Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone had their ski bag opened and inspected by Easyjet?

Poster: A snowHead
Just buy the Elan Voyager folding ski and thumb your nose at these ridiculous charges!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eblunt wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:
Sleazy just about the most expensive way of transporting skis at £74 return.

I've still got my £1 ski bag booked ( cancelled 3 times and rebooked so far ) for next year. Will be sticking a couple of pairs in.

You're not the only one. Flights, skis, bags, extra leg room etc for less than £50 each for next Easter... Been moved several times and would currently be over £300 now
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that a new rule? I've flown with Easyjet a few times and taken skis and I've never seen that before. Sports items used to allow two bags for starters (one for skis one for boots). I've always stuffed them full of all sorts of crap and never had a problem.

Edit. In fact, one time, I managed to stuff 4, yes FOUR, pairs of skis in a large decathlon ski bag. One pair was only pair of blades, but still. That's a lot of skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I think my original point related to paying £90 to put skis on Ryanair...
Which can still work out to be a bargain if you get fares for £9.99 each way wink

Not so good for their very expensive fares Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Is that a new rule? I've flown with Easyjet a few times and taken skis and I've never seen that before. Sports items used to allow two bags for starters (one for skis one for boots). I've always stuffed them full of all sorts of crap and never had a problem.

Edit. In fact, one time, I managed to stuff 4, yes FOUR, pairs of skis in a large decathlon ski bag. One pair was only pair of blades, but still. That's a lot of skis.

A snowhead friend was travelling with me through MAN & being v smug about taking 3 pairs of skis in one bag & the bindings in his carry on bag until the security were not happy with the bindings being in the carry on, possible weapon! They let him through but I can still see the look on his face at the prospect of having 3 pairs of skis & no bindings Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One issue not mentioned is the reduction in the size of carry on bag EZ allow made earlier this year. Previously I had no problem carrying skis and just about everything else needed for a week except for boots in a single paid for 23kg hold bag, which typically came in at around 21kg. My boots with a few essentials stuffed in them went in my "standard size" carry on bag for the lockers. Now EZ have shrunk the standard carry on allowance to a size that will fit under the seat, unless you pay extra for an upfront seat, of which there are a limited number. There is no way a pair of boots will fit in a bag within the under seat dimensions, so you either have to pay to up the weight limit on your hold bag or buy two hold bags. Another option might be to wear the boots but I suspect that would breach other regulations!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thorney, Good point! Thank you.

This bag has worked for me, as it holds your boots next to each other is in a flat configuration, with one boot up and the other down — kinda locked together. I've taken it on Easyjet a number of times with no issue, and other airlines. It fits under the seat no problem:

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/luggage-c46/travel-bags-c47/rossignol-hero-dual-boot-bag-p33275/s176171?cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-NaJBhDsARIsAAja6dOcSu5mYFG6NRvG90t8YpWP2A47VoEtdAydjVEssbqUKrAHxy64p04aAgt4EALw_wcB

That bag is: 490mm x 360mm x 110mm

Easyjet under-the-seat size is: 450mm x 360mm x 200mm:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/policy/cabin-bags-faqs

So the bag is 4cm wider, but 9cm thinner.

In my experience, Easyjet, and other airlines, do not have any measuring devices for under-the-seat bags, like they have for cabin bags. If it fits under the seat, then they are fine with it. And when you are checking-in and entering the plane, they just see the bag as a laptop bag or suchlike.

And on other occasions, I've just taken my boots onboard in a plastic bag, that again, fits under the seat.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@greengriff, naughty trick, that I have seen work for a "friend" NehNeh

Easyjet ski bag weight is 20Kg, and normally, they will weigh the bag at check-in, tag it, and then tell you to take it to the oversized luggage desk.

So you make sure you bag is under 20Kg, and then on the way to the oversized luggage desk, some extra item "accidentally" fall into your ski bag from a big plastic bag your mate has been holding for you.

Works for other airlines as well, I'm told by my "friend". snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Poogle, Genius! I presume you're 'mate' has never been caught?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poogle wrote:
@Thorney, Good point! Thank you.

This bag has worked for me, as it holds your boots next to each other is in a flat configuration, with one boot up and the other down — kinda locked together. I've taken it on Easyjet a number of times with no issue, and other airlines. It fits under the seat no problem:

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/luggage-c46/travel-bags-c47/rossignol-hero-dual-boot-bag-p33275/s176171?cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-NaJBhDsARIsAAja6dOcSu5mYFG6NRvG90t8YpWP2A47VoEtdAydjVEssbqUKrAHxy64p04aAgt4EALw_wcB

That bag is: 490mm x 360mm x 110mm

Easyjet under-the-seat size is: 450mm x 360mm x 200mm:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/policy/cabin-bags-faqs

So the bag is 4cm wider, but 9cm thinner.

In my experience, Easyjet, and other airlines, do not have any measuring devices for under-the-seat bags, like they have for cabin bags. If it fits under the seat, then they are fine with it. And when you are checking-in and entering the plane, they just see the bag as a laptop bag or suchlike.

And on other occasions, I've just taken my boots onboard in a plastic bag, that again, fits under the seat.

Very useful, thank you!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Poogle wrote:

Easyjet ski bag weight is 20Kg, and normally, they will weigh the bag at check-in, tag it, and then tell you to take it to the oversized luggage desk.

So you make sure you bag is under 20Kg, and then on the way to the oversized luggage desk, some extra item "accidentally" fall into your ski bag from a big plastic bag your mate has been holding for you.

Depends on the airport. At Gatwick and City, the oversize bags are definitely weighed on the oversize belt, hence how I was rumbled for being over.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowdave wrote:
Poogle wrote:

Depends on the airport. At Gatwick and City, the oversize bags are definitely weighed on the oversize belt, hence how I was rumbled for being over.

Many thanks for that. Very Happy

My “friend“, has used the oversize bag section at London City Airport, which is tucked away around the corner, and staffed by some very grumpy people indeed. And in “his“ experience, not all oversize bag sections have a weighing function, as they simply rely on the airline check-in to do that. This is because the oversize section is generic to all airlines, and is not a check-in for oversize bags.

And where they do have a weighing function, they simply want to check that the bag does not exceed 32 kg, which is the maximum the airlines will handle even if you have paid the extra fee. They don’t seem to be interested, nor can they track, all the different airlines and their various weight limits for ski bags etc.

And in any case (no pun intended), how would they not know that you had paid an excess, to have a heavier ski bag?

At both Gatwick and London City Airport, your ski bag is first weighed at check-in, before being tagged and sent to the oversize section. And on that basis, the oversize section will accept it, but they will make you wait until it has gone through the x-ray, if they have that function there immediately.

So the only time you will run into difficulty, is if you have put the kitchen sink in your ski bag, and that’s exceeded the 32 kg universal limit. Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 7-09-21 11:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
greengriff wrote:
@Poogle, Genius! I presume you're 'mate' has never been caught?

No, never been nicked for it. But “he” has always been reasonably discreet about it; and the deed has been done well-away from the check-in.

Do be aware that some oversize check in belts, have a weighing function. But this is only to check, that your bag is not over 32 kg, which is the maximum that any airline will take. The oversize bag staff, are not interested in how your bag may comply with the many different airline weight limits. Once your bag has the tag from check-in, you are good to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poogle wrote:
The oversize bag staff, are not interested in how your bag may comply with the many different airline weight limits. Once your bag has the tag from check-in, you are good to go.

Generally in multi-airline terminals that is probably true but at single airline terminals like T5 LHR that might not be the case?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ster wrote:
Poogle wrote:
The oversize bag staff, are not interested in how your bag may comply with the many different airline weight limits. Once your bag has the tag from check-in, you are good to go.

Generally in multi-airline terminals that is probably true but at single airline terminals like T5 LHR that might not be the case?

Good point, and I don’t have any experience of T5 at Heathrow. But generally, check-in is one thing, and the oversize bag section is another. And check-in, has to be completed all at once, as only when that has been completed, can you be issued with your boarding pass.

T5 is for IAG airlines, and as such the oversize bag section will be dealing with multiple airlines, sizes and allowances. Your bag will be weighed at check-in, and then tagged as oversize, then you can take it to the oversize section.

That said, I think that in some cases, I have been at a check-in at some airports, where a ski bag can actually be sent into the baggage transport at the check-in itself, as the modern system can handle that. In which case of course, this trick would not work.
snow report
Our ski bag was designed to take two sets and often does. It also takes a number of other items to act as 'padding'. On the way home this is often the dirty laundry. As far as I know nobody's ever inspected it.

I have seen inconsistency though - not with skis but checking in with mountain bikes in bike bags. I was checking in at one Easyjet desk and my mate was at the desk next to me. He was being told to remove everything that wasn't bike or wheels from his bag while I was being advised to bung some of the stuff from my overweight cabin bag into my bike bag.
ski holidays
The TSA in the USA often inspect stuff, although I've also had it inspected elsewhere. That's obviously a security not a tariffing issue, mind. In my humble opinion, mostly it's about being nice to the check in people, for everything else.
snow report
philwig wrote:
The TSA in the USA often inspect stuff, although I've also had it inspected elsewhere. That's obviously a security not a tariffing issue, mind. In my humble opinion, mostly it's about being nice to the check in people, for everything else.

You are so wonderfully right! It’s just amazing how much a smile and being friendly can help the world go around.

Last time I was leaving LAX to fly back to Heathrow, the woman at check-in, was obviously so tired and exhausted after a long day dealing with difficult customers; and so I was super sweet and nice to her, by the end of my check-in she was smiling and friendly. It wasn’t until I started walking towards security, that I noticed she’d put me on the superfast track.
ski holidays
@Poogle, Used that technique a couple of times in the past. Never had a problem.
First time was at Manchester. I was early, so only the self check in available, which is designed for cases and not ski bags, which hang over the edge.

I recorded me as 2kg over limit, (even though I had double checked them as under!),but other bag ok, so asked the assistant to cancel the ticket so I could transfer some weight to cabin bag.

The scales then informed me that the bag weighed even more, which was a surprise to her, as she'd seen me remove a pair of trainers.

She assumed the scales were not working correctly, so overrode the ticket. On the way to oversize, just put the trainers back in.

If you position the bag in such a way as it hangs over the edge, and "rests" on your foot, you can actually get the recorded weight well below the actual. Very Happy
ski holidays
It is about weight not number of skis. That;s it. Same re other sports equipment. You are paying for extra baggae.

Rather oddly until a few years ago if you just had a ski bag and no other hold luggage you had 32kg allowed! No longer.

My son's enormous start bag fits as hand luggage though- which makes no sense. About 65lt.

It used to- just checked and hand luggage has halved in size to about 32lt. Great.
snow conditions
Easy jet hands free however still allows a large abin bag (now plus a small one) for not much- about £7 which means that you can actually take about 90lt luggage per person for not much if you are careful.

Or £16 for a group of up to 6- which would be loads of luggage
ski holidays
@Poogle, they keep an eye on you in GVA at the easyJet check in desk. A friend got done moving gear into his ski bag from handheld... I (i mean my friend) then had to take all the crap out of the ski bag and put back into carry on backpack. lots of harumfing but no fine..
snow report
@skimottaret, did your "friend" not go behind the big pillar to repack rolling eyes
latest report
Never once has anyone batted an eyelid, think 4 sets is my record.
latest report
@adithorp, sure did but they were on it
ski holidays
Never had my ski bag opened and examined and I usually pack it full of extra stuff plus skis, never had a problem.
latest report
No, never had it examined. 2 pairs of skis and poles, plus clothes to take it to ~100 g under the weight limit. Used the self bag check in and popped a tag on it, their scales were dodgy as it came in 2kgs under weight - win. Tagged it and took it to outsize bags, it goes on the scanner, then through and done. Boots went in our hold bags, stuffed the boots with socks and undies to save space, things like tshirts and stuff go in the hand luggage (usually 1 hand luggage between the 2 of us). It's an easy do if you're not the kind of person who needs loads of clothes and paraphernalia or more than 1 type shoe (not incl ski boots obvs).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy