Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is Austria worth the extra money?

Poster: A snowHead
@BoardieK, very easy to avoid the cheesy music (give it a try though! snowHead ). Less easy to avoid gondolas.

You could avoid them though if you head to somewhere like Forstau/Fageralm. It’s a small area, but a fantastic place to ski. Close to Schladming, but off the beaten track a little. Filzmoos has a gondola, but if I remember correctly, it only serves one hill, the other hills are all chair served.

Nearly every small village with a hill has a drag lift, but you probably don’t want somewhere that small.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Pass Thurn end of Kitzbuhel can be accessed almost entirely by chairs. There are only two bubbles which can be avoided if you head up from the Resterhohe chair. There is a massive car park there as well but I doubt they would allow camping.... If you hold your breath on the 3S, you could ski a lot of Kitzbuhel as well. The 3S is also a quiet lift with massive capacity so you could probably time it to have one to yourself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski circus is gondolas , though it’s very easy to avoid cheesy music
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies, a little thread hijack but it had already drifted sufficiently. I have no fear or hatred of gondolas (learnt in Solden) but over recent years have become used to finding places where a 2 minute walk will get me onto an empty chair/drag/piste with no valley bottom hustle and I like it.

I had a look at Fitzmoos, the carpark has the potential for a night or two and there is a campsite along the road at Dachstein. I also liked the look of Schladming which someone posted a plane shot of in "Guess the ski area" recently. Fageralm looks like my sort of place too.

I had a look at the Resterhohe carpark too and there is an overnight parking fee shown so it might be a goer, though even massive carparks don't always look big from the wheel of an 8m motorhome when, busy!

Small areas don't matter in a van, a couple of cheap days and move on to the next place.

Are all the areas mentioned on the Salzburger pass? (edit: scrub that question, found the map)

Carrying on. Now that I've studied the Salzburger pass area (we go for 2 months) I can see there are lots of options including a motorhome Stellpatz at Flachau.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder what the OP has decided?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BoardieK, flachau is a good vase especially with the lift served links to other resorts . I would say that of course. The parking is in front of our apartment block near the achterjet (if that's the official one for motorhomes...there's always plenty parked overnight)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BoardieK, Plus one for Flachau obviously. There is no need to go anywhere near said Apres bars if you don't want to. There's a lovely cafe/bakery on the high street that does very nice Spritzers at the end of the day. Flachau has chairs bottom to top via the Starjet lifts, alternatively park up at Flachauwinkel and hit the area from another direction. Let me know when you're in town and I'll show you around if you'd like.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo wrote:
Yeah I get that it snows lower in Austria most years.....big difference surely between eastern end of Austria and western end, just like there's a big difference between northern french alps and southern french alps. Pendantic but true.

I've definitely found the east is often colder and with snow to lower in Dec, Jan, Feb; but that due to the generally lower altitudes spring hits harder earlier in the East too. NW (Arlberg/Vorarlberg usually still gets more snow (though some of the eastern 'snow holes' can really surprise...), but that's more due to topography and being first in line for storms from both north and west. Resorts in the west but tucked further into the alpine ridge (like Ischgl and Serfaus for example) don't have the same advantage.

polo wrote:
Austria must have a more diverse music offering surely than St Anton anthems? (worst part was the daily repetition). I dare not press play on any of the above.

TBH it's been years since I did any in resort apres as these days I just come home from skiing then go out in the evening, and obviously the city beats any ski resort for nightlife (you won't hear any apres music haha!), but I think St Anton has got worse from this perspective compared to say 10 years ago. A lot of the cooler/better nightlife spots have closed, and what's left is generally either more high end or is the famous cheesy spots. Other than Mayrhofen's big festival I have no idea what other resorts are doing, but in normal times Innsbruck offers pretty diverse music choice and festivals ranging from some seriously experimental electronic stuff at Heart Of Noise to really amazing blues and jazz at New Orleans Festival.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All this talk of cheesy après music - just get some ear plugs!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mjit wrote:

buchanan101 wrote:
Agree with you on Eurotrash - one particular bar up the mountain in Ischgl is just horrid because of the music playing outside (I guess anyone who has been to Ischgl will know the one, whether they like the music or not).

That would probably be Paznauner Thaya from memory - but much like the apres in town in Ischgl if you don't like it, don't stop there. Idalp will generally have a more rock playlist, while I'm not sure they play any music at Schwarzwand. In town you have the Golden Eagle for rock or Kiwi Bar/Trofana Royal hotel bar/Hotel Post bar for a civilised, music-free drink.

Yes, it's the Paznauner Thaya - and I don't stop there apart from earlier in the day - Ischgl is a little short of mountain restaurants compared with other Austrian resorts - tend to be biggies. Yes Idalp better, and yes to the Kiwi Bar - much more my music
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo wrote:
Yeah I get that it snows lower in Austria most years.....big difference surely between eastern end of Austria and western end, just like there's a big difference between northern french alps and southern french alps. Pendantic but true.

Yes, and Ischgl is 1500m and Solden is 1400m - around 500m to 700m higher than Kitz/Zell am See etc.

But then aspect comes in to it - Ischgl has better snow on resort runs as NW facing not SE as Solden
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My kids (now 19 and 21) have never had a problem with Austrial Twins. If I can share one with some hairy arsed DLA partner then they can share with their sibling Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@holidayloverxx, Yes it's just across the river from there, I'd guess it gets full of German vans.

@RedandWhiteFlachau, Thanks for the offer, I did Sella Ronda in two hours so I won't hold you up. My wife is a fair weather skier so I'm on my own most of the time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BoardieK, is that the Wohnmobil- und Wohnwagenstellplatz as shown on googlemaps? I had no idea that was there. It's a bit of a hike to the lifts. the main parking is at Unterberggasse, the space around the Hotel Bergdiamant Garni. There's always motor homes parked overnight there. no hook ups I guess
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Leonard Smalls wrote:
Personally I can't be doing with any piste-side bars blasting out poor quality muzak; I'm there to ski in beautiful mountains, not be deafened by the cheesiest sounds this side of Eurovision!
However, saying that we did enjoy the Forsthofalm's DJ in Leogang last time (2019!). He played jazzy house at a reasonable volume with a pretty decent sax player jamming along. I was very happy to sit there and watch the sun go down with a couple of weissbiers before wobbling down the sheet ice just below it...

While I'd much prefer to have 'Austrian drinking music' than anything with a name involving the word "house" - but now we're just getting into personal preferences.

And @BoardieK - music on the mountain is no more or less intrusive in Austria than it is in France. For every mountain-side bar belting out The Hoff in Austria there's something like a Folie Douce belting out dance music in France - but ski for 60 seconds past either and you can't hear them any more. Neither are as annoying as the lady's front bottom skiing around with their Bluetooth speaker spewing whatever their personal taste in music all over the mountain.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

buchanan101 wrote:
Agree with you on Eurotrash - one particular bar up the mountain in Ischgl is just horrid because of the music playing outside (I guess anyone who has been to Ischgl will know the one, whether they like the music or not).

That would probably be Paznauner Thaya from memory - but much like the apres in town in Ischgl if you don't like it, don't stop there. Idalp will generally have a more rock playlist, while I'm not sure they play any music at Schwarzwand. In town you have the Golden Eagle for rock or Kiwi Bar/Trofana Royal hotel bar/Hotel Post bar for a civilised, music-free drink.

Yes, it's the Paznauner Thaya - and I don't stop there apart from earlier in the day - Ischgl is a little short of mountain restaurants compared with other Austrian resorts - tend to be biggies. Yes Idalp better, and yes to the Kiwi Bar - much more my music

We find there are actually too many mountain restaurants in Ischgl.
Sunday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit Brot.
Monday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit Pommes.
Tuesday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit...
Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 20-05-21 15:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
A pox on ANY so-called music I can hear while I'm skiing. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
... or in lifts,shopping centres, passing cars, fellow-passengers on public transport, etc etc
latest report
Hurtle wrote:

Even on the Juke Box run in Schladming? Love that one
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, there are no exceptions to music I haven't chosen to listen to. Literally none.
latest report
@Hurtle, thats the beauty of it...you choose your tune at the top and ski down as it plays on the speakers. The issue is whether there is anything that you would choose
latest report
@holidayloverxx, That's how I spotted it, zoom to an area of interest and search for camping. Good to know that they are lenient with motorhomes in other carparks too.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Hurtle, thats the beauty of it...you choose your tune at the top and ski down as it plays on the speakers. The issue is whether there is anything that you would choose
oh,OK. That'll be the Overture to The Marriage of Figaro for me then. Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

Hear, hear, so to speak!
latest report
^^ +1
If your thing is just eating up miles of flat piste and getting pissed in a club you can find anywhere in the world including a beach resort, then you will be hard pushed to beat France ... There are prettier places to eat up miles of piste with better places to eat and/or picnic for a lot less money and bars and clubs just as lively ..... its not all about banging nails into a tree stump, oompah music, bad farts and sausages ... but the option is there ... Austria will not disappoint and youll wonder why you didnt try it earlier
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
oh,OK. That'll be the Overture to The Marriage of Figaro for me then. Laughing

Ride of the Valkyries despite its probable naffness punches up your general level of aggression though potentially a risky choice in Austria. As does New Rose by the Damned which I am sure you are intimately acquainted with wink
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
ski holidays
@BordieK, we've done Austria in our motorhome 3 times so far (Mayerhofen, Solden & Schladming), either Xmas or Easter due to our jobs (teachers). Since we tend to stay in the one resort once there we have used campsites, which tend to be more expensive, but at least you have electricity, laundry facilities, and immaculately kept showers and toilets. Usually make a straight run down with one overnight stop, stay around 10 days then start a more leisurely return with some sightseeing thrown in.

It has been mention but it's probably worth reiterating, since the resort's in Austria are generally in the valleys and not in the slopes, they have much more character, and more to do if the weather is bad or you want a day off skiing. The gondolas and cluster of surrounding hire shops also usually have ski lockers that can be rented, even if you have your own equipment. It means a nice leisurely walk in normal shoes, or free bus ride, unencumbered by skis and poles through pretty streets at the start and end of the day. Much as I also like ski in, ski out, I quite enjoy the walk to warm up and warm down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ravelin, My wife will appreciate the easy access to shops rather than being isolated on some windy col! Returning to the original question I know it's a lot more expensive to spend 2 months on Austrian campsites than on French aires but we've had some very cheap trips in recent years, in Switzerland no less, and it seems to be the right time for a different experience.
ps. It's easy to walk a mile in snowboard boots, just unpop the Boas, board under arm and march.
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

buchanan101 wrote:

We find there are actually too many mountain restaurants in Ischgl.
Sunday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit Brot.
Monday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit Pommes.
Tuesday - Ski to Alp Bella for Huhn mit...
Very Happy

What do you do if the link to Samnaun is shut?

Know the place. Samnaun side seems to be better served with restaurants anyway considering it is the smaller side.
ski holidays
I think it was on this thread someone was talking about night trains. Anyway, the postponed Amsterdam to Vienna (via Innsbruck) is starting this weekend, with more routes planned for the winter:

ORF wrote:
In addition to the classic ÖBB night train destinations such as Venice, Rome, Milan, Zurich, Hamburg, Berlin, Amsterdam or Warsaw, a night train to Paris and Strasbourg is to be added with the timetable change from December of this year - provided, of course, there are no further travel restrictions due to the pandemic.

Brussels also appears to be served by the new overnight route. https://orf.at/stories/3214155/
ski holidays
Lots of information on the night sleeper services on Man in Seat 61

https://www.seat61.com/index-mobile.htm
ski holidays
looking at zillteral lift passes... prices have gone up a fair bit!
287 for 6 days
19/20 season was 267
snow report
A 7.5% increase over two rather financially eventful years doesn't seem out of line. One could point to Epic's 20% price reduction, but that's apples and oranges. We saw lots of ticket price increases this year and expect more.

Over here, talk is of inflation...it appears we are beyond ready to spend and it is already happening. Lots of people ended up saving a ton of money unintentionally while cloistered, and they're going to unload. Some items remain unchanged, but in a notable example, the cost of lumber has quadrupled in the last year.

As for answering the OP's original question: yes, even if Austria costs more (which is at a minimum debatable, and I think incorrect) I feel it is worth it.
snow report
@buchanan101, The link to Samnaum village is quite often shut in bad weather but the links to the Alp Bella restaurant much less so.
ski holidays
Quote:

looking at zillteral lift passes... prices have gone up a fair bit!
287 for 6 days
19/20 season was 267

@Mr.Egg, Thank you for making me feel a lot better about today having shelled out €1,058 for two full year Alpincard passes for me and Mrs TT! It hurt, but at least we’re good for hiking in summer and skiing in winter until next May.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
@buchanan101, us too, thrown out of Anton Friday 13th......all the apres bars closed most of that week, strangest week's skiing ever I think, we ate bread, cheese and ham in our room most evenings and avoided gondolas all week. rolling eyes

No way up the mountain in Ischgl without taking one of the 3 gondolas, but the village became quite quiet from midweek and they limited occupancy to 50%. No other gondolas in Ischgl (unlike Obergurgl who seem obsessed by them)

The Friday was strange (I had just cracked short linked carved turns like a pro ...in my head) and was going to download (resort runs are a bit crap in Ischgl) when I saw all 3 gondolas were running at a very slow crawl, so skied down instead. Some people were stuck on the gondolas for a couple of hours; the police had stopped them, to what end I don't know

Then it took 5 hours to get out of the one-road-access valley; luckily I was by myself in a car; crowded buses would have been petri-dishes. Police were stopping one car at a time, not even dealing with them in parallel.

I was in Galtur that week, with a great weeks skiing ended with a "youre leaving in an hour" text while getting ready for the evening meal. A late arrived coach journey to the road block to be turned around to go back to the hotel. Only to get five mins from hotel, to turn around and head back out of the valley. We where planning to get the a gondola back down in to Ischgl after a busy ski day, but as they had all come to a "stop" we had to ski down. A few people from out Hotel had a wait while suck in one of the Gondolas for an hour or so.
snow report
Its been awhile since Ive skiied France but Ive never found it cheaper than Austria. Self catering go me is a false economy if you eat out and dont cook (its a holiday Im not cooking). For circa £1300 that gets me a week in Galtur/Ischgl including full area lift pass and superior ski hire, in a 4* Hotel, full board, with superb food. Yes, its 10-20 mins on a bus to which ever lift/area we are going to ski. Ischgl has an extensive ski area (like France but in Austria). Plenty of mountain resteraunts and bars, with plenty of cheesy europop and 70's hits on offer. Not forgetting Austria is far cleaner.
snow conditions
Quote:

For circa £1300 that gets me a week

Gulp! £1300 for a week's ski holiday Is that per person or for a couple?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy