Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nz central South Island

Poster: A snowHead
Got my first day of 21 in today.

Had a major storm last weekend which put down between 2 and 4 metres of snow at altitude and caused chaos with huge rainfall. Up to half a metre over 3 days.

A bit further north just got clipped by it, so had good early season conditions.

Hanmer springs opened today. Never been before, been on the list for ages but doesn’t get open that often.

Had a great day. 8 cars in the car park, 13 punters on the hill. Lapped the rope tow all morning, had some lunch and went out the back for a quick tour this afternoon. Thought I had seen it all with Nz ski field access roads but their one is next level sporty. Took a Subaru Forester on snow tyres with chains on all 4 wheels up there. Was like taking a knife to a gunfight. Actually scary but made it up and down in one piece so all good.

Photo bombed a news crew too

Great start to the season. Should have a few more spots open up over the next couple of weeks, heli ops start 1st July. Looking forward to it

https://i.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/125337533/hanmer-springs-ski-area-opens-for-first-time-this-year-after-storm-brings-large-snow-dump
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice!! whats the length of the rope tow??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Too long with a buggered shoulder.

Would guess about 500 metres of snowboarder torture.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ouch, but worth it... Are there other lifts there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think there’s a Poma. It’s rustic! Not like Europe.

Here’s the tow from the top - might be a bit different to non Nz rope tows? Moves real quick, and you use a nutcracker on a climbing harness to hold on to the rope.

And a couple of others from today

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 3-06-21 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beautiful, but that looks very steep for a tow at the top!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That’s mellow. There’s one down the road that goes as much as 40 degrees for 1.4 km. It’s brutal. But is worth the effort on the right day - the heritage tow at round hill.

The benefit of this kind of high end lift infrastructure is lift passes cost about 20 quid in uk money Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
40 degrees! Wow £20 does soften the 'blow' a bit but I'd need to build my shoulders up for that.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s easy on skis. Harder on a board and really hard on a board if it’s behind you.

Just need to use heavy gloves to grab the rope and then get up to speed before chucking the nutcracker over it, then the harness does all the work

Less fun is getting a pulley in the knee/Crown Jewels or the nutcracker releasing and knocking out a couple of teeth. It also rips jackets to pieces, so best ridden in something cheap and semi disposable. I use gardening gloves and an old soft shell. Very efficient low cost system though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Less fun is getting a pulley in the knee/Crown Jewels or the nutcracker releasing and knocking out a couple of teeth. It also rips jackets to pieces, so best ridden in something cheap and semi disposable
Shocked Shocked Shocked Think I'd rather pay full wack and have all my teeth, body parts and clothing intact Laughing

Looks great though!

We still have cast alloy tow hooks from a now defunct *local ski area (* Teesdale Ski Club in the North Pennines of England). The tow there certainly used to take it out of your arms...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got up to Hutt for opening day yesterday. They have a new 8 seat high speed lift in for the lower mountain. Looks flash. Lots of “snow” aka ice that is 3 metres deep in places. Great base, set up for the season, just needs to get a bit colder and snow some more. Groomers only due to the ice.

The recent big storm and new lift brought the crowds out - over 2,000 people up there which is unusual for early season.

This is a great movie that’s just come out - all wanaka based but gives a good feel for what snow sports are like at the bottom of the world

http://youtube.com/v/_WZnXGIH9Xw?list=PLtQDir__hYe_XEm8Id-o7fZBlBWcfXcJd
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hang11 wrote:
It’s easy on skis. Harder on a board and really hard on a board if it’s behind you.

Just need to use heavy gloves to grab the rope and then get up to speed before chucking the nutcracker over it, then the harness does all the work

Less fun is getting a pulley in the knee/Crown Jewels or the nutcracker releasing and knocking out a couple of teeth. It also rips jackets to pieces, so best ridden in something cheap and semi disposable. I use gardening gloves and an old soft shell. Very efficient low cost system though.

I have a marketing job for you mate ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm assuming that it's still not possible for tourists to fly into NZ, though? Any idea if or when that may change?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@philwig, ozzies can come in, apart from Victoria at the moment. Cook Islands too, and maybe a couple of other pacific nations soon.

Don’t think the government here are in any hurry to open up to the rest of the world. Maybe in time for next winter.

Looks like a solid storm incoming next week Happy
ski holidays
Very jealous! We stayed in Wanaka a few years ago and really enjoyed the off piste around Treble Cone (one chairlift at either side of the mountain from memory and no rope tows!).
ski holidays
TC is great if you can catch a good day without crowds.

Just stopped for coffee and bacon and eggs between pow runs on a near empty mountain Happy

20-30cm of good snow last night. It’s looking good. No need to hurry either.
ski holidays
@hang11, lucky you. Snow coverage down here in the south is looking miserable with nothing like enough to open any lifts. Crying or Very sad
snow report
I’m just standing in the queue for the 6 seater waiting for patrol to sort it all out. Weathers clearing and looking like a banger afternoon on the cards Happy
ski holidays
Great day. Week 1 of the season and the weather cleared to no groom on the upper mountain, no queues and lots of pow laps. Nice dry snow on a good base.

Bobs knob

The towers

ski holidays
Got up to hutt again today. It’s still the only mountain open in NZ currently, although top of the South Island hills got big numbers in a storm over the weekend, so should be opening soon.

Today was about 20cm of new snow, weather cleared mid morning. A great and quiet day. Need to go to work some time soon.

latest report
Went for a stroll out the back of Hutt today. Nice to see the Pacific Ocean from the snow. Not much else open around the local area currently, but looks like a season starter storm is incoming next week.

latest report
hang11 wrote:
Went for a stroll out the back of Hutt today. Nice to see the Pacific Ocean from the snow. Not much else open around the local area currently, but looks like a season starter storm is incoming next week.

Cracking - miss that view out over the Rakaia (?) river & the plains... Worked at the ski school for the '99 winter, and have been meaning to go back ever since...!!!
snow report
This is what SnowHeads is about, not all that other guff wink - Cheers @hang11,
ski holidays
Got up for another heli day with one of my kids today. Really good snow up high on the main divide.

Snows been decent for the last couple of weeks and school holiday crowds are gone. Been getting out touring a fair bit recently.

A quick video of a family party lap this afternoon.

http://youtube.com/v/Eb_RZMyZKlk
snow conditions
@hang11, nice!!
latest report
A few more recent pics

Foot powered - from the weekend

Money powered Happy

ski holidays
@hang11, lovely. Are the helis super expensive in NZ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, don't know how it compares to overseas - about 600 GBP for a 6 run day - which is a lot of vertical.

My justification is that two of us going to Europe for a couple of weeks is about $15k NZ, so 7 or 8 days on the heli for 2 of us is about the same price, for probably much better riding (although no culture Happy ). And can't easily get overseas anyway at the moment.

We have got some genuinely big terrain here, very different to the ski fields which are mainly on the edge of the alps. The heli obviously gets to the much bigger stuff right out in the main divide. It's not easy to get to any of it on foot either - very remote and no way to access it.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/OdszAh26bqk
ski holidays
Mt Dobson in the Mackenzie today. 25cm of light and dry new snow, very chilled day, no crowds and sun. One of the real gems of Nz ski areas on the right day

It’s got the highest public road in Nz - about 1800m. Took my newly upgraded 4wd up there today Happy

latest report
Nice wheels and nice snow. How is the Suzuki for power up those long access roads.
ski holidays
Slow Happy. But unstoppable.

Going to take it for a drive to macetown later today
ski holidays
Macetown is one of my favorite camping places. Had a 14 night stay there once, it was the best escape ever.
latest report
Season is back on after a 3 week break - booked on a heli for Wednesday weather permitting Happy
snow conditions
First day at level 2 here after a 3 week break - means back country and aviation are off the naughty list. Got up for a heli day, there’s been about 1.8m of snow over the last couple of weeks. Epic day as always.

A fun drive to the airport this morning

snow report
hang11 wrote:
First day at level 2 here after a 3 week break - means back country and aviation are off the naughty list. Got up for a heli day, there’s been about 1.8m of snow over the last couple of weeks. Epic day as always.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
A few more from yesterday - me and my daughter. In the ragged range

latest report
Fantastic pics hang11 - thanks for sharing Smile
ski holidays
Might need a bankruptcy lawyer. Just got talked into going up again tomorrow Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy