Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt and Cervinia 2021-2022

Poster: A snowHead
Wow, you guys are amazing. Thank you so much.

I was aware that the skiing would be limited, but I was encouraged by some locals that there would still be plenty to do. Unfortunately, the Thanksgiving holiday and time off from schools is what makes us able to make the trip at all, so this had to be the timing. The beginners in our group are honestly probably more interested in food, wine, and shopping in the mountain ambience than the skiing, though I would love to get my wife into Cervinia if at all possible, even if we had to make the long trek up the drag lifts and then the cabin lift to Laghi Cime Bianche. I think she would enjoy making the trip at least once and then finding some easier skiing in Italy. Plus an Italian lunch! As for me, as a moderately competent skier it sounds like I won't have too tough a time making my way onto the Italian side for more fun skiing.

Is it absolutely impossible that the Gornegrat and Rothorn/Sunnegga sides will be open? Or if they are lucky with snow and snow making might they open a week or two early?

Thanks for the app, too. I verified that our Swiss passes work! Actually it also looks like I could have googled that, so I apologize....

Slowly but surely, I am starting to figure things out....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are coming for the food, atmosphere and drink then you wont be disappointed. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the sking either it will just be a small area - or smaller than normal anyway.

I'd be amazed if they open Gornegrat, Rothorn and Sunnegga - the updated date of opening outside of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise will be the 4th December.

You'll find the full lift schedule here: https://www.matterhornchalets.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Fahrplan-Winter-2.pdf
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowinginbaltimore, if you feel like trying something different for a day or two (for example if many slopes in Zermatt are still closed), you can also consider heading over to Saas-Fee. It's smaller and a tad lower than Zermatt (max. altitude is 3600m / 11800ft), but it's supposed to be nice for beginners too. It's about 2h from Zermatt by public transport (or 50min by car from Täsch). Maybe not the most practical idea if you're there with your family, but anyway, always good to have in mind.

(my guess is actually you're more likely to feel like a week in Zermatt was not enough, hahah, but who knows)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 2-11-21 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(double posted)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-11-21 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Run28 wrote:

I'd be amazed if they open Gornegrat, Rothorn and Sunnegga - the updated date of opening outside of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise will be the 4th December.

Frustrating isn’t it? Cervinia have just announced they are opening the chairlifts above Plan Maison this Saturday. But Zermatt just seem to stick rigidly to the timetable no matter what the snow. The snow is looking good and Thursday’s storm really seems to be building into a good one.

Where do you read that Zermatt main opening has been pushed back to 4 December? Everything I have seen still seems to be saying 27 November.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a side note about skiing down from the Klein Matterhorn for the less experienced skier - when I had a week in Zermatt in April the red route after the initial flat bit at the top out of the lift station was closed for some reason all week and the only way down was via a steep (but wide) black, which caught out quite a few newer skiers who had to take their skis off and walk down that bit, not easy in itself
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JohnMo wrote:
Where do you read that Zermatt main opening has been pushed back to 4 December? Everything I have seen still seems to be saying 27 November.

John, Ed tends to be very well informed in town and runs Matterhorn Chalets - https://www.matterhornchalets.com/2021/11/02/zermatt-opening-dates-safety-measures-for-winter-2021-22/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnMo wrote:
Snowinginbaltimore wrote:
Thanks to all for all this great info - I'm a n00b to the site, a n00b to Zermatt/Cervinia, a n00b to skiing in Europe, and one could probably even say a n00b to skiing, period. I'm trying my best to triangulate between these posts and other sources on the web to piece it all together. But we're doing a family trip to Zermatt over the Thanksgiving break, and will be in Zermatt from Nov. 19-25. I'm thinking we'll have at least some solid skiing for the intermediates and beginners in our group?

Just a couple of specific questions - I'm thinking it will be tough for a beginner to make their way down to Cervinia given the length and the fact that it may only be red runs open at that time. Is that a good hunch? Assuming so, is there a way to get into Cervinia without skis? Also, I assume the Swiss covid pass (which I have in hand) will not be any good in Cervinia, will it?

Also - there is a LOT in this area to digest, from multiple lifts and multiple runs in different colors than I'm used to.... is there a good resource for "Zermatt skiing for dummies?" to get me oriented? I'm actually slowly getting there on my own but it's a lot.

Thanks in advance to all, this site has been a great find.

Hi @Snowinginbaltimore . I agree with what @twoodwar has said. I hope you enjoy Zermatt. We get a lot of North American visitors and they always enjoy it.

Are you aware that the main opening of Zermatt is not until 27 November? That means there will only be a very restricted area open on the Swiss side while you are there. I will try to explain it by reference to the pdf piste map in this link:

https://www.zermatt.ch/en/Lifts-pistes/Panokarte-Ausflugsberge/Piste-map-Winter-panorama

You will take the Matterhorn Express from the south end of town up to Trockener Steg. You can see that lift station almost exactly in the centre of the piste map. From there there are three connected ski areas:

1. If you take the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise ride up to Klein Matterhorn you can ski those reds or ski over to Italy (via Testa Grigia – right and up on piste map from Trockener Steg – more of that later). As has been said the air up there is thin and can affect people if they go up first day. Also the reds are possibly beyond a beginner.
2. You can ski down out of the lift station to the Furggsattle chairlift just below. This gives you access to runs 71 and 72. Those are reds because they are steep in part. However, I suspect most beginners could cope with them if they took it easy. They really are very nice runs. After the main interesting part there is an uphill section on the trail back to the lift station. For intermediates and above it is no problem as you simply build up speed on the downhill section as you approach it. Not sure how your beginners will cope with that.
3. You can ski down 66 (which has several branches) to Furgg. Those reds are pretty tricky in parts (although they start off deceptively easy). I am not sure I would take a beginner on them.

That is it I am afraid. The more beginner friendly stuff on the Gornegrat and Rothorn/Sunnegga sectors does not open up until the following week.

Italy is actually a lot better for the week you are there. It is south facing so with the sun so low that is a real benefit. It will have a lot more open. Plus it has a lot more beginner (and even intermediate) friendly slopes. It can actually be closed to visitors from the Swiss side if the weather (particularly the wind) is bad). Assuming that is not the case, the issue is getting there. Whatever you do the first thing is to get to Testa Grigia. As has been mentioned you can ski down from Klein Matterhorn (tricky for beginners) or you can take the two drag lifts up that run parallel to 73 and 87. They are fine (if slow) in good weather but can be miserable if it is cold and/or windy. From next Autumn there is a lift (marked Projekt from Klein Matterhorn to Testa Grigia) that will take non-skiers over to Italy but that is no use to you now.

Once at Testa Grigia you can ski down number 7. That is great but steep and your beginners might not like it. Or you can ski number 6 through the Theodulpass down onto number 47. That is easier but still might be a challenge for beginners (also has an uphill section for which you need speed). The easiest thing to do might just be to jump into the big cabin lift to Laghi Cime Bianche. From there the number 7 into town is easier than the top section. Or you can just hop into one of the gondolas from Laghi Cime Bianche over to Plan Maison. The area immediately above Plan Maison and down into town is by far the best for beginners.

As has been said the return is easier, whether you take the chairlifts up to Theodulpass or the gondola then cabin up to Testa Grigia. I would recommend the latter for beginners.

As for the Swiss covid pass in Italy, I assume you are vaccinated in the US? If that is the case I don’t know (I know for Brits it is OK). However you can download the Italian pass checker and scan the QR code in your Swiss pass yourself to check if it is OK. The Italian pass checker is here for Apple:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/verificac19/id1565800117

I hope you enjoy yourself. Feel free to ask any more questions.

regarding what you said about the thin air, how can it affect certain people? and what could you do to avoid it if you still wanna go to the top on the first day?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just need to take it easy. Its not too bad - my 95 year old grandfather walked the length of the tunnel at the top and went up to the viewing deck without too much trouble.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just take it easy! At Klein Matterhorn you'll probably want to take the 'side trip' to the very top i.e. the viewing platform. Sometimes the last few steps up can be heavy-going, although I find it varies and I'm closer to 70 than 60.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Run28, beat me to it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
caughtanedge wrote:
Just take it easy! At Klein Matterhorn you'll probably want to take the 'side trip' to the very top i.e. the viewing platform. Sometimes the last few steps up can be heavy-going, although I find it varies and I'm closer to 70 than 60.....

hahaha I had the exact same a few years ago on those steps.

I've read that being well hydrated in the days/week leading up to trip can also help a bit in that regard (according to Ron LeMaster), I normally try to do that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Idb1213, agreed! I thought that was the question Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
twoodwar wrote:
@Idb1213, agreed! I thought that was the question Puzzled

Oh no haha i asked about bardoney, when the lifts at cretaz doesnt work..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems like today there will be some major drop, but after today does not seem so promising for the next week-10 days.. any thoughts?
latest report
There should be a good dusting today but then a dryer spell is on route for a few days. Great for those who are out there but not so good for those sat at home wishing for the snow base levels to increase.
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:
Seems like today there will be some major drop, but after today does not seem so promising for the next week-10 days.. any thoughts?

Still cold, Cervinia has good snow making down to create. They won't (IMO) fire that up until the runs down to plan maison and cima bianchi laghi are open (availability of snowcats and drivers -they will announce that shortly I think, though expect after 6th) - am sure I have heard them boast they can open it up (from PM to Cretaz) in two days once started though I may have (!) imagined that... I would prefer a big dump. but I am not worried and think they will open to Cretaz by the 20th (although my hotel has a mini bus!)
snow report
@Run28, perfect if you're on the BASI level 2 courses that starts this weekend.
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

Still cold, Cervinia has good snow making down to create. They won't (IMO) fire that up until the runs down to plan maison and cima bianchi laghi are open (availability of snowcats and drivers -they will announce that shortly I think, though expect after 6th) - am sure I have heard them boast they can open it up (from PM to Cretaz) in two days once started though I may have (!) imagined that... I would prefer a big dump. but I am not worried and think they will open to Cretaz by the 20th (although my hotel has a mini bus!)

Big dump is best, though can't see anything coming for the next 10 days,Thats pretty disappointing...If that's the case, i hope at least temps will stay low so they won't lose whatever stacked by now, (Talking lower elevations).. i've already seen cretaz covered in white and back to green 2 days later. Anyway i had a good laugh when you said you might've imagined it, trully hope your imagination matches reality Smile
snow report
Really though, how efficient are those cannons? Look like the cover quite a small area... It seems far from reality that they can somehow influence pistes conditions with cannons solely. It is only a little extra but with no snow, there's not much you can do don't you think?
ski holidays
@Idb1213, today looks good for decent snow surely? I’ll be looking at webcams and especially the Cretan one at village level in Cervinia
snow conditions
Run28 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

John, Ed tends to be very well informed in town and runs Matterhorn Chalets - https://www.matterhornchalets.com/2021/11/02/zermatt-opening-dates-safety-measures-for-winter-2021-22/

I agree. He is a reliable guy. I asked the tourist office and they are still saying 27 November.

snow report
Idb1213 wrote:
Really though, how efficient are those cannons? Look like the cover quite a small area... It seems far from reality that they can somehow influence pistes conditions with cannons solely. It is only a little extra but with no snow, there's not much you can do don't you think?

You can check yourself at https://cervinia.panomax.com/plateau-rosa - look at the history and you can see the snow cannons building cover downhill from 3300m to 2700m - with only a little natural snow. There are a lot of cannons -you can see the puffs of white gold when they are on! But yes they can do it!! snowHead Off piste of course is different!
ski holidays
JohnMo wrote:
Run28 wrote:
JohnMo wrote:

I agree. He is a reliable guy. I asked the tourist office and they are still saying 27 November.

Thank god for that. I heard from Zermatt Bergbahnen AG this morning saying the same thing - not sure when Ed has got his info from but I do hope its not accurate.
latest report
Wildsmith wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:

You can check yourself at https://cervinia.panomax.com/plateau-rosa - look at the history and you can see the snow cannons building cover downhill from 3300m to 2700m - with only a little natural snow. There are a lot of cannons -you can see the puffs of white gold when they are on! But yes they can do it!! snowHead Off piste of course is different!

Haha cool i just saw thanks.. Took a look at the webcams, Only a coating so far for Cretaz, Nothing that will stick around..
snow conditions
Should be a little more tomorrow then another small amount in 5 or 6 days. The outer limits of anything remotely reliable.
latest report
@Snowinginbaltimore, Could I just add one more point to the very helpful advice JohnMo and others have provided. The link between Zermatt and Cervinia at Theodulpass (particularly the return) is quite intimidating for beginners as it is a fairly narrow winding track with drop-off (albeit netted) and not much opportunity to control your speed. I have encountered terrified skiers stuck there more than once.
snow conditions
@Idb1213, are you feeling more confident this morning - snow cannons on at Cretaz... temps low for the forseeable... skiable whiteness... ? snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wildsmith wrote:
@Idb1213, are you feeling more confident this morning - snow cannons on at Cretaz... temps low for the forseeable... skiable whiteness... ? snowHead

Hahaha yea broo i do feel confident..Looking pretty good now at cretaz. now i just hope it stays,and won’t melt because warmer days are ahead of us (4-5c) . Last season i came to cervinia, the morning i arrived it was heavy snowing and stacked up about 50cm of snow at base level.. That was dreamy. I can only hope this year it’ll snow heavy near my arrival date, i wish for some fresh snow Smile
snow conditions
Idb1213 wrote:
Wildsmith wrote:

Hahaha yea broo i do feel confident..Looking pretty good now at cretaz. now i just hope it stays and won’t melt because warmer days are ahead of us (4-5c) . Last season i came to cervinia, the morning i arrived it was heavy snowing and stacked up about 50cm of snow at base level.. That was dreamy. I can only hope this year it’ll snow heavy near my arrival date, i wish for some fresh snow Smile
ski holidays
How can i add a picture?ill show you
ski holidays
Idb1213 wrote:
The easy way is to pay to become a super snowhead (its not who you know its how you pay! £25 pa I think, for me its worth it to help make sure snowHead continues!)... I have a button on my version of this page that says "post image" and the image uploads!

The less easy way is to upload the picture to an image website (eg flickr, imgur... I think facebook works too) - copy the link url to the picture (usually under the "share" option) and paste it into img tags in your post -[img]paste your link here[/img].
snow report
Wildsmith wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
The easy way is to pay to become a super snowhead (its not who you know its how you pay! £25 pa I think, for me its worth it to help make sure snowHead continues!)... I have a button on my version of this page that says "post image" and the image uploads!

The less easy way is to upload the picture to an image website (eg flickr, imgur... I think facebook works too) - copy the link url to the picture (usually under the "share" option) and paste it into img tags in your post -[img]paste your link here[/img].
check out what my morning looked like last season.(i arrived after a day major snowing). look at the rooftops at base level..fingers crossed for same conditions this year.
https://ibb.co/719rnQV

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 4-11-21 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Idb1213, there’s a sticky in Apres for posting pictures
snow report
@twoodwar,
what do you mean?
snow report
Idb1213 wrote:
@twoodwar,
what do you mean?

If you go to the Apres Zone part of the forum, the 5th thread down from the top explains how to upload photos
ski holidays
That was a good storm. Nice to see the village white. Snow down to Randa at 1400m on the Swiss side and down to La Magdeleine at 1100m on the Italian side.

snow conditions
DCG wrote:
Idb1213 wrote:
@twoodwar,
what do you mean?

If you go to the Apres Zone part of the forum, the 5th thread down from the top explains how to upload photos

I think that thread is a bit out of date now - seem to think the 'snowMedia Zone' has been closed to new registrations.

I now use Imgur to host/post images.

more info in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154047#4677845
snow report
JohnMo wrote:
That was a good storm. Nice to see the village white. Snow down to Randa at 1400m on the Swiss side and down to La Magdeleine at 1100m on the Italian side.

wow
ski holidays
Wildsmith wrote:

Cannons no longer in cretaz, green starts popping a little.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy