Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The winter 21/22 insurance thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Bob, that is worthy of a new thread - lot of people will bee keen to know
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I go to the MPI website:

https://retail.mpibrokers.com/#/start

It says:
Quote:
MPI is in the process of changing insurers and as a result this site will be down for updating and maintenance.

You can still access YourMPI account to view your current and older policies, however you won’t be able to obtain a new quote or purchase a policy quite yet, while we amend the site to accommodate the new updated insurance.

If you require an amendment to a current ‘live’ policy please email info@mpibrokers.com.

If you would like to obtain a policy for an imminent trip, please use the following links to obtain an insurance from one of three other providers with whom we are working.

And there are three links to other providers.

Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne,
Click on the link, takes you to one of the PJ Harman companys (travel specific insurance), Looks like MPI are referring.

I have used PJ harman before, without issue, or claim.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK.
Had a reply this morning from MPI.
Looks like MPI brokers are still in the process of getting their own agreements in place. In the meantime rather than leaving everyone hanging they have engaged with a like provider. The links on their website direct you to a provided which they feel will meet the majority of MPI customer needs, maintain MPIs values.

I have used PJ Harman previously so years ago (early '0's) without problem (actually without claim),they are travel-specific and have a 'track record'.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @Bob, wondered if I was going a bit nuts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bob wrote:
Looks like MPI brokers are still in the process of getting their own agreements in place

Without wishing to overly call them out, this has been the story for over nine months. At the ski show in B'ham two months ago they were telling people "next week". If they haven't managed to replace their underwriting by now, at technically their peak sales opportunity, the chances only get slimmer. So I wouldn't hold your breath.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think it's been over nine months, I'm sure when I liked for insurance last year for Dec 2020 they were not offering anything
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some real life feedback for everyone on LV insurance. I decided to go for them after reading this thread after using MPI for a number of years, and have already had cause to claim on my policy.

Popped out to Val Thorens a few weeks ago for the Grand Premiere - unfortunately my bag with all my clothing and snowboard in it didn't make it on the flight, and was delivered to me about 36 hours later.

Had a bit of a shopping trip at a Decathlon on the way to resort to kit myself out so that I could get out on the snow the next day (jacket, trousers, base layer, gloves, buff, socks, hat) and also some other essential supplies and clothing from a supermarket, and then hired board and boots for the day in resort.

Filled in their forms on return, sent it all off, and all the money has been refunded with no quibble at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jonnyboy93, that is very reassuring. We have also gone to LV this year after many years with MPI. And you get to keep a bit of new stuff too.
I remember when OHs bag was delayed getting to Vancouver when we were going to Whistler and he was able to buy new clothing, that would be near his body but I think he had to hire a jacket. And he could hire boots. Skis were going to be hired anyway. What was annoying was he had two identical Delsey suitcases as he had been working for two weeks prior to going to Whistler and yes, the suitcase with all the business suits etc arrived ok but not the one with ski clothing. I remember that trip well as I flew to meet him and I got the upgrade on the way over.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone live in Wales and managed to find insurance? I'm asking because the Welsh government continues to advise against 'all but essential travel' (reiterated today just as we were beginning to have hope about our trip) which seems to rule out most insurance. Having looked at our policy there is a general exclusion on travel to a destination where the FCO or local authorities have advised against travel for 'all but essential reasons'. The Welsh government could probably be defined as a local authority so therefore any claim for any reason would be invalid. So our insurance (and any other travel insurance as most have similar clauses) might be invalid. We are going to check tomorrow as I can't believe that the entire Welsh population can't get travel insurance but wondered if anyone else Welsh had come across this?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bastathecat I believe that the Nationwide Flex Plus travel insurance provides cover so long as the FCO advice is not against 'all travel'. You do, however, need a Nationwide account to qualify.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi there travelling to Italy on 15th (dolomites) and just started reading this thread as we’ll need insurance.

Do any policies people have used actually cover for ‘getting covid’ and not being able to travel?

The LV one folks are taking about is there a specific link or should I just search LV?

Son is diabetic type 1 so if anyone has any other recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA Neil.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LV (as do most insurers) cover for a traveller getting Covid but there are other things not covered.

Here is what they do and don't cover.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:
LV (as do most insurers) cover for a traveller getting Covid but there are other things not covered.

Here is what they do and don't cover.

Thanks very much, just bought LV cover very reasonable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi All

My son and I are hoping to ski in Italy at half term and I've been told that as of Jan 2022 my travel insurance and winter sports cover must include third party liability and I'm really struggling to find an insurer who provides this. Have tried various ones on the comparison sites as well as Staysure and insure and Go (usual insurer) and so far no one seems to provide it.

Does anyone know of a UK insure who does?

Thanks
snow conditions
@mauddib, I'm fairly sure all insurance policies cover 3rd party ?

It usually called 'personal liability'

e.g. from insureandgo

"H - Personal liability
What you are covered for
We will pay up to the amount shown in the table of benefits if
you are legally responsible for:
1. You accidentally injuring someone; or
2. You damaging or losing somebody else’s property"
snow report
Hmmmm, that's odd cos I rang Insure and Go earlier today and they said they don't cover it Puzzled That's from their policy docs is it?

Will call them again in the AM
ski holidays
@albob, I agree ... it's part of the basic cover ... same as a Car !
ski holidays
@mauddib, Yes - direct quote

Have a read -- https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/policy-wording
ski holidays
LV would not cover me for my existing heart condition. (I had a heart attack in 2020 and had a stent fitted). They would cover me for everything else.

Got accepted by SAGA. Not cheap, £174 for single trip (2weeks) cover; but includes all existing conditions and if I catch covid over there. Includes £2m third party/liability, which the Italians apparently now require. Had to try and explain that it wasn't through a tour operator. That was fun. Still, the main thing is I'm now covered. Now for the PreBB/BB double. snowHead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, I have just taken out an annual policy with LV (mainly for their covid cover) :: I did notice that you could choose not to declare pre-existing conditions (without any cover for those obviously..) ; Unlike yours, mine are minor and I was tempted to just leave them out - didn't in the end because they only add £8.00 to the cost..
snow report
LV doesn't cover if the government puts Austria on the red list. Unlikely, but who knows for a month's time.

Anyone found a policy which does provide cover for the FCO reducing access to "essential only"?
snow report
@TopGooner, never used them but have a look at avanti and staysure
snow conditions
@albob, LV was £113 excluding my existing conditions. I'm just happy I managed to get insured.
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, Ouch...
snow report
So, I went with LV in the end and on my first flight using it, my suitcase has not made it with me. BA did at least text me to tell me, but obviously only received this on arrival.

My board bag made it, but suitcase containing food, majority of clothes and toiletries, all my padded gear (shorts, knee and back protectors) and my preferred jacket & trousers is still in UK.

As BA don't fly to Vancouver today, I've been informed I won't be getting it until after Monday's flight at the earliest. Because of Canada's arrival testing and quarantine requirements, there's not an awful lot I can do today, but if it were you, would you be looking to buy / rent stuff at earliest convenience so that you can make a claim?! Puzzled
snow report
@jebroni3_16, I'd be contacting LV to see what they will authorise
ski holidays
I know what their website implies I can do (up to £250 for rental / purchase of items to get me through until baggage arrives)

I have a voucher from BA for a day's hire of snowboard boots and jacket / trousers, although this really should be for two days as my vaccination status / quarantine situation should presumably not impact upon this.

What I'm really interested in is what other people's mentality would be in the same situation. Deliberately leaving this as open as possible.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jebroni3_16, I don't understand the question then..

"Would you be looking to buy / rent stuff at earliest convenience so that you can make a claim?"
snow report
OK. I was trying to keep it short, sweet and simple, in order to get a sense of how others would react if they found themselves in my situation, without saying anything further to try to avoid prejudicing others' responses, but maybe this will help?

I have a voucher from BA for a day's hire equipment, which I will use if only to be bloody minded and cost them a bit of money seeing as they've inconvenienced me.

However, I'm genuinely undecided whether to also open a claim via my insurance which would permit me to hire / purchase equipment, clothes, food, contact lens solution etc or not.

Arguably, I've paid for insurance, I find myself in a situation where I qualify / am entitled to claim, but is that good enough reason to do so?

Ignoring the potential impact on my own future premiums (unclear whether it even works a bit like car insurance and these may be effected), arguably claims in a situation like mine do little other than push up premiums for others.

Does that make more sense?
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
OK. I was trying to keep it short, sweet and simple, in order to get a sense of how others would react if they found themselves in my situation, without saying anything further to try to avoid prejudicing others' responses, but maybe this will help?

I have a voucher from BA for a day's hire equipment, which I will use if only to be bloody minded and cost them a bit of money seeing as they've inconvenienced me.

However, I'm genuinely undecided whether to also open a claim via my insurance which would permit me to hire / purchase equipment, clothes, food, contact lens solution etc or not.

Arguably, I've paid for insurance, I find myself in a situation where I qualify / am entitled to claim, but is that good enough reason to do so?

Ignoring the potential impact on my own future premiums (unclear whether it even works a bit like car insurance and these may be effected), arguably claims in a situation like mine do little other than push up premiums for others.

Does that make more sense?

Your insurance will likely expect you to reclaim costs back from BA where possible, which will include using the hire voucher from them. It looks like you can purchase essentials and claim the cost back from BA:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-02-22 18:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
What I did when this happened was to pop on a quick call to LV to explain the situation and start a claim, then went shopping for the stuff I needed, then hired stuff the next day.

They paid out for a variety of stuff, snow clothing (jacket, trousers, base layer, fleece top, hat, gloves, socks) and also normal clothes, toiletries, medication and some teabags! Bit more info in the post I made earlier in his thread on 24th dec…

As far as I know, claiming on travel insurance does not affect the renewal price, never has for me, and never asked if you have claimed previously.
snow report
Thanks @jonnyboy93

I had seen your post previously, so I had a rough idea what side of the claim fence you were sitting on. That was one of the reasons I was also trying to avoid making any reference to whether others would feel it is "right" to do so as opposed to asking that question more directly.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Your insurance will likely expect you to reclaim costs back from BA where possible, which will include using the hire voucher from them. It looks like you can purchase essentials and claim the cost back from BA:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/lost-and-damaged-baggage/making-baggage-claims

I'd expect my insurer to try to avoid paying out and would understand their argument for encouraging me to seek direct recompense from the airline who have freely admitted responsibility (although not disclosed why it occurred)

Funnily enough, there was absolutely no mention by BA of anything other than my ski / snowboard stuff, but I guess my main intention of posting was to see what others think they would do if they were in my situation, rather than what they'd suggest I do.

A relative of mine, for example, instantly used the word compensation...
latest report
Looking for single trip to Europe cover for me and partner any people would recommend. We're no longer MCof S members so can't access BMC which was always good (apart from when we had our brief foray in boarding Very Happy )

We take our own skis that are reasonably new so looking for decent cover for equipment, rescue and Covid (assuming the Covid cover is pretty standard across them all). Also we may be technically off piste but no out of resort full on off piste
ski holidays
bastathecat wrote:
Anyone live in Wales and managed to find insurance? I'm asking because the Welsh government continues to advise against 'all but essential travel' (reiterated today just as we were beginning to have hope about our trip) which seems to rule out most insurance. Having looked at our policy there is a general exclusion on travel to a destination where the FCO or local authorities have advised against travel for 'all but essential reasons'. The Welsh government could probably be defined as a local authority so therefore any claim for any reason would be invalid. So our insurance (and any other travel insurance as most have similar clauses) might be invalid. We are going to check tomorrow as I can't believe that the entire Welsh population can't get travel insurance but wondered if anyone else Welsh had come across this?

No - this does not at all rule out most (probably any) insurers. Read the policy terms carefully. Most insurers will not cover you if the FCDO advises against travel, although some will for an additional fee and some specialise in this (I use a specialist for work).

"Local authorities" refers to the authority (Government) where you choose to travel not where you have come from. If the FCDO does not advise against travel but the Italian Government bans tourists, for example, you would not be covered for a skiing holiday in Italy.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, got to say I am also in the confused camp. Why would it not be *right* to claim from insurance for something that is covered by the policy?

As others said it won't it any renewal price afaik.
ski holidays
MCL wrote:
We take our own skis that are reasonably new so looking for decent cover for equipment

Waste of time IMO as they don't cover new for old. They will just make a valuation which probably won't match yours. I had a conversation with a Snowcard rep a few years ago who fessed that he didn't take this cover.
latest report
Layne wrote:
@jebroni3_16, got to say I am also in the confused camp. Why would it not be *right* to claim from insurance for something that is covered by the policy?

As others said it won't it any renewal price afaik.

Playing Devil's Advocate: because BA have provided me with a voucher for a day's hire equipment (although it should really be for two days) and because the rest of the stuff *should* be turning up in 48 hours' time.

That's what one of my friend's response was. As I said, a relative was at the other end of the spectrum and instantly mentioned compensation.

Seeing as I've got at least a day to kill in the hotel, I was just interested in seeing what the consensus on here would be.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
dode wrote:
Quote:

Anyone used Staysure?

@skilegs, I came here to ask the exact same question. We usually use NFU and have found them to be excellent, but they only cover for covid medical costs when you are on holiday. Hopefully this will not be required after being double vaccinated. They don't cover for missed flights in either direction (and associated costs) should you test positive for the 48hr pre-flight test, which is our biggest concern. The girl at NFU recommended Staysure to us saying they do cover this.

The off-piste wording seems a bit fuzzy:
"skiing or snowboarding (off-piste but within the confines of the ski resort on recognised and authorised areas only)"
I'm not sure what would count as a "recognised and authorised area".

Someone on another site has just pointed out that there's a rather more significant potential flaw in the Staysure cover. The policy document says:

"You are not covered when engaging in organised competitions, or when engaging in an activity against local authoritative warning or advice.
Resort authorities classify avalanche risk as follows: 1 = Low, 2= Moderate, 3= Considerable, 4= High, 5 = Very High. You are not covered in areas classified as avalanche rating 3 or above."

Does that mean that you won't be covered even on piste if the avalanche risk in resort is 3? Surely that would rule out most skiing Puzzled

Policy document is here if anyone wants to see the above text in context:

https://dxcdkie9wax5t.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/13113403/Staysure-Travel-Insurance-PD-DEC21-V13-WEB.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy