Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
At last a chance of some snow at the end of the month early Feb. Let’s see if it develops

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The tendering process has started for the new lift that connects Valtournenche to Cervinia (due to be built this summer ready for next season). The new six person covered lift will replace that long button lift that runs along the ridge connecting the two Italian areas. Anyone who has frozen to death getting slowly dragged along the ridge as the winds whip across will be delighted to see the new lift.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a little question for anyone currently out there, when it was announced that orange zone regulations would be enforced, the lift company were quick to say that passes would be limited as a result, has this been the case? Have people been actually refused when trying to buy a pass for the day?

I don't mind buying in advance, and collecting when I arrive - only thing is I don't want to shell out for the international pass if the link then turns out to be shut due to high winds etc, leading to my second question, what's the threshold in terms of wind speed for them to close the link?

I came back from zermatt to cervinia in early 2020 in some high fairly winds, and it was pretty "interesting" to say the least!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We booked ours in advance to make sure we got them. When we collected our passes from the office there was a bit of beef in front of us with people seemingly refused tickets but no other evidence of the lift pass limit. Most people in the queue at the ticket office were waving around smartphones with their QR codes for ticket collection.

The link is open and at a guess, not much change with the current settled conditions. We haven't seen any of the drags in operation at the top on the Swiss side though, IIRC, these are for summer use.

Very spring-like at present and chilled skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ptex,

Thanks for that, think I'll def pre book the night before to be certain, would be just my luck to finally make it after all this and then be refused a lift pass!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And the prospect of snow at month end still looks good and improving.

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope this is OK to post.
We changed our trip last minute from cervinia to val thorens. Our deposit on the cervinia accomodation has been held by the owner, however they have said that if we want to use it for another trip this season, we can. It can only be for this winter season.

I would like for someone else to use this deposit if possible? Deposit is 420. The accomodation is hotel Perruquet. The owner has said the deposit is transferable to anyone.

Please contact me here or on WhatsApp 00353 87293 7613, if you could use this deposit
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from a fantastic week in Cervinia - great skiing, and particularly enjoyed popping over to the swiss side when the link was open.

FFP2 masks were strictly enforced in Italy, not so much on the Swiss side (just any face covering) - and vaccination QR codes were asked for in restaurants on both sides.

In Cervinia, at the weekend, you had to have paid for your lift pass online and redeem the QR code at the ticket office - you weren't allowed to just buy it at the ticket office - this messed up several in our group and delayed us an extra 30mins on day 1. Not sure if this is related to what @ptex saw.

The difference in weather (in particular wind) between the neighbouring resorts was a bit of an eye-opener - we had a couple of days where the the bottom chair in Cervinia was shut due to winds up the mountain, even though it was completely still in town. One day we tried to wait it out before talking the walk over to the bubble to do the limited run down to the bubble, until everything opened up. The second day this happened we took to the early call to drive over to Valtournenche, where there was no wind at all, and played around in that area in the glorious sunshine.

The food was great, the people were fantastic, skiing was great (the run from the top of the mountain down to the bubble in Valtournenche was brilliant), and the town overall was great. It's just the issue with the wind that might put us off going again - a couple in our group were also out the week before and could only do limited skiing due to winds shutting the majority of lifts on a couple of days. Not sure if we were just unlucky or if this is an ongoing problem.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Handy Turnip, good to hear. Hotel food at least passable then?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
twoodwar wrote:
@Handy Turnip, good to hear. Hotel food at least passable then?

The breakfasts definitely were - lots of choice. We ate out in the evenings though, lots of great restaurants on the doorstep.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers. Glad you enjoyed it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
caughtanedge wrote:
Can anyone in Zermatt now or recently give any feedback on crowding/covid behaviour, for example on the electro buses, the morning queue for the Matterhorn Express or Sunnegga lifts etc?

... and numbers in the big cable cars (Hohtälli, Rothorn)?
Arriving on 19th February which is obviously a busy week.
I've asked the Tourist Office about this - they pointed me to the lift company. Waiting for an answer....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
caughtanedge wrote:
caughtanedge wrote:
Can anyone in Zermatt now or recently give any feedback on crowding/covid behaviour, for example on the electro buses, the morning queue for the Matterhorn Express or Sunnegga lifts etc?

... and numbers in the big cable cars (Hohtälli, Rothorn)?
Arriving on 19th February which is obviously a busy week.
I've asked the Tourist Office about this - they pointed me to the lift company. Waiting for an answer....

There were no restrictions on numbers in any of the big cable cars in Zermatt last week, we were packed in like sardines as normal - however everyone was wearing masks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a 'reply' from the lift company, directing me to their website. Slightly tucked away is this statement:

"In closed vehicles with no seating possibilities and with a capacity of more than 25 persons, the capacity per vehicle will be limited to 70% of the capacity."

As this can be easily controlled by the access gates, it will be interesting to see if they're set to those figures.

As for the sardine-buses, the Tourist Office say:

"Wearing the mask is compulsory on the buses and only certain numbers of people are allowed on the bus".

'Certain numbers'.... whatever happened to Swiss precision?
Anyway, they've given me contact details for the bus operators...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Splashed out on Cœur des Alpes for the 12th Feb week-end. Can’t wait to get back to Zermatt snowHead
snow report
Saw “La Liste everything or nothing” in Vevey last night. Zermatts’s finest mountain guide, Sam Anthamatten put on quite a show! Highly recommend
snow conditions
Monday into Tuesday is not quite into the confident timeframe yet but at last a decent chunk of snow looks to be on its way. This January high pressure over Europe has been very annoying.

snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Splashed out on Cœur des Alpes for the 12th Feb week-end. Can’t wait to get back to Zermatt snowHead

Not sure if you've stayed there before BUT you will absolutely love it. Stunning hotel and fantastic hosts.
snow report
@JohnMo, it’s looking a bit better. A bit spikier
snow report
Arrived home from Zermatt on Sunday- plague positive on Monday- still positive. Annoyed.
snow conditions
franga wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Not sure if you've stayed there before BUT you will absolutely love it. Stunning hotel and fantastic hosts.

Not been - my wife had heard good things. Sounds like she was right!!!
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
Arrived home from Zermatt on Sunday- plague positive on Monday- still positive. Annoyed.

How was 'covid behaviour' in Zermatt?
I'm a bit concerned about rammed cable cars. And e-buses in town!
snow report
@caughtanedge, you only need one person who has been up all night coughing who sits in a group coughing but who won't do a lateral test on account of only having symptoms of a 'cold' because they don't want to isolate. Alternatively it was something else.

Generally ok- Covid passes on entry to bars and restaurants, but yes cable cars somewhat crowded.

There are lots of gondolas and the new huge gondolas up to the Kein were not at all crowded.

Noticeably stricter in italy.
snow conditions
@ed123, thanks.
I eventually got a reply about the electro-buses, from someone at the council (Tourist Office were not particularly helpful):

"In principle, there are no passenger restrictions on public transport. However, the e-buses have increased their frequencies and at peak times in the evening "Covid-Angels" help at the bus stops. Efforts are being made to carry only 40%-70% of the passenger capacity on the buses".

The buses are rammed at busy times (we're going at half-term). I sometimes have wondered (pre-covid) how this service can be part of a lift pass which is not cheap, in a place which is not cheap. But we keep going back....

PS looking forward to seeing what a 'Covid Angel' is!
ski holidays
@caughtanedge, I have to say I thought the buses were very good- every 5-6 mins and super fast. If it weren't for COVID they would IMO be excellent. From the middle of town it is an easy 10 min walk to the Bahnhoff / Sunnegga or Klein. Or you could get a taxi??

The lift system is now excellent. Mind you when I was there none of the itineraries were open and I thought that the piste skiing was significantly less than challenging. None of the reds were reds and the blacks were rather purple at best and very short.
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
@caughtanedge, I have to say I thought the buses were very good- every 5-6 mins and super fast. If it weren't for COVID they would IMO be excellent. From the middle of town it is an easy 10 min walk to the Bahnhoff / Sunnegga or Klein. Or you could get a taxi??

The lift system is now excellent. Mind you when I was there none of the itineraries were open and I thought that the piste skiing was significantly less than challenging. None of the reds were reds and the blacks were rather purple at best and very short.

But it was Zermatt Little Angel , is it 29 peaks above 4000m that surround you (can’t remember now). One of The most beautiful places I have ever been. Oh I wish I could afford to go back
snow report
ed123 wrote:
If it weren't for COVID they would IMO be excellent.

I agree - but at half-term (and new year I think) they can't really cope at peak time. You sometimes have to put up with someone breathing in your ear if you don't manage to get a decent space. Not so sure about that with Covid.
Taxis about 15CHF I think, and they also get more scarce at 'rush-hour'.
I do often walk, but OH is getting a bit creaky now and needs a sit down at the end of the day.... I think we might be routing via Gornergratbahn a bit more than usual as the station is quite near to our apartment.
ski holidays
So are we going for Snow Forecast (31cm) or Bergfex (86cm) over the next 3 days?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be pleased with snow forecast
ski holidays
A halfway house 50cm would makes things simply stupendous in this part of the world when the sun reappears later in the week. Although currently the pistes are somewhat scraped the skiing here in the last few days under completely cloudless blue skies has been fab-u-lous Cool
latest report
Everything shut in Cervinia today, maybe also for next couple of days. Sad
ski holidays
Crystal putting on a bus to Pila tomorrow, it looks about an hour or so away. Can anyone say what it like?
ski holidays
@JimboS, better than Cervinia for 2 days at least! Very Happy
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
@caughtanedge. None of the reds were reds and the blacks were rather purple at best and very short.

You must have missed the black run at Sunegga. It's one of the steepest pistes we have ever been on.
snow report
@JimboS,

snow conditions
From where to Ski and snowboard 2016. Last print. Google WTS&S though as well
ski holidays
@caughtanedge, think you missed them all.
snow report
er...I think I've lost the thread here?
ski holidays
@caughtanedge, don’t worry. Just jesting as I’ve skied for over 50 years in many resorts and Ober National, is one of the best blacks I have ever been on. As for reds the white Hare is fabulous.
latest report
Yes I agree - I think you're replying to someone else's post (ed123?)!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy