Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for mixed ability + non skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're considering a family ski trip either Christmas 2022 or sometime in 2023.

We are: family of 4. Children currently 10 and 8. Low intermediate at present, always trying to improve. Children currently faster and more confident than the adults, but focus less on technique.

Mother in law. Complete beginner. Usually game for an adventure. May not want to ski every day and may be happy to relax with Stepmother.

Dad. Hasn't skiied since 1977. Keen to do it again.

Stepmother. Non-skiier. Double hip replacement. Respiratory issues so needs to walk slowly and take regular breaks.

Stepmother says she's happy to relax with a book all week, Dad is less convinced about leaving her to go and have fun on the slopes. Stepmother is keen to go as a family as she wants Dad to have the opportunity to ski (and he won't holiday without her).

Is there anywhere that would work for us? We'd like Stepmother to be able to take a gondola up to a restaurant to meet us for lunch occasionally. I worry that high altitudes will be an issue for her, though lower resorts should be fine. Be nice if there was some pretty villages for some gentle sightseeing so that she has options other than staying in with a book all day.

Less worried about accommodation all together. Happy to split across two apartments. Easyish transfers preferable.

Thank you Oracles.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Ortisei in the Dolomites. It's a town rather than a ski station so plenty to do off the slopes. Gondola's out of the resort will make meeting easy for your non skier. Fly to Innsbruck or Venice and it's an easy drive/transfer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnowMonkey69, and the skiing is lovely for this group
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in Aosta (which is relatively flat, and a proper town) take the gondola up to Pila to ski?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two other options worth thinking about.
A resort like Courchevel 1850 where it's very easy to come back to base for lunch. Lots of restaurants around the croisette where stepmother could meet you every day for lunch and skiing that would definitely suit yor level.
Or Wengen where access to the mountain by train would open up several restaurants while the village is scenic and there are options to go down the valley by train to Interlaken. Plus a train trip up to Jungfraujoch would be great for stepmother (and possibly you Dad too)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all, some fantastic options there. Love the look of Oritisei, which I'd not heard of. Friends of mine ski at Grindelwald and I've seen the train in their videos. I always thought it looked amazing. She tells me that they like to race the train down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Owlette, St Ulrich in the Dolomites (known by it's Italian name, Oritisei, in some quarters) is, I beleive, an excellent choice for the mobility challenged. There are moving pavements aoround the town that will take you up to the Seceda cable car with the Seceda restaurant at the top. From there the views are outstanding, particularly of Geisler group.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe Lauterbrunnen rather than Wengen itself, though that wouldn't work so well for the lunchtime Gondola - it'd be a train (Wengen) or cable car and train (Murren)? Leaves loads of options for both skiers and non skiers up either side of the valley (to Wengen or Murren - loads of walking, and the "James Bond" rotating restaurant at the top of Murren, plus the Jungfrau above Wengen), or the train down to Interlaken. Seems that this area has already been recommended -

Also - Zell am See, surely one of the most beautiful locations. Skiing not so limited now as linked to Saalbach area, plus train station for a trips to Salzburg for the non skiers?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Funny Zell should come up. We go to Rauris, which is the smaller resort literally just down the road from there. I'd be tempted to take them to Rauris but wanted to check other areas first as as pretty as it, the village is tiny and only really made up of one of one main street. I hadn't considered the possibility of getting the train into Salzburg for the day (even though that's how we got to and from the resort). Will look into Zell some more.

I also love the sound of the mountain train in Switzerland and the moving pavements in Italy. Will suggest them all to the family and see where they fancy.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, thank you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Owlette wrote:
Funny Zell should come up. We go to Rauris, which is the smaller resort literally just down the road from there. I'd be tempted to take them to Rauris but wanted to check other areas first as as pretty as it, the village is tiny and only really made up of one of one main street. I hadn't considered the possibility of getting the train into Salzburg for the day (even though that's how we got to and from the resort). Will look into Zell some more.

I also love the sound of the mountain train in Switzerland and the moving pavements in Italy. Will suggest them all to the family and see where they fancy.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, thank you.

Zell town centre is pleasant, and you obviously know about the lake - if it ever freezes again it's spectacular (saw ice yachts on it back in the 80s).

Supposedly there's a Porsche on the bottom...

Seems that it's about 90mins on the train to Salzburg; Kitzbuhel is also close - 45 mins by train from Zell. Also a pleasant town centre.

The train in Switzerland is certainly fascinating - never got to go up the Jungfrau (that's not cheap), but used it 4/6 days from Lauterbrunnen. A bit slow... 2/6 days went up the Murren side. The restaurant (two cable cars from Murren) is spectacular, and you can ski out of it (great run, the first part is fairly steep). The whole Wengen/Murren/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald area is pretty unique
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette Are you planning to fly/drive, fly/transfer, or drive down? Or are you open to all options? Would your non-skiers be prepared to do some excursions (say, to a nearby town/city) or will they just prefer to stay in the resort? Does everyone intend to ski every day, or are some of the skiers happy to take a day out, perhaps to accompany the non-skier somewhere (even if it's just a wander 'round the resort)? Would a driver in the group be prepared to take a day out, and do a driving excursion somewhere interesting locally (weather permitting)?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy