Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calf pain in ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi There,
I’m new, so not sure if this is the right place to post my question.
I am a first time skier and purchased my own ski boots. I can’t stand the thought of wearing rentals, probably due to the fact that I’m a figure skater, so I am used to having my own well fitting equipment.
Anyway, I purchased the boots last year but have been unable to use them yet due to Covid. I had a proper boot fitting and had them heat molded etc.
At the time, it was hard to find a boot that fit my calves, as they’re quite muscular. Every pair seemed to squeeze them to the point of unbearable pain. I eventually chose some Rossignol’s that appeared to be ok on the calves.
I just put them back on (1 year later) and after having them on for just a few mins, I am getting unbearable pain in my calves. It feels like they are being squeezed by a boa constrictor. Is this normal? Should my calves hurt this much before I even start skiing? Do I have tight calf muscles?
I’m really concerned that my ski trip is going to be ruined by this and I don’t know what to do? Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
take them back
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they were properly fitted, they should be OK - hopefully.....

Ski boots feel very different when you put them on in your kitchen compared to when actually skiing in them as the pressure tends to be all in the wrong places. Also, have you had any instruction about how to put them on correctly, how to buckle them in the right order and how much to tighten each buckle? I think that there are a couple of decent videos on you tube which you can google for a starter.

It is important to get your heel into the back of your boot before tightening the buckles by giving it a good tap on the floor. Then make sure that all of the shell flaps are overlapping in the right way and loosely fasten the buckles (1st notch), starting with the ankle one. The buckles over your foot should not be tight at all: Just enough to stop them flapping open. Then do the leg ones up to a pressure which is not uncomfortable and put the strap over so it is snug. When you lean on the front of your boots, your heel should stay put, you should have a little bit of room to wiggle your toes and your calves should not be squashed.

Best to get a few sessions on an indoor/dry slope before your main trip so any adjustments can be made before the big event.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@LysW, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I expect some more knowledgeable contributors than me will be along shortly, but if you bought them from a proper boot fitter than I would expect them to be able to assist with your problem.

Good luck! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LysW, When you have ski boots on, your shins need to be inclined forwards with your knees bent a little. Ski boots are not intended for you to stand straight up like you would in normal shoes. When you have your shin pressed gently into the cuff of the boot (easier to do in skis) does the calf pain go away?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LysW wrote:
Do I have tight calf muscles?

This is a possibility, especially if you don't do a lot of flexibility training and use a Trigger Point Roller.

So my advice is 1) Get a Trigger Point Roller (if you don't have one) - and use it on your Calf Muscles (very painful). Youtube Videos are there for guidance. 2) Start doing a lot of Calf and Hamstring stretches.....maybe even see a good Physio and get advice and an assessment.

Going back to the Bootfitter should also be considered - as suggested above.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you overtightening the boots? When you put boots on they can be a bit stiff until they warm up, and then you tighten them. You can usually adjust the buckles to give extra width at the one notch setting. Also do not overtighten the velcro strap at the top to begin with.

I usually start skiing at the lowest setting, and then as my legs warm up and the boots warm up there is more room and I then tighten them up before taking on the steeps.

Also it could be you need to massage your calfs, apply some heat to your calfs, have a bath, using a foam roller is good. I do a lot of running and rolling a golf ball in the base of your foot can also release some tension in calf muscles. Compression socks can help release some tension and lactic acid build up in calfs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIT-KING-Compression-Circulation-Intensities/dp/B07H2Y6FF6/ref=asc_df_B07H2Y6FF6/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311043708616&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5239003182551521796&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007321&hvtargid=pla-572820269973&psc=1

This link looks interesting, albeit a tad expensive. Cannot comment on its effectiveness. Stretching calves also helps.

There will also always be some irritation in calves due to boots, due to the fact that you want to have as much contact as possible in order to have more control of skis. However, unbearable pain is not helpful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LysW wrote:
I had a proper boot fitting

Whereabouts? Who was the fitter?

LysW wrote:
I eventually chose some Rossignol’s

I may be over interpreting here but the fitter should be choosing the boot or boots that are a good match. You should just be giving feedback on if it is comfortable or if there are pinch points.

LysW wrote:
I just put them back on (1 year later) and after having them on for just a few mins, I am getting unbearable pain in my calves. It feels like they are being squeezed by a boa constrictor. Is this normal? Should my calves hurt this much before I even start skiing? Do I have tight calf muscles?
I’m really concerned that my ski trip is going to be ruined by this and I don’t know what to do? Sad

As others have said #1 make sure you are putting them in the correct way, it is very important and #2 trying them at home is necessarily reflective of how they will perform in the field. It's a good idea just from a point of bedding them in a bit but that is all really. "Unbearable pain" doesn't sound great though. Always worth going back to the fitter for some reassurance ahead of your first trip to double check everything.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try measuring the circumference of your calf, if it is over 14" you may need to flare the back of the boot to accommodate your calf muscle. I am assuming you are female and generally women have bigger calf muscles and they are lower on the leg.

Womens boots typically are designed for this, are you in a mens boot or "uni sex" boot?

another thing to check is your ankle flex. when seated with your shim vertical see how far up you can bend your forefoot upwards. you should be able to get a finger or two under the ball of your foot. if you can't your lack of dorsiflection may be causing some problems.

check both legs dorsiflexion and see if there is much difference.

Good luck Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a roller & exercise every day for 3 months .. exercises are on YouTube

Should loosen up tight calf muscles & make boots more comfortable

Worked for GF ..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have this problem I have added a small heel insert under my liner (taped on) as well two rounds of shell heating / stretching. My boot fitter is pretty creative and showed me how far he has been able to stretch out some calf areas and even cut away some pieces in the back of the shell as necessary. A good boot fitter should be able to do a lot for you. I am a hockey player and have skinny ankles and giant calves as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PattyCanuck, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plenty of boots for ladies have an adjustment for calf volume, also you can flair the cuff out if required or raise yourself up in the boot so a narrower part of the calf is in the boot but all these things should have been explored and talked about with you fitter, you should be taking them back to the fitter and speaking to them about your issues. no "proper" fitter wants you to have issues, its their job to make sure you have as good a time as possible in your boots ( they're not miracle workers however so please be realistic in your expectaions)
how long did you spend in them on the shop? id expect a "normal" fit to be in the region of two hours, for someone with your issues at least three/four to make sure any issues were sorted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy