Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med moving to Saint-Gervais-les-Bains

Poster: A snowHead
I read in another thread about Club Med closing down their Chamonix offering & morning to Saint Gervais but apart from 1 news article I cannot find anymore info.
Does anyone know anything about this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Jonny996, Was the article in question published before noon?

Very Happy Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nbt, afraid not days ago, it's not a fool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/chamonix-club-med-closure-announced

https://www.planetchamonix.com/club-med-officially-signed-over/

https://www.lafoliedoucehotels.com/en/

https://www.ft.com/content/7f3769ca-2483-11e9-b329-c7e6ceb5ffdf
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Club med would like to set up a facility in St Gervais, which is in line with the towns development so the local council is doing all it can to assist.

Regarding the site that has been selected, the project is now very complicated to implement. The town will propose a new solution to enable Club Med to set up in the area. It is planned for about 1,000 beds and the jobs that go with it so a high benefit to the town and the area.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@stgervais estate agent, 1,000 bed! that is huge for the town, there has to be more bars & restaurants opening to support those that venture out of the club med facility. Do you know where they are planning to develop?
Also do you know whats happening with the new hotel down by the tramway station as all summer it seemed to have came to a stop.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the club med formula is that the guests stay in house so apart from impact ton the slopes during the daytime it is unlikely to have a huge direct impact on the town in the early years. As more people discover St Gervais thanks to Club Med , it will in due course have spin off on the town as people prefer that area . The original site has been blocked by a local family who are opposed and the town is proposing another option, however rate concept is "ski to the door" so Bettex area not in the village. If you take the example of the MMV it is a similar formula and i hear that is now changing hands

The developer of the 79 bedroom 4/5 star in the Maison Doubs has in theory found a company to take over although I do not know the timescale on this and am somewhat sceptical until I see it happen.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who is taking over the MMV out of interest? We stayed there a couple of times and it was good value.

I stayed in an alpine Club med resort in the summer and noticed they had a banner about a new Club Med hotel in La Rosiere (a pity that there is so much development there). Did not see anything about St Gervais.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had heard that the Club Med in StG was dependent on approval for a link between Les Houches and StG ski area - maybe a gondola up to LH from StG, a funicular or even a peak-to-peak cable car. Could equally be b0llocks though..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jma, if you are allowing a funicular then there is already a link with the TMB
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure if anyone is set up to take over MMV as yet. Just heard that they are pulling out.

The link from St Gervais town to the St Gervais / Les Houches ski area is in place with the Tramway - it is quicker than driving round, and one of only 3 left in France. The compagnie du Mont Blanc have recently invested heavily in it and a new link from LHSG ski area to Evasion Mont Blanc seems unlikely. St G and Les Contamines needs linking up first and we are a long way from that due to the various issues locally. - Different investors however .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

@jma, if you are allowing a funicular then there is already a link with the TMB

@Jonny996, yes whilst technically you're correct, it's not exactly practical is it? What's more, if what I'd heard is true (granted, it's a big "IF") then I'm fairly sure that the Powers That Be within Club Med are already aware of the TMB and are expressing their dependency based on something more usable for skiers - and I'd expect some sort of tie-in with the passes is expected as well as currently only the MBU grants access to both LH & StG but you can't initiate the MBU for the EMB areas in StG so, again, not very practical.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It defiantly seems like a town on the up but I like the way they are managing it & controlling it in a way that doesn't seem to be outstripping the towns ability to cope
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Club Med are looking to develop in St Gervais / Megeve , that is why they have pulled out of CHX. If local politics don't get in the way then it should happen , but there are people with vested interests to develop or to block development so there are a few problems to solve first.

The town has improved tremendously in the last 20 years with reasoned development and great investment in ski lifts, snow cannons, infrastructure etc The new bridge removing the through trafic and the heavy traffic has transformed the town centre , the investment in bars, restaurants is obvious and the fact there is a local population keeping the business open means it will continue . I ate with clients at BMB this lunchtime and they were turning people away after about 12.45h as they were full on a Tuesday lunchtime in Sept and the majority of tables were taken by locals, the rest by 2nd home owners and holidaymakers. There were another 6 restaurants and bars open in town, so not as though there was no other options. It is an example of what a popular and lively place St Gervais is and why so many people want to visit.

Andrew
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
St. G. is indeed a gem, hindered only by its ski area. (I kid, but only a little) The number of old drags, the lack of a link to Les C, and the somewhat inconvenient link to Megeve hold it back from true excellence, IMO. I personally don't see the appeal of Folie Douce and it seems a bit out of character. A Club Med might stretch the lift infrastructure past breaking point during school breaks, or, it could be the push to add some detachable six-packs...
snow report
@jma Not really sure why you would want to buy a Mont Blanc Unlimited lift pass in St Gervais. It has been very interesting to see that since the Domaine Evasion area has been included on the Chamonix valley pass , whenever you take a chairlift or cable car in Domaine Evasion on a snowy day there are always "refugees" from the Chamonix valley who come to make the most of the great conditions, tree skiing, fresh powder, modern lifts and the much bigger area. and that is not including the extra 55 km of the Les Houches / St Gervais area.

People get very parochical I suppose so each to their own
snow report
@stgervais estate agent, It's almost as if...you're trying to sell property in St. G... Very Happy

Actually, I'm a fan, agree that Evasion is probably better skiing for 95% of skiers than the Cham valley.
ski holidays
I never understood why follie douce opened in StG/Megeve it’s not that sort of place & I cannot think of any major tour operators in the area. Perhaps they knew about the club med idea.
For all the time I have been going I have yet to ski any of the Chamonix areas, the faff of getting there just puts me off
ski holidays
I went to St Gervais with the family this year and I too thought it was an absalute gem.
We were lucky enough to get an AirBnB right in the centre of the village...
50 metres from the best bar
25 metres to supermarket,
5 metres to cash machine
50 metres to Pizza
10 metres to Ski Bus.
It even had an underground garage with it .... but we didn't know till we got there.
I'd go back .. even in the summer.
ski holidays
@DrLawn, it's great in the summer with beautiful walks but I would highly renting one with a pool as its hot
ski holidays
@DrLawn - sounds like you stayed in the Haute Tour building ?

@Pasigal - the town/ski-ing , summer , access means St Gervais sells itself !

@Jonny996 - I ran hotels for "major tour operators" for 24 years in the Alps and one reason we decided to live in St Gervais is because there are none here and never have been. The price was also 1/2 that of Megeve where we were renting before but the main reason was the fact that it is a genuine town with 6 schools, a local population, plenty of activities going on and it does not close down between seasons. That and the easy access to other resorts across the whole of the Alps - I covered an area from Val d'sere to Valloire to Alpe d"Huez , to Briancon, to Chatel and needed access to Geneva and Lyon, (as well as to Italy for time off) and they are all a straight forward drive.

The infrastructure of small owner operated hotels is not what the Tour Operators are looking for and even when the new 79 room hotel opens, it may mean a 5 room allotment from some of the more upmarket companies, but as they will then need a rep for the handful of clients in resort, it will not justify either a rep or a transfer bus for the resort, I actually doubt that will happen. It is not the type of resort that works for tour operators big or small - which is what makes is such a great place to live. The independent travellers who have discovered St Gervais over the years and told their friends about it means that like minded people come and will continue to visit. The investment in the ski lifts, the hotels, the L'Oreal investment in the spa etc means it will just improve over the years and the lift pass companie's programme of upgrading the area was announced last year so it is just getting better and better. The Folie Douce being in St Gervais has meant that it has given a stepping stone to their extensions into Chamonix with a stand alone restaurant and now the hotel , so a well calculated move. There are still improvements to make with the Igloo and Chez le Tante for example and to ensure the lifts run at an optimum level, but it has been achieved elsewhere so no reason it will not happen here. Onwards and upwards
snow report
Anyone local got any updates as it if this is going ahead?
snow conditions
@stgervais estate agent, Hello! We are interested in purchasing in Saint Germain. Are you able to advise on properties for sale and update on the infrastructure mentioned above? Would love to have an update on the area and any new developments?
snow conditions
@JMB, maybe you could use the private messaging service to contact them? Or perhaps wait for people to reply to your thread instead of spamming every one you find that mentions St Gervais or Chamonix. You're bumping up some very old threads which will make our snowHeads very suspicious and they will just ignore.
ski holidays
Apologies, I didn't mean to cause a headaches. I'm new to the forum, and didn't realise sending a PM was possible. Also didn't realise everyone would receive a notofcation Eh oh!
latest report
Look at French property angels website, Kate Scott is the StG rep & she's very helpful. As is Andrew Morgan of Leggett
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy