Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead

The portable snow cannons have been building up banks of snow on the Furi to Zermatt home run. These probably won’t open until the week before Xmas so they are getting in early.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FYI - From the Cervinia Lifts: -
"We will know something exactly tomorrow but the snow condition didn't change so much during the last days. In case we will make a post on Facebook about the new lifts opening."
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look through ECMWF 12z run - doesn't get much better for early season base building. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JohnMo, how is the case rate in Valais? Everything we are reading here is the the number is Switzerland are going bananas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From lift co. Cerv:
We are pleased to announce that this Saturday, November 20, the upper part of Ventina will open up to Cime Bianche Laghi with the tracks 35 and 36.
It has also been confirmed the opening of the Valtournenche Compensation with the Salette TV and the Motta/Du Col line with the tracks 15, 12, 10 and 7 (return only). The connection with Breuil-Cervinia is also open.
Please buy Green Pass and ID to access the plants and buy the skip pass online at www.cervinia.it .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wildsmith wrote:
From lift co. Cerv:
We are pleased to announce that this Saturday, November 20, the upper part of Ventina will open up to Cime Bianche Laghi with the tracks 35 and 36.
It has also been confirmed the opening of the Valtournenche Compensation with the Salette TV and the Motta/Du Col line with the tracks 15, 12, 10 and 7 (return only). The connection with Breuil-Cervinia is also open.
Please buy Green Pass and ID to access the plants and buy the skip pass online at www.cervinia.it .

That's great news! My trip on 27Nov is getting more realistic! Do you know what they meant by Green Pass?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh, and thanks a ton @Wildsmith for the news!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cookiemonsterhahaha wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:
From lift co. Cerv:

That's great news! My trip on 27Nov is getting more realistic! Do you know what they meant by Green Pass?

They mean get your Green Pass Italia ready (it’s an app where you scan your NHS Covid pass QR code into it)
Well that’s my understanding of it anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:
From lift co. Cerv:

They mean get your Green Pass Italia ready (it’s an app where you scan your NHS Covid pass QR code into it)
Well that’s my understanding of it anyway.

ah that makes sense, thanks. I was wondering if they introduced colour coded ski passes haha Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, this here is a good source of info for getting prepared before you go

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156436&highlight=
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very useful, thank you @VolklAttivaS5
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wildsmith wrote:
From lift co. Cerv:

Good news,what does it mean return only?
Also can you connect from cime bianche to plan maison?or after come bianche need to take lift back up?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think they don't want you to do shuttle runs on the cable car then down 7 again - covid
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The uk nhs proof of covid vacc (dose 2) - travel version QR code is the green pass - it works ( ie gives a green tick) when scanned by the Italian verifation app
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wildsmith wrote:
I think they don't want you to do shuttle runs on the cable car then down 7 again - covid
correction - I think they are referring to the run 7 in vt served by a 4 man motta chair so a potential bottleneck
ski holidays
Thanks @wildsmith - do you know if any beginner areas and/or blue runs will be open by next week? There are two first timers in our group. I've tried contacting the lift operator to no avail.
ski holidays
Hopefulimprover wrote:
Thanks @wildsmith - do you know if any beginner areas and/or blue runs will be open by next week? There are two first timers in our group. I've tried contacting the lift operator to no avail.

Keep an eye on the openings this weekend. The only thing that will hold up openings is a lack of snow...and things look quite healthy currently. Another storm predicted on 25th/26th also.
snow report
Run28 wrote:
Hopefulimprover wrote:

Keep an eye on the openings this weekend. The only thing that will hold up openings is a lack of snow...and things look quite healthy currently. Another storm predicted on 25th/26th also.

They are a lot more responsive on facebook messages than e-mail. This is their response when I asked about piste opening status, same message as what wildsmith posted basically "At the moment from Saturday 20th of November, will open the slope from Plateau Rosa to Cime Bianche Laghi and the connection with Valtournenche. In Valtournenche 3 chairlifs and 1 draglift."
snow report
fyi, I also asked about daily upgrades from local to international pass as it isn't mentioned on their website anymore. The daily upgrade will be €35, meaning one needs to cross 3 out of 6 days to breakeven (easy if weather permits). Seems like the pricing changed, or maybe it is different during offpeak.
ski holidays
fyi, I also asked about daily upgrades from local to international pass as it isn't mentioned on their website anymore. The daily upgrade will be €35, meaning one needs to cross 3 out of 6 days to breakeven (easy if weather permits). Seems like the pricing changed, or maybe it is different during offpeak.

Wait if i book a 5 days national, and i want to upgrade 1 day to international it will be 35 euros?
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:

Wait if i book a 5 days national, and i want to upgrade 1 day to international it will be 35 euros?

Yes, I understand it is a daily upgrade, so same price regardless which one you have pre-upgrade
ski holidays
@Cookiemonsterhahaha, thanks for sharing! Thats good to know.
snow conditions
Hopefulimprover wrote:

I will (Ryanair willing - which is a very big butt) be on the spot tomorrow and will update! Atm if you go up to plain main the lift co says there are blue runs plus a small beginner travelator. So they have enough to learn on and the great views too!
snow report
Thanks all - very helpful! We're going to take the plunge and hope for the best.

@wildsmith - looking forward to your update!
ski holidays
Just had a couple of days in Zermatt/Cervinia. It is a real story of two altitudes. If you are above the snow line the snow is in great condition.

Yesterday I was over in Italy and the pistes right the way down to Plan Maison were in superb condition - right to the end of the day. However despite being a blue sky day the temperatures stayed low. Today was hot and the next few days look like staying that way. The lifties are going to have their work cut out keeping things that good. Hopefully those lower temperatures and storms appearing on the GFS runs for next week (so just out of reliable timeframe at present) materialise.

However once you get below about 2400m the snow peters out quickly - particularly on the south facing slopes. The photo was taken at Plan Maison at 2500m standing in excellent natural snow looking down at the Cretaz end of Cervinia. You can see there is not much lower down.

This is having an effect on openings. So while Valtournenche is opening you can only ski at the top section. The run down to Sallette at 2245m (and south facing) can only be used for returning home so as not to wear down the artificial strip. Similarly the Swiss lift company have already announced that at their “opening” at the end of next week in addition to those areas already open they will open Gornegrat down to Riffelberg. However they are not opening the runs to Sunnegga (which is also south facing and similarly is at 2288. If the lower snow had been good that sector would have opened at the end of next week.

snow report
JohnMo wrote:
Just had a couple of days in Zermatt/Cervinia. It is a real story of two altitudes. If you are above the snow line the snow is in great condition.

Yesterday I was over in Italy and the pistes right the way down to Plan Maison were in superb condition - right to the end of the day. However despite being a blue sky day the temperatures stayed low. Today was hot and the next few days look like staying that way. The lifties are going to have their work cut out keeping things that good. Hopefully those lower temperatures and storms appearing on the GFS runs for next week (so just out of reliable timeframe at present) materialise.

However once you get below about 2400m the snow peters out quickly - particularly on the south facing slopes. The photo was taken at Plan Maison at 2500m standing in excellent natural snow looking down at the Cretaz end of Cervinia. You can see there is not much lower down.

This is having an effect on openings. So while Valtournenche is opening you can only ski at the top section. The run down to Sallette at 2245m (and south facing) can only be used for returning home so as not to wear down the artificial strip. Similarly the Swiss lift company have already announced that at their “opening” at the end of next week in addition to those areas already open they will open Gornegrat down to Riffelberg. However they are not opening the runs to Sunnegga (which is also south facing and similarly is at 2288. If the lower snow had been good that sector would have opened at the end of next week.

interesting, thanks for the update.

i have a trip to zermatt booked 4 – 9 December, reckon things will have improved by then?
latest report
cav wrote:

interesting, thanks for the update.

i have a trip to zermatt booked 4 – 9 December, reckon things will have improved by then?

In two weeks at this time of year you certainly would hope for one decent storm. Assuming the temperatures do drop back to average in a few days (as forecast) the snow making should allow more to open. Both Switzerland and Italy had the snow machines blasting away yesterday (but not today).

As I say what is open is in very good condition.
snow report
Hopefulimprover wrote:

There are planned to be no beginner areas open in Valtournenche or Zermatt. In Cervinia the area served by the first chair lift up from Plan Maison is good for beginners. Depending on what they are like even the area served by the next chairlift might be OK for them. Have a ride up yourself and take a look. Just don’t take them on the third chairlift up to Theodulpass. That is not suitable for beginners. Yesterday I saw a man get put on a sledge stretcher just 20 metres from that lift (he then got loaded onto a helicopter at the next bit of level land).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JohnMo wrote:
Hopefulimprover wrote:

There are planned to be no beginner areas open in Valtournenche or Zermatt. In Cervinia the area served by the first chair lift up from Plan Maison is good for beginners. Depending on what they are like even the area served by the next chairlift might be OK for them. Have a ride up yourself and take a look. Just don’t take them on the third chairlift up to Theodulpass. That is not suitable for beginners. Yesterday I saw a man get put on a sledge stretcher just 20 metres from that lift (he then got loaded onto a helicopter at the next bit of level land).

Any chance italy will go in lockdown soon?2-3 weeks from now?Shock
latest report
@JohnMo, Thanks for that update. Very interesting. I've been contemplating an early Dec trip ad watching conditions develop. Surprised that Sunnegga is not opening - is that the whole of that part of the mountain or just the bottom section?
snow conditions
DCG wrote:
@JohnMo, Thanks for that update. Very interesting. I've been contemplating an early Dec trip ad watching conditions develop. Surprised that Sunnegga is not opening - is that the whole of that part of the mountain or just the bottom section?

Coming back from Furgg to Zermatt on the Matterhorn Express today I was looking over at that. Any meaningful natural snow has gone by Sunnegga. Plus being south facing the artificial snow will have been taking a pounding.

I think they could have opened Rothorn down to Blauherd. And you can downlift from Baluherd via the Gondolas. However they clearly though if they couldn’t open down to Sunnegga they wouldn’t open that sector at all. Pity.

I wonder if they would change their mind if storms do roll in next week.
ski holidays
@JohnMo, Thanks for clarifying. Fingers crossed...
If I do come out it will be 4th Dec for a week
snow report
Run28 wrote:
@JohnMo, how is the case rate in Valais? Everything we are reading here is the the number is Switzerland are going bananas.

Don’t know on the Canton specific numbers. There is speculation that the federal government don’t want to bring in any additional measures until after the referendum on 28 November on the current laws. They are expected to win this.

It is odd having a resort covering two countries. In Italy you are meant to wear a mask on the chairlifts (no-one does - there was even a policeman in front of me and he didn’t). Also you are not allowed to close the bubble. Neither of these apply in Switzerland. In Italy you need the green pass to get onto the slopes. However they do not check your green Pass in the restaurant because they assume you have already been checked - which anyone coming over from Switzerland will not have been. In Switzerland each restaurant on the mountain checks your covid pass.
snow conditions
Arrived in Cervinia yesterday night and I can vouch for what John said (not that it needed any confirmation anyway). Posted conditions are great everywhere and throughout the day, and while you do still see quite a bit of snow at the village itself, there's not that much snow further down from what's already open.

Idb1213 wrote:

Any chance italy will go in lockdown soon?2-3 weeks from now?Shock

Seems unlikely to me; despite the upwards trend, covid numbers in Italy ain't rising as fast as in other western European countries (I'm looking at you, Austria and Holland). I've heard talks of a lockdown for unvaccinated people (similarly to Austria) but nothing's certain yet I think.
snow conditions
Italy have also got one of the highest vaccination records I think, higher than Austria and Germany I believe?
ski holidays
And Switzerland actually?
ski holidays

snow conditions
Obviously didn't pay the table surcharge........ Laughing
ski holidays
The GFS models getting confident that the temperatures will drop back to normal soon. So snow making can start again. But the hope for much snow next week seems to be going.

ski holidays
Zermatt's website shows VT slopes are open but no connection to top of 7...is that true? i.e. VT side can only be reached through the cable from Salette?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy