Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helicopter landing area

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know the requirements of a helipad landing area? I have read wikipedia on helipads, and other websites, suggesting you need an area of 40 ft squared for a helipad and 70-80 ft squared in order to descend into the pad. I am considering the feasibility of a helipad on the lawn, which is next to a river. There are some large trees on the other side of the river and a few on the side the helicopter would land.

Could a helipad double as a tennis court when not in use as a helipad?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you’re going up in the world Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis wrote:
Sounds like you’re going up in the world Wink

Or, of more relevance, coming back down
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought this was going to be a new facility at snowHeads Towers..... Madeye-Smiley snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.britishhelicopterassociation.org

Just don't attempt to land like this. Video is worth watching. Apologies for a DM link

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1199786/CCTV-shows-moment-impact-Abbeyshrule-helicopter-crash.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bigtipper, depends on the driver , oh I mean the pilot , the boys in the alps possibly can land in some very difficult places not sure these skills are universal
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bigtipper, See the embedded pdf on the front page of this website:

https://www.britishhelicopterassociation.org/helicopter-site-keepers/

It will be more about what's around you. Size matters but is dependant on the make of mechanical palm tree you are expecting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are certification standards for helipads which you will be able to google down.

It depends somewhat on what you want to do, with whom and in what, and when.

You'd mostly not want to place a pad down in a dip irrespective.

A tennis court would presumably need fences.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bigtipper wrote:
Could a helipad double as a tennis court when not in use as a helipad?

Gonna be a bit risky for the umpires sat on those high chairs, esp. if they wear a wig. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't let this happen to you!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56847090
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bigtipper, I think that's too small, unless you have a specific very small helicopter in mind. Our local air ambulance uses an Augusta AW169, which is over 48ft long. Rotor diameter is 40ft, and extends in front of the body. For a clearing (as opposed to an open field) I would have thought a diameter of at least 100ft. I have seen reference to 40x40 paces, not ft, which is probably 120x120ft.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albob wrote:
Don't let this happen to you!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56847090

How on earth did it land?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here are the CAA rules for helipads at Hospitals :

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1264HelicopterlandingathospitalsAugust2019.pdf

There is a similar MoD document, which I can't find quickly (may not be publicaly accessible).

The requirements for landing a Robinson R22 are going to be a fair bit different to landing a CH-53K or Mi-26.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bigtipper, what chopper have you got? Those tips must be working out well Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bigtipper wrote:
I am considering the feasibility of a helipad on the lawn, which is next to a river.

Would it be easier to land it on the helipad on the back of your yacht which presumably is moored on the river?
latest report
Helipads on boats need to be formally certified, I believe, although possibly that's only for professional use.
snow report
It does seem that the size of the helicopter is important. There are other important aspects such as access for fire brigade engines, and ambulance services which may need addressing. It would probably be a temporary helipad (only in use for 28 days in a year).

Indeed, there are often helicopters flying around looking for somewhere to land when there are motorcycle accidents on the roads and the roads are busy/blocked so that ambulances would take over an hour to get there and more to get back. I have seen them land in a field near here, just wondering how practical it would be to take off and land closer than that field.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy