Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Pyrenees for 4 weeks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, As some of you may know JanetS and I have more time than money nowadays, but after abandoning our jobs in Chamonix when Covid hit we are looking at getting a bit of a ski fix this coming winter. We are thinking of heading down to southern Spain for some sun for a couple of months late Autumn / early winter, and thinking we could stop on the way home for some skiing, perhaps 4 weeks after the New Year period. The only skiing we have done in the Pyrenees was our CSIA in Andorra, but having a look on AirBNB it seems that some of the French Pyrenees resorts have some dirt cheap accomodation - some in the £500 - £600 range for 4 weeks! This is our sort of price - but does anyone have any info on French Pyrenees resorts? We know they are not the 3 Valleys or Ski Amade, but we are happy skiing pistes, off-pistes, and perhaps a bit of touring so low key smaller resorts not a problem. Any advice where to look at please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My brother swears by Baqueira, though I'm not sure it will fall into the cheap category. If you don't mind driving up to the skiing each day, then you may find somewhere cheap in or around nearby Beret.

The only other place I've skied in the Pyrenees is St Lary, and it was pretty good actually. Fairly big ski area. Neither of them are the Alps, but they're not too bad.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bareges / La Mongie is the biggest ski area isn't it?

There's a gondola up to and a well-favoured off piste route down from the observatory at the Pic du Midi de Bigorre
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does ingarburewetrust still have a hotel in Bareges? Anyway. If he's still on here try a PM..he will have all the answers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Mongie/Barege is bigger than most people imagine. The town below Barege is Luz St Saveur this would make an ideal base. Some will recollect that the tour de France stage from Tourmalet finishes at a station called Luz Ardidden, so access to this area is obvious.
We did our first ski touring based in ...St Saveur, the guide would collect us from the hotel then drive to the days location.
I think we did a climb opposite Cauterets.
I'm confident that there is plenty to go at during a 4 week stay in the area.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timmycb5, Baquiera looks a bit pricey for us, the ridiculous french system of dirt cheap in low season, super expensive in their holidays works better for us.
@nbt, @Rogerdodger, Bareges looks a good possibility - 4 weeks low season in January comes in at £600-£1000, including some ski-in ski-out apartments. Will investigate further!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been on my radar for some time

Great combination of
interesting skiing
Plenty of variety (number of resorts rather than mega sized single resort)
Great snow record
Not too many people
Great value for money
Top notch food

Enjoy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plus one for Le Grand Tourmalet area. If you stay in St Saveur (or Bareges), you have the Luz Ardiden, Cauterets (delightful Belle Epoque spa town) and Gavarnie ski areas within half an hour's drive. Tourmalet and Gavarnie especially have lots of easily-accessible off-piste and the latter is often near-deserted as it really is the end of the line...
https://www.valleesdegavarnie.com/winter/my-adventures/ski-touring-and-freerando
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy