Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Chalet Lottery

Poster: A snowHead
I booked a late deal holiday via the internet with Thomson. We stayed in a 2* Chalet in Zel am See. Our chalet was basic but comfortable enough, and our room was large with en suite, table and sofa etc. Our host was brilliant, a 26 yr old (going on 46) who had to look after 12 guests, the rooms, cooking, cleaning etc by himself. He was charming and courteous, and nothing was too much trouble, and for a budget 2* Chalet the food was very good.

My friend booked a late deal with Crystal in a 4* Chalet in La Plagne. She paid a single supplement for a single room, and paid almost double what we did. Her room(?) was in the basement of the Chalet, it had no proper window, no chest of drawers, wardrobe or en suite facility, in fact all she had was a small bedside stall. She was also unable to dry her ski gear and towels etc. She had to go on sleeping tablets to be able to sleep as she felt entombed in what was effectively a broom cupboard. The Chalet Hosts were young snowboarders who really didn't make much effort with the food or cleaning, and the fridge was filthy.

To top it all off, the door that leads to the rest of the Chalet was faulty, and her a couple of fellow guests were locked in, and only managed to escape after a youngster climbed through a window. Crystal did offer alternative accommodation, in a self catering appartment, to be shared with someone that she didn't know, another male guest in the same Chalet, who himself at over 6' tall was unable to sleep on the child bunks he was given. She refused the alternastive accommodation as it would have parted her from her friends, and left her with a stranger.

She has all the photographic evidence and is now demanding a full refund from Crystal.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this is another good reason to book early and try and get a group to book the whole chalet - cuts down on cost and means you get the place you want.

Plus I haven't heard many people with good things to say about Crystal
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno,[sounds awful!!! You're right it is indeed a lottery. We were successful in our only last-minute chalet booking, but I know of others who weren't satisifed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno, Research, research, research. An alternative is the late deal lottery.
Quote:

another male guest in the same Chalet, who himself at over 6' tall was unable to sleep on the child bunks he was given.
Now that rings a bell
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kosciosco & Helen Beaumont The point is it shouldn't matter if you book last minute, a 4* chalet should be 4*: food, accommodation and service. The other guests were great, she didn't have a problem with them, and they are all complaining too. I have seen the photo's and it is really bad.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 12-05-06 12:09; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, definitely. I tihnk ours was a 3 star one in Les Arcs, but the food was delicious, we all had en-suites, and kids a separate room.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing Laughing He couldn't even take the matresses of to sleep on the floor either rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, That sounds shocking! Are you sure it was late deal and not accommodation on arrival. I do late deals every year (with Igluski) and we always know (and they put it in writing) that the room is en-suite and what sort of beds (eg twin, double etc) there are. Last year we were told (in writing) we were in Room 6 (in a 3T Thomson chalet). We arrived earliest and unpacked there. Later, another couple came. They had been promised Room 6 too! Unfortunately for them, the only other room was with a shared loo and shower so they complained. The next morning they were moved to a hotel (3T). Don't know if it was any good though, as we never saw them again!

Let us know the outcome of the complaint when you can.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
IncogSkiSno, Research, research, research. An alternative is the late deal lottery.
Quote:

another male guest in the same Chalet, who himself at over 6' tall was unable to sleep on the child bunks he was given.
Now that rings a bell
I never 'gave' u that room Frosty, it was chance, allocated by the gods or fate, whatever, u and Charlatanfc were obviously somehow drawn to it - probably by your 'lust for danger' or something NehNeh

I quite enjoy the late bookings lottery - I've had fully catered trips for under £150; I've had great staff, a triple room to myself although I have had to share a triple with two girls before (oh the sacrifice!).
Even when, on the rare occassion, the staff have been rubbish, the service sub-standard, it's been hard to feel truly ripped off at the price paid. Yes, they have sold u a 'normal' package at a last minute price so u shouldn't have to accept a cut price service and I'll complain as vigorously as anyone if that's the case but it doesn't put me off the last-minute approach because overall it adds up to lots more sking for lots less money snowHead

This year's last minute Gambit was £250 to St Anton with SkiWorld in Jan: Absolutely top notch service - attentive, considerate chalet host and a rep who seemed to care about more than just selling u outings. She even returned an item that went missing in the post while I was out there, when it turned up 3 weeks after we came home!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I never 'gave' u that room Frosty, it was chance, allocated by the gods or fate, whatever, u and Charlatanfc were obviously somehow drawn to it - probably by your 'lust for danger' or something
Did I mention the Eosb?. Your guilt complex made you think that though wink Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Laughing sorry, true u didn't, but whether it's guilt or not, for some reason the image is indelibly imprinted on my mind Shocked

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 12-05-06 13:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely most of the thing with chalets is the staff. It doesn't matter how early you book - you can't tell how good (or bad) they'll be until you get there. That's where the lottery lies.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
True easiski, some are always going to be better than others but I have noticed a definite pattern that suggests the liklihood of getting enthusiastic staff diminishes as the season progresses.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Surely most of the thing with chalets is the staff. It doesn't matter how early you book - you can't tell how good (or bad) they'll be until you get there. That's where the lottery lies.

That is a very fair comment, and it was one of my biggest fears of staying in a Chalet Shocked Whilst the accommodation was basic, this paled into insignificance because of the enthusiasm of our host and the fun we had with our fellow guests. We were near the end of the season too 18th March.

Maggie I will keep you posted on events as they unfold.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BTW forgot to mention that they had to clean the chalet themselves because of the dirt. Also, there was only a small living area, which the hosts also occupied and were often seen with their bare feet up on the coffee table. The holiday IIRC cost her over £500, compared with the £300 we paid, and would have cost considerably more had it not been a late booking Confused
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I do agree with you, there is no excuse for a place being billed as a four star but then not coming up to scratch, but I do agree with Frosty in that research is vital, not least asking questions on here.

BUT, having said all that, sometimes you just can't account for plain bad luck and unscrupulous people!

All I would say is name names - tell everyone so that no one else gets caught out!
snow report
BUMP

My friend has thus far been offered £40 worth of Crystal vouchers. She is now taking it up with ABTA.
latest report
I went on a holiday with Crystal in January to Val d'isere. The accomodation though pretty basic was decent enough for the two of us in our apartment, but what really shocked me was the reps themselves. I am by no means a man of the world at 22 years old but their whole manner was rather amusing especially on the coach transfers, they managed to talkl to everyone as if they were in nursery school and yet provide no information of any substance whatsoever. I don't think I'd bother with crystal myself. Another thing that amused me on the bus were the people who were on Crystal Finest holiday, They received a bottle of water and a mars bar on the coach, a sure fire way to keep customers happy rolling eyes I thought to myself hmm that surely is worth the extra hundred pounds alone Laughing
snow report
IncogSkiSno, would she like me to write the letter Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Missed your original post.... I would advise hanging out for more - I organised a group booking 2 seasons ago with Crystal & it was a shocking filthy pit... like your friend I took photos and wrote letters with extensive detail, I refused to accept first offer and eventually recieved £100 per head (£500) in vouchers......

I've deleted the photos recently as I'm clearing out my laptop - but honestly they were shocking...

It was my first trip and I'll confess I did not do my homework thoroughly.... good advice to research well - I've used a couple of sites such as Trip Advisor etc on further trips. Even though sites like that are personal opinion based you do get a reasonable 'feel' for places.

Good luck to your mate....

Smile
snow report
Edmundh009, From the feedback we got from our reps Crystal/Thomson, the Crystal reps get a pretty raw compared to other TO's. Our Crystal rep was a very nice young man indeed who ski hosted us for 3 days too.

CEM, I'll ask her wink

Honda Kitty, Thanks - my friend is no pushover, if anyone can fight believe me she can, and I don't think that vouchers are on the agenda £££, afterall who would want to re-live an experience like that! Confused
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, I had no choice - I guess I could have fought it but I used it against a hotel I'd researched better and had a fab time - I think it's just a big shame you have to put up such time consuming a fight for things like this.... they are quick enough to take your cash in the first place!!

Smile
snow conditions
Honda Kitty, I think she's now been put off of skiing for good, which is a real shame Confused
latest report
We had a dreadful chalet when we were in Les Deux Alpes booked through Airtours. Its no longer in their brochure, or any brochure as far as I can see.

Chalet was very, very basic, which we don't mind as long as it is clean. It was, however, not clean at all. I don't think the carpets had ever been hoovered. When we arrived, the "host" (22 year old Scottish guy) was basically sitting at the dinner table smoking and was surrounded by dirty washing and the place was really a mess. In his defence, he does have a lot to do, but the place really was a shambles. He didn't show us to our rooms, but told us to "pick" a room. When you turned in bed, you woke up as the beds all squeaked.

I know that accommodation is really just somewhere to dump your stuff and that we are all out all day, but it still has to be of a certain standard. Chalet was the only downside of the holiday
latest report
Chalet Arabella, perchance?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy