Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Vall Gardena (IT) driving to Westerndorf (AUT)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi al
Hopefully we will able to go on our ski holiday to Italy and Austria next year, last week in Jan, 1st week in Feb 2022. We have the hotels booked with all the insurances/covid insurances in case we cant. rolling eyes .
The plan in Selva is that we have to vacate the hotel at 10am and cannot get into our hotel in Westerndorf until 4pm, so rather than driving towards the Brenner pass and paying the toll charge, was thinking of an alternative taking in some of the other areas crossing the IT/AUT border.
Have all the relevant car stuff, winter tyres/snow chains etc
Was wondering if anyone had done the drive from Selva to Corvara, then the road to Brunico, pick up the SS49 towards Lienz, crossing the border en-route onto the 100. From Lienz go North on the 108 towards Mittersill, through Kitzbuhel and then onwards to Westerndorf.?
Google maps has it down as a 2.5 hour drive, but that would be now and not during Winter conditions, was wondering if this is doable in the winter, are there any issues crossing some of the high points around Felbertauer or any other points.?
Are there some nice stop off's, is Lienz worth an hour visiting..... Or am I better to sticking to the autoroute and Brenner pass?
Any thoughts or tips appreciated. Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-06-21 12:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
from Selva to Corvara you have to go through a pass...usually is it open....then to Brunick and Lienz is not so difficult at all..nothing important to mention....if it is snowing nobody knows how will be but i think it will be ok. The only problem that might come is the Felbetauerntunnel...
but with bad weather maybe also the Brenner Pass will be a shXXty situation....

Lienz is a really nice town with the old centre worths a visit...however you could add a day of ski.... Sexten Dolomiten, Sillian, Lienz Ski resort, or Kals Matrei are on your way...also Kronplatz...

my opinion
if the weather looks not really good, make a stop only in Lienz and then go forward
if the weather is good, you could probaly make a stop in Sillian for 2-3 Hours skiing, then Lienz and then keep on driving
You could also add some ski hours in Lienz Ski Resort and then from there with the bus to Town Centre....no need to find a parking place twice
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From Corvara down to Brunico should be fine, and also along the valley.
If leaving on Saturday am then expect a bit of traffic at San Lorenzo where the road down from Corvara joins the Pustertal valley road.

I'd see what the weather is like when there, if the pass is closed then there's no choice but to go via the autostrada, and from there you still have the choice of Brenner or Pustertal.
Toll from Selva to Brenner is peanuts. Toll from Brenner to Innsbruck is €10 (approx), plus the normal vignette for the rest of your route.

Even in that snowmageddon year a few years back the entire road from San Lorenzo to Corvara was all clear roads. All the Sella Ronda passes shut, and it was black tarmac visible right to the roundabout in Corvara!
No idea what the Selva-Corvara pass is like. I've only driven the Corvara-Arabba pass. And that was all the same week of the season at end Jan / early Feb.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Selva Corvara pass is prone to minor avalanches and is quite often shut during heavy snow. We got stuck at Brenner on the train few years back because of an avalanche. Though I do believe these closures are few and far between.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks @turms2, @andy, @jimmybog, thanks for your info. I have stayed in Corvara and Selva before, so aware of the pass between the two - up and over Dantercepies as you would skiing it.
@turms2, as we would be skiing for 1 week in Selva and then 1 week in Westerndorf, I think a stop and ski enroute would be too tiring and unpacking/repacking could get a bit too much, but I do like your feedback about stopping off at Lienz, sounds ideal for a wander.
11 Euros for Felbetauerntunnel is comparable to Brenner but without the vignette as we would not touch the autoroute.
Think its the case that I will just have to check the weather the day before to assess the conditions before leaving, thanks all.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Done that route but only as far as Zell ..it is usually open and gives no trouble with care
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've driven those roads at various times over the years, I think you need to take stock of the conditions when you're there and make a decision accordingly. In good weather & favourable road conditions, the 'scenic route' via Lienz & Felbertauern would be a nicer drive.

ViaMichelin gives the Brenner route as 118mi and 2hr 19min driving time with €14.10 in tolls, plus the €9.50 10day vignette.

The Lienz route is longer and slower, 149mi and 4hr with just the €11 tunnel charge, but obviously using a bit more fuel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy