Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Austria worth the extra money?

Poster: A snowHead
@turms2, when I go to ski amade in one week I will ski Flachau, wagrain, alpendorf, flachauwinkl/kleinarl, zauchensee, altenmarkt, radstadt, schladming, hauser kaibling, reiteralm. I will only need to drive 25mins for the last 3, and then to only one of the three. The rest I can get to lift served from Flachau apart from a 30 second shuttle between flachauwinkl and zauch. I might decide to go to mulbach to do the Hoch Konig tour, or the gasteins. Mulbach is about 30 min, gasteins about 50mins I think. Also taking in forstau for half a day, perhaps Eben ...both great for a quick detour. The lift pass is excellent value IMHO. I've been to Filzmoos and was bored to tears after about 4 hours. If someone only wants to ski filzmoos then I agree a local pass would be useful, but so much of amade is lift linked now or a short drive then why wouldn't you take advantage?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-06-21 14:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@turms2, the majority of week-long (or more) visitors to Ski Amadé bring cars and have the ability to use many different ski areas. The shorter term visitors (day or weekend) buy individual day passes for wherever they want to ski. The cost of the lift pass is comparable to other larger Austrian ski areas, and several areas are interlinked such as Flachau/Flachauwinkl/Wagrain/Alpendorf, Schladming/Haus/Reiteralm, Hochkönig, Gasteins. So yes maybe someone spending the whole week in a small area with no transport is getting less value for money, but they are not the majority of guests.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lift passes which include a wider area typically do so without adding to the overall cost, or with a minimal uplift to reflect the flexibility. Multi-day passes already have an element of discount built in, and the more committed you are to the area then the more discount you get.

Here's a comparison using the 21/22 prices for peak season:

Area1 Day2 days3 days4 days5 days6 days
Saalbach60.50119175222.50266302
Ski AmadeN/A121181237284299
Zillertal57.50114159.50199238.50277
Salzburg Superski66129187243292320

Zillertal prices are for Mayrhofen only for 1 or 2 days, then for the whole valley.

Single day tickets are available in each of the Ski Amade regions which cover the local slopes only - in 2020/21 for Snowspace Salzburg (Flachau/Wagrain/etc) this was €58, while for Filzmoos it was €49 - the difference is quite literally small beer, and lost entirely for 3+ days, plus who would want to ski the 20Km of slopes in Filzmoos for more than a day or two?

Edited to correct Superski prices - posted the preseason prices by mistake
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
until one point i agree with you.
But except Salzburger Sportwelt und 4Berge, the other areas are not from alone complete connected not each other
e.g. Bad Gastein is not connected with Dorfgastein

In generall i find the price-politik of ski amade (and from some other areas in AUT) simply a reason to keep families away.
And from a long perspective view, is completely wrong. According to statistics children when they grow up, usually go for skiing where they used to go with their parents. Ski resorts have to thing a little bit more in the futuer. If you are not attractive for families, you will lose customeres in the future. Of course SkiAmade has not such a concern because they are next to Salzburg and Münich

But I have to accept that the saison pass is relativ cheap comparing with other saison tickets (even if there is not a big glacier inclusive)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Interestingly, skiing in Saalbach or Ski Amade for more than one day is apparently cheaper with a Superski card than with a local pass

@ousekjarr, that doesn’t sound right. Whenever I’ve checked, the Salzburg Superski pass has been about 10% dearer than the Ski Alpin card (as one would expect). The former covers numerous resorts, including those covered by the latter (the Ski Circus + Zell am See/Kaprun).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@turms2, when I go to ski amade in one week I will ski Flachau, wagrain, alpendorf, flachauwinkl/kleinarl, zauchensee, altenmarkt, radstadt, schladming, hauser kaibling, reiteralm. I will only need to drive 25mins for the last 3, and then to only one of the three. The rest I can get to lift served from Flachau apart from a 30 second shuttle between flachauwinkl and zauch. I might decide to go to mulbach to do the Hoch Konig tour, or the gasteins. Mulbach is about 30 min, gasteins about 50mins I think. Also taking in forstau for half a day, perhaps Eben ...both great for a quick detour. The lift pass is excellent value IMHO. I've been to Filzmoos and was bored to tears after about 4 hours. If someone only wants to ski filzmoos then I agree a local pass would be useful, but so much of amade is lift linked now or a short drive then why wouldn't you take advantage?

few years ago i did the same....
but with small children, is out of question.
And althouth i want to go to Filzmoos or Radstadt i have to choose other resorts, because i doesnt worth to buy a ticket for 300 euro, and for 800km slopes, when i will stuck in 20km for a week....i dont understadn why they dont have this option (and other resorts also)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, yup, already spotted and corrected that - see above. I had my doubts, which is why I went back and checked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s perhaps worth mentioning that buying a pass at pre-season prices (up to the first week of December) gives a significant saving, as does buying a full season pass for an area that is to be visited for three weeks or more in the same season. I remember having three separate weeks in Saalbach in the 2006/7 season - at Christmas, mid-February, and mid-March, and I also remember kicking myself when I realised that we could have saved ourselves quite a bit by buying full season passes, and even more at the pre-season prices.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Interestingly, skiing in Saalbach or Ski Amade for more than one day is apparently cheaper with a Superski card than with a local pass

@ousekjarr, that doesn’t sound right. Whenever I’ve checked, the Salzburg Superski pass has been about 10% dearer than the Ski Alpin card (as one would expect). The former covers numerous resorts, including those covered by the latter (the Ski Circus + Zell am See/Kaprun).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, exactly - at €795 with the early bird discount, the Superski season card works out at about 15 days based on trips where a 6 day pass would normally be purchased. If you ski for 3 weeks at 6 days per week, the last 3 days are effectively free Cool

For someone who visits 3 times per year or more, it really should be a no-brainer, especially as they've now offered a prorata refund of unused days if you don't manage to exceed that threshold due to travel restrictions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

due to travel restrictions.

Or in fact due to any reason. I know someone who did only 13 days, despite living in Saalbach all winter, and who got a no-quibble refund of €60.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@turms2, Ski Amadé has free lift passes for children from mid-March including Easter school holidays. It is a great destination for families and bringing children does not confine people to one unlinked area.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This seems crazy to me -- are we saying that a beginner in Zell am See would have to buy the area pass covering Kaprun/Saalbach !!!

Added to having to equip themselves with Ski gear/clothing, the extras costs are just going to put people off....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, a beginner in Zell am See still has to get the lift up the mountain, as the only slopes which finish low down are not ones you'd take a beginner on to. Plus the additional cost on an adult 6-day peak season pass to include access to the Glemmtal was effectively zero - they added the extra area, but the annual lift pass price increase was essentially the same as previously, at about 6%. Yes, that's higher than inflation, but they have a significant capital investment programme in lift upgrades, snow making, parks, etc and that money has to come from somewhere. There wasn't a doubling of the pass price to reflect the massively larger area now available, and frankly, very few people actually make use of it in either direction other than as a one-off day out. Coming from the Saalbach side, Zell just isn't that attractive in the main. From the Zell side, the access is into the edge of the Glemmtal area, and it's not that easy to get back, so for example it's only really possible to leave from Zell, do the Ski Circus circuit, and get back to Zell if you're a pretty quick skier who doesn't mess about with things like coffee or lunch.

In Saalbach or Hinterglemm, the beginner areas are at low level, and served by short lifts - making those free wouldn't cost the lift company much, but for anyone who makes it onto those slopes, graduating to the top half of the mountain is typically 1-2 days later.

A few places have free lifts for beginners, or a points-based system where each lift deducts an appropriate amount from your balance. I've always found it more cost-effective just to buy the pass, which no doubt is what they'd prefer - the points system really only works for someone who takes the lift up each day to have lunch on the mountain, and then skis back down.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
@albob, a beginner in Zell am See still has to get the lift up the mountain

Not strictly true - there are a couple of short drags at the bottom of the cable cars, and a couple more in Schuttdorf. I guess they are only good for a day or so at best

Saalbach is the only resort where I've ever seen a chairlift on a nursery slope at village level
ski holidays
seems I am just out of touch ( long time since I was a beginner with a paper card that had to be 'punched' !!)

Just checked prices in Selva -- Local pass = 252 euro for 6 days :: dolomitisuperski = 272 euro for 6 days

No other options available..
ski holidays
@turms2, You can buy a family day pass for the Filzmoos area only. Last year for 2 Adults and 2 Children, the cost was €126 per day Mon-Fri and €116 Sat/Sun. So assuming you ski 6 days and one is a weekend, the total cost would only be €746. Hope that helps. Link Here: https://www.filzmoos.ski/en/tickets-prices/tickets-prices/
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@turms2, You can buy a family day pass for the Filzmoos area only. Last year for 2 Adults and 2 Children, the cost was €126 per day Mon-Fri and €116 Sat/Sun. So assuming you ski 6 days and one is a weekend, the total cost would only be €746. Hope that helps. Link Here: https://www.filzmoos.ski/en/tickets-prices/tickets-prices/

yes indeed...it is cheaper than 6day passes...but assuming that we have to go to full season (because of the school holidays) it is also a little bit discouraging waiting everyday for the day tickets. I dont know...can you buy 6 day tickets in advance? or maybe upload every night for the next day
i have to check that...
ski holidays
@turms2, I've always found the ticket office very helpfull and they will find you the cheapest deal. I'm sure they can do it in advance.
latest report
There might be a self service machine. I've seen them popping up
snow conditions
one of the reasons we stopped skiing as a family in the French Alps were the exorbitant 'family' prices - which penalise larger families - many Austrian resorts have free child places aged 10 and under and half-price reductions all the way to age 18
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, same for us. Child tickets in some areas in France were finishing at 14, or the child price wasn’t too different compared to the adult price.

In Austria most areas a child is up to 16 with a decent discount. A youth ticket 16-19 and then there is often a student ticket I think to 21. Our late season trips were often based around areas the offered a free children’s pass with an adult’s. Although in fairness, we took advantage of these in Les Arcs and Serre Chevalier as well as Ski Amade and Saalbach.
latest report
Around here, parents with younger children/babies, where sharing childcare may exclude couples skiing together, it’s possible for them to share one ski pass. A good idea, I think.
latest report
@hammerite, That's right, our favourite Austrian resort is free for the under tens, half price for under 15 and around a third off for 15-18 yr olds. Given the profile of our family 15, 13 and 9 this season we would have saved 600 euros compared to the resort we used to ski in France. And that is before the rip off French on mountain prices, but that is a whole different thread!
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
....... the rip off French on mountain prices, ......
Sums up exactly why Austria is value for money.
snow conditions
Whilst I agree that, particularly in the purpose-built resorts, it's possible to be ripped off on the mountain in France, those who constantly generalise about this being an overall, insoluble problem simply don't know how to follow their noses and local recommendations.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I am sure that’s true up to a point, but is there an on-mountain restaurant in France that sells a half-litre of beer for 4 euros or less? Puzzled
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, to be perfectly honest I don't know, since I don't drink beer. I don't usually have a problem finding decent wine at a reasonable price, though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, I know of several bars and restaurants in Serre Chevalier that do. It also offers family lift tickets up to age 18, and cheaper passes for groups of 3 people under 25.
We started skiing there because it was cheaper than the large Tarentaise resorts.
I'm with @Hurtle that it is quite possible to ski in France without being ripped off.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, @Hurtle, I am not saying skiing in France per se is a rip off, but rather the resorts I used to ski offered less value for money than the Austrian I now frequent.

Serre Chevalier sounds good value and I will certainly look in to it as am always on the look out for good value, snow sure and extensive resorts! (Just not many of these in the French Alps Eh oh! )
snow report
Snowsartre wrote:
@Hells Bells, @Hurtle, I am not saying skiing in France per se is a rip off, but rather the resorts I used to ski offered less value for money than the Austrian I now frequent.

+1
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@Snowsartre, I know of several bars and restaurants in Serre Chevalier that do. It also offers family lift tickets up to age 18, and cheaper passes for groups of 3 people under 25.
We started skiing there because it was cheaper than the large Tarentaise resorts.
I'm with @Hurtle that it is quite possible to ski in France without being ripped off.

i think thats happens because Serre Chevalier is not a purpose built resort
I have no experience with France (unfortunaltely) and i cannot make a comparison

However (my opinion) we cannot compare accommodation in Radstadt and going with the car to some skiresorts every day and on the other hand Tignes or Val Thorens
Val Thorens or Tignes are comparable with Kühtai or Obertauern

At present i am searching something for April 2022...and the offers from Kühtai or Obertauern are comparable with Val Thorens.

However i dont know what you get with this amount of money in France. I think the quality of appartments in AUT is a little bit higher als France
snow report
turms2 wrote:
Tignes or Val Thorens

At present i am searching something for April 2022...and the offers from Kühtai or Obertauern are comparable with Val Thorens.

I've not been to Obertauern, but I have been to Tignes, and I know both Kühtai and Val Thorens pretty well – if you are comparing, one obvious difference is the massive size of the two French resorts at least compared to Kühtai, which would fit into Val Thorens several times!
ski holidays
I have been to Obertauern. It is very pleasant, with nice hotels (I stayed in the Marietta)....but for skiing, is not comparable to the Trois Valley or Espace Killy.

My stay was over 20 years ago and back then, little English was spoken, either in the Ski School or Hotel....though that has probably changed now.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
I have been to Obertauern. It is very pleasant, with nice hotels (I stayed in the Marietta)....but for skiing, is not comparable to the Trois Valley or Espace Killy.

My stay was over 20 years ago and back then, little English was spoken, either in the Ski School or Hotel....though that has probably changed now.

A fairer comparison would be the Trois Valley vs Ski Amade. (which I believe is 600 km vs 760 km of piste).
ski holidays
turms2 wrote:

However (my opinion) we cannot compare accommodation in Radstadt and going with the car to some skiresorts every day and on the other hand Tignes or Val Thorens

However i dont know what you get with this amount of money in France. I think the quality of appartments in AUT is a little bit higher als France

It is a long time since I skied in France but at one time I spent my time mostly there, most of the main places Val d'Isere/Tignes, La Plagne, 3V & Portes de Soleil.

My general impression (though it might be a bit out of date) is that the main French resorts are high altitude purpose built with little (if any) life outside of the winter season and maybe a month in summer. Lots of blocks of apartments and hotels with no architectural merit. What they do offer which is rare in Austria is genuine ski in - ski out, the various resort satellites are linked by pistes, often there is no need to use ski buses as you simply ski to / from your accommodation to the nearest lift. My experience was that the apartments were very small but perhaps that has changed a bit. There is no doubt many of the ski areas are very good with a wide variety on offer for all abilities.

However my opinion is that Austrian skiing (I would include the Südtirol & much of Switzerland in this) offers a much better experience. The basic reason is that, overwhelmingly, these resorts are based in villages which have an existence outside of skiing (even if skiing is hugely important). This has an effect on costs too, with better cheaper apartments, cheaper food, an M Preis or Spar has pretty much the same costs in St Anton or Kitzbühel as in Innsbruck. Of course you can find places that charge top end prices and some of the ski pass costs in the bigger resorts cannot be described as cheap but there are smaller more family friendly resorts which offer more "value for money".

In ski terms you cant really compare Val Thorens with either Kuhtai or Obertauern. Val Thorens is part of the huge 3V area and has a wide variety of high altitude skiing. It is however not much more than a high altitude purpose built resort, with little character. It can also be a very bleak place in poor weather (as can Obertauern).

You can have a very good ski holiday in all these places, from what you have said I would say the Austrian ones are better for a family ski holiday but lots of people like the French resorts too.
snow conditions
a comparison between Obertauern and Val Thorens is possible only if under the aspect of purpose built resorts...then someonce can see that Austria is not so cheaper as Fracen
A Comparison between Trois Valley and Ski Amade i think it is not possible....maybe Wagrain - Flachau - Zauchensee- St.Johann with e.g. a part from Trois Valley but not complete Ski Amade with Trois Valley

definitely ski amade is cheaper than Trois Valley ..especially if you stay 15 km away from the lifts...
But Obertauenr or Kühtai are not so cheap....even if they are not so big

I think the onlye Purpose Built resorts in AUT are Obertauern, Kühtai, Zurs and maybe Turracher Höhe...the prices in these places are almost the same with the most purpose built resorts in France. Even if Kühtai is 1/10 from VAl Thorens.

However i am talking only about accommodation prices...

On the other hand, the best (i can imagine) about France is ski in ski out.

Unfortunalte the ski in ski out in Austria is very expensive. Of course the cheap option (ca 5 - 15 km away) has the mins : you have to take the bus, and sometimes they are a not so nice experience, or you have to take a car, and then you have to search for parking place.

And if you choose the high season, (Christmas, carneval Week etc) then sometimes is not so pleasant
ski holidays
Quote:

Lots of blocks of apartments and hotels with no architectural merit.

Clearly you haven't been to Les Arcs which holds the Architecture Contemporaine Remarquable (Notable Contemporary Architecture) label, awarded since 2003 by the Ministry of Culture, or even Flaine or Avoriaz. You may not like their merits but they do have them.

See https://www.dezeen.com/2019/07/12/les-arcs-architecture-charlotte-perriand-50-years/

or https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/nov/30/skiing-les-arcs-an-architectural-ski-tour-50-years-anniversary-modernist
snow conditions
@johnE, depends on your view of "architectural merit" Very Happy . I admit it was around 30 years ago that I was last in Les Arcs but I didnt see many buildings that might qualify for such praise, even if you are a fan of Le Corbusier. Perhaps I am biased but my memory seems to suggest endless Pierre & Vaccances blocks dotted around the Tarentaise. No complaints about the skiing though.
snow report
@munich_irish, A couple points about the older architecture of Les Arcs (1600 in particular). I am biased since I have an apartment there

It is almost invisible from the valley. It houses 10,000s of people but until recently you wouldn't know it. The recent craze for wood cladding buildings means that the newer developments such as the wooden clad chalet type buildings of Vallandry are garish from a distance. The strange steeply roofed chalets of 1600 are buried in the woods. You would only find them from one piste.

There are many interesting nooks and crannies within the buildings, with large ariums, entrance halls, ramps, and subteranium corridors. A few years ago my niece was shocked when I led her up a set of stairs she'd never noticed before straight to a lift. Even after 17 years I still find new and interesting places with in the 1600. And still get lost in the corridors and alleyways of Arc 1800. Finding the way to the bus station is, for some reason, tricky.

Because it is high on a hill side the views across the Isere valley are staggering.

It is ideal for families being car free and not needing busses etc to get to the lifts (for some reason my son was forever leaving gloves and ski poles on busses when he was young)

It was built for a single purpose that is to provide skiing to the people. It does it very well and surely that should be the main criteria of architectural merit.

IMHO skiing has changed a lot over the last 30 years. In fact things have moved on a lot over the last 10 years. As have the ski resorts. Les Arcs, while still very much a holiday destination now has a 2 month summer season and there are people there almost all year. I wish I could be there now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy