Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Journey to becoming a ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Rogerdodger, most people take at least 5 years to achieve top-level instructor certification! 2 years is just the start.

Nevertheless, reaching the top level does generally allow a lucrative career and a great lifestyle which more than compensates for the time, effort and expense of getting qualified.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After lots of (generally unanswered) emails to local clubs to try and find some form of GS training for adults proved pretty unsuccessful, around a month ago I happened to be in a lift queue next to a coach from WSV Hippach, so I asked him if he spoke any English and asked about adult race training. Turns out he's the head coach of the club and is also English!

No luck with the club, however, he suggested I spoke to a guy that runs a ski race shop in Kaltenbach. I eventually got round to going in to speak to him on New Years Eve and he gave me the name of a local guy that trains SL and GS up in Kaltenbach.

Anyway, fast forward to this weekend and i've now got a bunch of guys to train with. It's completely free and the guy that runs it does so just because he loves racing and there's no clubs for adults. Age range is from early 30's up to 74 so a real mix! They're up there every weekend training, unless there's a Tirol Masters race on.

And on the Tirol Masters races, the first one is next weekend, and as long as I can sort out membership with WSV Hippach quickly enough, i'll be signing up to take my last place finish Laughing

Here's how it looks after weekend 1. Lots to work on and improve, but hopefully i'll find some improvements by the end of the season, and then i'll consider if it's worth bothering with a speedtest yet this season or not.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swskier, Looking good. That bloke you were talking to , I know him very well. He was my coach for a number of years and is a top man. He's also fantastic at the strength and conditioning side of things, keep in touch with him and tell him I said hello Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@briand6868, small world!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Body shape looking decent, but your skis are set up to go a bit sideways there.
Great photo I must say, that camera angle is a really good coaching aid....note that your skis are on a different line to the well defined lovely rounded (and fastest) turnshape from other skiers.

Book that Speedtest!

I have trained with a lot of Eurotest candidates, and the observation I would make is that the ones who passed were not the tidiest skiers.
In fact the ones that passed were usually the ones who failed to stay in the course for a lot of their training runs...they were right on the edge! In order to pass you have to be open to spectacular failure...crashes, blowing out of the course.
Control means slower.

BTW I was old enough to be their dad(!) and only on the same course as a favour from the trainers and as a tool to being a better skier...it worked for a while but I think I have regressed Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rungsp, It's a good angle from where it's taken. That turn is at the bottom of the steep top section just before a flatter section before it drops off again.

This view gives you an idea (not the same course set up as this is from Saturday)

20240113-090923

I struggle on the steeper stuff, I can't currently ski a particularly clean turn, a lot of stivot, although less on Sunday than Saturday, an improvement after just one day. I can keep the arc clean though on the flatter stuff, so it's clear where I need to focus my time. From the timings yesterday, I was 8 seconds slower than the top guy there. He's a similar age to me, but born and bred Austrian skiing/racing all his life. I'd say he'd easily pass a speedtest, but that would still put me some way off.

On crashing and blowing out of courses, I did exactly that 10 seconds after the first picture

Screenshot-20240115-163102-Samsung-Internet

And the arms have definitely taken a hammering whacking the gates!

20240115-165235

There's a test running in Germany in March, and my mate I met at the Zermatt speedtest in April will be there, so may give that a go depending on how the next 4-6 weeks go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ouch!
You need one of those armored ski racing undershirt things.
They have a special name that has gone right out of my head.

Rather expensive for an utter punter like me, but money well worth spending for you.

I was a cheapskate and used football shinguards and duct tape Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
Ouch!
You need one of those armored ski racing undershirt things.
They have a special name that has gone right out of my head.

Rather expensive for an utter punter like me, but money well worth spending for you.

I was a cheapskate and used football shinguards and duct tape Smile

I bought forearm guards and proper race gloves after Saturday.

I know the body armour type tops you mean. A few wore them on the dry slope. My cat suit has foam padding in it, but it makes little difference!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say book the speedtest and thereby get a really well evidenced marker of where you stand, how much time you need to find.

8 seconds may not tell you much...that guy might pass with an 0.01 marking or a 7.5 margin so don't benchmark to him.

When I ran a proper Eurotest pre-test the coach remarked that he didn't have an accurate time because all the sand had run through the hourglass he was using as I was rather slow.
That was my best ever run and I was convinced, absolutely convinced (!), that This Time was THE Time!
It was actually rather funny the way he said it and all I could do was smile.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to see the progress, good luck with your ambitions. I guess you wont be in the summer race league now again this year. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Glosterwolf, I won't be this year no! But at least I won't be beaten by 12 year olds in head to heads any more Laughing No i'll just lose masters races to pensioners instead Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy