Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Journey to becoming a ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
@swskier, well done! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swskier, nice, congrats!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@swskier, Well done!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all for the messages, i'm very chuffed with it!

GS training this morning in Zinal with Podium. As expected i'm some way off the mark for this one, and with only 3 days training before the speedtest, i'm pretty confident I know how this one will end.

However, you can't help but enjoy yourself with views like this!

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good work getting some training in before attempting the test... Glacier looks great hero snow and perfect for early training Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, no glacier in Zinal, just good conditions despite being so late in to April!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 22-04-23 16:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, well done you
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Congratulations, @swskier, a deserved reward for your hard work and determination. And, clearly, talent!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boabski, @pam w, thank you both.

I've spent a fortune this season, but it's nice that it's paid off.

After these next few days, my "journey" might slow down somewhat. We're due to move to Austria this summer, but i'm hoping to get some teaching in on some weekends next season, if visas allow for it, which I need, in order to be able to take a L3 teach exam.

I am however due to do the Coaching Theory module back end of May. I'm planning on learning as much German before December, when I'll hopefully take the 2nd language test. So going in to next season i'll just have L3 teach and 2nd Discipline modules remaining to finish the L3.

In other news, the girlfriend has decided she'd quite like to become an instructor too, as she'd like to teach in Austria. She's not at a Level 1 standard yet, but she'll work towards that through out the next season, as we'll have skiing on the doorstep! No reason she couldn't get to a level 2 standard if she really puts the work in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, do you hold an EU passport?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mother hucker, no I don't, annoyingly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swskier, congratulations, well earned!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what you gona do then?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@swskier, congrats!!! Nice way to finish up the season snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mother hucker wrote:
what you gona do then?

He's going to become Austrian I believe
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, @davidof, close.

I'm getting an EU blue card as accountant's are a shortage skill in Austria. The girlfriend gets her visa off the back of that.
latest report
swskier wrote:

I'm getting an EU blue card as accountant's are a shortage skill in Austria. The girlfriend gets her visa off the back of that.

yes but in a few years you can apply for a passport.

Why don't you get the G/F to do the Austrian exams? May make more sense as you are onsite, she could start by joining a ski club.
latest report
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:

Why don't you get the G/F to do the Austrian exams? May make more sense as you are onsite, she could start by joining a ski club.

I'll quite likely try and get a passport yes!

Having spoken with @SaraJ, that's the intention, for the G/F to do the Anwärter.
latest report
swskier wrote:
davidof wrote:
swskier wrote:

I'll quite likely try and get a passport yes!

Having spoken with @SaraJ, that's the intention, for the G/F to do the Anwärter.

ha ha, we've been on the same wavelength since page 1 post 1
ski holidays
@davidof, great minds and all that....
latest report
@swskier, spricht du deutsch?
snow report
@Mother hucker, ich spreche keine Deutsch, aber ich lerne Deutsch mit Duolingo.
latest report
ich auch mit Duo aber meine frau ist Polnisch ich habe einen platz in Europa
snow conditions
So the updates are coming in fairly regularly at the moment, but they'll definitely slow down after this one.

Mon-Thurs evenings this week i've been on the first (for IASI) online offering of the Coaching Theory Module. Another module ticked off. I've not had the official confirmation of this, but I scored 100% on the final test, so that's all the confirmation I need.

An interesting module looking at Psychology in snow sports, Nutrition, Biomechanics, a bit of S&C/training programmes and equipment. Run by Fede of Subzero in Zermatt with the Psychology modules run by Derek Tate.

It was pretty much a L3 tech reunion with about half the cohort made up of us, as well as a mate of mine from the dry slope and a few others, even from as far as Singapore!

The biggest take away for me is, i'd love to do some training with Fede, his knowledge of biomechanics and equipment set up, leading through to performance was very impressive, and i'd love to see how that works alongside a week of training.
latest report
swskier wrote:

if you dont mind to tell us, how much in total? i am just curius....and jealous Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@swskier, You don't need to get an Austrian Passport which requires Citizenship. Once you've put your time in here you might like to consider going down the "Residency" route first and applying for a Red-White-Red Card+. Details on the Austrian immigration site. Where are you basing yourselves?
snow conditions
Wow. Selection and maintenance of the aim. Most excellent.
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
swskier wrote:

if you dont mind to tell us, how much in total? i am just curius....and jealous Madeye-Smiley

1 x week in Hintertux for the level 2
1 x week in Tignes at Christmas, we didn't ski except some basic touring/walking with the dog and I paid for both of us
9 days in January
5 weeks in March/April

I reckon i'm in for around £12k for the season. I could have done it a lot cheaper than this though, if I'd gone to the same area at Christmas, January and March/April. I'm probably in the region of £2.5k on lift passes.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@swskier, You don't need to get an Austrian Passport which requires Citizenship. Once you've put your time in here you might like to consider going down the "Residency" route first and applying for a Red-White-Red Card+. Details on the Austrian immigration site. Where are you basing yourselves?

After 2 years with my EU blue card, I'll then get the RWR+ card. The only reason I'm thinking Austrian Passport, is to open up access to the Schengen, but we'll see on that front.

We're going to be based in the Zillertal initially. We've got a place lined up until Christmas between Ramsau and Mayrhofen, and then we'll find somewhere more permanent when we're out there, but almost certainly we'll be Zillertal based.
latest report
@swskier, "almost certainly we'll be Zillertal based." Good shout, Tyrol seems to be a little less complicated and more welcoming than Salzburgerland.
snow report
@RedandWhiteFlachau, that sounds positive. Zillertal gives us the best chance of the Mrs potentially finding a job as a non German speaker initially as well, I hope.

That said, she's applied for an English speaking role in Innsbruck for Med-el.
snow report
After our move out to Austria this summer I lined myself up some work adhoc with the a local ski school in Mayrhofen on weekends.

Unfortunately, visa restrictions mean I'm not allowed to work there, not even on a purely volunteer basis Crying or Very sad

So getting my hours in for the L3 is going to take some time.

On the plus side, SaraJ has let me know I can do a L3 teach exam without the hours, just won't be awarded the quals until I've done my log sheets.

On the even more plus side, IASI are most likely running end of season L3 and L4 exams in Hintertux, so I'll look to do the L3 teach then as it'll be nice and local snowHead
snow report
Hope you get there, @swskier, after all your effort. Keep us informed. snowHead
snow report
@swskier, that's annoying, are there any loopholes around working in a club as a coach vs an instructor at all?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@swskier, that's annoying, are there any loopholes around working in a club as a coach vs an instructor at all?

hours are supposed to be paid and legal, volunteer, coaching etc doesn't count (in theory)
snow report
i have to point that except the visa problem, in Austria they are trying to discourage instructors from other countries to work in Austria.
E.g. if i have the Level 2 from Germany they may recognize it als level 1, or i have to take some extra tests. But not al Level 2.
With the level 1 (which i have) i am not allowed to work in Austria, and the do not recognize it at all. I have to do the Austrian Course.
To be honest i do not know if the level in Austria Courses is higher als in GER ... maybe it is so, but i doubt it.
snow report
@davidof, Interesting (and not that I'd do my L3) but where does it specify that?

I couldn't see anything on IASA site (but did notice the requirement to straight air a blue jump in a park)
snow report
davidof wrote:

hours are supposed to be paid and legal, volunteer, coaching etc doesn't count (in theory)

kitenski wrote:
@davidof, Interesting (and not that I'd do my L3) but where does it specify that?

In practice the requirement is (or was when I did my BASI L3 but it won't have changed) that you provide a letter from an accredited ski school confirming that you've worked there in whatever capacity for at least the required number of hours. So time spent volunteering at a club would not be counted unless it's also a proper ski school who would be prepared to male such a statement. It's not about being paid per se but working within the professional environment under proper supervision.
snow report
@kitenski, the straight air on a jump doesn't exist any more.

Options at the moment include taking annual leave to go and work for Interski in Aosta and/or wait it out for my visa renewal in April 2025 which then means i'm on a different visa and able to work as an instructor in addition to my day job.

It's the time it'll take that's frustrating, as I can't take any L4 exams until my L3 is signed off.
ski holidays
I can understand wanting to progress through the system as quickly as possible but TBH I think allowing a candidate on a teach course without the required hours isn't helping anyone... you, the other candidates, nor your association... When I did my L3 teach I was working full time in the UK and it was really tough to get the 200 hours under my belt. Dry slope a few hours a week for 18 months, half days at the MK dome waking up at 5am every Sunday with a 3 hour round trip along with a few Interski weeks using precious holidays. But I managed to scrape the hours together and when I rocked up for the course around a 1/3 of the candidates hadn't done anywhere near the hours that they had been signed off for and they to a person were completely unprepared and not representative of what an ISIA level ski Teacher should be. My teach exam was one of my last L3 modules and I wouldn't have learned anywhere near as much if I had done it without the prep work. Same way as going for your EMS assessment without having done the logged tours wouldn’t prepare you for leading a group off piste.. Read back and take the good advice that @offpisteskiing said previously in this thread with regards to working while training and going through the system.

When I read in your OP “What I have very little to zero experience in though, is teaching” and two years later "It's the time it'll take that's frustrating" sorta begs the question as to why you are doing the whole thing in the first place. Sure Brexit has made your goal tougher and stopped your local teaching but If you don't jump at taking some annual leave in Italy to have a crack at doing a few weeks of work that you aspire to do full time may be an eye opener. The Interski weeks I did were full of enthusiastic teachers really enjoying themselves. If you view your L2 and L3 award as mere stepping stones to some sort of magical life as a full time mountain based L4 perhaps you need to spend time working with a few full time instructors to see if what they actually do day in day out is really what you aspire to do and is actually worth all the time and effort.

When I read this thread it comes across all about passing exams, not actually using the qualifications that you achieved... If your goal is to enjoy a mountain based life, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to teach skiing to earn a crust.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy