of Les Arcs 2000 and the laughably neo-Savoyard-Disneyfied Arc 1950).

If you're a poser, a binge drinker, a self absorbed consumptionist who likes to flash cash and be overtly demonstrative then this is not the place for you and I would urge you to stay in Meribel and spend 200 euros a pint in Dickies bar, all in the name of a good time. But if you're none of these, come along and enjoy.
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, Laughing good stuff, and sums up the place nicely.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
kevin mcclean, Laughing good stuff, and sums up the place nicely.
Add the extra dimension of cross border skiing and a plug for the Rascard to Kevin's assessment and I would say spot on. And don't forget the hot chocolate to die for on the Italian side.
snow conditions
kevin mcclean,
Quote:

I stayed at the Petit St Bernard and although the food was distinctly average the positioning and cordiality of the hosts was excellent and I'd stay there again.

kevin mcclean, What were the bedrooms & bathrooms like for size, comfort & cleanliness?
snow report
ssnowman, I have also been wooed by the excellent reports on the snowHead forum re la Rosiere and particularly the reports about how it was at half-term 2006 - so we will be there in Feb 2007 too. We are going with some friends for whom it is a repeat visit and we are staying in apartments (Cimes Blanches). As far as I can see, the hotels are all 2*, but there are apartments and chalets which are up to 4*.
I am quite prepared to "rough it" for good empty pistes but SWMBO isn't.

Already counting down - sad isn't it?
latest report
Nick L, We were there 2 years ago at February Half Term and the pistes certainly were not empty. The half term period spans 2 weeks, one seems to be much busier than the other IME. I will say that the large queues we encountered were at the main access and exits lifts at the peak times and could be avoided. Once away from these areas queues were not a problem and there were none on the Italian side, but there was not much snow there either Sad
ski holidays
Nick L, If you are staying at Cimes Blanches you will definatly not be "roughing it" Laughing
snow conditions
kevinrhead, yes, I realise that!
But the lack of any hotel better than 2* does not sit well with SWMBO hence 4* apartments!
snow report
Nick L,

I have a similar problem.

As I've booked 4 & 5 star hotels for our summer hols, I don't think I'd be able to persuade Mrs ssnowman that a 2 star hotel is suitable.

Especially after I foolishly told her how small & basic the 2 star was that I stayed in recently in Tignes.

However, the apartments do seem to be to a decent standard so I will defo consider them, I just prefer the social aspect of hotels.
latest report
kevin mcclean wrote:
(the laughably neo-Savoyard-Disneyfied Arc 1950).
Just out of curiosity... have you actually been to the place? Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssnowman, couldn't agree more about the social aspects of hotels, and that was a definite minus point for us when chosing Cimes Blanches. However, at least two groups of friends will also be staying there at the same time. But we will miss being able to chill out in the hotel bar and then meander upstairs as and when we want to.

My SWMBO has also been spoilt by two really nice hotels skiing - Sport Village in Soldeu and le Levanna in Tignes. Really I have shot myself in the foot.

PG, no I haven't, one of the "groups" is returning having spent half-term in the same place last season.
latest report
PG-yes, I went there on the last day of my trip to La Rosiere. No better than Arc 2000 in my view. Interestingly, I went to Arc 2000 in 1980 (or was it 1981). Is the 'Rockhill Club' still there? Who cares anyhow? A complete ghetto devoid of soul.
ski holidays
kevin mcclean wrote:
A complete ghetto devoid of soul.

Which one? 1950 or 2000?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Incidentally I was considering this appt for next Xmas before alternative plans to go to Switzerland came up.

Looks rather nice in the pics, is right on the front de neige and prices compare vary favourably with the cimes blanches.

http://www.lemckinley.com/appart_erick.htm

Still available for Feb half term.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy