Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family friendly resort suggestions for March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are going on our first ski trip 2 adults, 3 kids age 12,8,6. Kids first time on skis. Adults have skied a little but close to beginner.
We could do Feb 19th or March 12th for a week. it seems March may be a better bet for less crowds.

This would be our wishlist (I know not easy to get everything!)
Not too long a transfer from airport. (<2 hours)
Things to do for kids after skiing. (Eg pool, ice skating, toboggan etc) perhaps
ideally snow in the village in March.
Good beginner slopes and good kids ski school
Nice atmosphere with restaurants in village
Probably prefer an apartment to give us some space that would be walking distance to the ski school

I’ve come up with Avoriaz, Flaine, Les Gets, le grand bornard, so far. Maybe Soll or Saalbach?

Any reactions or other suggestions welcome. Any specific apartments and advice also welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
March definitely. As beginners you don't really need a big name resort so I'd focus on the smaller places. Pools and toboggans are common so that should be easy.

Main additional factor would be whether you want traditional village in which case snow may largely be absent at village level in March or purpose built higher up the mountain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Flaine one Easter/April with our slightly older boys so i think that wouldn't be a bad choice.
We didnt use the the Swimming Pool cinema or ice rink but did visit the Bowling alley/Arcade most nights, it also has seating for meals and drinks ( and more importantly WiFi).
Its only just over an Hour transfer from Geneva and within the village everything is only a few minutes walk at most .
Flaine is surrounded by Green slopes so ideal for beginners but if you take the gondola to the top there's a nice long gentle blue run back to resort
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Cherylcheryl, so good they named her twice.... welcome to SH's.

March 12th would be ideal.

Les Gets is always a popular choose for family skiing.

As you've figured accommodation close to ski school important. As indeed is the ski school itself.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another recommendation for Flaine 1h15 from Gva. We stayed in Terrasses d’Eos, heated pool, spa area, free evening shuttle, ski in/ski out and the ski school collect the kids from the back door. We used Maeva.com who have some private apartments there and we got one with a fireplace which everyone loved!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a look at Alpe D'Huez. Some lovely long beginners' runs. I'd also give Risoul a shout, but the transfer is rather long (about 4hr IIRC).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You don’t need a big ski area with an expensive pass. St Jean d’Aulps would work. Beginners area is perfect at the top of the gondola. Village a bit too quiet maybe.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Les Gets. Transfer from Geneva is about an hour, or if going by train, it's about 1/2 from Cluses (don't go to Thonon as the taxi firms aren't keen on picking up from there).

It's a traditional village (holds breath for people pointing out there is lots of new building) and it has a really nice atmosphere. Loads of restaurants in the town and more up on the slopes. Lots of shops, and the local butcher is excellent.

There's an ice rink in the centre. As far as I'm aware there aren't any public pools, but this place has a small pool and jacuzzi room that I've enjoyed with the kids. https://www.vacances-lagrange.com/vacances-location-mer-montagne,logements-alpes-haute-savoie,les-gets-GETS-L-FERM-residence.html#.YKurzWZKi34residence The apartments aren't massive, but they're big enough. We were there in Feb 2020 (2 adults, 2 x 15 yo girls and a 12 yo boy). We had a 3 bedroom duplex apartment, and it was fine for us.
It's a short walk to the front de neige (about 5 mins, if that?). If you hire your skis/boots from Sports2000 (which is opposite the main lifts) you can leave your kit there so there is no need to walk far in ski boots and lugging skis.

It's great resort for beginners and there are plenty of slopes geared up for kids (Milka, the Indians and the board park on the Chavannes side, and the pengiun park on the Morzine side).

Lots of ski schools, but I'd avoid ESF if only because they congregate on the front de neige and it can be a pain in the backside getting back up when all the lessons end (less of a problem in March though). The Snow Institute and one other (can't remember which) meet behind the Yeti cafe half way up the mountain and is much better place to meet!

Taxi Morzine are a brilliant private transfer service. It'll be about €190 each way for the 5 of you and the driver will be waiting for you at departures. No messing around.

We've been to Les Gets every year since 2015, and 2022 will be the first year we're not going, and that is only because we're limited to half term this time, and I'm not going there during half term again!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tignes. Why?

1) Heaps for kids to do after skiing - swimming pool, rock climbing wall, trampoline, tobogganing, rubber tubing, ice castle
2) Its at 2100m - there is still snow there now
3) Tignes Le Lac has a free ski area for beginners that is actually pretty good, gentle enough for absolute beginners, but steep enough for those mastering the basics and served by lifts not poma's, making it easy for parents less confident. As for ski schools, look up the guys from Ultimate Ski School Tignes.
4) OK it lacks charm, but it has its fair share of restaurants as well as a Sherpa and Carrefour if you want to self cater
5) Tignes is almost all apartments and they suit multiple budgets. plug your dates into AirBnb or Vrbo and have a look, but anything in Le Lac, with a view of the lake and lifts is probably going to be ok

We have skied with our kids (11, 10 & Cool in L2A, La Tania, Meribel and Tignes and we rate Tignes the easiest mainly because the Le Lac area is pretty flat and the apartments are pretty close. This means that if you get the apartment location right (which is not too hard) everything above is less than a 10 min walk over fairly flat terrain. If it has a drawback its a 3 hours transfer which means getting there is more expensive. However, for spring skiing it rates highly. The kids had an absolute ball once they finished ski school which meant my wife and I had a great time as well. The loved the Le Lagoon which is free with a weekly lift pass and for our youngest we didn't need to buy a lift pass as he stayed on the free slopes for the whole week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Saisies is family friendly, attractive village at 1650, so almost always snow in the resort in mid March. Longer transfer than Les Gets (hired car pretty well essential) but but much quieter slopes and not chock a block with Brits! More attractive village than Les Gets (matter of opinion, obviously) and glorious scenery. Good ESI ski school with small classes at extra cost. Pool, toboganning, dog sleds, "Mountain Twister", unlikely to be ice skating. Good choice of restaurants. Apartments of every variety and cost, including many with pools on site, very close to the "front de neige".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks so much. That’s all really helpful. Think we’re narrowing down to Les Gets, Flaine or Avoriaz. The 3 hour transfer to Tignes is a deal breaker. Now debating whether to book with Crystal ski or do so independently. Think I might try indepedent even though it’s handy to just pay a deposit with try tour operator,
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Cherylcheryl, depends if you like to be in control and don't like dealing with or relying on call centre staff/reps. Some people have had multiple good holidays with Crystal but there is no doubt if things go tits up they aren't always reliable sorting it out. Also on cost sometimes it can be better one way or another.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
@Cherylcheryl, depends if you like to be in control and don't like dealing with or relying on call centre staff/reps. Some people have had multiple good holidays with Crystal but there is no doubt if things go tits up they aren't always reliable sorting it out. Also on cost sometimes it can be better one way or another.

The main reason I book independently is the flight/departure time of the TOs. Especially on the way back. Getting on a coach at 5am when your flight isn’t until 2pm put me off for life!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Layne wrote:

Agree with above , when we went to Flaine we booked independently . I think I ended up booking Easyjet out and Swiss Air return due better flight times and a big saving on the prices.
With most AirBnB accommodation you can get a full refund up until a few days/week before arrival .
Ive done it many times now but its what you feel comfortable with.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Has the UK half term been extended for 2022??
snow report
MikeM wrote:
Has the UK half term been extended for 2022??

Nope.

If they are going March 12th I am guessing the OP is either taking kids out of school or at a private school or something else that means they are not as restricted.

Our Feb HT next year is 19th to 26th Feb

Spring break is 9th to 23rd April
snow report
Quote:

The main reason I book independently is the flight/departure time of the TOs. Especially on the way back. Getting on a coach at 5am when your flight isn’t until 2pm put me off for life!

Couldn't agree more. Why worry about a 3 hour transfer when the TO dumps you at the airport 4 hours before your flight. At least on the coach you can sit comfortably, read or sleep.
snow report
Very helpful advice! Think we’ll try independent alright

On the dates - we’re in Ireland and have 2 days off for St Patrick’s Day on 17th/18th March. It’s not such a big deal here to take kids out of school (no fines or threats etc!) so we’d plan to take them out for 3 days.

My current favourite is Les Gets. The new Annapurna apartments look lovely - pricey but not quite so bad in March! I know snow in town not guaranteed but sounds like slopes should be ok. And it’s good for beginners.
latest report
@Cherylcheryl, works well on the school hols - definitely go March 12th.
snow report
We went to Rauris in Austria for our first time. Our criteria is similar to yours.

It's a small resort so as others have said, perfect for when you're just starting out. They have a toboggan run (which also runs at night a couple of nights a week) and we stayed in an apartment complex with a pool onsite. My children generally did ski/chill on tablets/dinner/swim/bed and they were happy with that. We were either on the mountain or in the apartment really.

Rauris is a pretty, traditional Austrian village with a some decent restaurants and it's an hours drive from Salzburg airport. Zell am See is the bigger resort just down the road.

We stayed in an apartment complex that was a five minute walk to the ski school and lift and we found it on the VRBO app (same as AirBnB but with less fees). The complex is the Schönblick Mountain Resort Rauris and there is a 3 bed apartment on Vrbo here

https://www.vrbo.com/en-gb/p2794449?uni_id=3347099&childrenCount=3&arrival=2022-02-19&departure=2022-02-26&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=earned:homeaway:sharecopylink:GBR&utm_content=2794449&oc=AXa_qMAUCt_90LeLMKsM-

There is also a brand new apartment complex that is due to open this summer in Rauris. It's literally on the nursery slope and right next door to the ski school and lift. The Carpe Solum Rauris. It's also on Vrbo...

https://www.vrbo.com/en-gb/p10811989?uni_id=5842469&childrenCount=3&arrival=2022-02-19&departure=2022-02-26&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=earned:homeaway:sharecopylink:GBR&utm_content=10811989&oc=129XlI7FqTmmYdjbcJdtW

The first one is closer to the village for the shop and restaurants, the second is literally ski in ski out. They're about a five minute walk from each other.

The village is low at 950m but when we went in February, the snow covering was perfect. I keep an eye on the webcams through the year and there's still snow on the nursery slopes in March but I couldn't say what the quality of it is. There was snow in town in February as the nursery slopes are on the same level as the village. February 19th is the end of the half term week so it shouldn't be too crowded. We went the week before half term and there were enough people that it had a good atmosphere and there were plenty of people about, but no so many that we couldn't get a seat anywhere.

Highly recommend Adventure Rauris ski school. My two were beginners on the Sunday and both did a short red on the Friday. Older son was ready for a red on the Wednesday but the rest weren't. They split the day into two and you can book half or full day lessons. The routine went:

Drop them at ski school at 0930 for a 10am start. They start at 0940 because everyone is there. Instructor tells you which bar, I mean restaurant, on the mountain to be in at 12pm. Meet them there at 12pm. Spend an hour feeding and watering your offspring and watching them belt around in the snow with other children, marvelling that they can run in ski boots. Hand them back at 1pm. Meet them at the bottom at 3pm. Settle self down at the nursery slope refreshment hut with tea/beer/strudel. Watch them go up the drag lift and down the nursery slope without you. Wonder where they get their energy.

Have an amazing time!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy