Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
, and keep your speed up on 27, which is essentially a road in the latter sections or you will have a bit of poling to do approaching the station.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twoodwar wrote:
@DCG, JohnMo beats me to it!

snowHead sorry mate. I am not sure I realised that it was addressed to you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all for your responses, will need to study the piste map to ensure I have understood your suggestions. Also fair point about the dark, colder side….
We’ve have always been a little nervous of getting back so haven’t really explored Zermatt at all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Debbie0312 wrote:

We’ve have always been a little nervous of getting back so haven’t really explored Zermatt at all.

I might not be the best person to judge as I flip back and forward all the time but I do think that risk is overstated. All the lifts have last times to take that lift to head back to your home side. Those times are generous so if you stick to them you will be OK. If coming over from Italy the Klein Matterhorn, Schwarzsee and Gornegrat sectors are very easy to get back from. Maybe don’t venture as far north as the Rothorn/Sunnegga sector if you are nervous (although it is certainly doable if you want to ski there).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnMo, thanks, that’s why I was hopeful of some suggestions and you have certainly helped, now just need the link to be open and the weather gods to be kind
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JohnMo, @twoodwar, Thanks for input on that route. Will try it next time I'm there (hopefully end March).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnMo, needless to say no issue at all Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hello All! We are hoping to be in Cervinia on 29th Dec, myself, my wife and two sons. My wife and I are fully vaccinated and have the NHS ap QR code etc. Getting into Italy etc. seems reasonably straightforward. Our sons are 8 and 9 years old and unvaccinated. Will they have trouble getting into restaurants and onto ski lift etc?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’m probably going to be in Zermatt 18-27 Dec (I haven’t locked down the dates yet). Anyone else around up for skiing and/or beers?

I’m a solo guy happy to ski anywhere on or off piste, skiing in Europe for the first time from California.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We arrived in Cervinia today with 13 and 15 year old and the ski lift office accepted NHS email confirming both had Covid as proof of recovery. The only restaurant we went to also accepted it. So far so good for us.

I don’t think green passes apply to under 12
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Eek. I might be a bit more nervous next time I go heliskiing. To be fair it was a private pilot who had rented the helicopter and not one of the regular Air Zermatt pilots.

https://www.thebharatexpressnews.com/two-helicopter-accidents-on-the-same-day-in-zermatt-and-unteriberg/?amp

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JohnMo wrote:
Eek. I might be a bit more nervous next time I go heliskiing. To be fair it was a private pilot who had rented the helicopter and not one of the regular Air Zermatt pilots.

https://www.thebharatexpressnews.com/two-helicopter-accidents-on-the-same-day-in-zermatt-and-unteriberg/?amp

There goes the near perfect record for the Air Zermatt business!

John, are you out at the moment? How are things on the ground?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Run28 wrote:

John, are you out at the moment? How are things on the ground?

Not out until 3 Jan so keeping everything crossed that neither the Mrs nor I get a positive test and the Swiss and Johnson keep UK-CH flying open.

The total amount of snowfall has been canny but it is a while since there was anything and temperatures have been above average. From what I have read the pistes are good but tired, the near piste stuff is done. Although I am sure the festive skiers would like blue skies and sun we could do with some of the higher precipitation amounts on those GFS runs coming to fruition next week.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone have any recommendations for lunch on the Italian side preferably where we don't have to book a table?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mmmmm, most of the best spots you'll need to book a table - have you looked at Bontadini or Chalet Etoile?
snow report
We are heading across tomorrow (staying in Zermatt), both look great, hopefully we'll be able to get in one then book a table at the other later in the week Very Happy
snow conditions
For an authentic Italian experience that you don’t have to book try the self-service ristorante Ventina. Chalet Etoile or Bontadini it is not but I love both for different reasons. It does amazing bombardino and hearty value for money Italian food. Can’t remember the piste number but just come down the Ventina piste from Testa Grigia and turn first left. Just avoid the toilets unless they have been substantially improved in the two years I haven’t been able to visit Sad
snow report
@BenW_86, it’s generally quite easy to make a booking by phoning. They all speak perfect English!
ski holidays
If you call them this morning I would expect you'll get in. Neither resort is running at a max capacity all considering.
snow report
@JohnMo the charts for 25th Dec to Jan 6th are looking nice and spicy - I think your fresh snow fall prayers have been answered:

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/show_diagrams.php?geoid=10676&model=gfs&var=203&run=0&lid=ENS&bw=1
ski holidays
@JohnMo, I have helicopters in the same list as parachuting, bungee jumping, and other such activities. Not keen on airliners either. I am thankfully ok with a nice steep black.
ski holidays
@Welshcakes, went to your recommendation today and the food was good. Felt a bit full of pasta on my afternoon runs Very Happy booked into Chalet Etoile for later in the week
latest report
@BenW_86, Glad you enjoyed the Ventina experience. I’m sure you’ll enjoy Chalet Etoile - it is very different! The fish soup is my favourite but I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad meal there. I envy you - enjoy!
snow conditions
Snow still looking good for next week. But the start always seems to be just beyond the timeframe in which one can have a lot of confidence.

ski holidays
@Run28, Chalet Etoile was awesome, food was so good. Thanks for the recommendation. Smile
ski holidays
Zermatt aficionados - anybody have a recommendation for an off-piste guide or guide service for our group's "half-piste" experience... ie, take the lifts up, hike a little more, to get to a lovely untracked snowfield?
Or is this a fever dream?
Our trip is late January.
Thanks,
CJM
snow report
@CJM don't bother. If weather is clear head to Stockhorn (nb look for 200cm+ on the upper mountain snow report otherwise a rocksharkfest), if dumping then the trees above the Patrullave chair. More than enough to keep you entertained on both for days with no extortionate guide being required.

Zermatt due to its costs as much as anything else is more of a piste/family place than a hardcore skibum venue so if you're up early on a powder day you should have no trouble laying first tracks.

I'm sure others with more local knowledge than I will be along soon with further powdery advice.
ski holidays
CJM wrote:
Zermatt aficionados - anybody have a recommendation for an off-piste guide or guide service for our group's "half-piste" experience... ie, take the lifts up, hike a little more, to get to a lovely untracked snowfield?
Or is this a fever dream?
Our trip is late January.
Thanks,
CJM

The main guides operate through Zermatters. Most of the guides are really good - I would say we have had only one bad guide.

https://www.zermatters.ch

Stoked link up with independent guides and many people prefer that:

https://stoked.ch/en/ski_school_zermatt/stoked_specials/off_piste_lessons

@hd the Stockhorn itineraries are not open until first week of Feb this season so no good for @CJM. You can hike over to that area. But I would not do that without a guide. Generally I would say that if you can afford a guide Zermatt and Cervinia have some superb off piste skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hd and @JohnMo - thank you both. Will poke around and see what we can get lined up, but great to know that we can potentially get first tracks on unguided, on-piste days too.
ski holidays
BenW_86 wrote:
@Run28, Chalet Etoile was awesome, food was so good. Thanks for the recommendation. Smile

Great to hear it was a good meal. It’s one of our favourites anywhere in Europe!
ski holidays
Run28 wrote:
BenW_86 wrote:

Great to hear it was a good meal. It’s one of our favourites anywhere in Europe!

Good to hear it’s still amazing 10 years after our last visit. Fish soup followed by Osso Buco. To die for…
snow report
On another topic, slightly terrified to see the snow line drifting up to 3,500m on Saturday…what the hell is going on!
snow conditions
It is in desperate need of some snow, the forecast is looking good for the next few days Smile
ski holidays
A question for those out in resort or in Switzerland in general. Are the Swiss now accepting the NHS Covid QR code as proof of vaccination to get into restaurants and bars? I went to check my Covid Cert app and it says the QR code is no longer accepted.
snow report
Yeah you can use the normal NHS app to get into bars and restaurants. It is checked in most places.
ski holidays
BenW_86 wrote:
Yeah you can use the normal NHS app to get into bars and restaurants. It is checked in most places.

Perfect, thanks.
snow conditions
Anybody have recommendations for a good backcountry (freeride?) ski shop? Am looking for a place to rent backpacks, beacons, shovels, probes, uphill skis, etc.
The places that I can find online aren't really listing what they've got in stock for ski touring.
Thanks,
CJM
snow report
CJM wrote:
Anybody have recommendations for a good backcountry (freeride?) ski shop? Am looking for a place to rent backpacks, beacons, shovels, probes, uphill skis, etc.
The places that I can find online aren't really listing what they've got in stock for ski touring.
Thanks,
CJM

This is the shop I always use for buying and renting such stuff.

https://www.salewa.com/salewa-mountain-shop-zermatt
snow conditions
@JohnMo - excellent. thanks
latest report
That is a serious amount of precipitation. But the temperatures are stupidly high. A lot of the precipitation is coming during the day so will be rain in town. Thankfully in all the important areas (ie the skiing areas) it will be snow.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy