Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Check your UK passports!

Poster: A snowHead
Apparently a friend of a friend got turned away at the airport for her passport being invalid, despite it expiring Jun 2022 on the actual passport!

Checking the gov.uk website shows this little gem

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passport-rules-for-travel-to-europe

Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave. If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum period needed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep...another B word gift. Was discussed a lot last year
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Useful information. Many thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe many countries have adopted these rules for many years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@countryman, correct but when we were in the EU it didn't apply for EU travel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The "good" think is that the Passport office no longer adds extra months onto passports on renewal, so if you renewed in the last couple of years, your expiry date is consistent with the 10-yr rule.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdave wrote:
The "good" think is that the Passport office no longer adds extra months onto passports on renewal, so if you renewed in the last couple of years, your expiry date is consistent with the 10-yr rule.

But you do now have to have one of those awful blue things, courtesy of our esteemed leader. Thankfully I still have another six years before having that imposed on me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How can a passport be " awful " ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's the blueness that's awful - a direct consequence and reminder of the disaster that is Br***t.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@195062, +1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, it is the date of issue that counts not the date of expiry. So now to Feb 23 for us instead of June. The gift that keeps on giving.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just taken the plunge to renew two of the children’s passports as they expire in June which would mean problems for our trips after January. Was going to book for October half-term but Passport Office suggests a mere 10 week wait for them Shocked Shocked
That takes us to midway through the break Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowsartre, is that 10 weeks allowance from the article of 6 April 2021 on the HM Passport website?

Edit - I see its also present on the current online application page! Not good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I ALWAYS make an appointment and go in person for my passport. I'd never leave it to the postal applications, even though pre-covid they were apparently very quick
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a site that collects crowd sourced renewal times indicating times on average are currently a lot lower than 10 weeks,

www.passportwaitingtime.co.uk
ski holidays
@ster, will be adding that link to my favourites Very Happy @holidayloverxx, does not fit well with my work patterns and location online pre-Brexit was hassle free.
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, hopefully on-line will be quick. I seem to recall a few years ago with on-line applications for first passports for our kids and renewals were done in a matter of days in terms of approvals and a few days more to arrive in the post. I can’t see why covid would hugely change that.

Good luck. I’ll be renewing ours soon too, lets hope there will be opportunities to use them.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-08-21 16:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ster, thanks - I read that most of the staff were still WFH, don't ask me how! And this was causing delays. And, yes, here's to being able to use them next winter! And beyond..
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:
I read that most of the staff were still WFH, don't ask me how!

Quite easilly I'd have thought. OK, the team employed to open the envelopes and pass everything through the scanner will still need to be in the 'office' but from there everything's zeros and ones that can pass as easily over the Internet to someone's laptop at home as the office network to the same laptop in the office.
ski holidays
I renewed three passports a couple of months ago (mine, a 15 & a 17 year old) online, and they came back in two-three weeks. Fingers crossed yours will be similar.
snow report
Quote:

hopefully on-line will be quick. I seem to recall a few years ago with on-line applications for first passports for our kids and renewals were done in a matter of days in terms of approvals and a few days more to arrive in the post

Renewed mine online recently - arrived 12 days later!!
ski holidays
Did mine online at the begining of the year and it arrived in less than a week.
snow report
@Snowsartre, some real life SH experience to take comfort from:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156128&highlight=
ski holidays
@ster, thanks for sharing; vacillating between going and not going in October, regardless of passports; fly or self-drive? So much uncertainty, so much anxiety; festivals and the imminent return to school = fourth and, biggest, wave?

On the plus side Canada going green but probably peaked too soon for January trip.

If only skiing wasn't so good!
snow conditions
Applied for both kids renewals on-line. One lodged on Sunday, one on Monday as had to take another picture as when loading both on Sunday one was indicated as likely to be rejected ( background too dark).

Then got the under 12’s id confirmed on-line by an appropriate worthy on Monday. (Oddly not needed if over 12)

Sent both their docs today to passport office by post as required (current passport and other passport held - hopefully those will come back) using next day guaranteed, tracked and signed for delivery.

Will see how long it now takes.
ski holidays
@ster, 9 year old's passport and 16 year old's first ten year passport both received by (separate) HM Passport Offices (Glasgow and Peterborough respectively) two weeks' ago. Total silence thereafter so not in keeping with some other snowHead experience but happy to wait a week or two longer before booking an October half-term ski trip as can't help feeling the world is about to get Covid crazy again - be interested to see if the vaccination of 12-15 year olds in schools starts next Monday as my spies tell me it will....
snow report
What's an October half term ski trip, @Snowsartre?
ski holidays
@pam w, err a ski holiday in October? Apologies if I am being dense?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
What's an October half term ski trip?
Glaciers R Us eh Snowsartre?
Over the years, we've had some fantastic, fresh-snow conditions on late-October trips to the glaciers at Tignes, Hintertux and Kaprun - but also some more marginal/challenging conditions (think hardest of hardpack, with slick bits).

Regardless, we've still had a great time - it's great to get some early doors turns in amidst autumnal mountain colours.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 7-09-21 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:

Tignes glacier advertised in resort as planning to open on 16 Oct - not sure who to!
snow report
Grinning wrote:
Snowsartre wrote:

Tignes glacier advertised in resort as planning to open on 16 Oct - not sure who to!

The French. They will drive up from all the sourounding citys en masse. Having guided French clients this summer there is a certain urgency amongs the population to go skiing. Last winter the resorts were open but no ski lifts. But any time the french could go to the resorts, they filled them!
snow report
At risk of returning to the topic at hand, an update. Royal Mail have over delivered and got the doc ls delivered this morning well ahead of 1pm. Now to see how long the Passport office take to process and issue the new passports (assuming all is in order) and to return the documents that need returning.
snow report
I will need a new passport by mid 2022. Only slot between trips is after a mid January ski trip and an exotic holiday early March. Will have to forego a ski trip early February as will need to wait for the new passport. Unbelievable.

I renewed my mothers Irish passport a couple of years ago. Took her photo with my iphone and uploaded it and did a brief application. She received it a few days later. Would definitely become Irish if the wife could too!
snow report
@hawkesbaynz, My wife had similar issue so decided to use the 7 day premium service. Expensive at £177 and a pain in *** to have to collect in person at a Passport Office but at least we have certainty within what was a tight window.
ski holidays
@hawkesbaynz, Can't you just apply earlier - i.e. November ? :: remember, you should have a least 6 months left before expiry
snow report
Am in Antigua in November then PSB in December. First world problems! Need the new passport for having 6 months on the Passport for a cruise in march from Miami. May have to go down the 7 day premium service

Am also worried about a shiny new passport dropping through the letter box. The labrador puppy currently eating the post Shocked
latest report
You can check on gov.com when you have to get it done. Mine expires March 22 BUT it tells me that I will be unable to use after September. Sad
latest report
OH used the on-line service. Completed form on 31st August, added a photo and posted her old passport. New passport received 7th September. Excellent service.
snow conditions
Progress so far, Royal Mail tracking shows the docs as having been signed for on 8th, Passport office acknowledged these today so 3 working days from delivery to acknowledgement of receipt. (Oddly both sets are acknowledged, got emails as such for both but only a text for one).
latest report
I renewed my passport a couple of months ago and it was hand delivered by a courier in a plain van, some subsidiary of TNT. He would only deliver to me personally at my address and photographed me holding the package at my door. Yet I have heard people say about passports being pushed through letterboxes, even the wrong ones. Why the variation ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy