Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria's Most Scenic Railway Journey

Poster: A snowHead
Last Friday in the Ch 5 series World's Most Scenic Railway Journeys they showed an episode filmed in Austria, departing from Graz and visiting Zell am See, Innsbruck, St. Anton and finishing in Bludenz. There were some nice scenes of the ski slopes above Zell (I think filmed on the Schmittenhöhe) and also in St.Anton where they were talking to an old (I think aged 80) local ski instructor who was skiing dressed in old style clothing and on wooden skis with a single wooden pole. Madeye-Smiley The programme is I think being repeated this Wednesday at 7pm, but anyway it's available to watch on the My5 catchup website https://www.channel5.com/show/worlds-most-scenic-railway-journeys/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoyed that, Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah the programme which ought to be called Channel 5 knocks off another format on the cheap. Bill Nighy replaces Michael Portillo without even having to leave the comfort of his sound booth and a single cameraman/producer do the leg work.

Will probably watch though for the Austrian angle.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is the Channel 5 website run by the Daily Mail by any chance? Just how useless do you have to be to generate this description for the programme?

Quote:
Austria's railway offers an adventure from Gratz, then the mountains and lake of Zell am Zee, and finally to the engineering marvel of the Alberg tunnel.

They had three foreign names to check on Google Maps, and failed with all three of them rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And poor captioning, too. Instructor without an s in the middle - twice! rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Alastair Pink,

Thanks for posting that but unfortunately the link doesn't work for me because I'm in Austria. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DB wrote:
@Alastair Pink,

Thanks for posting that but unfortunately the link doesn't work for me because I'm in Austria. Very Happy

I don't suppose you get British TV via satellite either? Sad
You could always pay for a VPN..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure that it covers the most "scenic" and well known railway line in Austria either, https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/785/ . Did they show the viaduct over the end of the Paznauntal? (see here) . It is very impressive driving under it on the way to Ischgl, you dont really notice from the train that you are suspended on a thin sliver of iron over a very deep gorge!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you travel a short way west in the Inntal from Innsbruck, maybe between the airport and the turn off for Seefeld, and turn to look at the mountains on the north side of the motorway (perhaps best if you’re not driving wink ), you can often seen a red and grey train going on its way a considerable distance up the side of the mountain Shocked It disappears through tunnels from time to time, but then continues on its merry way, seemingly almost suspended in mid air.

After more than three years of watching it, I still haven’t figured out how the feck it gets up there, or where it is heading (Seefeld is my guess, as you do need to gain a lot of height in a short distance).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, if it’s the line I’m thinking you’re describing yep it goes through Seefeld then Garmisch and onto München. Lovely way to arrive in Tirol if not the fastest Eh oh!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Inboard, sounds plausible, but where is the climbing section? Or do you just hurtle straight down like you’re on the Oblivion? Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, very train spotterish but look at the video
http://youtube.com/v/qqKifmjE5gk departing Innsbruck Höttering around 6:30 and getting to Hochzirl around18:00. Details of the route https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittenwald_Railway . Basically there are a series of tunnels cut into the rock face on the cliffs above the Inntal.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, interesting. Never thought anyone would film a whole train journey and play it back at the same speed, but of course they do. I see it gains a fair bit of height between Hötting and Kranebitten – I assume there’s a maximum slope angle for a standard train to climb up and presumably down, before it requires a different engineering solution and becomes a funicular. Even the one to St Anton ends up a fair way above the road it started off next to, but nothing like this one. I’ve never been to Hochzirl, but have climbed at Ehnbachklamm, some distance below the railway Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, when I got really bored in late spring last year for some reason I ended up watching a number of these sort of videos especially of journeys through the alps. It was strangely therapeutic, watching the mountains roll by whilst I was stuck a good way away from them and no sport to watch either.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stopped in Seefeld a couple of times in the summer and took the train down to Innsbruck, it's a really lovely journey, curving it's way through the mountainside and tunnels, it's not partuclarly seep but there some huge drops. The way down the other side to Germany isn't as steep. Seefeld had quite a busy little train station.
latest report
For train lovers there's a short train ride in the Wachau. You can take a train one way and a boat on the danube the other way. Stops to taste the local produce (Apricots and wine) are almost mandatory.

http://youtube.com/v/2JXVQarPBeY

http://youtube.com/v/c9e6kinJ9Fs
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@Scarlet, when I got really bored in late spring last year for some reason I ended up watching a number of these sort of videos especially of journeys through the alps. It was strangely therapeutic, watching the mountains roll by whilst I was stuck a good way away from them and no sport to watch either.

I did exactly the same and very much enjoyed the journey from Innsbruck to Zell am See via Jenbach, Brixlegg, Worgl through the Ski Welt and Kitzbuhel. (We're aiming to use these trains during our month long trip to Austria in January 23).

They were most relaxing and, as you say, therapeutic!
snow report
@LOTA, @munich_irish, not looked at these Austrian ones but the Norwegians have some great ‘slow tv’ of some of the really long scenic lines (eg Oslo-Bergen/ Trondheim, possibly even to Bodo), and also the hurtigruten express coastal boat service Bergen-Nordkapp. I’d always thought watching them was a ludicrous idea but found them great during lockdown last year. Lots of lovely snowy mountains and amazing islands/ cliffs…
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy