Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Bluesky: Room for a new Club following demise of SCGB?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

If the Club dies, I wonder whether Gerry will stay on here to torment us all

Good question. I know none of the personalities involved but Gerry's posts on SHs (which I've seen over the years, at times when I've had even more objectionable contributors to "ignore") do nothing to suggest that joining the SCGB would be an enjoyable experience. He is one of the most consistently unpleasant long-term participants in the Forum.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin wrote:
To be fair though @Alastair Pink, they're very different models.
The Freshtracks model seems rather more prescriptive, which will suit a different kind of person to the 'beautiful anarchy
...as once described by @achiles
' of a snowHeads bash snowHead

@snowball, as I understand (although I'm happy to be corrected), Freshtracks was originally the clientele of the SCGB holidays who were, in effect, being bought back into the fold along with the owner of the company.

@admin, if a group is paying for a guide or instructor then obviously it’s best if people are of a similar standard. That’s about a prescriptive as it gets.

Freshtracks was a company started up by a former employee of the Ski Club. Long story short, it floundered and the Ski Club bought it. The truth about why they bought a floundering company and installed its owner as their CEO I’ll leave for another day. The Ski Club were running holidays long before the existence of Freshtracks and were doing so successfully during the time Freshtracks was going down the pan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Good question. I know none of the personalities involved but Gerry's posts on SHs (which I've seen over the years, at times when I've had even more objectionable contributors to "ignore") do nothing to suggest that joining the SCGB would be an enjoyable experience. He is one of the most consistently unpleasant long-term participants in the Forum.

+1

As a relative newbie to the site, I’m bemused & appalled in equal measure after reading Gerry’s posts. I have to say he’s hit an all time low today though, thinking that comparing someone to Putin & his actions, is in any way clever or funny. Very badly done.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now that my popcorn is finished, I revert to the Thread Title.
Of course there is room in the world for everybody - whether there is a need is different issue.
I was a member of SCGB for a few years, though neither being a skier, or based in GB.
I skied with the reps every week, and offered 10% discount in our restaurant to SCGB members.
( Though we never checked if they were members ).
From the interactions with SCGB members and reps, the people with whom I interacted were genuinely nice people, passionate about skiing, and I think all of them would have paid their subs with or without the various discounts and insurance packages available. It was the guiding that was the USP.
Once the guiding went, then the raison d'etre went too.
Paradoxically, you can volunteer guide in France, but you can't do it as part of an organisation - so how so you publicise the service ?
There's plenty of SH bashes and SnowBuddies through the season to accomplish this.
So it comes back to the Thread title - of course there's room for another club, but seriously - what's the point, if you don't offer the thing that was the point of the club ?
It's like having a pub darts league that has decided not to supply a dartboard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It's like having a pub darts league that has decided not to supply a dartboard

Then don't you just chuck your arrows at the barman?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Remind me to stay out of the pubs in Emsworth Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chuckles3 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1

As a relative newbie to the site, I’m bemused & appalled in equal measure after reading Gerry’s posts. I have to say he’s hit an all time low today though, thinking that comparing someone to Putin & his actions, is in any way clever or funny. Very badly done.

On more than one occasion Jarman has likened the Chair of the Ski Club to an authoritarian dictator.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In addition to sH bashes, there's also a sH unit which is far more presciptive at it's core but allows anarchy for those that prefer it. As a consumer it ticked a lot of boxes: more like a relaxed ski holiday than a Snow Orks week, more certainty of quality instruction than pitching up at a ski school on day one, better value than diy.

I don't know if it worked out as far as the providers were concerned, or if the dates when it would work out are limited to pretty much that week. But it seemed a better business model than an instructor business trying to organise a holiday for their clients.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+2

Although I did enjoy the post complaining about libellous posts from behind an anonymous pseudonym, posted from an anonymous pseudonym.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

complaining about libellous posts

A good way to stifle free speech?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WindOfChange wrote:
Now that my popcorn is finished, I revert to the Thread Title.
Of course there is room in the world for everybody - whether there is a need is different issue.
Paradoxically, you can volunteer guide in France, but you can't do it as part of an organisation - so how so you publicise the service ?

I think you get to the heart of the matter for me also - However you can volunteer guide, and you can be part of an organisation, and you can publicise the club. Of course the volunteers are not offering a service on behalf of the club, but are simply supported and enabled by the club. It happens in many spheres.

If you go to Val D'Isere you will find many groups every day doing this - they like to associate themselves with SCGB, although they do everything themselves.
One thing the club could do for example is offer every member (or those with appropriate training) full third party liability cover and legal insurance for leading issues. It is essential in france that you have this (even as a volunteer)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy