Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

last minute or in advance

Poster: A snowHead
I have a dilemma, 2 of us are looking to get away next Jan. Given that people haven't been away for so long are there going to be last minute deals available? should we DIY it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With kids book in advance, if not take the risk.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would book in advance.
People will be chomping at the bit to get away if travelling restrictions are lifted
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i would want to see confirmation that no quarantine etc is required before committing unless cancellation policy allows for refund etc under any covid circumstance
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually book my ski holidays a day or two before I actually go, and it's perfectly doable, and is very beneficial when restrictions can change practically overnight, and you might need to change your plan very quickly, although the season coming up will probably be incredibly busy, so it might not be an option to book last-minute next year, depending on what you're after. (Please ignore my ski advice, as it is notoriously awful.)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Each to their own, of course. Personally I'd rather decide last minute, because I'm not great at predicting where the best snow is.

However... there are people out there currently offering full refunds for Covid related cancellations, which are the main additional risk over ordinary times. Hence that's risk is manageable if you pick an operator with such a guarantee and which you think is likely to remain afloat.

As far as saving money... that would only work if you think capacity is going to exceed demand. I'm not sure that's how I'd expect things to play out this coming season. I'm not betting on it, but perhaps people will spend two seasons' worth of cash in one season, and demand may be rather significant in the coming season... and prices are hardly going to be lower once that kicks in, I'd say.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kj82, if quarantines are required next winter, vaccines will have failed and so will the skiing economy, if not the whole economy.

@alan_utchi, how fixed are you to exact dates, airports and destinations? If not very, wait till last minute. Otherwise worst case book flights now (if you can, not all are released yet, understandably). Presuming 2 people = couple and no kids, you'll almost certainly be able to find accommodation somewhere.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's hard to call but I'd expect TO capacity much reduced from the past due to those that have gone bust and the Brexit dividend of not having staff. Add to that a bit of caution over capacity and it's entirely possible that last minute places may not be the bargain hunt of old but a premium priced auction.

So alternately if you are going DIY there's usually nil benefit to not securing flights as far in advance as possible. Add that to a cancellable Booking.com etc booking and you're reasonably provided for.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If when flights start being available you can get convenient flights to a good location for not much money, I'd do that. Alternatively, if you are flexible on dates, road-trip it with an open mind and a decent paper road atlas and be prepared to try some new ski-destinations, perhaps some you've never heard of. That would be my choice if I were flexible as to dates. It's called the Serendipity Option. Sort of what I was doing when I found a destination I'd never heard of and ended up buying an apartment and skiing there for 15 years.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alan_utchi, I would book flights with BA now (because the terms and conditions are so favourable, and the prices are generally good), and leave the rest until nearer the time.

If you pick any of Geneva, Zurich, Munich, Salzburg or Innsbruck, you'll have enough choice of resorts that 2 people will definitely find accommodation.

If you happen to find a better deal with a tour operator, or want to go somewhere different, BA flights booked at present still have almost complete flexibility. IMO that isn't going to last much longer, and flexible tickets are typically 3-5x the price of normal tickets.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Kj82, if quarantines are required next winter, vaccines will have failed and so will the skiing economy, if not the whole economy.

@alan_utchi, how fixed are you to exact dates, airports and destinations? If not very, wait till last minute. Otherwise worst case book flights now (if you can, not all are released yet, understandably). Presuming 2 people = couple and no kids, you'll almost certainly be able to find accommodation somewhere.

That's my take. outside school holidays there is always accommodation
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, point is to ensure you can get a refund if we dont return to free movement by next season. quarantine might still be in place due to overly cautious government policy, not just because vaccines will have failed. i would want line of sight on free movement before committing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kj82, on the grounds that quarantines are beginning to be relaxed now simply because vaccines are working as designed and expected what do you reasonably think might cause them to come back into place next year?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
come back in place? they need to be fully relaxed first.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends how fussy you are, and about what.

If you only care about chasing the snow and are happy to compromise on everything else book last minute - even half term you'll probably find something somewhere with good snow, and for less than the same thing would have cost in advance.

However if it has to be in resort X/a 25* hotel suite/less the £200 for the week/etc then you're better off booking in advance, or you might not find something that ticks all your boxes.
ski holidays
@Kj82, they are only a couple of weeks away from being removed trans-Europe. The UK being a 3rd country of course puts it in a different position.
latest report
fingers crossed they are removed as planned and remain so - for everybody's sake.
ski holidays
@Kj82, because otherwise vaccines have failed and in a few years time we'll be back to hunting and gathering!

Mind you, there should be some good venison to be had round the Cairngorms if you're handy with a bow and have touring skis snowHead
ski holidays
Last minute all the way, especially if you’re talking the low season Jan weeks. If you’re flexible just follow the snow / weather forecasts. There are always last minute bargains in those weeks or just DIY it - SH is a pretty good DIY travel agent!
snow conditions
it is clear that the vaccines work i just dont have faith in the panic merchants not to influence things.

the 3rd country entry rules will be a rude awakening for the brexit-lot.
snow conditions
alan_utchi wrote:
I have a dilemma, 2 of us are looking to get away next Jan. Given that people haven't been away for so long are there going to be last minute deals available? should we DIY it?

If it's avoiding new year totally and the February half term totally (which I think is what you mean by Jan) then it is the quietist part of the season and even if next season is busier than normal there should be no shortage of deals.

However, I think you are also asking two different questions that have some relationship but mostly unconnected:

1) Should I get a package from a TO or should I DIY? A lot of that depends on personal preference, how much you want to control/personalise, etc.

2) Should I book in advance? If you go DIY and flying you'll want to nail that asap as they rarely got any cheaper than on first release. Everything else and or TO can wait. And for January you could wait until last minute. Certainly for TO's the later the better.
latest report
Layne wrote:
alan_utchi wrote:

If it's avoiding new year totally and the February half term totally (which I think is what you mean by Jan) then it is the quietist part of the season and even if next season is busier than normal there should be no shortage of deals.

However, I think you are also asking two different questions that have some relationship but mostly unconnected:

1) Should I get a package from a TO or should I DIY? A lot of that depends on personal preference, how much you want to control/personalise, etc.

2) Should I book in advance? If you go DIY and flying you'll want to nail that asap as they rarely got any cheaper than on first release. Everything else and or TO can wait. And for January you could wait until last minute. Certainly for TO's the later the better.

If DIYing flying weekdays can be cheap even last minute
snow report
BobinCH wrote:

Sure, weekdays, maybe. I had to get last minute flights from Nice to Luton and back again when my father was ill. Wasn't exorbitant but I wouldn't have called them cheap either.

But weekend flights I think are a different matter. And that is most likely what people book for skiing trips. And actually it wouldn't even be weekend but Saturday specifically.
snow report
Layne wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Sure, weekdays, maybe. I had to get last minute flights from Nice to Luton and back again when my father was ill. Wasn't exorbitant but I wouldn't have called them cheap either.

But weekend flights I think are a different matter. And that is most likely what people book for skiing trips. And actually it wouldn't even be weekend but Saturday specifically.

is driving an option? lots of flexibility if so!
ski holidays
@alan_utchi, Why a dilemma, as long as you have free cancellation then if you find something now that you like at the right price then book it. You then have until your cancellation date to find something better/cheaper. I suspect that the limiting factor on last minute availability will be shortage of flights. Even if resort occupancy doubles this January resorts will not be full and there will be availability.
Sneaky tactic I spotted from a couple of the major TOs a couple of years back was that their headline price for their last minute holidays was very low but they had stripped the package back so they charged extra for baggage and transfers.
latest report
thanks for all the responses. I am flexible on dates in January therefore leaning towards waiting until last minute.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy