Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any good vineyards worth a stop? OP: Good places for a stopover between Calais and the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
The missus keen on Troyes but struggling to find somewhere with half decent reviews and any availability. Any other ideas?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-08-21 12:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Val Moret full?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Le Val Moret? Just off the A5 Jct.22 near Troyes. Great restaurant and a swimming pool and spa. I like you can park a car full of valuables right outside the room. City centres are OK but often mean leaving the car exposed or sometimes in a public car park. If you’re not going to go sightseeing, then somewhere near the autoroute is preferable.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 19-08-21 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends on what you're looking for I suppose - We normally just go cheap-as-chips and get a Premiere Classe or similar Travelshed equivalent - close to the AR as possible - normally next to a lorry park. Done Reimes too depending on what time we get into France. Similarly on the way back we'll either stop in Macon or Dijon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are stopping in Reims on the way down (mainly because we are leaving late on Friday due to school obligations) and the Lyon on the way back (mainly so we can get a final decent day's skiing in). The plan is for no roof box and we will bring in all of our luggage into the room.

Staying at ibis budget Reims Thillois in Reims and Logis Lyon Est Porte de l'Ain in Lyon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Ibis Styles is ok in Troyes. However we tend to drive a bit further to the Novotel in Beaune (or sometimes use Novotel Dijon Sud)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Booked last family room at Val Moret. Thanks all!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we tend to cross (ferry) in the morning and get down below Bourg en Bresse (Ibis budget at Chateau Gaillard) for early evening, it is what it is and nothing around it - but a couple of miles away towards Amberieu-en-Bugey there's a couple of eateries (we like the B52 bar-pizzeria) and an intermarche 24fuel. A bit of a push and exactly one tank of fuel from our Calais fill up - leaves an easy couple of hours into the mountains
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
the wonder of snowHeads!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, For future reference. We stayed at the Hotel Relais Saint Jean Troyes, slap bang in the middle of Troyes, ie the picture post card bit, and it also has an underground car park which was the old wine cellar.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, if it's a weekend, I recommend booking dinner now rather than waiting and finding you can only get a table at an inconvenient time. The restaurant is as popular as the hotel.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
the wonder of snowHeads!

Madam wanted to stay at the Ibis in the centre. “Why do you trust your imaginary internet friends over me?” Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maison Seraphine just north of Reims in Laon
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@FrediKanoute, good god why? Just book secure parking
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
@BobinCH, if it's a weekend, I recommend booking dinner now rather than waiting and finding you can only get a table at an inconvenient time. The restaurant is as popular as the hotel.

Was told restaurant reservation comes with the booking so hopefully we’ll be ok!
snow conditions
One of my imaginary internet friends wrote:
“Why do you trust your imaginary internet friends over me?” Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@BobInCH Just steer clear of the Andouilette, unless you're particularly keen on pig's colon. And yes, unless you eat it promptly, it does smell of what you'd expect from a pig's colon. All the rest of the fare is delicious, including the vegetarian option.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 19-08-21 17:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@BobinCH, if you want to stay in Troyes itself, look for Hotel St Georges. It is a very old building converted to apartments with a courtyard for parking. Really lovely and really friendly. THey were the only place to take a booking from us when France went into lockdown. I guess because of their layout. Breakfast is served to your room/apartment if you want it. Expensive though for what you get, and there's a really good boulangerie nearby.
ski holidays
PS. I have to be the only one on here who would not go back to Val Moret.
latest report
Kyriad Troyes Centre. Its a 7min walk to the centre, petrol station next door and underground parking at the Hotel. We have used it about 4 times. We usually arrive Thursday evening and spend Friday in Troys. Refreshed for the Saturday drive.
latest report
harrim51 wrote:
Kyriad Troyes Centre. Its a 7min walk to the centre, petrol station next door and underground parking at the Hotel. We have used it about 4 times. We usually arrive Thursday evening and spend Friday in Troys. Refreshed for the Saturday drive.

Just looked at our booking "it's only 161 days until you stay here!" snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
No idea why it reposted

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 19-08-21 20:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
PS. I have to be the only one on here who would not go back to Val Moret.

Nope. I was also pretty disappointed on the one and only time I went there. But I believe we both have a fondness for a certain Logis hotel in Matouges so I guess our tastes are similar. I think someone mentioned it above but the refurbished Novotel in Beaune is also very good.
snow report
@Raceplate, absolutely correct. Just looking at booking it for our return in September.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@Raceplate, absolutely correct. Just looking at booking it for our return in September.

I've just booked it for my return next week! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Raceplate, booked it too even though we're taking our campervan, as hubby needs to be online all day on Friday 24th, so not setting off until Sat morning. Too much faff to camp then put up awning (need it for dogs), and then find dinner, so just saying sod it and booking the Auberge. Happy
ski holidays
Also in Troyes - Zenao aparthotel. An old people’s home (honest!) with a wing that they use as apartments for rent. Off street parking, simple cooking facilities in your room, pet friendly….
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I second the Kyriad in Troyes it is excellent have stayed loads of times
latest report
@Hells Bells, I mean , yeah Val Moret's not a grand hotel or anything, but for us its the first place we look to when travelling south.
Clean, convenient - literally 100 m from the M-way exit -, beautiful evening walks, good Champagne selection ("house" is rotated amongst local growers), petrol available a few km 'inland' at good prices, secure bike lock-up, swimming facilities if you want them (we generally don't) and a onsite quality restaurant with a terrace. Breaks the journey without making a 'thing' of it. Meets the needs so to speak, and not had a poor experience yet.

Of course, if we can't get in, there are others in that neck of the woods, and the above advice from the estimable SH is always a good guide.

Travelling North, well, we rely on a wider range of choices, closer to the Tunnel - but we've a couple of favourites, both well off the beaten track, and small, but well known and loved by repeat customers: always a pleasure to meet new people who've used them for years, as well as knowing the proprietors and who can point out various local diversions and 'must sees'. I suspect they're more akin to your southbound Logis.
ski holidays
Have just extended our return by a week to try out all these hotels Very Happy
snow conditions
We must have been lucky as we have never had a problem staying at the Val Moret, and I think we have stayed rather a lot of times over the years, in both directions. We don’t normally bother with breakfast as usually on our way and just make a quick Earl Grey in the room and a fresh flask of coffee. Last time in July we were on a much more leisurely trip and had breakfast each way. That was extremely well organised and not so much of a bun fight. Also stayed at the Logis in Matoges a few times and enjoyed that. We used to dive into a Premiere Classe years ago for a few hours kip, but as they increased in price may as well spend a touch more and moved to the Campanile or Novotel too.
snow report
As per title update, any good vineyards worth a stop between Reims and Dijon? Prefer red or white rather than bubbles.
ski holidays
Dunno about vineyards, but there's always that sign on the A5 which says "Big Lake of Champagne" - so you could always pack your French approved skimpy-trunks and dive in!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, they will be mainly champagne ones in that area. Some nice (expensive ones) between Dijon and Beaune. Beaujolais a littlf further south is a little more affordable.
latest report
Many areas do a 3-day weekend «Fête» where all the caves in the area are open and you can do a tour. We just happened to be at the Val Moret when their local one was on and you could buy a book of tasting tickets, each ticket entitling you to a small glass from each producer. Included in the price was a small glass with the event logo on it. Locals had a neck chain with a clamp for the glass, that could be clipped in and out. It would actually have been impossible to use all the tickets in one session, unless you wanted to get alcohol poisoning, so I guess the idea wass to use the over the 3 days if you wanted, testing around ten a day.

It might be worth doing some Internet searches for the areas you are transiting to see if something similar is on in any of them. It was much better than turning up randomly at a vineyard/cave, and we found it more relaxed, as there's less pressure than when you're the only people in the shop, or they've opened-up especially for you.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 20-08-21 20:50; edited 4 times in total
latest report
Chablis is good for a walk round the Grand Cru vineyards just outside the village if it is dry and then several places to buy wine in the village.
snow report
We are hopefully checking out Nuit St Georges this year. They have L'imaginarium doing tours and selling loads of Burgundy wine and Le Cassissium selling all things blackcurrant, including the liquer for Kir Royal.
snow report
Tournus, Bourgogne, a gastro paradise in the heart of the Bourgone on the Saône.

And only five mins off the A6 autoroute.

Some fine hotels as well as some very fine restaurants, that said we stayed in the old station hotel a few times, think it was the Terminus and well priced, but you can be seriously tempted to push the boat out etc

Vignerons / vineyards https://www.lesvigneronsdemancey.fr/
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
As per title update, any good vineyards worth a stop between Reims and Dijon? Prefer red or white rather than bubbles.

Strange question - Chablis of course (also for a stay)

chablisienne.com has all the local goods from grand cru’s to EUR 5 a bottle
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy